Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-17-2015, 12:51 PM   #1
CharlesHouseii
Pulp Added Cosplay

Jessica Nigri responds to sexual harrassment in cosplay by intending to reduce number

Here is the post she put on FB.

I am not that concerned with her, but it speaks to a much larger issue in the community. Whether she wears something revealing or not does not make the treatment reasonable.
CharlesHouseii is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-17-2015, 03:18 PM   #2
Syon
leads the crusade

I'm suprised she cares at all. Half her sucess is build on the simple fact that many men care more for boobs and ass than the actual costume. And till this point, she silently accepted that and pandered to it willingly and aware of it. And before you are going to say I envy her: No, I don't.

No, I don't envy a fame status, that is build on men filling the comment section with variations of the word "boobs" and other lewd comments, just because the same guys are buying her underwear pictures and send her presents. Not even 2,1 milion facebook likes make such a toxic fandom desireable.

But...back to topic. She never said anything about the comments. She never policed even the nastiest ones. And now she is supriesed when her fans are in the audiance and act like they always do, because she always acted like she is ok with this? What did she expected? Those people are not into cosplay because of the craftmanship. They are interested because there are pretty ladies in short skirts and much cleverage. Thats sad, yes. But not suprising. And I doubt its a "community issue" as I don't count her followers to be representing a close connected part to the cosplay community as a whole.

Last edited by Syon : 08-17-2015 at 04:53 PM.
Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2015, 04:07 PM   #3
HandsomeCosplay
I've got too much fabric!

Like Syon said, she's never policed or spoken out against the online fanbase she has, being mostly men who are there for TnA, that she's effectively pandered to for ages. She can do sexy cosplays and pander all she wants, that's fine, I don't care, but acting like this is new coming from these people, seems wrong.

The fanbase for cosplayers is generally disgusting and I don't see anyone call it out, so while maybe this'll open a dialogue on it, I don't like this approach.

Flannery (Pattern Fussing, Pokemon ORAS)
Kinu (Satsuki, KLK)
Wolf Dad (Planning, Wolf Children)

Booked for Otakon 2016, fingers crossed for Katsucon 2016

Tumblr Facebook
HandsomeCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2015, 04:17 PM   #4
Otaku Gunso
half elf flame haze

I really don't know who she is but by the sound of some of you guys she pretty much asked for it and is now surprised because it got out of hand in a crowd. However one cosplays is completely up to them but this is why I mostly decide to keep my clothes on.
Unread 08-17-2015, 05:19 PM   #5
NaughtsApproach

Jessica Nifri is talented, and the 2 issues she brought up in the post are very valid.
issue 1 is that no one gives her any respect(if you can call it that) or positive attention, even as a judge, if she is not dressed skimpy. The issue with sexy cosplays goes both ways. no one gives the time of day to none skimpy cosplays, but if you do go skimpy, you lose respect for the public. and that is wrong. how can she win?

issue 2 is that while the women get no respect or positive vibes aside from whistles and comments(is that good? i dont really think so) they will always get more attention than male cosplayers, for the sexy factor. and male cosplayers who work just as hard on their costumes as the girls get completely ignored.

both these issues are wrong. and should not be looked at as less than that because someone doesnt like Nigri for whatever reason.

Western CO Cosplay group

:Website:
http://futagocosplay.wix.com/futagocosplay

:FaceBook page:
http://www.facebook.com/WeAreFutagoCosplay

Take a look at our pages!<3
NaughtsApproach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2015, 05:39 PM   #6
Syon
leads the crusade

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtsApproach View Post
Jessica Nifri is talented, and the 2 issues she brought up in the post are very valid.
issue 1 is that no one gives her any respect(if you can call it that) or positive attention, even as a judge, if she is not dressed skimpy. The issue with sexy cosplays goes both ways. no one gives the time of day to none skimpy cosplays, but if you do go skimpy, you lose respect for the public. and that is wrong. how can she win?

issue 2 is that while the women get no respect or positive vibes aside from whistles and comments(is that good? i dont really think so) they will always get more attention than male cosplayers, for the sexy factor. and male cosplayers who work just as hard on their costumes as the girls get completely ignored.

both these issues are wrong. and should not be looked at as less than that because someone doesnt like Nigri for whatever reason.
Its not about liking Nigri or not. Not at all. But I was prepared for these kind of comments to come. If it isn't envy one gets accused of, then its the simple "not liking her".
My suprise is a genuine one and my observations of her behavior and generated public image is not tainted by any envy or dislike for her as a person.

First of all: Its not true that a women in cosplay has to go the "oh look, here are my boobs and they are about to fall out of my bikini top"- route in order to be recognized and admired. I know plenty of good examples for that, who gathered their fanbase by far more noble ways. Of course, if you want to peak in the milions you likely have to use your body and skimpy clothes, because after all cosplay is a small hobby and if you want to extend your appeal, this is the easiest way to do it.

But thats not the point. The point is, that Jessica knowingly and willingly engaged into fostering and producing this fanbase she has now. By not caring about their behavior on the one hand and building up her entire cosplay portfolio around this image of sexyness without boundaries (and by that I mean her whole internet persona was like her cosplays. Sexy, funny, simple and with a big cleverage all the time). And she is sucessful with that and thats probably why she kept going that way and continued to blend out everything else. And I always said, if she can ignore it and be happy, good for her.

But looking back at this previous behavior I can't say anything else than "you reap what you sow". She can't suddenly act all suprised about this. This has happening directly below each and every social media post she has ever made in the past few years. What is she thinking?
Those are the same guys from her comment section. And they act like they are used to do towards her and she has been the main exposure of cosplay to many of them. And I said that maybe one and a half year ago, but Nigris fanbase it bad for the cosplay community and now suddenly she cares? Great, but thats a little too late for me to feel like clapping my hands for her words of wisdom.
Unread 08-17-2015, 06:13 PM   #7
ChibiDannimon

Basically:
Sexy Cosplay: Bad, they only do it to tease men

Non-Sexy Cosplay: Legitimate cosplayers.

2015-2016 Planned and Current Cosplays

Current:
Batgirl of Burnside *Needs new mask and retailoring*
Officer Jenny *Needs new Hat*
Batwoman Bombshell *Completed*
Finn the Human Boy *Completed*
Rei Ryugazaki *Completed*
Ryuko Matoi *Planned aiming for Halloween*
Zero Suit Samus *In progress, Aiming for Halloween*
New 52 Wonder Woman or Injustice Wonder Woman *Planned, aiming for 2016 though*
ChibiDannimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2015, 07:03 PM   #8
KaiM0n
justcos

I've read some but not all of Nigri's post. Judging by this the lewd commentators aren't in full force as they are in general cosplay pages where most of the page admins post pictures of skimpy cosplay girls. So it's not much of her fault if they are using her pictures just to get likes and pay-per-clicks. From what I've seen from her posts and other cosplayers alike. She posts many other things on her page besides just pictures of herself: like other cosplayers, projects, random things, cons and videos. So just like how Nigri claims her style represents part of the cosplay community. Lewd fanboys/fangirls represents part off her comment section.
So when she does post pics of herself. That's when they really come out. And she doesn't post those as often from what I've seen.

Last edited by KaiM0n : 08-17-2015 at 07:32 PM.
KaiM0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2015, 07:14 PM   #9
megers67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiDannimon View Post
Basically:

I wouldn't say that. A woman can be sexy because she feels comfortable in it and not because she wants to tease men. They can put just as much work into a sexy cosplay as someone might in one that shoes less skin. I do concede that there are plenty of people who don't see it this way but that doesn't mean the issue is so clear cut as this.

As far as Nigri goes, I don't know much about her or anything and based on this it seems she has encouraged this sentiment. However based on this statement by her it felt like she was seeing this idea directed at people other than herself and that may have led to this change. I hope that she keeps up this dialogue in the future as opposed to simply going back to the way things were.

At any rate, just because she may tolerate it for herself doesn't mean she has to do so towards anyone else. I think that might be what she is getting at? Maybe she makes that clear going forward but I hope so.
megers67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2015, 07:16 PM   #10
Otaku Gunso
half elf flame haze

Quote:
Basically:

Not necessarily, but I will admit its kinda hard to take someone seriously when they are almost in there underwear :P Its almost like that old anxiety trick where they say "just imagine everyone as if they were in there underwear". Surely they don't say all that for no reason. I'm sure even Yaya Han probably gets more respect then that. Though I don't know how her fan base runs honestly. But I do at least know she exists.
Unread 08-17-2015, 07:54 PM   #11
Scunosi

I'll admit I'm surprised, and actually a little impressed, to hear this from Nigri. While there's multiple well-known cosplayers, if you had a spectrum of craft vs. sex appeal Nigri would be on the farther end of sex appeal. So I'm impressed she noticed that as a problem, because it seems like something she tends to actively encourage, at least for herself. It's heartening to see she does have respect for other more craft-centric cosplayers and recognizes her own sex appeal self as something that shouldn't be a standard (because there really shouldn't be a standard).

I must say I haven't heard of this issue at other big cons and contests, but maybe I just wasn't following it closely. I'm aware general harassment can be an issue, but to actually catcall people at a contest goes even beyond that. I have to wonder if part of the problem was a culture thing. She did note the event was in Chile, and I've had multiple Spanish/culture classes that at least mentioned "mashismo" being a problem in various Latin countries. I know online anyone will say anything, but in person people are usually a little more tactful. I can only hope this was the case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by megers67 View Post
At any rate, just because she may tolerate it for herself doesn't mean she has to do so towards anyone else. I think that might be what she is getting at? Maybe she makes that clear going forward but I hope so.
This is also what I was thinking but forgot to mention! I think this is really important.

Upcoming Conventions
PAX Prime-tickets got and hotel booked!

Upcoming Cosplays
Garnet-Steven Universe : Rose Quartz-Steven Universe : Frog kigurumi

Last edited by Scunosi : 08-17-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2015, 09:22 AM   #12
Destinyamber
大好き

This thread is very quickly turning into "She asked for it" and it makes me really sad

2015 Con Schedule:
Tora-Con: Apr 18 &19
ColossalCon: June 4-7
CamillusCon: July 11
Liberty City Anime Con: Aug 28-30
RetroGameCon: Nov 14
Destinyamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2015, 10:06 AM   #13
Fiore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinyamber View Post
This thread is very quickly turning into "She asked for it" and it makes me really sad
While the crowds behavior is inexcusable and Nigri's words are very true and to the point; she does need to take responsibility for the fact that she's been excusing and egging on this behavior for quite some time by not once calling out the rude and disgusting comments that go on her fan page. Instead when people comment that she needs to show more cleave she usually gives them what they want and doesn't repremand them for their behavior. I think that's why a lot of people are rolling their eyes at her recent post because she let it escalate for years and is only now calling it out.

I'm not saying she deserves it and I don't think she needs to stop wearing revealing cosplays, but she does need to start cracking down on a lot of her fanbase if she doesn't wish to be treated like a piece of meat because they now think they can get away with it. She's a nice person and I do enjoy some of her costumes, heck I think she's really cool; I just hate her fanbase. Like a lot. Seriously, go to any of her posts and read the comments. I promise that over 50 percent of them are gross or disrepectful in one way or another.

I'm certain this post may get me some flack so I feel the need to point out that I am in full support of the cosplay is not consent movement as well as believing that cosplayers should cosplay what they like. I applaud those who have confidence enough to show more skin than normal. That being said if you start building a fanbase and don't approve of how your supposed fans are talking to you, you need to weed that crap out quick and put your foot down immediately. Otherwise it'll escalate and be impossible to get rid of. Just my view of the matter.

Megara from Hercules- 54%
Morrigan from Dragon Age- 36%
The Abandoned Doll from Bloodborne- 48%
Lucky Chloe from Tekken 7- 0%
Anna from Frozen-- Ican'thelpit (This will likely get dropped if I run out of time on the other costumes)- 0%
Fiore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2015, 10:28 AM   #14
Syon
leads the crusade

Quote:
Well, she did...sort of. This event here was a catastrophe waiting to happen and its suprising it didn't happened earlier. You can't build up a fanbase full of jerks, who are allowed to comment in the most inappropiate ways because they happen to pay your bills, and then be suprised when it backfires.

Many people in the crowd probably were fans of her, who came to the contest to see her and they where expecting to act like they always do and that Jessica would deliver what she always does. The only one I feel really sorry for is the Mad Moxxi cosplayer and the group of guys who later won.
Unread 08-18-2015, 11:07 AM   #15
CharlesHouseii
Pulp Added Cosplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtsApproach View Post

This is sadly the only comment up until you posted that I have much interest in. It attacks a genuine issue rather than the person they feel brought it upon themselves.

Whatever someone wears doesn't justify poor behavior. We need to tackle toxic elements in the community instead of the person they follow.

Quote:
Basically:

This may be surprising, but women don't dress for men, or you. They don't do it to "tease" anyone. They do it for the positive attention and interest in the hobby, as any cosplayer does.

Quote:
And seemingly the majority from women, which is depressing. The cultural expectation to tear apart other people of your gender is sad to see in a community about supporting your colleagues. I really have no interest in discussing with someone like that, because their opinion is essentially misplaced and unsalvageable.
CharlesHouseii is offline   Reply With Quote