Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 07-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Con ticket pricing

How do you guys feel about different cons' ticket pricing structures? Do you buy VIP tickets or prefer when only single-price GA tickets are offered? What do you think about tiered pricing for special perks or merch? Things like reserved seating or front of the line access so you don't have to wait in line? (as in, you pay extra so you can bypass lines for certain onsite events) What about options for events that cost extra on top of your admission ticket? Such as meet-and-greet celebrity dinner or cocktail party, award show dinner, etc?

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #2
Floating World

I'm going to my first con next year, so maybe my opinion will change, but personally I'm glad that stuff exists. I probably wouldn't go to a con without it. Not because I'm snobby or anything, just because I get a lot of anxiety in crowds and if I can pay extra to have reserved seating or bypass lines, that would help a lot. There is no question that I'm getting a VIP pass simply because I feel like it gives me a little extra buffer against the crowds.

I think you have to sell tickets for extra events that would surely be very popular, like parties or meet-and-greets, because otherwise they would be a mob scene and the events would be sort of pointless.
"... Living only for the moment, turning our full attention to the pleasures of the moon, the snow, the cherry blossoms and the maple leaves; singing songs, drinking wine, diverting ourselves in just floating, floating; ... refusing to be disheartened, like a gourd floating along with the river current: this is what we call the floating world..." Asai Ryoi, c. 1661
Floating World is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
schmemy
shh-meh-mee

I have some friends who like to pay extra for VIP tickets and such, but since I'm not a huge fan of autographs or celebrity panels, I generally just get a basic weekend pre-reg ticket. Some people want to pay more for the early access, and then there's people like me who'd rather save money (to later spend in the dealer's room )

However, I just attended AX, where I paid an extra fee to attend a special Kill la Kill event, and I liked that! It was still cheaper than getting a VIP pass, and since it was one of the only two events I wanted to go to, it was nice that I knew I had reserved seating and wouldn't have to get to the event room hours early to get good seats.

In Progress Cosplays
Override Satsuki (Kill la Kill) | Episode 24 Credits Satsuki (Kill la Kill) | Sailor Mars (Sailor Moon)

Next con: Akai Con
Souda | Bertholdt | Ymir

Last edited by schmemy : 07-22-2014 at 11:41 AM.
schmemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
Shirayuki~Chan

At my main con, there isn't a VIP ticket. It's pretty much like, normal tickets, sponsors, and I think that's it? It WOULD be nice to bypass the lines for big events, though. I hate standing in line. But at the same time I know I wouldn't pay the extra money for it anyways.

I did go to a smaller con that had it though. The con was so disorganized, I don't think it was the BEST idea...

Cosplays:
Daenerys Targaryen- Game of Thrones
Blackfire- Teen Titans
Tharja- Fire Emblem: Awakening
Opal Beifong- Legend of Korra

Shirayuki~Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
Syon

I think none of the cons I go to has something like a VIP ticket and currently I'm not even sure if any of the conventions in my country has such a thing at all.

Next cosplay: Whitemane

Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #6
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

So if there was a special event offered that required an extra cost, just because for example the organizers need to know a number of seats to provide, or dinners to order, etc would that be okay?

Or $2-3 charge on top of ticket price for front of line access to specific areas (like hands-on workshops)? What if that privilege was limited to a certain number of times you were allowed to bypass the line? Like 5 times over the weekend, you get preferred access and seating to your choice of different hands-on workshops with materials included? All you have to do is pre-reg by a specified deadline before the workshop happens. Any other workshops offered, you are free to line up with everyone else for first-come-first-served after reserved seating has been allowed in

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs

Last edited by dizzymonochrome : 07-22-2014 at 12:16 PM.
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 12:24 PM   #7
Syon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymonochrome View Post
So if there was a special event offered that required an extra cost, just because for example the organizers need to know a number of seats to provide, or dinners to order, etc would that be okay?

Or $2-3 charge on top of ticket price for front of line access to specific areas (like hands-on workshops)? What if that privilege was limited to a certain number of times you were allowed to bypass the line? Like 5 times over the weekend, you get preferred access and seating to your choice of different hands-on workshops with materials included? All you have to do is pre-reg by a specified deadline before the workshop happens. Any other workshops offered, you are free to line up with everyone else for first-come-first-served after reserved seating has been allowed in
I think its fine to charge more, if you offer aditional extras. And limited ticket numbers are necessary if that extra depends on a limited source (for example: I went to an event that took place the day before a con. It was a dinner with show program, so they needed to charge more and limit the tickets).
If a convention can offer any sort of "pay extra for nice thing XY" then they should try it, but a balance would also be important, because it shouldn't develope into a "hidden" raise of the ticket price.

Next cosplay: Whitemane

Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 01:11 PM   #8
foxy
Professional Catgirl :)

I've done both; most cons I attend I don't do the VIP thing, but I do with Katsucon which is a blessing for getting membership almost instantly as opposed to the snaking line that takes many hours. They offer a t-shirt, bag and different con badge as part of the VIP, though I've not taken advantage of the "early entry" to the dealers room which comes with it.
foxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 01:39 PM   #9
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

None of the cons I go to have the VIP thing, one, however, has a thing where if you are staying at a con hotel (it's in a convention center so they have contracts with a lot of the surrounding hotels) you show you are staying there and you and your room mates can all get a wrist thing that says you can go in things 15 minutes early and whatnot..like panels and main events and concerts. But that's only the one con

Personally I wouldn't pay more just to go ahead of people..I hardly attent panels and out of 6 cons, only attended one main event..and no concerts or anything..None of that is why I go so it'd be kinda a waste
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 02:10 PM   #10
DiscoGlacier

I only pay for general passes. Because I don't normally attend panels or special events, the only advantage a VIP pass will give me is skipping to the front of a line. For how much more expensive these passes are than the general passes, the payoff simply isn't worth it, even if it means skipping a grueling line (i.e. the registration line of AX 2014). Since I want nothing to do with AX in its current state, I likely won't even be going to any cons that have the VIP option in the foreseeable future.
DiscoGlacier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #11
schmemy
shh-meh-mee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymonochrome View Post

The Kill la Kill event I went to was huge. It had the Japanese voice actors, director, character designer Q+A, the first episode of the English dub, and Eir Aoi preforming, who sang the theme song and several of her other big hits. My friends and I paid $35 each for seats in the middle section, and I had absolutely no regrets about it, because of what a spectacle the event was. Charging admission for the event meant that those willing to pay more got to be near the front, and, honestly, it was kind of nice because the people who paid to get in were definite Kill la Kill fans, instead of just people looking for a way to spend their time at the con.

The idea of having a specific number of times to bypass a line seems cool in theory, but chances are that it would mean some events are flooded with those who want to get in before the crowd, and then it's just back to square one. It might be better if (and I'm sorry if this is what you were trying to say and I misunderstood), during pre-reg, you picked what five events you wanted, and that once an event was full of "pre-selections", it became unavailable and you'd just have to wait in line the day of if you still wanted to go. Does that make any sense or am I just rambling. :P (or both)

In Progress Cosplays
Override Satsuki (Kill la Kill) | Episode 24 Credits Satsuki (Kill la Kill) | Sailor Mars (Sailor Moon)

Next con: Akai Con
Souda | Bertholdt | Ymir
schmemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #12
Unaki

I have a lifetime membership to MTAC in TN. Its pretty nice. I get to enter the dealer's room when I want (Line-cut privileges), get access to the green room with staff and VIP guests, a special badge and I never have to pay for a ticket again. I only paid about $180 a couple years ago and now they are $400. There is also a chance that I can upgrade for the same price I paid to a double pass which would give me lifetime access to both MTAC and GMX depending on if the owners actually make this change.

If its a large con that offers it that I know I will be going to a lot then I always try and get some sort of multi-use pass.
Unaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 04:34 PM   #13
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

None of the cons I've been to have VIP. The closest we have is paying a couple bucks extra if you want to attend the BJD Tea Party or something, since they need money for all of the food.

Currently working on:
Scarlett O'Hara Drapery Dress -- Gone With the Wind
Deandra -- MPGiS
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF
Princess Suwa -- Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

My favorite cosplays:
Brittnay Matthews -- MPGiS
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck
Princess Kenny -- South Park

Tumblr: http://justacrazedfangirl.tumblr.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
EvilLittleKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #14
Pocketfightr
Merc who grants wishes

I've been to a few cons that have VIP/Sponsor stuff... never had interest. Guests rarely interest me and getting into the dealers room early or special VIP suites aren't that big of a deal to me. I am paying a fairly large sum of money for a workshop at Dragon Con, but I'm validating it by it teaching me a new skill and it being run by a guest I have respect for. It took a lot to get me to go for it though.
Nene (Bubblegum Crisis) -eventually?

2014 Cons:
Detour
Acen
Dragon*Con
Nebraskon
Pocketfightr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 06:13 PM   #15
cosplaynewb11

The one con i got to, you have to pay extra for the fancy ball they have every year and to get your badge early. I have done the early ticket thing but not the ball. I don't like the ball. Since my local con has gone up in the price of almost everything this year, i think i will have to weight my options closely for next year.
cosplaynewb11 is offline   Reply With Quote