Inventory Blowout! Professional quality cosplay wigs 30-40% off with shipping included - Click Here for details

Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 07-19-2017, 07:55 PM   #1
JaceGem
No Longer Afraid

Have you ever not been recognized at a con?

I've been going to cons for three years and was curious if anyone else has ever used a cosplay that no one has recognized. I've mostly been cosplaying characters from popular fandoms (DW, Vocaloid, Pokemon, etc, and I'm a part of all those fandoms myself) but there's been a few times no one knew the Vocaloid I was cosplaying or the Pokemon trainer I was cosplaying. Has that ever happened to you?

Tumblr

Twitter
JaceGem is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-19-2017, 08:25 PM   #2
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

I have cosplays that I'm shocked if someone /does/ recognize me.

I think that even with all of my weird, obscure, older series cosplays, I only have one that no one has recognized, and that was Eruca from Radiant Historia. I've actually had two people recognize a late-game version (one of 4 different possible versions) of a character (one of 6 possible player characters) in an SNES-era JRPG that was never released outside of Japan. That one stopped someone in his tracks once when he saw me.

But really, I have several costumes from older and lesser-known series that I'm extremely lucky to get half a dozen people at a 30,000 person con recognizing, and usually average 0 - 3 people recognizing every time I wear them.

Since I tend towards this type of costume, it's very common for me to go through an entire con without anyone knowing what I'm dressed from. (I often still get a lot of picture requests from people who like the costume itself, though.) I also tend towards lesser-known variants of characters when those are available, so even if the series is popular, it's often an outfit that isn't done as often (though sometimes that makes the outfit more popular because there's, for example, 20 default Pearls and only one tuxedo Pearl). (Though Dragon Half fans who haven't read the manga still seem to get my Mink cosplay, since I suppose the hair and wings and coneboobs are iconic. It's sad how much that series is forgotten, though!)

I haven't done any really minor side characters in JJBA yet, so I guess I'll keep you posted once I do (I have a few on my list), though I have a feeling that people will know what series I'm from even if they don't remember the exact minor part 7 villain who was in 3 only 3 chapters, as an example. That's one where it's a popular series but people might not know /exactly/ which character, since there's so goddamn many of them, though the designs are usually pretty...obvious. (Though Homestucks? Homestucks would get it, no matter what AU variant or one out of hundreds of characters you did. That was an interesting fandom experience back in the day.)
Unread 07-19-2017, 08:35 PM   #3
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

Something like that slightly happened to me this year, but only because I was boxed in by school work plus not finding the right items, I had improvised and made a hipster variant. But I added the key elements of the characters to wear with my ensemble. I was so dang surprised and happy that someone had recognized me; however it was because he happened to be dressed from the same series as me. It still made me happy, though. I also had opted to go this route so I didn't waste the money on the materials.

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too."
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2017, 08:57 PM   #4
Cameron1138
Kingslayer

I often tend to like cosplaying lesser know characters from things that aren't typically cosplayed from, so pretty often. This year I'm even planning to do a couple semi-real world cosplays (Second Officer Charles Lightoller based on his portrayal in Titanic and Howard Hughes based on his portrayal in The Aviator).

In progress/planned: Roy Mustang (FMA: Brotherhood), Aldo Raine (Inglourious Basterds), Han Solo (Star Wars Ep V), Tommy Shelby (Peaky Blinders), Steve Rogers (Captain America: TFA), Jonathan Byers (Stranger Things)

FacebookdeviantArtInstagram
Cameron1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2017, 09:45 PM   #5
meowl

Not many people recognize me as Capt. Okita from Space Battleship Yamato. The series was 40 years ago. Most people ask if I am portraying George R.R. Martin.
Unread 07-19-2017, 09:46 PM   #6
ghosgreen

Its happened a few times but when you cosplay some of the older and I guess less mainstream stuff it's bound to happen. If anything it's quite gratifying when you meet those that do know who you are and then really appreciate it. But yeah it's happened to me a couple of times. Sometimes it's from stuff that I was sure people would know who it is but they don't. I mean yes again do your own armored design of a character it's bound to happen but even when i told them who I was I got some blank stares. It's was fascinating to say the least.
ghosgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2017, 10:21 PM   #7
Alyxiane
Still a growing bud.

There is a difference between someone recognizing your cosplay vs someone getting pictures or starting a conversation to let you know that they recognize your cosplay. I have a feeling those numbers are just off a tad.

But as for never being recognized..... can't say I have, to be honest. The closest I'd probably have that happen is when I did an OC based off of the Runners from Mirror's Edge since I had the bag and my Faith cosplay from a year prior was already recycled into something else. But even then, there was still one person that recognized I was supposed to be from Mirror's Edge despite that I wasn't any of the known Runners. The bag did helped, since it was the iconic yellow back from the 2008 game, but it was also the fact that I was in this sort of athletic gear with tattoos on my body that resembled enough of what you'd see on Faith and the other Runners. In essence, my "OC" wasn't recognized (because who would?) but the design did lol

I'd imagine for when you cosplay from a more niche series, or even a lesser-known character from an otherwise popular series, recognition does falter a bit. But you also get the people who really do get excited recognizing your character because of how it's more rare to see someone do it.
D.Va (Carbon Fiber and magical girl variants) ~ Overwatch | Miriam ~ Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Last edited by Alyxiane : 07-19-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Alyxiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2017, 03:28 AM   #8
Syon
leads the crusade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyxiane View Post

I'd imagine for when you cosplay from a more niche series, or even a lesser-known character from an otherwise popular series, recognition does falter a bit. But you also get the people who really do get excited recognizing your character because of how it's more rare to see someone do it.
Thats my experiance, too. I've done two World of Warcraft cosplays, Jaina and Whitemane. While more people recognized Jaina, Whitemane definitly got the most excited reactions.

Working on: Paletress (50%) + upgrading Jainas staff with lights
Next convention: Gamescom
Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2017, 09:32 AM   #9
JaceGem
No Longer Afraid

It's definitely really nice when someone DOES recognize your character and talks to you about the series or your cosplay. Had a girl and her friend come up to me while I was cosplaying Rin Kagamine's Daughter of Evil outfit and tell me they didn't see many Story of Evil series cosplayers and they really liked my cosplay. For that particular costume that was the only bit of recognition I got but it's still really cool to know someone else knows an obscure/not as well known character.

Tumblr

Twitter
Unread 07-20-2017, 09:37 AM   #10
JaceGem
No Longer Afraid

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrickind View Post
(Though Homestucks? Homestucks would get it, no matter what AU variant or one out of hundreds of characters you did. That was an interesting fandom experience back in the day.)
Duuuddee. Homestuck is another one of my main fandoms and I can tell you from experience at cons it doesn't matter what character/variant of a character you cosplay, someone else will know who you're dressed as if they're in the fandom. Saw someone cosplaying Davesprite walking alongside a Dirk this year and BOTH of them were instantly recognizable to me.

Tumblr

Twitter
Unread 07-20-2017, 01:47 PM   #11
Tiffany_Park

I have: Halceles from Crimson Spell. It's a striking costume so there are some people who want pics, (and at least one person even remembered the costume from the last time I wore it a few years ago) but not one person has recognized the character. The manga is pretty obscure with a limited audience, and the character is a minor one. So yes, it does happen. It's the only one I've done that ever went completely unrecognized, tho.
Tiffany_Park is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #12
WondererBailey
o3o)/

It has happened twice.

The first time I was cosplaying Hakkai from Saiyuki

And someone came up and asked if I was cosplaying Gaara

The second time, I was cosplaying Jack Walker from Pokemon and nobody recognized me lolsob

Lushen - [Summoners War] - 20% / Naja Gref - [Sands of Destruction] - 85%
/ Aizawa Shouta - [My Hero Academia] - Planning

2018 Cons: Kumoricon, Sakuracon, Anime Expo & Supernatural Con (Seacon)

W. Bailey Photography
Deviantart - Facebook - Tumblr - World Cosplay - Cospix
WondererBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2017, 04:33 PM   #13
FalconW

Let's see,

Cosplayed as Prince Eccentro from Mon Colle Knights at Otakon 2008 and at first, well most of the day, no one knew who I was cosplaying.

Dominikov from Murder Princess. Ai-Kon 2008-2009 and Otakon 2008, again, nobody knew who I was cosplaying, except for Caitlin Glass, the ADR Director for the anime and I made her day with my costume.

Fey from Moe Moe Niji Taisen. Aside from a few friends who knew about it in advance, nobody again knew who I was cosplaying.
FalconW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2017, 12:25 PM   #14
Rikki chan
Otaku Gamer Disney Geek

Only once that I can remember. For my second year at a con, I decided to cosplay as Mitsuki from Full Moon O Sagashite. But since It was only my second cosplay and I had zero cosplay making skills back then, I understand why it didn't get noticed. I hope that someday I'll get to remake it or choose a different outfit that the character wears.
Reynn World of FF 40%
Lugia Pokemon 30%
Merida Brave 30%
P Elena Elena of Avalor 30%
P Leia Star Wars Ep 4 30%
Mal Descendants 30%
Halloween Miku 30%
Madoka Kaname 20%
Eternal Sailor Moon SM Stars 20%

Planned
Songstress Yuna FFX2
Miraculous ladybug
Kairi KH2
P Sakura Tsubasa
Musa Winx Club
Sage Star Darlings
P Zelda LoZ Skyward Sword
Fluttershy My Little Pony
Asuna Sword art online ALO Titania
Yuko Akb0048
May Pokemon
Rikki chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2017, 11:39 PM   #15
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

About 80% of my cosplays are not recognized often enough for me to be happy about it, but you can't expect everyone to know every character of every series and to be able to see that translated into real life. I mean, there are some that most people know, such as Ash from Pokemon, Miku from Vocaloid, Goku from DBZ, or the Halo armored characters, but most are not near as well known.

Slapthefatcat Cosplays
Southern Maryland Cosplay (Anyone can join)
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote