Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-14-2016, 05:05 PM   #1
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Being a celebrity cosplayer

Do you aspire to become a celebrity cosplayer? Being invited to several cons arround the world, being a judge at a cosplay contest, signing autographs, making cool photoshots, being a lot of people around the world who admire you and dream to meet you in person... You know, like Yaya Han, Calssara and Jessica Nigri... Or like in my country's case like Ángela Bermúdez, Hayo-Chan, Ruth Jiménez or Mau Chacón.

Despite I'd love to do some things like traveling to international cons and being more recognized as a cosplayer (which will never happen because I'm not good enough ) I thought I wouldn't want to do some things they do, in the last cons I've seen them all the time sat down at a stand selling photos with autographs and almost not doing nothing more than that, also when I went to Playcon I asked if I coult take a cosplay and play the games they said I could perfectly do it, but guest cosplayers can't because they need to attend their stands, I love to walk through the cons, look though other cosplayers and participate in all the activities I could, so I then thought a celebrity-cosplayer life wasn't for me.

How about you?

"I have two dreams in my life: Going to Japan and throwing eggs to Jeannie Mai."

Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-14-2016, 06:05 PM   #2
jdcooper97
Huge Nerd

I personally would never want to get to the point of "celebrity" mostly because I think sitting in a booth during an entire con and barely having any free time would suck and ruin the joy of it. I would certainly like to get to the point where I could get invited to a con or be in a panel or maybe to the point where I have a booth but not necessarily having to sit in it the whole time.
Unread 08-14-2016, 06:14 PM   #3
AlaizabelCray
Welcome to My World...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcooper97 View Post
I personally would never want to get to the point of "celebrity" mostly because I think sitting in a booth during an entire con and barely having any free time would suck and ruin the joy of it. I would certainly like to get to the point where I could get invited to a con or be in a panel or maybe to the point where I have a booth but not necessarily having to sit in it the whole time.
I agree. I don't know if my craftsmanship would ever be good enough to be a judge at cosplay contests, but I would love to get to the level where I would be invited to do panels and maybe have my costumes featured in articles and stuff like that.

Come stop by my cosplay page!
https://www.facebook.com/AlaizabelCrayCosplay

I've been cast as a voice actress for the second season of this awesome new web series! Come check it out and support all of the talents who worked so hard on it!
http://www.respawnseries.com/
AlaizabelCray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2016, 06:18 PM   #4
Syon
leads the crusade

No, because this is like aspiring to win the lottery. It happens to a handful of people and there is usually a good chunk of luck involved. There are many people who are excellent craftmen and who look stunning in their cosplays, yet not all of them are known behond their own region or invited to international conventions.

Working on: Paletress (50%) + upgrading Jainas staff with lights
Next convention: ?
Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2016, 08:00 PM   #5
KuruttaKanashii
Tempest in a Teapot

This is a problem with cosplay community nowadays. Everyone has heard of Yaya Han and thinks that this is how cosplay is supposed to be- but it's not a self-supporting hobby by nature, and trying to make it one is about as legit as the "I'm going to be a mangaka in Japan!" pipe dream.
Finished Cosplay: Death (SANDMAN), Trinity (The Matrix), Austria (Axis Powers Hetalia), Izaya (Durarara!!), Mey-Rin (Black Butler), Dodo, Dalekח, Mags (Doctor Who), Femme!Gambit (X-MEN), Poison Ivy (BATMAN)
Future Cosplay: MEIKO ver. Lorelei (Vocaloid), Spellcheck (Microsoft Word), Meryl Stryfe (Trigun), the Mangle (FNaF), Peridot (Steven Universe)

For cosplay photos and selfies, please visit my tumblr
KuruttaKanashii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2016, 09:11 PM   #6
Mangochutney
probably a frackpants

Cosplay celebrity, even for those who luck out and attain it on whatever scale, is still a lot of boring, shitty work. Manning a booth is boring and shitty. Judging, often, is boring and shitty. Spending hours on social media self-promoting and networking and dealing with entitled fan culture and rotten behavior, that is DEFINITELY boring and shitty.

I've done all of those things separately, and believe me, having my livelihood depending on doing all of them successfully at the same time is definitely not something I want to do.

The money isn't good. Even the top "celebrity cosplayers" in the ENTIRE WORLD have day jobs or family support. It's not something you can do as a long-term career. It gets you attention and praise, but mainly of a particular dehumanizing sort, and you have very little control over how far that goes and what form it takes.

Hell no, basically.

As a normal run-of-the-mill civilian cosplayer, I can put on a rad outfit and absorb attention and have a ton of fun--and then take it off and not have to worry about all the boring, shitty HOMEWORK that cosplay 'celebrities' have to do. No way am I going to work extra hard so I can do more extra work.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2016, 10:12 PM   #7
ghosgreen

Me nah not really. I just want to be the very best I can and nothing really more. I have a few friend who are actively trying to do that? Or well I know at least one of them is. It's a lot of hard work. You gotta be really good with your social media game, go to nearly every convention and or show and run a table. It adds up and takes a lot of time. Not really interested in those things. Heck it's why i don't even run an artist alley table for my costume group where we could probably sell some props but then we're stuck at the table. I mean sure we could get our name out there more, maybe even snag more commissions down the line but ehhhhh I just don't want to spend money on a table and then get stuck with said table all weekend when people inevitably ditch for whatever reason.
ghosgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2016, 12:10 AM   #8
Cameron1138
Kingslayer

I'd love to have more followers on my Facebook page and Instagram so I get more recognition for my workmanship (and because yeah, I'm something of an attention whore), but I wouldn't want the pressure of being a 'celebrity' cosplayer or a internet personality.

In progress: Mako (Legend of Korra), Bucky Barnes (Captain America: TFA), Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)

Planned: Big Boss/Naked Snake (MGS3), Roy Mustang (FMA: Brotherhood), Jon Snow (Game of Thrones season 6), Arno Dorian (AC Unity), Mal Reynolds (Firefly), Steve Rogers (Captain America: TFA), General Hux (Star Wars Ep VII)

FacebookdeviantArtInstagram
Cameron1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2016, 01:51 AM   #9
samwillow39

i'm not sure..
samwillow39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2016, 02:57 AM   #10
belligerent
Viking Metal

Fuck no. I don't ever want to have fans. Approach me as an equal or not at all.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, England, Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo, Prussia, Shintaro Midorima, Aragorn
Dudes I will be eventually: Guts, Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2016, 03:29 AM   #11
Syon
leads the crusade

There are some cosplayer, who are in a sense self-employed. They are (again) not the majority of the "famous" cosplayers, but they aren't unicorns either. I know for sure that Kamui and Lightning cosplay from Germany do not have normal jobs, as far as I know.
Both can probably do that, because besides the not so regular jobs at conventions, they both sell products like books, prints, props or have Patreon.

But with a realistic perspective thats another aspect of the stress you mentioned. If you are getting your main income from a self-employed job, its draining another good chunk of fun out of what once was your hobby. Because suddenly so much depends on marketing yourself, putting out content and making new cosplays.

I can understand, that from the outside its tempting, but the whole package sound like too much stress for me aswell. Although I would like to once judge a contest, just for the experiance. And of course, being invited to an american convention would help a lot in being able to cross them off my bucket list faster than waiting years to save the money necessary.

Working on: Paletress (50%) + upgrading Jainas staff with lights
Next convention: ?
Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2016, 05:37 AM   #12
Shienra

Nope, I really don't. Firstly because I'm an awkward and chaotic person who gets drained by social activities. (I prefer a couple of close friends to have fun with)
It's fun to get feedback and compliments on the stuff you worked so hard on, but being famous? Really, no thanks. Especially since everybody knows how you look like? And it attracts responsibilities and drama (at least sometimes) as well.

Secondly, cosplay is a side-hobby for me. A hobby that's fun and creative and I get to learn a lot of new things with it. But there are two passions that are way more important to me, and if I had to drop one, it would be cosplay for sure.

//Instagram//

Last edited by Shienra : 08-15-2016 at 05:44 AM.
Shienra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2016, 06:24 AM   #13
roweidekhalicon

I agree with most other posters.

It seems interesting on the surface but it must be exhausting to keep up with the social aspect of it and the constant pressure to perform and make appearances. I don't think they have much room for mistakes either, considering the kind of place the internet is.

Personally, I instantly start hating things the moment I HAVE to do them, so I wouldn't want cosplaying to ever become a job to me as I wouldn't be able to enjoy it anymore. I could probably deal with one-off invitations to judge a competition here and there, but I wouldn't want to spend all my spare time self-promoting and I'd only want to do it when it suits me, so I won't hold my breath for that opportunity
roweidekhalicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2016, 06:50 AM   #14
Viveeh
mango puff

It's hard work being famous. DX
Calne Ca human ver.
Prince Alphie

Support me
My Instagram
Viveeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2016, 09:50 AM   #15
StarsOfCassiopeia
Sparkle & Shine!

Agreed on all of the above-- it's a ton of work!

I do gotta say though that it's pretty cool when people know/see your work and recognize you at a con. I had a couple of people find me at Otakon and be like "I've been following you for years, you're so cool!!" and that's just such a good feeling. I know I just get all happy flustered like "Aaaa thank you ;-;" in response.
  • Blanche (Pokemon GO): 0% (Planning) MAGfest 2017
  • Lelouch [Emperor Robes] (Code Geass) : ??% (Patterning) Katsucon 2017
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote