Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 05-25-2016, 04:36 PM   #1
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Question Cosplaying characters out of your interest zone

I guess someone at some point has ever told you to "open to new options and broaden your interests" to cosplay new characters that you're not currently interested in or you haven't known before... Have you ever done it? Have you ever cosplayed a character out of your interest zone to explore new characters to cosplay?

The closest I'll do so far is that I'll genderbend Akane from Ranma 1/2, she's not my favorite character and I probably dislike her a little bit, but I thought it would be interesting to give her a try, otherwise I've been told to cosplay older characters because they say "I'll eventually prefer them and I should broaden my interests".

"Pero no importa, porque me tomo una Agaromba... Y todo me chupa un huevo!"

-Fernandito-
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-25-2016, 04:47 PM   #2
Mangochutney
probably a frackpants

Sounds like somebody saying in a gentle way that they're concerned about a focus on very young girls.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2016, 05:07 PM   #3
Syon
leads the crusade

I don't know how to say it... but that is not something a cosplayer (usually) gets told.
The more I think about it, the less this statement seems to make sense, even less if it does not happen with the certain context of "Hey you have random body/charactertrait X, you would be a cool Y!". There is no sense in cosplaying characters you have no own interest in, in any way.

It feels weird, but I'm in the same boat as Mango here, this is someones subtle try to direct you away from your current love for a certain type of characters...for reasons you might find to be not so pleasent.

Working on: Jaina (32%) + Paletress (35%)
Next convention: gamescom 2016
Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2016, 05:17 PM   #4
AlaizabelCray
Welcome to My World...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syon View Post

It feels weird, but I'm in the same boat as Mango here, this is someones subtle try to direct you away from your current love for a certain type of characters...for reasons you might find to be not so pleasent.
Huh...I thought I was the only one who picked that up but then wondered if I might've been reading too much into it but I digress.

Usually I don't see a lot of point myself in cosplaying characters I'm not interested in. Sometimes I will though if I really, really like the character design (like with my Rainbow Dash cosplay for instance. Out of the Mane 6 I relate to her the least and I was really surprised she was my first MLP cosplay, but I loved her color scheme and thought cosplaying her to the NDK rave might be fun. It was also a GIANT leap out of my comfort zone as far as how much skin I wanted to show, but that's another story all together). But honestly, I feel what I just described isn't really the same as what you've been told and I really don't know what to make of that.

Cosplay Lineup for Denver Comic Con:
Friday/First half of Saturday: Fem!Usopp (One Piece)
Second half of Saturday/Sunday: Titania Asuna (Sword Art Online)

Come stop by my cosplay page!
https://www.facebook.com/AlaizabelCrayCosplay

I've been cast as a voice actress for the second season of this awesome new web series! Come check it out and support all of the talents who worked so hard on it!
http://www.respawnseries.com/
AlaizabelCray is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2016, 05:41 PM   #5
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
Sounds like somebody saying in a gentle way that they're concerned about a focus on very young girls.
Not exactly, it has to do more with age-targeted shows/games/movies, cause I cosplay boys too.

"Pero no importa, porque me tomo una Agaromba... Y todo me chupa un huevo!"

-Fernandito-

Last edited by Maurishio-kun : 05-25-2016 at 05:45 PM.
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2016, 07:04 PM   #6
CapsuleCorp
Future Pirate King

Nope!

There is not enough time nor money in the world to sink into something I don't like.

As for whoever's telling you to try different things...yeah, no, just watching or playing something, or building a costume, isn't going to change your interests. If your interests change as you age (and they will, I say at 41 looking back at what I cosplayed at 25) then that just happens naturally, you can't force it.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2016, 11:06 PM   #7
Respawning

I sometimes get convinced to do costumes that I'm not super interested in because a friend wants me to do something with them, but those usually don't get finished. If I'm not super interested in them then I find it incredibly difficult to stay motivated to work on it.

Past costumes: Commander Shepard N7 armour from Mass Effect, Steampunk Valkyrie, Morrigan from Dragon Age, Tiefling Sorcerer from DnD, various random Halloween costumes, Thor Goddess of Thunder
Future costumes: Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn, Maleficent from live action movie, Ciri from Witcher 3
Dreamy-dream costumes: Lara Croft from Tomb Raider, Daenarys Targaryen, Lady Groot, Troll/Orc from World of Warcraft, Lady Joker, Polaris from Xmen
Respawning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2016, 07:33 AM   #8
Penlowe

I have only made costumes I had no interest in for money, i.e. commissions that someone else was going to wear. That kind of making though has a completely different set of motivations.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2016, 08:11 AM   #9
roseandzippin
White and Nerdy

The only instance where I could see me cosplaying for reasons other than sheer love of the character is for incredible design. For example, Sakizo designs. These characters don't really exist outside of the (albeit beautiful) illustrations, so cosplays are solely from a design point of view. However, that doesn't really inhibit me from wanting to make one of those gorgeous outfits (especially Sylph)!

I'm a Florida graduate student who must choose between following the heart (which wears a flower crown and carries a basket of cookies while skipping along a beach) or following the brain (which wears a graduation cap and carries a clean bill of no student loan debt). So far, I choose to follow both.

Future:

MegaCon Tampa 2016- Mulan

Previous:

MegaCon 2016 - Fem!Link
Walker Stalker Orlando 2015 - Beth Greene
MegaCon 2015 - Fem!Castiel
roseandzippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2016, 08:42 AM   #10
Monocle_Complex
Chessmate

I have friends that always want to do group cosplays together every single year, which means they usually try to convince me to cosplay from a certain game or anime. I tell them flat out no. My money. My time. My choice. I'm not going to put work into something that I have absolutely no passion about in the first place.

CONvergence 2017:
NCR Ranger [98% Complete]
Cat Splicer [100% Complete]

Monocle_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2016, 09:56 AM   #11
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

The only time this happened and I went along with it was when my friends kept telling me I could pull off Mitsuru from Persona 3. I ended up just doing it because I had everything for the cosplay already(I usually cosplay Minako) so it didn't cost me anything. To cosplay a character I have no interest in at all? Unless they can provide the costume for me, I'm not going to drop money for something I don't care about. I have more than enough cosplays to do with the stuff I like. Let's not throw in stuff I have no interest in.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2016, 12:11 PM   #12
Scunosi

I've technically done this once, my first real cosplay back in 2010 or '11. I was going to PAX Prime (now West) for the first time with some friends who'd been going for years and they always cosplayed. Portal 2 had just recently come out so they wanted me to join in on their Atlas and P-body group. Since it was last-minute they told me to just do Caroline, who's practically a non-character in the game, so I did. I have played Portal 2 but I'm not sure if I'd played it at the time. It was just normal clothes so it wasn't a hassle and I had fun. I haven't ever done anything else that someone suggested without having some sort of personal interest though.

I have lately found myself wanting to do some characters just based on their designs more than the a fondness for the character which is new to me, typically I only do characters I personally like. I'm not sure if I'll have the time to do any of them though as I'll still prioritize my personal faves over characters I just like cosmetically.

Upcoming Conventions
PAX West 2016, got my tickets baby!
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2016, 04:52 PM   #13
StarsOfCassiopeia
Sparkle & Shine!

I'm generally open to suggestions that my friends give me, like "Ohhhh you'd love this show and this character's design is right up your alley", but I won't commit to anything like that unless I check it out for myself and enjoy it. No sense in making something that I know nothing about, if it's my time/effort!
  • Misc. Revamps (Various): 0% (Planning) Otakon 2016
  • Ariel Sail Dress (Disney's Little Mermaid): ??% (Patterning) Summer 2016
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2016, 04:55 PM   #14
Penlowe

Quote:
that doesn't really inhibit me from wanting to make one of those gorgeous outfits (especially Sylph)!
Oh yeah! I have seen many art renderings that I said to myself "I want to make that..." without any knowledge of the character/ story.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2016, 02:09 PM   #15
ZanyGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseandzippin View Post
The only instance where I could see me cosplaying for reasons other than sheer love of the character is for incredible design.
That's what happened for me with my first costume. I always liked G.I. Joe, but I wouldn't say I LOVED Cobra Commander. But when I saw the Sideshow Collectibles rendition, I instantly knew that was going to be my first costume. It spoke to me. So I think I either have to love the design or the character for me to be interested enough to finish it. It does help to have some knowledge of the character, though. I really like the Assassin's Creed costumes, but I know nothing about the game, so I don't feel the passion I need to tackle such an involved project.
ZanyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote