Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 07-25-2015, 01:23 PM   #1
zah17

Cool Why do you cosplay?

Hi guys,

i'm currently doing a project on the topic of cosplay as i am a fan myself. I would like to have your opinions and views on why do you enjoy cosplaying? And in what ways did it have such an impact in your lives?

Please do reply to this thread, it would be of great help for my project. I look forward to your answers.
zah17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-25-2015, 02:24 PM   #2
KatTayle

Well, Halloween's always been my favorite holiday. With cosplay, you can experience Halloween whenever you want basically. It's also great for confidence, for example I'm really shy and awkward but when I cosplay outgoing characters it makes me feel better about myself.

Planned Cosplays:

- Peridot (Steven Universe): 30%
- Gijinka Meowth (Pokemon): 98%
- Gijinka Espeon (Pokemon): 50%
- May (Pokemon ORAS): 90%
- Human Bill Cipher (Gravity Falls): 60%
- Gijinka Redd (Animal Crossing): 75%
- God Tier Dave (Homestuck): 70%
- Noa Kaiba (Yu-Gi-Oh!): 20%
KatTayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2015, 02:37 PM   #3
UsagiHuuga18

I cosplay because Halloween was always fun for me and I always wanted to make my own costume. When I found about cosplay I was so excited. This also gave me another thing to do with my grandma. It has also gave me good friends and a higher confidence in myself.

Plus it's fun to be a different person even just for a little while.
Cooro (+Anima) 5%

COSPLAY I'M THINKING OF DOING:
Latvia (Hetalia)
2p! England (Hetalia)
Princess Serenity (Sailor Moon)

COSPLAY I'M DONE WITH: Chibitalia (hetalia), Hinata (Naruto), Canada (Hetalia, Casual)
CONVENTIONS I MIGHT BE GOING TO: Looking for cons to go to ,looking for New Mexico Cons to go to
UsagiHuuga18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2015, 05:15 PM   #4
TearsOfSunday
Welcome to My World...

I cosplay because it's fun to be someone else for a little while, especially my favorite characters. It's also been a great way for me to meet people, and it's helped me develop my sewing/crafting skills.

Animeland Wasabicon 2015: Human Luna (Sailor Moon)
NDK 2015: Human Luna (Sailor Moon)
Fem!France (Hetalia)
Fem!Usopp (One Piece)
Rainbow Dash (MLP) (Currently in progress - 50%)

All my cosplay/randomness goes here:
http://americandreamgirl98.deviantart.com/
TearsOfSunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2015, 05:39 PM   #5
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

I cosplay because I make a lot of money doing it.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2015, 09:37 PM   #6
pyjamalion
Ceritified Hufflepuff

I cosplay because I've always loved Halloween, and with cosplay, I can do it more than once a year. Cosplaying has helped me with sewing/crafting skills and it boost my confidence. It's also really fun and I meet people who love the same stuff I do.
Hanji Zoe
Ruby Rose
In Progress-
Velvet Scarletina-74%
Disgust-0% (planning)

Keep Moving Forward
pyjamalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2015, 09:46 PM   #7
ilafatyu
That guy

To get pictures of myself and create a fan following, because I'm an unapologetic narcissist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
I cosplay because I make a lot of money doing it.
I do get a lot more business when vending whenever I'm in cosplay...

facebook page // nh/mass cosplay events
Next event: In-CON-Ceivable

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Umbreon (Pokemon gijinka) - Constructing
Gaius (Fire Emblem: Awakening) - Buying stuff
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - Planning
Soren (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) - Constructing
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2015, 09:51 PM   #8
Cameron1138
Kingslayer

The main reasons, in no particular order:

1) I enjoy the attention I get, both in person and online, and it's given (and still gives) me a huge boost in self-confidence.

2) I feel better about myself while in costume; I feel like a different, more confident, more outgoing, less awkward person.

3) I like getting pictures of myself looking like a badass.

4) It gives me an excuse to spend unwise amounts of money buying/making cool coats, jackets, shirts, guns, swords, and more that I want but would otherwise feel too guilty about buying (which isn't to say that I don't still feel a little bad about it every now and then).

5) I really like going to cons for the general geeky atmosphere, and I don't think I'd be able to enjoy being at a con if I weren't in cosplay; as much as people say it's ok not to cosplay at cons (which, of course, it is, as long as you're personally ok with not cosplaying), I just wouldn't feel like I was fitting in.

In progress: Shay Patrick Cormac - 45%; Jacob Frye - 25%; Arno Dorian (alt outfit) - planning; Jaime Lannister (season 4/5 red jacket) - 10%; Mad Max - 90%; Otso Berg - planning

Future/considering: Daryl Dixon, improved Vash, Edward Kenway, the Driver
Cameron1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2015, 11:49 PM   #9
jdcooper97

I cosplay because I love being able to live in the shoes of my favorite fictional characters and walking the floor and being asked for pictures and interviews and the like is so gratifying and makes me feel like a celebrity for those few days. I love the feeling of badassery I get when I walk as my favorite character.
jdcooper97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2015, 05:11 AM   #10
harleychainsaw

I've always loved dressing up as a child and with my mum being a seamstress I've always been interested in making clothes, wasn't until I went to my first convention that I discovered cosplay and was like woah....I need to do this. I love getting to dress up as my favourite characters its kind of an escape from reality for me I guess Also the atomsphere at conventions is fantastic
harleychainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2015, 09:42 AM   #11
BeanBunny

I'm the best crafter. I should be the best at the hardest craft. Costuming is the hardest one I know because you have to be good at literally everything.

Also I love being in costume. The attention is nice as well.

And please visit my YouTube channel for cosplay vlogs and cosplay makeup advice!

ATTENTION NINTENDO COSPLAYERS: Don't forget about the Nintendo photoshoot at DragonCon! Any series welcome!
BeanBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2015, 09:52 AM   #12
AllonsyDarling

When I was in middle/high school, I always liked the dressing up in a costume part of being in musicals better than acting in the musicals themselves. And I really liked the feeling of accomplishment, of having made something that was beautiful and creative and being able to say that I made that, all by myself. It's helped me realize I really want to pursue a career in costume design, and I'm happier in this path than just as an English major.

I mostly cosplay because I feel prettier and somehow better than my usual self when I wear it. People ask me for my picture and appreciate my cosplays, so it's a great confidence boost. For someone who is not terribly attractive in real life (I dislike makeup as an everyday thing), it's nice to slather on a full face of makeup, do my hair or put on a wig, and become someone else who is lovely and fierce and confident.
Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter) - 85%
AllonsyDarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2015, 10:16 AM   #13
zah17

Thanks a lot for all your replies !!!
zah17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2015, 10:29 AM   #14
roseandzippin
White and Nerdy

When I was growing up, my parents weren't really big fans of taking me roaming in the streets going up to random houses and asking for candy. Also, I didn't really have any friends growing up (side effect of being a nerd), so Halloween was never a thing.

I was first exposed to cosplay when I was a con-virgin at 18 years old. My uncle (who also introduced me to sci-fi, comic books, and all things geeky) took me to MegaCon for the first time in 2014. Now, at the time, I was only a member of a few fandoms (mainly Doctor Who and Star Trek), but I marveled at how many people were dressed like different characters. It was like dress-up for adults, and they all looked so happy and proud of their creations. Most importantly, I saw that people loved the cosplayers: people smiled really big at them, took pictures, and admired their props. It was the first time I'd seen nerds being appreciated for being nerds, and it was quite an epiphany for me.

I'm fairly new to the scene, having only created three cosplays and attended four conventions, but I absolutely love it and plan to continue for quite a while. Life as a fangirl tends to pump lots of emotions for favorite characters and series into your heart, and there has to be some sort of outlet for it. For some it's fanfiction, others do fanart, and still more are talented enough to create fanvids. I've tried all three and failed pretty miserably, but cosplay doesn't require a good drawing hand or videography skills. All you need to cosplay is love for a character and time to make/collect everything you need to portray them. Also, money helps, but I'm living proof that even poor grad students can cosplay!

So, to sum it up, I love to cosplay because (in no particular order):
  1. I can express my love and passion for a character and series in a supportive environment
  2. It's a great way to meet new people in a fandom and basically geek out about your character/series
  3. It gives me an excuse to use Photoshop for cool effects and stuff, because I freaking love Photoshop
  4. It also gives me an excuse to shop for appropriate clothes and props, and also to wear clothes that I wouldn't wear otherwise
  5. I can not just show passion for a character, but actually become the character, and borrow their confidence, courage, and personality for the day

Good luck with your project, dear!

Future:

Tampa Bay Comic Con 2015 - Date TBD as Fem!Castiel
Megacon 2016 - Date TBD as Fem!Link from Skyward Sword

Previous:
Walker Stalker Orlando 2015 - Sunday, June 28 as Beth Greene
MegaCon 2015 - Sunday, April 12 as Fem!Castiel

Last edited by roseandzippin : 07-26-2015 at 10:31 AM.
roseandzippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2015, 08:50 PM   #15
Gohan Som

I love cosplay because I love feeling like my favourite characters. A con is an amazing place where characters from different eras, genres and series can be seen together. Cosplay makes me feel like I'm part of the convention and not just at it. I don't really care how many if any people ask for my picture. I simply love being part of this amazing world even if just for a day/weekend
Gohan Som is offline   Reply With Quote