Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread Yesterday, 07:52 PM   #1
CherriPetalz
waht is this

Cosplay and College Applications?

I'm a senior applying to college right now and I was wondering if anyone ever wrote about cosplaying for their essay?

I posted about this back in 9th grade and a lot cosplayers told me not to do it since it might sound childish to the readers since they were much older than the applicants but our AP Lit teacher just informed us that a lot of people who are reading those essays are actually in their early-twenties who just graduated. I feel like writing about cosplay might be an interesting read and make me 'unique'.

Just in case it's needed, I'm applying to some Ivies (which I won't get in but might as well try) but mainly aiming for UVA, William & Mary, UCLA or Berkeley. My basic stats are pretty good but not excellent for an Aisan, but I'm top 25% of my class. I'm not going to fashion school but I'm considering double majoring in Drama Technical Design and business finance. I want to mainly focus on getting a business degree before the fine arts degree so I'm not applying directly to any of the arts programs but I can still provide an 'art' supplement.
I've won a couple of awards for cosplaying, specifically at Anime USA and Otakon.

Last edited by CherriPetalz : Yesterday at 08:23 PM.
CherriPetalz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread Yesterday, 08:03 PM   #2
Ilafatyu
That guy

Does Drama Technical Design have anything to do with costuming? Have you done any skits or masquerade stuff that you could count toward it? I don't know what the major entails.

I guess it depends how you spin it.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 35%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 08:12 PM   #3
touchmon
Make All The Things!

I have written about it but I was very vague about it(never using the word "cosplay"). I just talked about how cosplay has helped my time management, some of the things I learned while doing it and that stuff. I can't remember the specifics as it was over 4 years ago when I wrote that.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 08:14 PM   #4
CherriPetalz
waht is this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
Does Drama Technical Design have anything to do with costuming? Have you done any skits or masquerade stuff that you could count toward it? I don't know what the major entails.

I guess it depends how you spin it.
Costuming is technically in Technical Design but since the colleges I'm looking at are not fashion/art schools, its not offered as a major but you can 'specialize' in it I'm assuming? My favorite costume designer graduated from Yale with a degree in technical design but 'specialized' in costumes.
Unread Yesterday, 08:16 PM   #5
CherriPetalz
waht is this

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmon View Post
I have written about it but I was very vague about it(never using the word "cosplay"). I just talked about how cosplay has helped my time management, some of the things I learned while doing it and that stuff. I can't remember the specifics as it was over 4 years ago when I wrote that.
I was thinking of just avoiding the word cosplay and saying I did costuming instead but I'm not sure if thats 'true' enough
Unread Yesterday, 08:17 PM   #6
_Deimos_

I wouldnt but then again I know very little of the Arts programs. Talk to someone in one of those programs and ask them?

Why not write out a rough draft and have people take a read?

Maybe your idea of a cosplay paper is different from others
Jazz (Eternal Sonata) 0%

"Go in strong, don't hold anything back!"--Jazz
_Deimos_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 08:22 PM   #7
usuyukisou

I wouldn't be afraid of mentioning costuming as a special skill. There's a place for extracurricular awards too, although I imagine it would only hold weight if those cosplay awards were for craftsmanship rather than performance.

As for making it the focus of your personal statement, I guess that would depend on whether costuming has changed your world view and made you a better human being. (If you subject an overly-technical essay, that would probably be incredibly dry and impersonal)

Also, depending on how competitive the Business Finance department is, you may be better off applying as a Drama Technical Design major...
Unread Yesterday, 08:25 PM   #8
Hello Goodbye

Cosplay wasn't in my college essay, but I put it under the extracurriculars section as "Costuming". I figured it would make my application stand out a bit.
Tamaki Suoh-Ouran Highschool Host Club (Complete!)
Haru-Tsuritama (Complete!)
Minami (Avatar!)- Baka and Test (10% Complete)
Other Ideas: Crona (Soul Eater),Lavi (D. Gray Man),Ginko (Mushi-shi), Finny (Black Butler), Kyo (Fruits Basket), Sue (Clover)
Hello Goodbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 08:27 PM   #9
CherriPetalz
waht is this

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuyukisou View Post
I wouldn't be afraid of mentioning costuming as a special skill. There's a place for extracurricular awards too, although I imagine it would only hold weight if those cosplay awards were for craftsmanship rather than performance.

As for making it the focus of your personal statement, I guess that would depend on whether costuming has changed your world view and made you a better human being. (If you subject an overly-technical essay, that would probably be incredibly dry and impersonal)

Also, depending on how competitive the Business Finance department is, you may be better off applying as a Drama Technical Design major...
Actually I did win those awards for craftsmenship!

I wanted to talk about the difference between myself before cosplay (I never talked, I always thought I was a worthless person at age 9 etc.) and then after cosplay when I gained confidence in my skills and some other teenage revelations.

I'm doing ED for William & Mary, which you can't actually directly apply into the business school. They wait until sophomore year and you have to have a 3.5 GPA before applying aha...
Unread Yesterday, 08:33 PM   #10
usuyukisou

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherriPetalz View Post
I wanted to talk about the difference between myself before cosplay (I never talked, I always thought I was a worthless person at age 9 etc.) and then after cosplay when I gained confidence in my skills and some other teenage revelations.
Ah, now it's cleared up, and I think that's a great topic.
Unread Yesterday, 08:38 PM   #11
CherriPetalz
waht is this

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuyukisou View Post
Ah, now it's cleared up, and I think that's a great topic.
I just hope I can write it well and not be terribly cheesy!
Unread Yesterday, 08:44 PM   #12
Padmik
mikky

I actually mentioned cosplay in my college essay for Georgia Tech and was accepted. I forgot what I wrote (it was almost 5 years ago) but I did explain that I wanted to blend together my passion for cosplay and other forms of art with engineering. My parents encouraged me to do it since I was lost on what to write for that university. So don't be afraid to write about cosplay in your essay as long as you find a way to relate it back to whatever you're applying for or talk about how it's changed you personally. College essays are meant to help you stand out after all.

[Tumblr] [CosBlog]

2014 Conventions
Shatterdome ATL, AWA
2014 Cosplays
Allison Argent (3x23) - Teen Wolf 100%
Mako Mori - Pacific Rim 100%
Rilakkuma kigurumi 100%
Levi (WoC) - SnK/AoT 95%
Fran (cover var.) - KHR! 99%
Haru (dolphin) - Free! 95%
Padmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 08:45 PM   #13
WonJohnSoup
Cosplay Photographer

I can assure you that for at least two of those schools, writing about a "hobby" won't hurt you. I think it would be interesting to read because it'll certainly be uncommon. Good execution of the narrative will be more important because you'll be walking a finer line, so definitely have some qualified folks take a look.

And I'm sure you already understand this, but I'll say it anyways that the key is to focus on the subtext of your personal development and the meaning behind it for you and not on the achievement of winning awards in and of itself.

I've seen essays from people who got into Tier 1 universities writing on topics of car tuning, martial arts and competition target shooting (that was actually one of the most well written ones I've ever read).

Upcoming Conventions:

Comikaze 2014 (Will be holding panel, "Posing for Cosplay Photos") Contact for photoshoot bookings!
Blizzcon Contact for bookings!

Last edited by WonJohnSoup : Yesterday at 08:49 PM.
WonJohnSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 09:04 PM   #14
irishattherock

I wrote mine on cosplay! Haven't applied to any schools yet but it's been read by three English teachers, two of whom had no idea what cosplay or cons were before reading it, and a college coach in the same boat, all of them loved it. Just make sure whatever you write, it's not really about cosplay-- you're selling yourself. Use cosplay to talk about who you are. (Creative? Bold? Passionate? Pick something any make it work.)

I'm in the same boat as you, btw looking at schools for costume design.

Working on:
Junko Enoshima (Dangan Ronpa) - 50%

Upcoming cons: New York Comic Con

Facebook | Tumblr
irishattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 09:12 PM   #15
division-ten
Yes, I AM an Albino

I wrote mine about an argument with my mom about cosplay. It came up in the interview too (turns out the head of the honors department at the University of Delaware nine years ago was a SCA member). It's something that will make you stand out- I ended up with a full scholarship to UD and three study abroads paid for by the university. One of the other readers told me after I was accepted that her essay was on a time she got her hand stuck in a toilet.

Make sure the essay is well written and expresses your passions. That's the important factor!
Otakon: '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14
Zenkaicon: '09
Katsucon: '10, '15
Animenext: '10, '11, '14
division-ten is offline   Reply With Quote