Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Kingdom Hearts

Unread 09-27-2004, 10:28 PM   #1
MemoriesofYuna
The Lonely Princess

Kingdom Hearts - Belle

I think we all know that loveable Disney Character Belle who everyone loves as one of the great disney princesses for her kindness and womanly strengh. it made me and my dear friend Paine Quite happy to know of her appearance in Kingdom Hearts a few years ago. now as we are off to go to otakon She said that ling with Paine and lulu she might want to go as belle. this is one of those times where i thank god for making simplicity patterns but i still need a little bit of help. i will be picking up Simplicity patter 9902 the next time im at joannes but have a few questions. i have images from the pattern and from the movie and of some wonderful bell cosplayers i stumbled across.

-How on earth is the skirt going to stak like that?!
-what type of fabric is best here?
-how do i rinkle the fabric to make creases like that?
-should i make a peticoat to go with this?
-would it be better to go with a petiecoat that's nice and poofey or make some sort of... cage thing to keep it out like that?
-what level of difficulty do you think this will be?
-cost estimate?
-will it be hard to move in?
-and where can i find a wig like that?

more questions keep buzzing in my head. im confident i can make this and i have ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD. a full year so theres no rush and i think that a year of construction is long enough. any other bell cosplayers out there have ideas? seguestions? i know that were going to use this dress forever until we can't fit in it anymore so im not afraid of going all out on it. this thread is also open to the general discussion of the dress thank you very much! -Aseret Yuna
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9902t.jpg (16.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: gif 9902fb.gif (29.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg beast2.jpg (33.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 13311017.jpg (28.2 KB, 0 views)

Unread 09-28-2004, 02:28 PM   #2
TwiliteSea
More active on ACP.

Since Halloween is coming up, I'm sure you could find the costume at a costume store to buy. Or at least get that frame for the dress. I remember seeing just the frame for the Belle dress sold separately.
Unread 09-28-2004, 03:23 PM   #3
RinbuRevolution
Utena junkie

I would suggest a heavy satin like bridal satin or casa for the base. (Or a heavy lycra if it can be found in the right color for the bodice) The drape fabric seems to be seperate, and from what I recall, it was rather sheer, so a sheer organza or a simple sheer dress fabric will work.

As well, you can do an overlay of the sheer to have the gathered effect without the whole thing being see-through. (on the ballgown skirt) This will make it expensive and difficult, though because you will need to make the overlay layer at least double the length of each skirt panel to achieve that "bunched up" effect.

If you prefer to leave things with the opaque satin fabrics, the lower drape would need to be sewn into pleats or small tucks at each point. The skirt would also need to be cut out far longer than needed to be able to give it the "bunching" without turning it into a minidress

Underneath...personally, I recommend a hoopskirt base with a crinoline over it, that way the skirt can be picked up and turned to get through doorways.
(I have experience with hoops as you might see in my gallery)

As far as movement, no worse than the hoop or petticoat you use...the skirt will hang from the waist and the weight isn't too bad, just make certain the person wearing it has practice walking in hoops or she will find out walking too fast will cause her to trip on the front hem.

I would estimate the cost at somewhere between 1-300.00 it all depends on what materials you use, the wig, shoes, hoops, gloves, etc.

Some things you may need custom ordered, such as the gloves and shoes (If you want them to match, it costs a good bit) If you get a wig from a wig comissioner, it will be more expensive than an off the rack wig. It all depends on what you use.

Hope this helps...
RinbuRevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2004, 04:11 PM   #4
MemoriesofYuna
The Lonely Princess

WOW THANKS ALOT! that skirt is huge! im not quite sure how to do a bunching effect but il do my best on this. any seguestions how to add the little loops of fabric that circle arround it? this dress is Going to be HUGE so any idea how many of those i would need to make? -Aseret Yuna
Unread 09-28-2004, 07:59 PM   #5
RinbuRevolution
Utena junkie

The down-loops I would recommend draping like you see those curtain-scarves and then sew them down to the point you need them to sit on in the skirt...the decorative baubbles along the drape will hide the stitching if you are careful...

Same principle, just stitching instead of a curtain rod...(and longer)

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0001GZEBI

Gathering (bunching) you can do with running a line of stitches down a lngth of fabric and pulling the thread at one end so that it bunches up (Look at a sleeve on a blouse to see an example) It's the same method they might call "easing" with sleeves.
Unread 09-28-2004, 08:05 PM   #6
MemoriesofYuna
The Lonely Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinbuRevolution
The down-loops I would recommend draping like you see those curtain-scarves and then sew them down to the point you need them to sit on in the skirt...the decorative baubbles along the drape will hide the stitching if you are careful...

Same principle, just stitching instead of a curtain rod...(and longer)

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0001GZEBI

Gathering (bunching) you can do with running a line of stitches down a lngth of fabric and pulling the thread at one end so that it bunches up (Look at a sleeve on a blouse to see an example) It's the same method they might call "easing" with sleeves.

oh thanks! do you think i should go for a really heavy fabric or a lighter fabric in this dress theres manny kinds of satens. i really do want it to go POOF! and be like light as a feather. -Aseret Yuna
Unread 09-28-2004, 08:24 PM   #7
RinbuRevolution
Utena junkie

Heavier fabric is harder to gather, but looks better...thin fabric tends to look bad...try to aim for something between the weights of costume and wedding satin (usually, baroque is closest to midweight)

In order for it to be featherweight, you would have to make it with the thin stuff, and it would hang like a sack. The ballgowns I wear vary between 8lbs (pleather Utena) and 2lbs (cheaper satin Anthy), but it all depends on the fabric choices. When it is distributed evenly on the body, the weight won't matter as much, otherwise brides would be falling over all the time. ~_^
Unread 09-28-2004, 08:36 PM   #8
MemoriesofYuna
The Lonely Princess

Quote:
Heavier fabric is harder to gather, but looks better...thin fabric tends to look bad...try to aim for something between the weights of costume and wedding satin (usually, baroque is closest to midweight)

In order for it to be featherweight, you would have to make it with the thin stuff, and it would hang like a sack. The ballgowns I wear vary between 8lbs (pleather Utena) and 2lbs (cheaper satin Anthy), but it all depends on the fabric choices. When it is distributed evenly on the body, the weight won't matter as much, otherwise brides would be falling over all the time. ~_^
ok thanks! yhea this dress needs to go poof. we will like not be able to fit her through doors! were both wearing our huge dresses on the same day so this will be an adventure.... i think i might make a sally to go along with belle. I ok so i will probably need to get REALLY strong thread for this am i right? will it be really delicat if i gather it? i don't want the thread to snap. -Aseret yuna
Unread 09-28-2004, 09:07 PM   #9
RinbuRevolution
Utena junkie

Thread is all remarkably similar, however, get a spool of new thread for the project. (I tried to use some older stuff once, and it snapped every time I tried to thread the machine)
Unread 09-28-2004, 09:49 PM   #10
MemoriesofYuna
The Lonely Princess

Quote:
Thread is all remarkably similar, however, get a spool of new thread for the project. (I tried to use some older stuff once, and it snapped every time I tried to thread the machine)
review.
ok so for this i need to bunch up the fabric and feed ith through the machine that way so it's nice and bunched up. ok i think i can do that. should i make the pannels sepporately then bring them together to make the skirt? -Aseret Yuna
Unread 09-29-2004, 06:50 AM   #11
RinbuRevolution
Utena junkie

Yes, you seem to have it down now ~_^ Practice first with some scrap fabric to get the hang of it.
Unread 09-29-2004, 10:09 AM   #12
Warrior_Paine

thankyyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoriesofYuna
I think we all know that loveable Disney Character Belle who everyone loves as one of the great disney princesses for her kindness and womanly strengh. it made me and my dear friend Paine Quite happy to know of her appearance in Kingdom Hearts a few years ago. now as we are off to go to otakon She said that ling with Paine and lulu she might want to go as belle. this is one of those times where i thank god for making simplicity patterns but i still need a little bit of help. i will be picking up Simplicity patter 9902 the next time im at joannes but have a few questions. i have images from the pattern and from the movie and of some wonderful bell cosplayers i stumbled across.

I know nothing, and i am no help with this, but at least i will give you the moneeeey!! lol, i love you my dearest yuna!
~Paine~
Warrior_Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2004, 12:04 AM   #13
Gren
Gender Bender

Lat time I gathered fabirc, I did it by sewing a thin, widely spaced zig-zag stich over a piece of fishing line, then just sliding it up. You can also buy very thin plasitc thread, which is quite durable, and would probably serve you better in this project as it is more dicreet.
Unread 09-30-2004, 05:47 PM   #14
MemoriesofYuna
The Lonely Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gren
Lat time I gathered fabirc, I did it by sewing a thin, widely spaced zig-zag stich over a piece of fishing line, then just sliding it up. You can also buy very thin plasitc thread, which is quite durable, and would probably serve you better in this project as it is more dicreet.
thanks! im a big fan of your heartless rikku! ^.^ yhea so i place fishing wire or playstic thread down and then zig sag over it? then i tug on the wire to tighten it right? verry confusing to Aseret. but thanks alot i never thought to use fishing wire! ^^ -Aseret yuna
Unread 09-30-2004, 06:05 PM   #15
Rivenchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoriesofYuna
-How on earth is the skirt going to stak like that?!
-what type of fabric is best here?
-how do i rinkle the fabric to make creases like that?
-should i make a peticoat to go with this?
-would it be better to go with a petiecoat that's nice and poofey or make some sort of... cage thing to keep it out like that?
-what level of difficulty do you think this will be?
-cost estimate?
-will it be hard to move in?
-and where can i find a wig like that?
Hi There! I'm so flattered you chose to include my picture as one of your refrence shots I have a few other pictures of the costume in my gallery.

As for your questions, I used a total of three petticoats (one large bridal one for the bas shape, a small knee-high one to help give the bridal less of an A-shape, and a second large bridal one that we took apart and put in each of the poofy skirt panels for bulk) In retrospect, I almost wish we'd used a hoop skirt (it'd make transportation so much easier x.x) But for me, the extra swooshy look that the petticoats give when I walk is worth the extra transport trouble (for now ^_~;; ) The other benefit to petticoats is that they cover up whatever footwear you may be wearing - even though I made shoes to go with this outfit, in the picture you uploaded I happen to be wearing my everyday sneakers

As for the level of difficulty, that all depends on you and what skill level you're prepared for: My mother and I constructed a custom corset, made our own earrings and hair-thing so they'd match the dress, lined the entire bodice, added a new and more accurate lace to the bottom edge of the petticoat, used steel boning for the corset and the bodice, and used a row of fully functioning bridal buttons up the back (hand dyed to match the bodice fabric x.x) as well as hand dyed the gloves, shoes, and purse to match the fabric of the dress... However I'll admit that this level of detail is a bit excessive ^^;; (It took us about 3 months off and on x.x, but reallt the hardest part was the corset, and now that it's done I can use it for a lot of different costumes )

We made the main parts of the dress out of silk dupioni, so matherial costs ended somewhere in the $200 - $300 range (I had to promise mom I'd wear it to prom instead of buying a new dress to help cover the costs, lol) but if you didn't use silk or multiple layers of fabric on the bodice (for support) i'm sure the price figure would be lower.

The question of comfort is an interesting one.. I'm not exactly a twig (ha ha) so the bodice is very well fitted and there's NO CHANCE of the dress falling down, however, if you go the full-petticoat (or heck, even hoop skirts will have this problem) PLAN when you're gonna need to go to the bathroom ^^;; Since I have buttons all down the back, I can't get in or out of it without a "handmaid" of some sort, lol

And lastly, I wouldn't know where to get a wig for this, although I do use a ponytail extension. My natural hair is in the front and pulls back to be the base for the bun, while the ponytail bulks up the bun and makes the hair that goes over my shoulder. You can either buy these ponytails premade, or make your own using bulk hair. If you're going for a full out wig you could try styling your own, or look into trying to get one made by Katie Bair?

I hope this helps

-Rivenchan
http://rivenchan.deviantart.com/
Rivenchan is offline   Reply With Quote