Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > J-Rock/J-Pop

Unread 12-17-2002, 08:27 PM   #1
Dahlia
tai mai shu

Visual Kei Make-up

I was wondering, what type of make-up is best for Visual kei style make-up? I've been looking into some theatre brands but I figured I'd see what everyone else thought.
Dahlia is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2002, 09:08 PM   #2
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

What kind of makeup, and where will you be wearing it (on stage, at a club, in the halls)? Some of it is very understated and can easily be done with your everyday makeup.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2002, 10:05 PM   #3
soshi
onna kaizoku

Ben Nye = god of white face.

And yes, this means you.
soshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2002, 10:20 PM   #4
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Ben Nye is the best for theatrical foundations (and fake blood, but that's another thread)... For just plain strong colors, I like Make Up For Ever; any dark eyeshadow will make a good eyeliner if you apply it with a wet eyeliner brush. It all depends on the kind of face you want...

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Unread 12-18-2002, 12:11 PM   #5
manaxmana
Strawberry Gashes

Anna sui is good too. The brand is one brand that carries my fave blue-purple lipstick and glittery mascara.

Basically, as what koumori said, it depends on what style you are going for. You can just mix any brands of makeup together to create a look - the colors are what that matters.
manaxmana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2002, 08:57 PM   #6
Dahlia
tai mai shu

well basically this would be for cosplay purposes, so halls of the conventions and on stage for the cosplay. generally looking for good foundation to make my skin a little paler at times and sometimes a bit for sallow/yellow tone since I'm fair skinned. then something for the eyes to give that two tone definition, ie. mana etc.
Unread 12-19-2002, 10:09 PM   #7
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Quote:
Originally posted by Dahlia
well basically this would be for cosplay purposes, so halls of the conventions and on stage for the cosplay. generally looking for good foundation to make my skin a little paler at times and sometimes a bit for sallow/yellow tone since I'm fair skinned. then something for the eyes to give that two tone definition, ie. mana etc.
Right - but again, what kind of face? Some VK makeup looks are very understated, with neutral lipstick and minimal eyes, while some go the exact opposite way. Do you have a pic of the face you're going for? That might help me come up with a better answer. Also, are you looking for specific * brands* of makeup or specific *products* that we would suggest you use? Either way, you're really best off experimenting and practicing until you decide what's right for you.

www.suspiciouscloset.com

Last edited by Koumori : 12-20-2002 at 08:31 AM.
Unread 12-20-2002, 12:43 PM   #8
manaxmana
Strawberry Gashes

Hey, koumori.. have you ever use that really white foundation for make up like Malice Mizer...? What brand do you recommand..?
Unread 12-20-2002, 12:54 PM   #9
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

No, I've never been able to use white foundation successfully - either I blend the hell out of it and your natural tone shows through anyway, or I use too much and end up looking like a clown. I try to go for a look that's pale, without being too mime-y. For me, this involves a few steps. First, after moisturizing, I use a green-toned liquid to try to tone down some of the natural pinkness in my face. Then (sometimes - don't think I did any of this for my avatar pic really) I'll go over my whole face with a sheer white pre-base. After that, I use a pale natural-toned foundation, which these days is probably whatever the lightest shade of Make Up For Ever is; and finally, I go over all of that with a matte white powder, which I can touch up as it wears off.

Manic Panic sells the classic "goth white" liquid foundation, but I think it would take a lot of experimenting to make that work right. Amphigory also has a number of super-pale liquids that I haven't tried but am intrigued by, as well as the sheer white toner. I've also been thinking of picking up their Total Face Primer and seeing how that works.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Unread 12-20-2002, 01:01 PM   #10
Yuna
Nessa
A frakin' Mod

I would stear clear of solid white face paint. Your best bet is to just get a pale pale foundation and powder and work with that. From what I've seen, most people can't distribute the white paints evenly, so it ends up looking cracked and blotchy, basically just gross. Also, sweat makes it run and contrubutes even more to the blotchyness. I've done 3 VK cosplays, one including Mana, and I've found it so much nicer to just use a really pale foundation. It doesn't require re-application and doesn't blotch with her sweat or if you can't distrubute it evenly. I'd say that's your best bet until you *really* get the hang of the white stuff and know how long you can wear it before your persperation makes it all gross.
Yuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2002, 09:43 PM   #11
die-sama
xxxxx

personally , heres' what works for me (as i ALWAYS do my OWN makeup XD)

i will supply with examples etc
lets start off with complete "visual" :
(kyo AATD, what i did) http://www.twilighthush.com/prototype/aatd1.JPG
(Daisuke FULL COURSE)
http://www.twilighthush.com/prototype/daisuke1.JPG
Okay.. this is going to sound odd but there is this REALLLY REALLY REALLY cheap halloween makeup thats in this little cake form with a black cup. thats sort of oily. but if you use that. apply it evenly on your face, it will look more like like a more-white foundation dont cake it on. then use a perfumed powder (the kind w/ the puffs) and puff your face with it
NOW keep in mind ANYTHING you do on your face from hence forth = pernament= dont mess up or u'll have to start over XD
then i use Coal based eye liners and i really suggest oil makeup over powder cuz its more...direct and bright . and i think powder is just too weak

http://www.twilighthush.com/prototype/due6.JPG(miyabi) this was simplier and i used a simple foundation that i bought from china. its sort of like a makeup face lightner but it works great. and i did the same powder on face thing

http://www.twilighthush.com/prototype/kaoru5.JPG < kaoru
this was just simple foundation w/ light powder on it with coal liners. etc

http://www.twilighthush.com/myaku/otakon11.JPG (me and friend)
i'm the taller one. i used the same technique oil + powder on my eyes i used stuff like lipstick w/ glitter. i think he used the oil but did not powder so by the end of the day some of it looked like it was coming off. but still it photographed great

i hope i helped
Unread 12-21-2002, 01:43 PM   #12
Yuna
Nessa
A frakin' Mod

though, you're all pro Die-chan, so you don't count >p
Unread 12-21-2002, 09:17 PM   #13
die-sama
xxxxx

i dont count? *sniffle* ;;_;; yuna you so mean *goes and cries in a corner*
Unread 12-22-2002, 12:13 AM   #14
manaxmana
Strawberry Gashes

Ooooh.. okies! thank you guys..!!

But die chan... you said it's oily... >< what if my face start to break out??
Unread 12-22-2002, 12:52 AM   #15
Yuna
Nessa
A frakin' Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by die-chan
i dont count? *sniffle* ;;_;; yuna you so mean *goes and cries in a corner*
You know you like it >D

J/K <3<3<3