Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 10-07-2004, 12:50 PM   #1
Yana_Neko
I go Meow, You go ^_^

Losing weight for cosplay?

Hopefully I posted this in the correct place ^^;

Anyway, let me explain myself. I used to way a healthy 120 pounds. I was 5'3" and though I was still quite squishy in some areas, since I never ate right or exercised, I was relatively thin and content with myself.

However, about 2 years ago I went on Depo Provera "the shot" as a form of birth control. Since then, I have blown up like a balloon and gained about 50-60 pounds. The women in my family have an exaggerated reaction to certain medications that may contain hormones or steroids. My mom took steroids for her muscles after knee surgery to keep her muscles from becoming weak = She gained a lot of weight. My sister had to take asthma medicine containing steriods as well = She went from being underweight to overweight in a year. So, in other words, I am an idiot and ignored these signs and went on ahead anyway. But now that I feel used up and disgusting after being dumped, I am getting off the birth control and I want my figure back.

Being a cosplayer who makes several new costumes per con, I feel a NEED to lose weight in order to be able to feel like the cosplayer I once was. My most favorite costumes either don't fit or don't look good. Being a crossplayer, I feel like I'd someday like to be the girl for once and look cute and feminine.

So, I need some weight loss advice. On Monday I start going to Curves, an exercise center. I have a gym card and will force myself to go at least 2-3 times a week. But, besides that, what else should I do? What diet works? What tips do you have? I want to lose it all by next year! I need to hussle! Help me ;_;

Unread 10-07-2004, 01:03 PM   #2
Jaina Solo
Rurouni Jedi

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I use to weigh 129 lbs while I was perfoming in my local circus, and after I went on the birthcontrol pill, I've gained almost 20 lbs. It's quite disheartening, only because I feel all of the pictures taken of me make me look soooooo heavy... As for a diet that seems to work, I've had 2 friends who have had GREAT success using the South Beach diet. One of them was relatively thin in the first place, but the other--who was 170 lbs at her heaviest--is now down to nearly 140 in about 5 months. On top of that, she never felt restricted by what she could and couldn't eat, which I've heard a general consensus feels the same way. Likewise, if you're a motivated person, the diet is relatively easy to stay on and I've heard that once you've lost all the weight you want, it is highly recommended that you get off of the diet (until you need to lose weight again). There are several websites out there that go into great detail, so I bet if you do a google search on the South Beach diet you'll turn up some helpful results.
Unread 10-07-2004, 01:08 PM   #3
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

You should consult a doctor and a dietician and nutritionist. There is no one diet that works on all people.

I think you need a doctor to figure out *why* your family is susceptible to certain medications. What is it in the medication that causes the weight gain? Did it change body metabolism? Did it cause people to be more hungry?

Did you also change your eating habits and lifestyle after taking the medication?

There are a lot of factors involved in weight gain and loss.

The main characteristic of weight loss is that you are going to have to burn more calories than you consume.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2004, 01:15 PM   #4
Parasaurolophus
65 Million Years Old

Exercise is always a good start- try to add some weight training, because more muscle=more fat + calorie burning! (and no, you won't "bulk up"; weight lifting is good for you!)
As for diet changes, if you are careful, you don't have to go on a "diet"-- just become more aware about what you put in your mouth, and make some shifts in what you eat. Increasing the amount of nuts, fruits, veggies, whole grains and beans in your diet can do wonders.

When snacking, try to pair a protien with carbohydrate- say low fat yogurt with granola, or carrots with some peanut butter, or a handful of nuts. Instead of white bread, eat whole wheat, and switch it up with pita or multi grain.

EAT Breakfast! To prevent yourself from getting ravenously hungry, eat healthy snacks in between your meals. I've found that I eat much less junk food when i surround myself by yummy healthy stuff- and i often switch it up, so it doesn't feel like I'm on a diet. If you do it right, you won't be making a temporary change, but a lifestyle change!

Hopefully that didn't sound too preachy- pm or respond if you have specific questions about diet or exercise. I make no claim as a nutritionist, but I'm not often hungry, and feel pretty lean right now.

[edit] separated some of the paragraphs for legibility
Katsucon 2008

Trying to lose weight? Read:
Krista's Weightlifting for Women -Great advice for everybody, not just women.
Also, see Marty Gallagher's Fitness for Serious Beginners Good Luck and Have fun!!
Parasaurolophus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2004, 01:15 PM   #5
Yana_Neko
I go Meow, You go ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriol
You should consult a doctor and a dietician and nutritionist. There is no one diet that works on all people.

I think you need a doctor to figure out *why* your family is susceptible to certain medications. What is it in the medication that causes the weight gain? Did it change body metabolism? Did it cause people to be more hungry?

Did you also change your eating habits and lifestyle after taking the medication?

There are a lot of factors involved in weight gain and loss.
That's a good point. I don't believe I eat anymore than I once did. I really see no reason besides the birth control as to why I gained so much weight so quickly. I mean, 50-60 pounds in two years isn't healthy or normal weight gain, in my opinion. And my sister is only 14 and is over 200 pounds, when she was a twig before getting asthma.

It seems like a very good idea to consult a doctor. Thank you ^_^
Unread 10-07-2004, 01:23 PM   #6
Scrapped Neko
Curiosity killed this cat

I don't recommend any diet that makes you cut out any food group. The problem with Atkins and the like, is that most people put back on the weight they've lost once they return to a normal diet.
The best way to lose weight and keep it off is through exercise and diet modifications. I should know, I lost 85 pounds in two years and I've never counted a single carb in my entire life. I simply cut back on my calorie intake (I try to stay at about 1200 cals a day) and exercised my butt off (literally). Exercise is the most important part. Especially toning exercises, because without them you run the risk of having loose skin after all the weight is gone. Jogging/speed walking are the best as far as cardio goes. They work most of the major muscle groups, and get your heart pumping.
Also, be sure to take a multi-vitamin and drink more water than you thought was humanly possible.
Unread 10-07-2004, 01:28 PM   #7
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yana_Neko
That's a good point. I don't believe I eat anymore than I once did. I really see no reason besides the birth control as to why I gained so much weight so quickly. I mean, 50-60 pounds in two years isn't healthy or normal weight gain, in my opinion. And my sister is only 14 and is over 200 pounds, when she was a twig before getting asthma.

It seems like a very good idea to consult a doctor. Thank you ^_^
Seriously, if you can afford to see a doctor, please do so (some people can't afford it or refuse to go see a doctor). If it really is that birth control (and your family general reaction to steroidal medication and hormone injections), your family has got to stop using them AND report them to the doctor when the doctor tries to prescribe such things. You should ask the doctor if such medications have weight gain as side effects.

There are medications out there that do mess with the body's metabolism, so if weight gain is something you don't want, always seek medications that don't have that as a side effect.

One other general advice. This won't help you lose weight fast or anything, but it will keep your metabolism going. Do weight lifting. You don't need to get a bodybuilder's body, but having more muscle mass helps with the metabolism.
Muscle consume calories simply to maintain itself, so having more muscles will help the body burn more calories, even if you aren't exercising.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2004, 01:44 PM   #8
ladysubaru25
Karaoke Queen...

Hey, I started a thread about this at the start of the cosplay season, (when I first tried South Beach) and it became uber-popular, and really took on a life of its own. It has been inactive for a few months though, and I am not about to bump it. But there are a buttload of posts about diet/exercise in it, and you should take a look if you want.

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=32551
Unread 10-07-2004, 01:49 PM   #9
Hinataheights
sixth Hokage

Baked chicken is loaded with protein and good for boosting muscle mass.

Tip: It's ideal to workout in the morning as opposed to night. Your body has to slowly wind down. You essentially burn more fat ALL DAY if you work out first thing when you wake up. It's harder at night when you've worked all day and aren't motivated.

A cardio only routine will help trim fat and avoid buffing up (so to speak).

Swimming is an excellent source of cardio and especially for "under arm fat".

Stretching is important regardless of how boring it is. End of story.

I will RAIN on you...

Last edited by Hinataheights : 04-29-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Hinataheights is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2004, 01:50 PM   #10
SailorMoonStar
Moon Kingdom Wench

Drink lots and lots of water. Fruit 2 O or different flavors of sparkling water works (the one with no calories or anything else for that matter).
Unread 10-07-2004, 02:09 PM   #11
NiGHTmaren
...into Dreams
Modoka Magica

I agree with Eriol, it's probably a good idea to start out by seeing a dietician or your doctor. Since this seems to be linked to heredity, dieting and exercising might not be the right answer, at least not now. Best to get advice from someone who really knows what they are doing, and to diagnose what might be the problem and nip it in the bud. I personally have never gone on birth control, as I have no reason to...^^; But my sister is on it and has no problems, so I don't think it's in my own genes to have a reaction from it.

In the meantime, try to find a diet that works for you and do your research. I have heard good things about the South Beach diet, my dad was on Atkins and he lost about 30 lbs in two months. Of course, you have to stay very strict and keep on the diet, or else you risk gaining it all back later on. =/ I myself have never had to worry about weight problems, if anything I have a wicked fast matabolism and haven't gained or lost a pound in about 7 years. But everyone is different. Hopefully you can find what works for YOU, as an individual. But don't lose the weight for something like cosplay, do it for yourself. You shouldn't be concerned about how you look in a costume, after all, it's for fun! ^^

*~Hime no Toki~*

2014 - Upcoming Conventions :
Holiday Matsuri (FL)

Upcoming costumes : Suzie Q from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Edea Lee (various versions) from Bravely Default, Robotnik (genderbend) from Sonic, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
NiGHTmaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2004, 02:24 PM   #12
Flippy
GET SOME TEA! ^%$#!

^Drink water yes! Most of the time that you think you are hungry you are actually just dehydraded. It's not like it's gonna hurt to carry a water bottle with you.

Also if you drink soda, cut back....so many of my friends are good eatters but they drink way to much soda and that's alot of wasted sugar. Many of them have lost weight just by consuming less. Try drinking the half size cans if I really want some thing to drink rather than grabing a diet soda which is also unhealthy for other reasons.

Just try to eat normal and don't put you self on a "diet"; it's an evil and misunderstood word. Most people that put themselves on exceivily anal diets end up not being able to handle it and gain their weight back again. So just cut out the little things or have them every once and a while....like soda. Also try infusing new things into your life......like water and doing a varity of execises.

By the way anime characters are normally so unbelievably out of proportion that don't expect to be their figure......make the costume......be happy... and don't try to be the characters body double or you'll just kill yourself......and if you die you can't cosplay...right? So don't kill your self over it.

________
...mm
/^(..)^\
\,(..),/
..V~~V
Flippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2004, 02:38 PM   #13
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Depo Provera ah yes. What they don't tell you when they offer it to you is that the hormones are tricking your body into thinking it's already pregnant and so your body reacts on that information. Stockpiling fat is one of these side effects.

If you have a thrifty genotype you're bound to retain some of that weight without serious amounts of exercise. It's a pain. And it only gets harder as you get older.

Good Luck with your goals.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2004, 02:39 PM   #14
Miaka No Baka
All Haro belong to me!

If it's the birthconrol affecting the weight gain definately speak to your doctor. There are lower dosage medicines out there that are just as affective but don't give you so much estrogen and what not so it might help stop you from putting a lot of weight on. Also keep an eye out on how much you exactly eat and keep an eye on what actually is considered 1 portion. A lot of times it's easy to eat 4+ portions worth of food without even realizing it. So check food labels and if it says 2 cookies is 1 serving then keep that in mind. Also when going food shopping it does pay to shop around. Don't just pick a certain brand cause it's your favorite if you look at different boxes you can find some can provide fewer calories and even give you more food per serving than other brands.

Also too non fat also means high sugar. So do check labels carefully too cause while u might be saving on not eating so much fat but you are adding tons of sugar which turns into fat anyways.... Also if you drink soda stop cause you are putting extra calories which you don't need to do. A lot of people don't realize they drink a huge portion of their daily calorie intake.

Miaka no Baka
Miaka No Baka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2004, 02:45 PM   #15
Lengis
Golion

Hmm, I know a way to get around this problem. How about....

Not having sex, or using condoms instead so you don't have to use birthcontrol?! \o/

I'm a genius!
Lengis is offline   Reply With Quote