Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Yaoi-Con

Unread 10-13-2004, 09:06 PM   #1
PikminLink
The Hero of Time

To Wear or Not to Wear?

my question is, what can you or cannot wear to yaoi con? i never been there before, and i dont want to be in something where people will say "i warned you" or "have fun" ...i want to cosplay, maybe squall, but then if its in the "i warned you" area, then i might not cosplay, and just be a photographer.

what kind of costumes are "safe" for yaoi con ^_^;;;

"A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever" - Shigeru Miyamoto

~Pikminlink.com my website.
~Facebook my facebook
PikminLink is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2004, 09:16 PM   #2
lemoned
Perveyor of Happy Jellies

Squall will most definetely be okay. ^_^;

This is only my second year going.. but last year I saw lots of different kinds of costumes.. there wasn't a lot of female characters.. but that's kind of a given for a 'boys love' convention :3
Unread 10-13-2004, 10:17 PM   #3
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Pikminlink: Your Link, Squall, Harry Potter, and even Jedi costume are welcome at Yaoi-con, since they're guy characters and the con focuses mainly on the bishonen costumes and stuff. But of course, there's no rule that says you can't cosplay any girl costumes, and they are welcome. In the past Yaoi-con's I've seen someone cosplay Relena Peacecraft, and last year someone cosplayed Sailor TinNyanko from Sailor Moon.. So I wouldn't be surprised to see more female costumes at this year's Y-con like Yuna, Rikku, or others. I think Liddo-chan is wearing her Rinoa costume just for the FF gathering, so there's no harm in wearing any girl costumes to this con.
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2004, 01:39 AM   #4
ACXchan
I sink you now!

I've seen people cosplay women from other shounen-ai or yaoi genre animes, like Noriko from Gravitation. Personally I'd love to see Carol or Diana from FAKE, and hopefully we'll have a Diana of our own in our FAKE group XD But yeah boy costumes no matter the series are always welcome at Yaoi Con, because at Yaoi Con *any* series or book or film can be slashed anyway.

If your "safe" concern is not being mauled or molested.... this is highly unavoidable at Yaoi Con unless you cosplay someone really obscure, unless it's Enzai XD

Last edited by ACXchan : 10-14-2004 at 01:41 AM.
ACXchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2004, 01:42 AM   #5
jetspectacular
Barrel Roll to Evade

hmm, Pikminsama, i dont think anyone would be stupid enough to say "i warned you" or anything similar to you. but this is speculation because It's my first ycon too and i'm asking the same questions.

I'm sure normal/mostly clothed bishounen cosplay like Squall is perfectly fine (and anyway if you've got the gunblade ne?) but I'm worried about...erm.. how do I put it without sounding like a total ho (despite that being the angle i'm going for?)

I'm doing a pretty scandelous version of Hisoka from yami no matsuei (involves wearing a top and very short shorts that I normally wouldn't wear, even as a girl x.x) and I'm in a predicament as to what I should wear as a Toya Akira-ho... I think it'll be ok because I dont plan to say.. wander the alleys of SF all by myself wearing this stuff.. i'll be with friends.. and my legs/fists work perfectly fine..

then again, this is coming from the chick who proudly went "bare chested" at AM for an hour or so...

Ah hell, if someone give you lip or starts getting on your nerves, Pikminsama, just give'em the ol' qcf+p service..

ooooh and I wanna see your Harry at Ycon too XD
Unread 10-14-2004, 01:51 AM   #6
ACXchan
I sink you now!

Considering how cold it gets in SF, especially during the fall, I don't think you'd want to walk outdoors in the hot pants Jet XD South San Francisco is also not in San Francisco proper, downtown and Castro and Haight and all that are a train ride away. Being harassed for your costume shouldn't be a problem in San Francisco anyway because it's Halloween weekend. I've always found SF to be a generally safe city, especially if you're in a group.
Unread 10-14-2004, 01:55 AM   #7
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

jetspectacular: This is also an 18+ con. Should be OK. The general crowd is more mature and less idiotic at Y-con. *Is going to Y-con for 3rd time*
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2004, 02:03 AM   #8
ACXchan
I sink you now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karisu-sama
jetspectacular: This is also an 18+ con. Should be OK. The general crowd is more mature and less idiotic at Y-con. *Is going to Y-con for 3rd time*
Considering how last year the "nude" Hisoka with all the tattoos climbed on top of Tsuzuki for photo ops without issue I'd say YCon is pretty down with the scandalous XD Most people are very mature about what and to whome they consent to. There are a few individuals that occasionally need to be tethered but when you tell people to back off they usually do.
Unread 10-14-2004, 03:07 AM   #9
PikminLink
The Hero of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetspectacular

ooooh and I wanna see your Harry at Ycon too XD
hrm..i wont mind taking that with me, since i only planned squall, so ok, ill take Harry with me too, yeah ill have my gunblade with me^^.

"A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever" - Shigeru Miyamoto

~Pikminlink.com my website.
~Facebook my facebook
PikminLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2004, 04:20 AM   #10
Suiel
cat trapped in human form

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACXchan
Considering how cold it gets in SF, especially during the fall, I don't think you'd want to walk outdoors in the hot pants Jet XD South San Francisco is also not in San Francisco proper, downtown and Castro and Haight and all that are a train ride away. Being harassed for your costume shouldn't be a problem in San Francisco anyway because it's Halloween weekend. I've always found SF to be a generally safe city, especially if you're in a group.

My OVA Omi from Weiss has to walk outside in hotpants. *so amused*

I've sworn to bring them a blanket. It's all in the duty of being a Ken cosplayer.
Suiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2004, 03:19 PM   #11
SohjiroX
X marks the spot

I have to say Miki becaues the fact there could be something of Utena there.

Planned: All Planned for Sakura Con, Fanime, and AX of 09
Heinkel Wolfe - Hellsing Ultimate
Young Walter - Hellsing Dawn
Fox - Secret
Kyo - KOf 98-06
Steve - RECV
Soujiro Seta - Kenshin
Juji - Gun grave overdose
SohjiroX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2004, 03:38 PM   #12
zell_dincht
月光蝶

PikminLink, you can be one of our Squalls for the FF Gathering.

Day still to be determined... x_x

Because cosplay is a limited liability source.
----------------------------
Tentative 2009 Cosplay Line-Up:
- Balthier (Final Fantasy XII)
- Tormod (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)
- Saleh (Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones)
- Ike (version Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
- Hijikata Toushirou (Gintama)
- Byakuran (Katekyo Hitman Reborn!)

Cons for 2009: Comiket, NDK, Yaoi Con
zell_dincht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2004, 04:47 PM   #13
L-Lamb
Oh snap!

Do you think a wolf from Wolf's Rain is ok?
I mean sure it's ok but will it fit in?
I kinda feel like it wont fit in there.
I'm scared. -_-
L-Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2004, 10:01 AM   #14
Daitenshi
Elitist since 32 BC

I think the warnings are in regard to the rabid fangirls, not to whether or not the costumes will fit the theme of the con. ^^;

You're a great crossplayer, so nothing you bring (unless it's SM or Yuna) will be "safe." Just be on your guard. I promise that when I'm with you I won't let anyone glomp you. ;P
~Daitenshi~
http://www.daitenshi.com
Daitenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2004, 01:15 PM   #15
L-Lamb
Oh snap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daitenshi
I think the warnings are in regard to the rabid fangirls, not to whether or not the costumes will fit the theme of the con. ^^;

You're a great crossplayer, so nothing you bring (unless it's SM or Yuna) will be "safe." Just be on your guard. I promise that when I'm with you I won't let anyone glomp you. ;P
Thank you thank you thank you!
I'm not so scared anymore!
And now I even have a protector!
Yay!
What are you cosplaying as?
L-Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote