Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Unread 12-19-2002, 08:04 AM   #1
Yuna
Nessa
A frakin' Mod

Legend of Dragoon

Dude, I'm exstremely critical on games, but I don't know why everyone and their mother was dissing this game. I REALLY loved it. The battle system was kick ass. I love the way you have a direct effect on how much HP you took from the monsters you fought, even when physically attacking in Dragoon form *o* The only other RPG based game that has anything close to that (which I've played and is to my knowledge) is FFVIII with Squall's trigger. That game just really rocks my socks.
Yuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-19-2002, 09:25 AM   #2
Gingerbread Man
You people scare me......

Yeah I really liked it to...but I only got half way through the first disk before I had to give it back to my friend...and I think Xenogears has something similar to that battle system....
Unread 12-19-2002, 12:10 PM   #3
A J
sets ovens on fire

I'm one of the people who didn't like it. Sorry

Reasons why:
The translations were poorly done or so it seemed to me. I was actually wincing at some of the lines...

The graphics were horrendous... considering how beautiful the commercial was, I expected more. Even the FMVs were a little off...

I didn't feel a single thing for the characters. When that guy in green died in the beginning (I can't remember his name now)... all I thought was: wow that's pretty stupid. I kinda have to like my characters if I'm going to be stuck with them for 40+ hours.

After that, I just called it quits. I think that's the first RPG that I've ever started and not finished. Once I start, I usually have this compulsive need to finish even if I'm not raving crazy about the game.

What really got me was that Sony spent so much money on the commercials and went through all this trouble to keep people from copying the game, and it just wasn't worth it. It was one of the first games that was able to detect a mod chip and if you had one, it wouldn't play.

Wouldn't you know it was just my luck that the PS I was using had a mod chip. My roommate and I went to great lengths to get around that so I could actually play the game and afterwards, I felt so bad for asking him to spend so much time helping me... it was so not worth it.

Each to his own though. If we all liked the same games, they wouldn't keep coming out with all the nifty new ones!
Unread 12-19-2002, 12:17 PM   #4
Yuna
Nessa
A frakin' Mod

It's totally ok. Rose was the only caracter I really had a thing for. Yum. She was really cool I thought. I do agree the voices and traslation was AWEFUL and the graphics were 'ehn, okay, not FFX or Chrono Cross, but 'ehn. However, i did let myself enjoy the story even through its faults. Sometimes that makes things so much more fun, just excpet and move on.
Yuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2002, 05:53 PM   #5
Sion

Lavitz was the guy who died at the beginning.

I loved this game! The battles were so much fun, I have never wanted to get into battles so much as I did in this game, I was addicted to additions (the combo moves in battle where you gotta hit buttons at the right time) I was so addicted I mastered every single addition for every character =D

But how could you not like any of the characters? I mean.. MERU!!!! She made the game all worth it, she was just so damn cool. And her theme music hahaha XD!!

Eriku-san
Sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2002, 06:11 PM   #6
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

This game is so awsome, I learned how to time my button pressing thanks to this game. (Which help in Final Fantasy X, the Thunder Plains)

Haschel is by far the best character in the game, battle wise, he high even stats and not too chellenging additions, to bad his dragoon is pink, and he's a pervert.
Arc_The_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2002, 12:44 AM   #7
katnap007
Looking for Magitek.

I liked it! I was blown away the first time I entered some of the towns. They're so huge! I think I was on the first or second disk and I kept running into these towns with doors everywhere.
It's just a cool game. The graphics kinda remind me of FF7.
katnap007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2002, 10:49 AM   #8
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

The towns confused the heck of me sometimes in that game. ^_^; They were gorgeous, but could've used a bit more spacing. Entrance arrows EVERYWHERE aaaaaah :X

I don't actually own it, I've only rented it a couple of times and borrowed it from my friend once... So excuse me for being a bit vague or unsure about things. x.x

The 30-something item limit was really annoying at first, but then I began to like it. It's a challenge, and it's more realistic than the amount of items you can carry in most other games. ^^ The battle system was great -- you can't just sit and mash buttons, you have to have timed hits. S'why I ended up liking FF8 so much afterwards; I rocked with Renzokuken. XD

I really wanna finish it.. Maybe I'll buy a cheap copy after Christmas with present money. I'm only on disc 2.. or 3? I forget. ^^;;

DRAGOONS ARE SO PRETTY. And if I could get good shots, I'd cosplay Meru. x.x The acting as horrid, yes, but gosh I loved DOUBLE SMACK and some of the fun attack names. ^^; "Die.. More and More!" haha. x_x

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2002, 06:11 PM   #9
PretearWink
Check Q and A ^_^

This was the first RPG I ever played, and it was because of the commercial! It was so funny! I loved it so much I made Meru's costume....THAT was love....or insanity. You choose^_^

<--points to avatar
PretearWink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2002, 10:18 PM   #10
Sion

Well all this LoD talk made me borrow the game from my friend again and I'm on disc 3 already... complete obsession @_@ once I beat it again I must never see it again in fear it may take over my life once again...

Lol @ Die! More & More!

Meru and Haschel are the best XD! Cool Boogie...rofl.

Eriku-san
Sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2002, 12:13 AM   #11
Chosuke
Le Chevalier

Albert~

He is my Ultimate game crush I would have to say ;_;
I loved LOD and can understand why same game magazine's labelled it the 'final fantasy killer' though I do love FF.
I guess the innovative battle system and just how different was charmed at the very lest and I found alot of the much needed character interaction <Interaction whore here ^o^! > that seems to be missing in alot of games was flourishing within LoD.
'
Btw,I am one of the shocking 'Didn't like FFVII' people xD ya dun't like it..bite meh!

-hyper-

Cho's Wig Commissions - Click here for information, examples and a free quote!
Chosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2002, 10:57 PM   #12
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

Well, Lloyd was my first cosplay ever, so I guess I like LoD quite a bit. ^_-
But yes...it was a game you had to get into and be dedicated to work to like, rather than an instant crowd-pleasing favorite.
But the Dragoon designs are exquisite. The Winglies rocked. Most of the characters were well-designed both technically and visually (having recognizable voice actors was a plus too.) True, it was a very standard RPG-format, right down to the battle arena and racing obscure creatures, but the visual and sound design alone gave it a very unique flavor. Grandia 2 and FFX are probably the prettiest looking RPGs nowadays, but on PS1, LoD was just a pleasure to look at. I would often just stop playing and simply study the backgrounds. One could just fall into that scenery and eat it up. I mean, I kinda liked FF8 and Chrono Cross for environments, but I was consuming the LoD world like peeps swallow up the ages of Myst (or rather: riVen or Exile...yummy.)

Load time load time...that is usually a complaint. Many have cringed a bit every time the screen had to melt into battle. (Even though they admit battle itself was actually innovative and fun.) But actual gameplay and quality of precise graphics and certainly speed are never top considerations for me; I'd rather have thoughtfully designed visuals, cool characters (to perhaps cosplay someday) and a good solid soundtrack.

...Which perhaps is my only issue with the game...the really good music of field areas was interrupted by the music of the mini-overworld paths which was then further broken up by different menu music and of course battle music (but I loved how the battle theme changed if you were heading in a direction you were not supposed to.) The problem was you couldn't enjoy any of the music long enough before it changed. But a minor problem.

Oh wait...There -was- one thing I didn't care for: Shana. What was being thought in her concept? We've got killer Rose and adorable Meru...and then...Shana. She is the single most annoying and worthless chick in a world of wimpy anime chicks. She has to be saved all the time and just acts needlessly 'girly' at all opportunities - why, she even twists her ankle -in mud- and has to be carried. What a load. There's been a few major 'love stories' involving main video game characters which have made little sense and a couple that have been bordering on creepy and distasteful, but all those pale before the relationship which supposedly develops here. I feel embarassed almost for poor Dart.
Unread 12-28-2002, 11:33 AM   #13
PretearWink
Check Q and A ^_^

I say Meru and Guaraha and Lloyd and Wink forever!

Shana and Dart...er... Poor Dart, stuck in an rpg cliche he can't fight ;.;
PretearWink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2002, 11:48 AM   #14
Sakura
Original Sakura

Well I'm one of the people who likes that game ^_^ I think the characters are awesome and the battle system is fun. I like it when things are different. I'd love to eventually do a cosplay from the game.