Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Soulcalibur

Unread 10-16-2004, 10:44 PM   #1
jojobiz

Why is Soul Calibur cosplay so much more popular than Tekken?

is it cuz all the SC characters have weapons and props? or that SC's costumes r far more complex? or just that tekkentag or tekken4 have been dead for a while...
jojobiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-16-2004, 10:48 PM   #2
NeRDBReD

Last edited by NeRDBReD : 10-07-2010 at 01:29 PM.
NeRDBReD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2004, 10:50 PM   #3
*~Antagonist~*
zomg zombies.

I think its cause SC is a more popular fighting game, especially over tekken. I guess alot of cosplayers would want to cosplay a character from a game they liked.
*~Antagonist~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2004, 11:01 PM   #4
Hideki-san
A boy who bring happiness

Because swords are more looking powerful than fists. And SC chars outfits are very detailed and fantasy inspired.
Unread 10-16-2004, 11:10 PM   #5
NeRDBReD

Unread 10-16-2004, 11:13 PM   #6
jojobiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideki-san
Because swords are more looking powerful than fists. And SC chars outfits are very detailed and fantasy inspired.
that's what i figured as well....although i have to argue that popularity wise tekken was just as big as SC...at least in the fighting game community. but yeah...tekken's outfits r quite boring compared to SC's. i was so super into tekken3 and tag back in the days though, too bad tekken cosplayers r so scarce...
Unread 10-16-2004, 11:17 PM   #7
Saiyan Princess
Vegeta's Lil' Princess

I'm not sure. I personally perfer Tekken. I grew up with it and have mostly all the games from Tekken 2 to Tekken 4 and can't wait for Tekken 5. I really wanna cosplay as Anna Williams soon.
Saiyan Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2004, 11:21 PM   #8
Solaria
Ninja Pirate

Plus, SC II has only been out for a little while. There is a variety of weapons and the outfits are awesome. That's why my group did it anyway. ^-^
Solaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2004, 11:23 PM   #9
jojobiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeRDBReD
I'm a devoted fan of SC and SC 2... but I'm forever to partial to the Tekken series... I've been playing Tekken since 4th grade, for the love of cheese! Tekken Tag Tournament is my favorite fighting game of all time, and fists will always yield more power greater than that of swords. o(-.-)o

damn..4th grade? was tekken out already? i still remember the 10hit combos that dominated tekken1..haha no skillz required if u knew how to pull of the 10hit. then tekken2 came out with lei and all that crap strategy went out the window. tekken3 and tag is the best of the series hands down. i must've devoted 2-3 yrs to those 2 games...going to local tournaments and driving to LA for the regionals and stuff....then the damn koreans invented electric godfists and wavedashs and crazylegs and i just knew no matter how much i practiced i couldn't compete on that level and eventually quit tekken completely....sigh. tekken4 was a huge disappointment since it was supposed to be the prequal to tekken vs. virtual fighter.
Unread 10-16-2004, 11:36 PM   #10
DigitalCactus
Feels good man.

Soul Calibur is more fantasy inspired, as Hideki-San stated. In my opinion, cosplaying something not usualy found in our everyday world (ie: Cervantes de León) versus cosplaying a bunch of regular schmoe's in street gear, that beat each other bare-handed instead of awesome weapons wins out in that poll. If I wanted to do that, I'd go back in time to my high school days. XD HUZZAH!!

EDIT>>> Shouldnt this be in Videogame cosplay chat? Seems fitting to me...

Last edited by DigitalCactus : 10-16-2004 at 11:44 PM. Reason: My reason for editing?! Marshmallow-eating leprechauns drive red convertibles!! XD Who the hell reads this crap anyway?! hah
DigitalCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2004, 11:51 PM   #11
NeRDBReD

Unread 10-17-2004, 12:14 AM   #12
jojobiz

speaking of virtual fighter, i have not seen a single cosplay from that series yet...some of jackie's or sarah's outfits r quite nice.
Unread 10-17-2004, 01:09 AM   #13
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

We don't even have Soul Calibur yet, though it's been recommended to us. But my whole family loves Tekken Tag and cosplays from it (Lee Chaolan, Lei Wulong, Jun Kazama and Ling Xiaoyu.) My youngest has 2 different Xiaoyu costumes, and we're making another set of alternate costumes for the characters as well (except since I'm already have my favorite Lee costume and I don't want to wear the tux or the shirtless one , I'm making a Kunimitsu costume instead.)
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2004, 01:15 AM   #14
Quantum9
Janitor of Crystal Tokyo

If anything, it's probably due to two facts

1. Better costumes. No offense to the Tekken fans out there, but the SC costume design is just that much more well done - I realize Tekken is supposed to be a more modern game, but SC's ancient, historically-infused designs are much more appealing.

2. Popularity. Right now, Soul Calibur is probably second only to Mortal Kombat in fighting games in America. It helps that so many great characters were in the last one, such as the inclusion of Link in the GameCube version (which, by the way, propelled sales of the Cube version FAR over those of the PS2 and XBox).
Quantum9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2004, 01:43 AM   #15
loner

tekken

i plan on cosplaying as bryan fury or hworang one day. i have been a fan since tekken 1 in fact it was my 1st ps1 game i bought before i even had a ps1. well i want to cosplay as jin from tekken 4 with the hoody but they look like a challenge to make. well i plan on doing it by fanime at least.
loner is offline   Reply With Quote