Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Oni-Con

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-24-2004, 09:11 PM   #1
Gren
Gender Bender

What did you think of cosplay?

I'm going to start this one off by thanking both the cosplayers and audience members for their patience through the entire masquerade process. Now that we've all had a chance to get home and rest up, I'd like to get some feedback while the event is still fresh in people's minds.

I'll state right now that both positive and negative feedback is welcome. We want honest reveiws of how it went, so that we know what to keep and what to improve, not just a bunch of pats on the back.

Whether you were a participant or an audience member, we're interested in hearing your feedback on how the event was run, and as Candice and I were the MCs, we are both interested in hearing what you did and did not like about the job we did.

We're looking forward to bringing you better things in the future! This experience has taught us SO much.

Unread 10-24-2004, 09:40 PM   #2
Proz
San Japan - Chairman

The introduction when I stepped on the stage is so far my highlight reel on why I love cosplaying. I'll make sure to get more sparkles next time.

I was only able to watch in the other room and whoever was the camera guy needs to learn A/V 101. Just keep the camera on the full stage, don't try to do closeup shots when not necessary.

The last skit was what made the long wait well worth it. Ya'll kept talking about pissing off people when showing Anime Real World during the halftime show. You now see why people have to do "disclaimers".

We stuck around even after hour & half delay. No one seemed too pissed. Heads would have rolled if it hit the 2-3 hour delay but we all kept saying, "First year con, this was expected." Live & learn and make it better because you know we'll be back next year!

Last edited by Proz : 10-25-2004 at 08:06 AM.
Proz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2004, 10:02 PM   #3
JunJun
Plaid Cat

I don't think anybody was quite prepared for the sheer masses of people on Saturday. I am unsure that everyone knows that the hour and a half delay was due to our need to get a live video/audio feed from the amphitheatre to the ballroom, since we could not have cosplay IN the ballroom.
The cosplayers were sweet and wonderful when i was overseeing their long line of doomlike waiting outside the amphitheatre.
once actually GOING, everything seemed to go smoothly. yay.

Suggestions for next year:
- have better communication. I know candice was passed out upon once, but I was trying to find her most time between 2 and 4. Calling the room, asking Drew, Alyssa, security personnel.
- Once we realize there is a REALLY LONG LINE for general registration at 9am, we ought to have realized it was going to be over attendance, and should have made plans accordingly, instead of sending staff screaming and running at 4pm. (also, staff overall should have had better communication regarding attendance. Not your fault)
- For the love of the Gods, have cosplay in the biggest venue possible.
- Have better lighting. It was only so-so, but that's likely because we were in the poopie amphitheatre.
- Have the prizes ready. Drew and I went running at some stupid time because there were no prizes in the room. Candice should have been in charge of those, or at least told where they were.
- Also, wtf happened with cosplay registration when Candice left the panel room all crazylike at 12:30?
- The movie. You guys knew full well that there were kids in the cosplay show, you know that there are usually kids in cosplay shows. Yeah it was funny, but we had parents feeling really unwelcome with their children. Sure, mention buttsex in some panels when you know there are no kids, its funny and WE HEART BUTTSEKS, but not in a big room full of people who you know include a tiny sailor luna, and a little 8 year old Rikku.

Yeah, aside from size, and communication, i think everything went really well. The actual execution of cosplay was great, everybody went up and performed well and it was a really fun event. I can't wait for next year.

Kayla/JunJun/Lum *kiss kiss*

Juno-chan dot net

"Thank you! When I rule the world, your death shall be quick and painless!" - Stuey, Family Guy
JunJun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2004, 01:28 AM   #4
megumibish
I should be drawing Yaoi.

Well, for the cosplay I only heard a few minor things negative about it and I had a few myself.

Some people where getting really *gripey* just because of the hour and a half wait. I didn't think this was too bad despite this being my first con. My only major gripe was the fact that I couldn't see the whole masquerade. I didn't mind seeing it in a different room, but I sorta figured that you would have it on a time delay so we could see the whole masquerade. That and being totally clueless about when we would hear about the winners made me almost miss being called up. Overall I think it was cool though. Nothing else really comes to mind. I thought Cherry and Gren where hilarious as the MC's of the event. I just wished I had a chance to bug you two longer. ^_^ And JunJun, hope I didn't drive ya batty about getting my bag back.
Unread 10-25-2004, 01:55 AM   #5
Mr. Corus
Senor Corus

Quite honestly, I enjoyed the crap out of the cosplay contest. I think it went smoothly. I mean, yeah, the wait was long but it could have been worse and Cherry and Gren were probably working really hard to get it all together. And yes, the last skit 0\/\/NZ0RD!!1
Unread 10-25-2004, 10:16 AM   #6
kawada_shougo5
highspot

I know it couldn't be helped because of the location that we had to have the masquerade in but since my group was the very last and we had to have the line outside of the room we didn't get to see any of the walk-ons or skits. That was dissappointing but yeah, couldn't be helped. I think a better (bigger) location would be good for next time but I suppose that's obvious. I did get a few people that were watching the live feed tell me they couldn't really hear the skits as well.

And I don't know if any maquerades are done like this but my friends and I were discussing it on the way home and thought it would be a good idea to have walk-ons and skits be seperate contests with a first, second and third place for each. We just were thinking it's a little unfair that a walk on, no matter how amazingly well done, will most likely never beat out a skit for first place. Sure you have the judge's awards that often go to the walk-ons but it isn't the same and those awards are very subjective.

Anyway, yeah. Those are the only things that come to mind. Overall I think everything was handled extremely well and I was impressed with the entire staff.
kawada_shougo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2004, 11:26 AM   #7
Gren
Gender Bender

The showing The Anime Real World was mostly just a spur of the moment decision when we found it to be in my backpack. We were looking for intermission entertainment, and just didn't take the time to use good judgement. Next year, we are planning on using judging time for a slide show of previous entries and winners (eventually just showcasing past winners, I'd imagine, once there are a few cons under our belts) as well as showing images of the Hall cosplay winners and announcing their awards (which instead just sort of got crammed in among the masquerade winners, which was a mistake.)

We both recognize that it was very unfortunate for the cosplayers to not be able to see the masquerade. In the future, we will work out a method for the cosplayers to be able to enjoy the masque, either from backstage, or their own video feed. Originally the plan was for the cosplayers to actually have their own section of the audience. As attendance swelled, it was realized that there just wouldn't be room.

The chances of skits vs walkons winning really depends more on the judges than it does on the entries themselves. Some panels of judges are interested only in how much the entrants made them grin, while some focus on the costumes themselves. Just this year at A-kon, Grand Prize was received by a walk-on entry.

One major benefit that skits tend to have over walk-ons is that skits often involve groups. A group of well made costumes will impress judges more than a single well made costume. We encouraged our judges to have a very strong focus on costumes themselves, but to also judge on the overall enjoyment that the audience received from the presentation of those costumes. I was privy to much of the back stage discussion, and there was not a single judge that did not take costume construction into strong consideration. As the convention (and cosplaying group) grows larger, we will look into branching off multiple masques (possibly a competion/non competion split, a presentation/construction split or a walk-on/skit split) to accomodate both the different sorts of cosplayers, and also to make sure that all who want a chance get a chance without having massive 5 hour marathon masques of doom.
Unread 10-25-2004, 11:39 AM   #8
the only vash
Official Computer Dude

I thought that the cosplay event went pretty good, except for the part about having to wait 2 hours in line to get a seat, but other than that it went pretty good. I don't know if this is how it is suppose to be seeing as this is my first con. But I think if you guys were to show the Anime Real World again, you could at least ask the parent and their children to step outside for a while, or maybe show something different. Just an idea. I thought you guys were hilarious as the MC's, especially when Jace, sorry if i spelled the name wrong, went on stage to help out. I really didn't mind the wait cause I was at least entertained. Any yes, I was very entertained by the different ringtones he had on his phone. I was however dissapointed by the non-woorking animatronic Santa Claus -whimpers-. But I agree with kawada_shougo5. You guys should have the walk-ons and skits as different contests. And also maybe have an award for audience favorite. Just a thought. But I still believe that the wait was well worth the last skit by One Hour Productions. Well those are just my thoughts on it.
the only vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2004, 11:52 AM   #9
Cherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by the only vash
I was however dissapointed by the non-woorking animatronic Santa Claus -whimpers-.
We regretfully apologize about the animatronic Santa Claus not working. We will try to improve ourselves next year.
Unread 10-25-2004, 12:09 PM   #10
Omni

This was my first con to attend and the cosplay contest was my favorite part of the event. I was fortunate to be one of the comfy seat holders. Gren and Cherry did an excellent job entertaining the audience for as long as they did and felt sorry for those in the banquet hall that didnt get to see them. I was a little disappointed with the lighting in the room and the fact that so many walk-on participants just flew across the stage before you could even try to catch a picture. However there is nothing that you could do about that as it falls on the individual cosplayers shyness. Props to everyone that helped hold the convention together when you got twice the number of people than expected.
Omni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2004, 12:59 PM   #11
Mr. Corus
Senor Corus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry
We regretfully apologize about the animatronic Santa Claus not working. We will try to improve ourselves next year.
I would like to nominate a (1) Pink flamingo and a (2) hanging cupid for next con.
Unread 10-25-2004, 01:19 PM   #12
kyandi-chan
Magical Girl K

cosplay was kinda scary for me since i was in line so long, and i didnt know if i should have asked the security for anything... the MC's were great, and it did kinda really suck not being able to see ANY of the cosplay because I was like..one of the last people to go on stage, so i was just out of it. i was impressed with the amount of cosplayers and the good consistency and energy that they displayed, because at this past a-kon, i wasnt exactly impressed or even wowed with cosplay (well, with a certain few). im glad to see so many people into it! maybe we could get some snacks while waiting? im glad security didnt try to kill us though, and they were pretty nice.

i did hate that because we were standing outside of the cosplay room, people kept running into my hair, and messing up the style in the back. *pout* we should have had velvet ropes or something, if we must be outside, but some things just arent planned.

also...i wish i hadnt been so confused i mean...i was announced for winning something but the characters name had a bit of a mixup so i was beyond confused.

is there any way we can get a copy of the cosplay? id love to have a copy of the events

! *thank goodness no lewdness! (i hope)* ! everything was pretty much clean!
kyandi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2004, 01:53 PM   #13
spike_the_moomb
Watashi wa Shiyon desu

Since I was in the other room watching the video I didn't get to take pictures of my friends, and I couldn't hear anything maybe thats one of the reasons I didn't get most of the skits, especially that last one. Just about the only thing I could understand was Cloud trying to out dance baby XD.
spike_the_moomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2004, 08:21 PM   #14
the only vash
Official Computer Dude

i managed to get some pics of the walk ons, and i did get most of the skits except for two. i have it on DV tapes, im not exactly sure if it helps, but if any of you want to know, just email me or PM me. sorry i didnt get any film of Gren, Cherry, and Jase entertaining us. i was hoping to save some of the tape for DJ's acoustic show, but still wasted the tape. oh well. but yeah just send me a PM or email me or just answer back on the thread.
the only vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2004, 08:26 PM   #15
Hug_the_Monster
Hug me NOW

I hated that Random Encounter Guy... >_>

I'm just kidding, I actually had a lot of fun durring the convention. Looking forward to A-Kon in June.... and maybe the one's before it. More than likely it will only be A-Kon though, let me know of some other ones I have to go to.

Last edited by Hug_the_Monster : 10-25-2004 at 08:32 PM.
Hug_the_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote