Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 12-21-2002, 08:39 AM   #1
Yousei
Sailormercury

Question Hiding long hair under a shorthaired wig

Last summer, I bought a shorthaired wig. I made a wig cap out of some old panties, but my hair always gathers at some place on my head. That makes me look rather silly. (O.o;) How can I distribute the hair evenly? Also there's alsways some hair sticking out under the wig. How do I have to paint this, without damaging it? Please help.
Yousei is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-21-2002, 10:10 AM   #2
mandichan
-

Ah~ I always have this same problem ~o~ Here's what I do..

First I put my hair in 2 braids. Then I wrap them over my head (so they cross in the back) and clip them on the top of my head (with those thick clips). It still puffs up the wig a little, but its the only way I've found to fit all my hair under a little wig @_@

Hope you understood that, lol ^_^ Um, I guess that wasn't explained well, here's a crappy drawing of how to do it.. ^_^;;;
mandichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2002, 10:12 AM   #3
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Put your hair up in pin curls. Grab a section, twist it until it starts to curl back on itself, then pin the curl flat to your head with two bobby pins in an X for security. This will get your hair as flat to your head as possible.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2002, 10:13 AM   #4
mandichan
-

Ahh the attachement didn't work ~o~ One second...
Attached Images
File Type: gif hair.gif (10.1 KB, 251 views)
mandichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2002, 10:33 AM   #5
sailor-moon
Resident Moon Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by mandichan
Ahh the attachement didn't work ~o~ One second...
^o^ thats what i do!! ^o^ kinda, i have hair down to my waist, its hard getting all that hair under a SM wig-.- good luck getting your hair under you wig!!!
Unread 12-21-2002, 11:08 AM   #6
Yousei
Sailormercury

Thank you all so much! I'm going to try both tips next time I'm in my room in Nijmegen (that's where the wig is). (^.-) By the way, the drawing for the braids tip is really kawaii!
Yousei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2002, 12:28 PM   #7
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

I used the two braids system for a while (in a more Princess Leia in Return of the Jedi look since My hair wraps more than once around my head X__X) and I noticed that it makes my head look big. X__X

So I now make one long braid and stuff it down the back of my clothes. But that only works with high-necked costumes. (that's how I hid my hair for my dragonslayer costume)

I will try Koumori's trick, though... sounds promising!
Unread 12-21-2002, 12:34 PM   #8
Kurenai

I do the braids thingie too...but I usually make 6 of them (4 if I'm in a hurry) and I do the same thing mandichan does, except I start with the back 2 and pin them up near the front, then the middle 2 in the middle, then the front 2 in the back.

It works pretty well, though I recommend using the funny-shaped hair pins (the ones that look like a skinny 'U') because they hold much better than bobby pins ^^;
<dork> You -will- end up looking like a little milkmaid, and if I'm in con-mood I like to dance around and sing "the sound of music." Nobody heard that. </dork>

P.S. Koumori--never tried pincurls...approx how much hair should you put into one so that it works the best?
Kurenai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2002, 01:55 PM   #9
Schu
Noisy Alien

I always had someone put two french-style braids down the back of my head, then tuck them under the the braid, because it makes a little slot if you do it neatly, then hairspray, bobby pin, and put on a wig cap.
Unread 12-21-2002, 04:50 PM   #10
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurenai

P.S. Koumori--never tried pincurls...approx how much hair should you put into one so that it works the best?
Depends on how thick your hair is... mine's pretty thin, so I can grab a good-sized hunk. But the idea is to pin it down flat to your head, so I'd say experiment so that you know how much you can grab before it ends up making your head lumpy.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2002, 10:34 PM   #11
Kurenai

Awesome! Thankie ^_^
Kurenai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2002, 11:44 PM   #12
katrinastrife

I usually make a french braid until the nape of my neck, and then make 6 or so other little braids and crisscross them around my head, and pin it to heck and back with bobby pins. I get my mom's help, tho. She said it looks like a cross between a cute hairstyle for a formal, and the pinhead guy from hellraiser ^^;;

I didn't use a wig tho, I was trying to put it under my Tin Nyanko Hat...
Unread 12-22-2002, 02:02 AM   #13
videogirlc

I just braid it and pin it to my hair. It's still hard to hide under the wigcap because it's so thick and long.
videogirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2002, 11:57 AM   #14
Rosieal
Magister Mundi Sum

If you are in a hurry, you may use a hair net, similar to those used in equestrian. You may also use a thin swimming cap, preferably flesh colored. My hair is long, thick and wavy and when I try my mother's wigs on (sshhhh...), I usually put my horseback-riding hair net first and then putting the short wig tightly after that. If you want to make it really flat though, something similar to a swimming cap might work. You know those things they use to make someone look bald?
Rosieal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2002, 01:45 PM   #15
Tamoko
Cookie Muncher of DDOOOOM

o.o; if i was going to wear wighs whenever i cosplayed.. i mean ALWAYS wear a wig, i would just get a short haircut that looks good on me.. o.o; but thats only if you cosplay enfough.. n_n; it'd be new, cute, and not a big hassel when cosplaying! whaha!

*i want to make you happy because
seeing you smile makes me happy*
Tamoko is offline   Reply With Quote