Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > San Diego Comic Con

Unread 12-21-2004, 01:54 PM   #1
Dany
..mind if I swoop?

SDCC 2005 and the latest Harry Potter Book

So..the news is out. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is due to be released at midnight, July 16th!

This is right in the middle of ComicCon...

The temptation to bring out the Potterness on Saturday in celebration is really high.......

2013 Events:
Animation on Display, San Francisco Cherry Blossom Festival, Fanime, Japan Expo USA

http://www.2dmanor.com
Dany is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-21-2004, 09:39 PM   #2
Akato
Akat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany
So..the news is out. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is due to be released at midnight, July 16th!

This is right in the middle of ComicCon...

The temptation to bring out the Potterness on Saturday in celebration is really high.......
T.T Im so happy... to much time waiting..... T.T
Unread 12-22-2004, 11:13 AM   #3
Dany
..mind if I swoop?

Well, what I'm curious about is if I go to SDCC (it's still in the works presently, and with my impending trip to DragonCon this year, I'm not sure if I can really make it happen yet), whether there will be any contingents of people skipping out on the Eisners or something to go wait for their book..or to just go to the nearest bookstore and haunt them in costume.

...I'm worried though. My Lucius Malfoy costume takes an easy half-a-suitcase

2013 Events:
Animation on Display, San Francisco Cherry Blossom Festival, Fanime, Japan Expo USA

Unread 12-24-2004, 07:15 AM   #4
Scarlett
Bueller... Bueller...

Oh, I'd much rather hang around a large bookstore for Harry Potter than go to ComicCon that day. I'm a huge Harry Potter freak.

gen con 2014;
jinx · league of legends
jack · mass effect 3
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2004, 02:25 PM   #5
Kokuu
Armed and Dangerous

I'll probably start hanging around the bookstore around 8/9 o'clock pm -though that might be too late now. I waited around for book 4 starting at 9pm and I was first in line, though I'm sure it's a lot worse now. Anyone for a HP gathering at the nearest bookstore? I don't know if there's a bookstore being near the convention center, but there is a Borders and a B&N off of 8 at Mission Valley that if you don't have a car is accessable by the trolly. I'll have to do more driving downtown, since I'm not familiar with everything down there.

Update: There IS a B Dalton Booksellers less then a mile from the convention center. Anyone up for HP cosplay while waiting for book 6?
Kokuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2004, 01:49 PM   #6
Dany
..mind if I swoop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokuu
Update: There IS a B Dalton Booksellers less then a mile from the convention center. Anyone up for HP cosplay while waiting for book 6?
If I go, I think this will be a resounding YES.

Unless for some crazy reason ComicCon makes it easy on us Potter-heads and gets some deal together for the book release so that you can get it at the convention itself. Afterall, I am lazy..especially in about six layers of clothes!

2013 Events:

Unread 12-29-2004, 11:39 AM   #7
Bramblerose
Bing bang diggiriggidong!

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince..

This is slightly off-topic, but..

Last year, I just pre-ordered Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix from Amazon while all my friends stood outside a bookstore for hours. It arrives in the morning, on the release date.. You can pre-order it and and still go to Comic-Con!

I find it easier that way. XD
Bramblerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 03:22 AM   #8
Scarlett
Bueller... Bueller...

That takes the fun out of it, though, Branblerose. :P

But, if I can get a Slytherin outfit ready in time, Kokuu, I'll be happy to join you. Though, during the day, I may be dressed as someone else.

gen con 2014;
jinx · league of legends
jack · mass effect 3
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2005, 09:38 PM   #9
Mandy Mitchell
Mars Fire Ignite!

I'm bringing my Cho Chang costume to SDCC.
Mandy Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2005, 05:48 PM   #10
kelldar
kelldar the barbarian

I'm bringing my Hermione!
Unread 01-13-2005, 12:49 PM   #11
Dany
..mind if I swoop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell
I'm bringing my Hermione!
Yay!

So far, my SDCC status is looking at "tentative". I'll likely not be arriving until Friday morning to reduce the amount of time I would need to miss at work...but I'd be in early enough to get into costume.

If the web fares on Southwest look as good as they have been, I don't see why I can't go..it's just hotel stuff that would need to be worked out (though there is an offer out there).

I'll know more as it gets closer to that time.

In the interim, I'm going to try to keep my eyes open on the bookstores to see if any events are going on. What would be REALLY neat is if a group of us could get together at the convention and then hit the bookstore en masse.

If I can't get there for some reason, I'll be happy to play Voldemort and work remotely

2013 Events:

Unread 01-27-2005, 08:51 AM   #12
Anna_Chan
I'm stupid, I'm stupid!

I'm getting my mommy to pre-order the newest Harry Potter for me online, 'cause I'll be in the Masquerade at about that time... ^.^ I hope everyone has fun hangin' around a bookstore!
Anna_Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2005, 11:24 AM   #13
Dany
..mind if I swoop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Chan
I'm getting my mommy to pre-order the newest Harry Potter for me online, 'cause I'll be in the Masquerade at about that time... ^.^ I hope everyone has fun hangin' around a bookstore!
If you're going to be in the Masquerade, you shouldn't have to worry. The book is released at midnight on the 16th, which means all the "line party" stuff will happen on Friday evening of the 15th. That's the night of the Eisner awards, and unless you're really into those, you should have nothing to worry about.

But hey, the pre-order is not a bad thing.

..and Hooray for you being in the Masquerade! Someone is going to really REALLY have to twist my arm with something tempting for me to go up there this year. I'll be saving my energy for DragonCon this season.

ETA: For the Masquerade. Being at the Con itself is looking up, but I may only be there Friday-Sunday.

2013 Events:

Unread 01-28-2005, 08:31 AM   #14
Anna_Chan
I'm stupid, I'm stupid!

That's good, but yeah, I don't much like lines... Except when it's for an amusement park ride or something like that... But hey, Life is made up of lines, and I gotta deal with 'em!

BTW: Masquerade 2005: Ryo-Ohki!! (no more details)
Anna_Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2005, 02:25 PM   #15
grandis
Buried Alive in Gold Trim

I should have a new Slytherin suit with me, PoA version.

Catherine

Beauxbatons Original Design from Harry Potter: Goblet of Fire: 30 percent
Sparklypoo Hogwarts Uniform from Harry Potter Universe: 20 percent
Spoor from Crest of Stars: 0 percent
grandis is offline   Reply With Quote