Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > CLAMP Series

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 4.92 average.
Unread 01-17-2005, 06:14 PM   #61
Amy the Yu
Uber-Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitori
I have a pencil board featuring Touya and Yukito from Tsubasa that I've not seen online (admittably, I haven't searched much), if you'd like that scanned DemonMiko.
It is, unfortunately, black and blue and not full colour though.
Do you mean the one I attached?

It's one of a long line of Tsubasa shitajikis.

I got a sticker of the pretty image of Yukito about a year ago as a furoku with one of the anime mags I got on vacation. I took one look at it and burst out laughing. It looked so similar to the Ragnarok Online Female Monk costume that I'm working on. Just a few additions and even the wig gets to stay the same. XD

As Hikarilight already knows, once I'm done with my Female Monk costume at whatever con that finally gets worn to, that one's getting turned into Yukito's robe. I'm not taking the picture completely literally. Gonna do some "artistic interpretation" (I seem to be using that term a lot on this thread) and make giant bellowy sleves and all the other stuff detachable so I can wear it as either a costume, or as a cool ourfit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle - Touya and Yukito.jpg (15.2 KB, 0 views)

Next Convention: Youmacon
2009 Cons: Katsucon, Con-G, MacTAC, Ad Astra, Anime North, Colossalcon, Polaris, Otakuthon, Otakon, CN Anime, Youmacon, DTAC maybe more...
Amy the Yu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-17-2005, 06:15 PM   #62
DemonMiko

Hitori, I would be forever indebted to you if you do scan it! =^^=

**hands you a box of pocky**
Project(s) Status
Ideas in progress...
Yuki [Vampire Knight] - Diao Chan or Zhen Ji [Dynasty Warriors 6] - Mulan [Duh...]
DemonMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2005, 07:01 PM   #63
hikarilight
Finder of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy the Yu
As Hikarilight already knows, once I'm done with my Female Monk costume at whatever con that finally gets worn to, that one's getting turned into Yukito's robe. I'm not taking the picture completely literally. Gonna do some "artistic interpretation" (I seem to be using that term a lot on this thread) and make giant bellowy sleves and all the other stuff detachable so I can wear it as either a costume, or as a cool ourfit.
I can't wait to see the Yukito-ish robe~ Along with Female Monk~
Unread 01-17-2005, 07:33 PM   #64
Hitori
Tra la la

Amy the Yu, yeah that's the pic. But here's a bigger one^_^
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T_Y_board.jpg (143.5 KB, 0 views)
Unread 01-19-2005, 04:02 AM   #65
CCSakura

Chii from Tsubasa conflict >_<U

hey
Me and my freinds are going to dress up as charecters from Tsubasa but there is a problem...we need to know how chii's dress looks like :S In the manga it's all black and white and we couldent find any pics on the web.. could you pleaseeeee help us?

--Lib
CCSakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2005, 04:16 PM   #66
Amy the Yu
Uber-Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCSakura
hey
Me and my freinds are going to dress up as charecters from Tsubasa but there is a problem...we need to know how chii's dress looks like :S In the manga it's all black and white and we couldent find any pics on the web.. could you pleaseeeee help us?

--Lib
I said I'd give you pics and I'll deliver. There's also the shitajiki of Fye and Chi, but that's not actually colour, so I won't bother with it. (You can also easily find the image if you dig up the Tsubasa section on shitajiki.biz)

Pictures...actually the cover art for vol 7 of Tsubasa. Good ref pic of Chi's outfit in full colour, but I have to say...something's majorly off about her facial expression. -_-;;

First attachment is the actual cover. 2nd is the art for the cover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle - 7-01.jpg (120.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle - 7-02.jpg (171.0 KB, 0 views)

2009 Cons: Katsucon, Con-G, MacTAC, Ad Astra, Anime North, Colossalcon, Polaris, Otakuthon, Otakon, CN Anime, Youmacon, DTAC maybe more...
Unread 01-20-2005, 12:22 AM   #67
CCSakura

Quote:
I said I'd give you pics and I'll deliver. There's also the shitajiki of Fye and Chi, but that's not actually colour, so I won't bother with it. (You can also easily find the image if you dig up the Tsubasa section on shitajiki.biz)

Pictures...actually the cover art for vol 7 of Tsubasa. Good ref pic of Chi's outfit in full colour, but I have to say...something's majorly off about her facial expression. -_-;;

First attachment is the actual cover. 2nd is the art for the cover.
O______O THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you helped us so much!!!!!! ^__________^ Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!
CCSakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2005, 09:28 PM   #68
Katsuyuki_Shiro
A Retired Mr. Zelos

Er... Does anyone have an idea on how to make a gakuran for Watanuki from XXXHolic? ^^;;.. *is lost*... I've been meaning to make one...
Katsuyuki_Shiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2005, 09:41 PM   #69
hikarilight
Finder of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsuyuki_Shiro
Er... Does anyone have an idea on how to make a gakuran for Watanuki from XXXHolic? ^^;;.. *is lost*... I've been meaning to make one...
It's basically a black button up shirt with a collar, as well as white bais tape. I think it's best if you either find a black shirt and modify it or look at similar shirts, buttons or not, and make your own pattern from that ^^
Unread 01-20-2005, 10:24 PM   #70
Amy the Yu
Uber-Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikarilight
It's basically a black button up shirt with a collar, as well as white bais tape. I think it's best if you either find a black shirt and modify it or look at similar shirts, buttons or not, and make your own pattern from that ^^
Watanuki's is actually different from that. You can't tell that they have 2 rows of buttons under the cleaning smock.

Acually, doing a bit of searching (mostly of posts made byEleryth, and she knows her stuff well) turns up that Gakurans are:

-made of a wool-polyester blend fabric w/ no texture (so don't try altering a shirt...it won't work and will look horrible. A suiting material would be much more appropriate)
-based on the British military, so Civil War uniform pattern was suggested for something similar to alter (I wouldn't know since I draft my own patterns)
-have 5 brass buttons up the front and close with 2 hooks and eyes (since we're going for traditional Gakuran...not Watanuki's school's edition)

And there's no white bias tape involved. Aside from the buttons, the jacket's all black. Any white you might have seen was probably from the lining of the collar showing.

Katsuyuki, I can probably help you with some aspects of it. If nothing else, I know these types of collars well. After two costumes w/ mandarin colars (and multiple attempts to get the first one right), I have them figured out pretty well for just about any shape and style.

For this, I don't think you need to go all out making it super accurate (with how lining goes in and stuff anyway) cause traditional gakurans aren't very good for summer weather. They're like suit jackets...too warm to wear once the weather's nice enough to go without.

I can help you with stuff whenever I'm around town if you want. If there's a source for a good poly/wool blend for this kind of thing, I might just buy some fabric and make one right along with you. ^^ I've always wanted a gakuran of my own. I love the way they look...but I love almost any nice looking semi-formal jackets.

Unread 01-20-2005, 10:31 PM   #71
hikarilight
Finder of Truth

Quote:
Watanuki's is actually different from that. You can't tell that they have 2 rows of buttons under the cleaning smock.

Acually, doing a bit of searching (mostly of posts made byEleryth, and she knows her stuff well) turns up that Gakurans are:

-made of a wool-polyester blend fabric w/ no texture (so don't try altering a shirt...it won't work and will look horrible. A suiting material would be much more appropriate)
-based on the British military, so Civil War uniform pattern was suggested for something similar to alter (I wouldn't know since I draft my own patterns)
-have 5 brass buttons up the front and close with 2 hooks and eyes (since we're going for traditional Gakuran...not Watanuki's school's edition)

And there's no white bias tape involved. Aside from the buttons, the jacket's all black. Any white you might have seen was probably from the lining of the collar showing.
It's true that altering a shirt would be bad, but doesn't it depend on which shirt they choose? But then again, either way it wouldn't work as well as it's suppose to, right?

Also, looking at volume 1 that I have, even though it's not techincally bias tape, there's white lining on the collar and the ends of the sleeves. I was thinking bias tape could be used for that, or trim or just plain fabric.

Just my two cents but gakurans are definitely harder than they look. The saying 'looks can be deceiving' is definitely true in this case ^^;;
Unread 01-20-2005, 10:40 PM   #72
archangeli
~ Ich bin da. ~

A couple of weeks ago my bf talked me into cosplaying Yuko and Watanuki with him. We've chosen the inside cover art from vol. 1 of xxxHolic - the one where she's in the black and gold butterfly kimono. Since the artwork doesn't show too much of the finer details (obi, underlying layers) I'm taking a bit of artistic liberty and going all out in terms of fabric and little details.

Making the suit that Watanuki wears is going to be a nightmare for me.. I can sense that already.

However, I'm delighted to say that I found the perfect wig - it's a 22" jet black wig with bangs and it didn't cost me more than $50 (Cdn). I already have 2 packs of 3"long extensions that I am going to integrate into the wig to create her signature hairstyle.

Now what to do about footwear...
Unread 01-20-2005, 10:42 PM   #73
Katsuyuki_Shiro
A Retired Mr. Zelos

Quote:
Katsuyuki, I can probably help you with some aspects of it. If nothing else, I know these types of collars well. After two costumes w/ mandarin colars (and multiple attempts to get the first one right), I have them figured out pretty well for just about any shape and style.

For this, I don't think you need to go all out making it super accurate (with how lining goes in and stuff anyway) cause traditional gakurans aren't very good for summer weather. They're like suit jackets...too warm to wear once the weather's nice enough to go without.

I can help you with stuff whenever I'm around town if you want. If there's a source for a good poly/wool blend for this kind of thing, I might just buy some fabric and make one right along with you. ^^ I've always wanted a gakuran of my own. I love the way they look...but I love almost any nice looking semi-formal jackets.
Sure ^^ That'll be a lot of help. We still have like... 3-4 more months until Anime North... I still have a few costumes to make but they should only take about 2 months to do to finish them all...

Can you give me a list of what kind of fabric I'd need for the gakuran? I might go to fabricland this Saturday just because apparantly I picked up the wrong kind of interfacing... =_=...
Katsuyuki_Shiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2005, 11:15 PM   #74
Amy the Yu
Uber-Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangeli
A couple of weeks ago my bf talked me into cosplaying Yuko and Watanuki with him. We've chosen the inside cover art from vol. 1 of xxxHolic - the one where she's in the black and gold butterfly kimono. Since the artwork doesn't show too much of the finer details (obi, underlying layers) I'm taking a bit of artistic liberty and going all out in terms of fabric and little details.

Making the suit that Watanuki wears is going to be a nightmare for me.. I can sense that already.

However, I'm delighted to say that I found the perfect wig - it's a 22" jet black wig with bangs and it didn't cost me more than $50 (Cdn). I already have 2 packs of 3"long extensions that I am going to integrate into the wig to create her signature hairstyle.

Now what to do about footwear...
AH!! I know those outfits. I can't wait to see them...I've only seen it done once before...since everyone else seems to do the Space Time Witch dress and Watanuki just gets neglected. -_-;;

Hehe. ^^ We'll compare hair when the time comes. I'm doing it with my own hair...praying that my phone doesn't ring or my alarm clock doesn't accidentally go off when I get around to cutting my hair...otherwise, it's not just Yuuko hairstyle suffering...it's my own poor hair suffering as well (although my hair's free and it grows back if I screw it up).

Unread 01-20-2005, 11:26 PM   #75
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsuyuki_Shiro
Sure ^^ That'll be a lot of help. We still have like... 3-4 more months until Anime North... I still have a few costumes to make but they should only take about 2 months to do to finish them all...

Can you give me a list of what kind of fabric I'd need for the gakuran? I might go to fabricland this Saturday just because apparantly I picked up the wrong kind of interfacing... =_=...
I'd recommend a gabardine or heavyish wool crepe. It needs to have some weight and body - like you'd have on a men's suit jacket. You can also beef up more lightweight fabrics by underlining. And pick up some small shoulderpads - most suit jackets have something in the shoulders to make them nice and square. It doesn't have to be huge like the 80's, but just something to keep the sleeves from sagging. ^_^

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

www.costumecon32.com

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote