Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Animation On Display (AOD)

Unread 01-13-2005, 10:15 PM   #1
kagomechan
Pirate

Anime Overdose Masquerade Rules Posted!

Hey Everyone!

The Anime Overdose Official Masquerade Rules have been posted. So read them over and if you have any questions, post them here.

http://www.animeod.com/2005/masquerade.mv

Official sign ups will be open next week. I will post here on cosplay.com when sign ups are open. So check back later!

Good luck on your costumes!

-Kagomechan
kagomechan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-14-2005, 01:00 AM   #2
Umi
Bass-inating

Whoa. The masquerade rules all of a sudden got hardcore. o.O;

What's the AOD definition of a "self-contained costume"?
Umi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2005, 02:26 AM   #3
kagomechan
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi
Whoa. The masquerade rules all of a sudden got hardcore. o.O;

What's the AOD definition of a "self-contained costume"?
I don't write them.. I'm just the forum lacky. :3

AOD's definition of a self-contained costume is a costume that you don't need hookups to any external sources for the costume to work.

Example: A costume that lights up. Make sure it doesn't need to be plugged in. You can't bring in any heavy machinery or extention cord to plug into an electrical outlet.

A self contained costume can also get up and down a short flight of stairs to get on stage. (With little to no help, because we are short on stage ninja's)

And last but not least, no messy makeup or substancs on your costumes that can ruin other cosplayer's costumes. If you wearing body makeup, make sure it stays on your body.

-Kagomechan
Unread 01-14-2005, 12:36 PM   #4
Umi
Bass-inating

Thanks for clearing that up ^^
Umi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2005, 01:30 PM   #5
Dany
..mind if I swoop?

*looks over*

They seem clear enough for me....I think the only thing I'm a bit concerned over is that they mention that you can have one "prop" participant for every two judged costumes. I get the impression that if I'm the only one getting judged that I can't have a prop participant. While I think that I could get away with it, I think it would help me out a bit if I had my prop.

All else fails, we'll throw something together last minute.

2013 Events:
Animation on Display, San Francisco Cherry Blossom Festival, Fanime, Japan Expo USA

http://www.2dmanor.com
Dany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2005, 07:06 PM   #6
kagomechan
Pirate

I get the idea that you mean prop, like a staff or sword.

Props are allowed on stage as long as they abide by Hall Cosplay rules.

A prop participant is a person in a costume, who is part of your group. If you wish to do a walkon, you cannot have a prop participant.

Actual quote from rules. ^_^

"A prop participant in masquerade is a participant who has signed up as part of a group but will not receive a construction score. This is the only way that bought costumes, professionally made costumes, or costumes that have previously won awards may participate in masquerade."

I hope this answers your question. ^_^ If not feel free to correct me.

-Kagomechan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany
*looks over*

They seem clear enough for me....I think the only thing I'm a bit concerned over is that they mention that you can have one "prop" participant for every two judged costumes. I get the impression that if I'm the only one getting judged that I can't have a prop participant. While I think that I could get away with it, I think it would help me out a bit if I had my prop.

All else fails, we'll throw something together last minute.
Unread 01-18-2005, 12:45 PM   #7
Dany
..mind if I swoop?

Nope, the sword's not what I'm referring to..

(though the sword is something I'll have to make appropriate arrangements for..assuming the costume is even DONE in time... )

Here's what I'm looking at:

The number of prop participants in any group is restricted by the number of costumes eligible for construction scoring.
For 2 or 3 costumes eligible for construction scoring, the group may contain 1 prop participant.
For 4 costumes eligible for construction scoring, the group may contain 2 prop participants.
For 5 costumes eligible for construction scoring, the group may contain 3 prop participants.

Now, when I read the first part of this, and perhaps it's too literal, I get the impression that in order to have someone in the scene that is not judged, I have to add another person that IS judged to get the minimum 2 in order to have the third "prop" person. At the present time, I plan on only having my costume as judged, and the other party not judged.

If this can be clarified, I'd appreciate it

2013 Events:
Animation on Display, San Francisco Cherry Blossom Festival, Fanime, Japan Expo USA

Last edited by Dany : 01-18-2005 at 12:48 PM.
Unread 01-20-2005, 12:42 AM   #8
kagomechan
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany
Now, when I read the first part of this, and perhaps it's too literal, I get the impression that in order to have someone in the scene that is not judged, I have to add another person that IS judged to get the minimum 2 in order to have the third "prop" person. At the present time, I plan on only having my costume as judged, and the other party not judged.
Yes, you are correct. If you want to do a skit with 2 people you must both be judged for craftsmanship. But if you have 2 people you can have 1 prop participant.
I'm told by my boss that allowing there to be prop participants at all was a struggle.

The idea of the masquerade this year is to showcase entries costumes.

I'm sorry I can't change the rules. ;_; Is there anything else you have questions with..?

-Kagomechan
Unread 01-20-2005, 01:04 PM   #9
Dany
..mind if I swoop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagomechan
Yes, you are correct. If you want to do a skit with 2 people you must both be judged for craftsmanship. But if you have 2 people you can have 1 prop participant.
I'm told by my boss that allowing there to be prop participants at all was a struggle.

The idea of the masquerade this year is to showcase entries costumes.

I'm sorry I can't change the rules. ;_; Is there anything else you have questions with..?

-Kagomechan
Nope, that was the only bit that needed clearing up. It just means we have to make sure she's done up well too...which probably won't be too difficult. It's making sure that I'm ready that will be the problem!

2013 Events:

Unread 01-20-2005, 02:32 PM   #10
kagomechan
Pirate

Well good luck Dany! I look forward to seeing it back stage. I'll be the staffer with the orange hair. :3

-Kagomechan
Unread 01-22-2005, 02:32 PM   #11
Aisha-chan
Cosplay Hell Gatekeeper

Wow. Those are really... anal rules...

Do you really need parent's permission to enter a skit? Jeez. I've been in a cosplay group called Cosplay Hell, and well... we aren't that organized. It's mostly hell because we can't always tell who we are including in the skit...
Aisha-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2005, 02:33 AM   #12
kagomechan
Pirate

I don't write them, I just stalk to forums! :3

Sorry but yes we need the parents signature in case something goes wrong and you or any other entries get hurt. It's protection for the con as well as you.

-Kagomechan
Unread 02-13-2005, 11:49 AM   #13
brocas
Film Burner

This is the one that bothers me:

Professionally made or bought costumes may not compete for construction scores or awards. If you make costumes for sale, your costume is considered to be professionally made. Found item costumes in which the wearer has gone shopping for individual articles of clothing to assemble a costume from do not qualify as bought costumes.

Does this mean that the many cosplayers who also do commissions are not eligible to enter? This would immediately knock many of the better costumes out of the running. Wouldn't it be a better idea, in this case, to have levels, like beginner and pro?

And yes, I realize you don't make the rules, just wanted a little clarification on this; I know several comissioners who will be going to the con. Also, many people buy costumes, props, wigs or parts from costume commissioners; would they then also be not eligible?

http://www.californiacosplaytimes.com
brocas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2005, 07:05 PM   #14
Cameko

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocas
This is the one that bothers me:

Professionally made or bought costumes may not compete for construction scores or awards. If you make costumes for sale, your costume is considered to be professionally made. Found item costumes in which the wearer has gone shopping for individual articles of clothing to assemble a costume from do not qualify as bought costumes.
This one is bothering me as well. I'd think the best costumers would be the ones who also are good enough to sell their work in addition to the costumes they create for themselves.

I can see not judging costumes that were purchased and worn by somebody who did not create them, but disqualifying the best cosplayers seems a little extreme. How far does this go? If you create props or jewelry or accessories for sale are you disqualified? Chobit ears?

And how strict is the rule? If a costumer retires a costume they made for themselves and then sells it on ebay, are they disqualified? I know a lot of cosplayers who sell off surplus items they created but no longer need. What about somebody who makes costumes for their friends and has the cost of supplies reimbursed?

I think this rule needs to be rethought.

I'm just a photographer, but I'd like to see the best cosplayers participating with their work judged on merit and this rule seems to prevent that. I can see having a pro and non-pro level, to let the less experienced cosplayers have a chance to be recognized for their efforts, but not an outright ban on "professional" cosplayers.

Warren
Cameko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2005, 11:45 PM   #15
kagomechan
Pirate

Okay! ^_^

The purpose of the rule in question is to keep groups who run a buisness making costumes, out of the masquerade.

For the sake of argument let's say that if a costumer makes enough money from making costumes specifically to sell to other people that they are required to pay income taxes on it, they are professionals. Taking an occasional comission, making a costume for a friend, or ebaying retired costumes obviously will not generate this kind of profit.

With regard to comissioning accessories, such as wigs, for a costume, we have no problem with that provided the majority of the costume has not been comissioned.

As for skill ranking, AOD Staff is familiar with the International Costuming Guild masquerade rules and skill ranking system, but has elected not to use these for various reasons.
Of primary concern was that the rules and skill ranking system were designed for ICG events where certain standards prevail among judging and competitors. Masquerade judging proceedures and entry levels vary greatly between anime conventions, most of which do not use the ICG standards. Because of this we felt it was unfair to give equal weight to all awards from all anime conventions by implementing a skill ranking system and chose not to do so.
Unfortunately, by doing so it may seem to many novice cosplayers that they are apparently competing on the same level as experienced cosplayers. To alleviate this we are requiring a full masquerade history from all entrants. Each individual will be evaluated according to their past record rather than according to a more arbitrary skill ranking.

If people wish to enter and have concerns regarding how this could affect them, they are free to email us.

-Kagomechan