Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime LA

Unread 01-18-2005, 02:45 AM   #1
Katamari

Weapons Policy

I've searched through the Anime L.A. website as well as the forums for a weapons policy, but found nothing concrete. Other than general rules such as no live steel, what other restrictions are there? I'd like to know where and when to get my gunblade peace-bonded if required.
Katamari is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-18-2005, 12:04 PM   #2
Hazel Chaz

Weapons Policy

It is the policy of Anime Los Angeles that no real or realistic projectile weapons may be carried anywhere within the convention except during the masquerade or specially approved events. The use of a weapon during the Masquerade or during a programming event must be approved by the Masquerade Director or the Programming Coordinator respectively. No weapon of any kind may be drawn or wielded in any area of the hotel or convention space.

Anime Los Angeles defines a weapon as any object designed to cause damage, or any replica of such an object, or any object that the Committee determines to pose a risk to the safety of others or to personal or hotel property. The Committee reserves the right to alter or amend this definition and the right to impound weapons for the duration of Anime Los Angeles. Failure to surrender a weapon for impounding is grounds for immediate revocation of membership without refund and expulsion from the convention.

Dealers who sell weapons must securely wrap each item at the point of sale and provide each customer with a printed copy of these rules.

We at Anime Los Angeles know that most people who would like to carry weapons are sensible and careful individuals. However, we must keep in mind liability, legal issues and our relationship with the hotel. The safety of you, the members, must outweigh any other consideration and it is with this in mind that these policies have been formed.
Hazel Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2005, 01:59 PM   #3
Jinyo
Ignoranime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Chaz
No weapon of any kind may be drawn or wielded in any area of the hotel or convention space.
Does this mean sheathed, peacebonded weapons will be permitted? Will there be a weapons check-in, inspection, or peacebonding station?
Unread 01-18-2005, 02:30 PM   #4
Hazel Chaz

Peacebonding station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinyo
Does this mean sheathed, peacebonded weapons will be permitted? Will there be a weapons check-in, inspection, or peacebonding station?
If you stop by the Office (ask at Registration) we can get you set up. If you already have something to peacebond it with, you get bonus points.
Unread 01-18-2005, 02:39 PM   #5
starlet_flower
Miss GENtern

oh, that's good to know, since my weapon definately needs to be peace-bonded.

Finished Costumes
SurGEN-Repo! The Genetic Opera
GENtern(regular version)-Repo! The Genetic Opera
Opera GENtern-Repo! The Genetic Opera
starlet_flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2005, 03:01 PM   #6
PikminLink
The Hero of Time

my weapon needs peacebonding then.

What about props that arent swords or in any type of weapon form? Like a Staff or something? do those need to be checked too?

"A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever" - Shigeru Miyamoto

~Pikminlink.com my website.
~Facebook my facebook
PikminLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2005, 04:43 PM   #7
Gainax Boy
Master of Ceremonies ^_^

My Shinai would probably have to be Peacebonded as well then.

"Smile Often, feelings are Contagious"
AIM @ Dreamer81382

It's not easy being SNAPE
Gainax Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2005, 05:27 PM   #8
Tokyo Kitty
Haruko-pyon~!

Thanks for the info. My weapon needs peacebonding as well then.

Neko Planet || ACO3 presents Whose Line Is It? Anime! || Tokyo Kitty on ACP ||
WCS US Prelims on Facebook
Tokyo Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2005, 07:38 PM   #9
Hazel Chaz

Walking sticks vs. combat staffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikminLink
my weapon needs peacebonding then.

What about props that arent swords or in any type of weapon form? Like a Staff or something? do those need to be checked too?
If you use it like a walking stick and don't wave it around, we won't have a problem. If you're going to use it like a weapon, we're going to object.
Unread 01-18-2005, 10:14 PM   #10
Jaina Solo
Rurouni Jedi

Okay... Going back a few quotes here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinyo
I want to hear this straight from the horse's mouth: Are we talking no real swords, like a katana or a sakabatou? Or those are allowed as long as they're peace-bonded and unable to be drawn? I'm assuming no live steel, but this seems to never been totally clear. And how about a bokken? Probably same as a shinai--would have to be peace-bound? I'll check in at the office just to be safe.
Unread 01-19-2005, 12:33 AM   #11
Hazel Chaz

Regarding live steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaina Solo
I want to hear this straight from the horse's mouth: Are we talking no real swords, like a katana or a sakabatou? Or those are allowed as long as they're peace-bonded and unable to be drawn? I'm assuming no live steel, but this seems to never been totally clear. And how about a bokken? Probably same as a shinai--would have to be peace-bound? I'll check in at the office just to be safe.
Peace-binding is what we're after here. We don't want you to draw your weapon; we don't want anyone else to be able to come up and draw your weapon.

If it's a sheathed weapon that can't be drawn, it doesn't matter if it's real or not -- it's not coming out. That's where we're coming from, we don't want anyone drawing a weapon.

If by "live steel" you mean visible blades that you can touch -- or a live steel mock combat demonstration -- we don't want that. No, no, no. If you want to have a sword that stays peacebound in its scabbard, though, we can handle that.
Unread 01-19-2005, 09:47 AM   #12
Sana-chan
I know, right?

So not even an obviously plastic toy sword replica is allowed?
Sana-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2005, 01:16 PM   #13
PikminLink
The Hero of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Chaz
Peace-binding is what we're after here. We don't want you to draw your weapon; we don't want anyone else to be able to come up and draw your weapon.

If it's a sheathed weapon that can't be drawn, it doesn't matter if it's real or not -- it's not coming out. That's where we're coming from, we don't want anyone drawing a weapon.
aww this sucks much! i always walk around with my wooden sword prop at all cons and i never caused or had any problems, and i never hand them over to people i dont personally know. this feels like punishment to the people who actually care alot about their props. its not like im gonna go swing it around attacking people, and thats why no one should let anyone else hold their prop if they dont know the person personally. Some of those uncaring people would want to act all mighty and have fun with swords and stuff.......but not with mine thats for sure. (sorry but it gets me upset when us caring people have to hide our stuff, my outfit is incomplete without my sword-_-) and my props mean alot to me (an im sure alot of others feel the same about theirs)

"A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever" - Shigeru Miyamoto

~Pikminlink.com my website.
~Facebook my facebook

Last edited by PikminLink : 01-19-2005 at 01:44 PM.
PikminLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2005, 02:13 PM   #14
starlet_flower
Miss GENtern

eh, definately really sucks. i mean, my weapon isn't steel. it's not sharp, and i have a sheath for it, but it's still metal. i probably won't be able to bring it in then...which'll make my costume pretty pointless without it.

Finished Costumes
SurGEN-Repo! The Genetic Opera
GENtern(regular version)-Repo! The Genetic Opera
Opera GENtern-Repo! The Genetic Opera
starlet_flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2005, 02:44 PM   #15
Hazel Chaz

Carrying props vs. waving them around

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikminLink
aww this sucks much! i always walk around with my wooden sword prop at all cons and i never caused or had any problems, and i never hand them over to people i dont personally know. this feels like punishment to the people who actually care alot about their props. its not like im gonna go swing it around attacking people, and thats why no one should let anyone else hold their prop if they dont know the person personally. Some of those uncaring people would want to act all mighty and have fun with swords and stuff.......but not with mine thats for sure. (sorry but it gets me upset when us caring people have to hide our stuff, my outfit is incomplete without my sword-_-) and my props mean alot to me (an im sure alot of others feel the same about theirs)
I'm asking you to have your weapon peace-bound. That is, stop by the office, and make sure that it's tied securely in place (wherever you're carrying it; typically this means tied to a sheath, or scabbard, or your belt or something). While you're at the convention, don't untie it and wave it around. And while it's tied down, nobody else can run up and grab it from you either.

We're not asking you to ruin the whole costume for us. We're just asking you to refrain from drawing your weapon, and to help us ensure that nobody else can draw it either.