Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Canada Cosplay

Unread 01-26-2005, 02:34 PM   #1
yunagurl165

Question Is there any anime cons in.....

Is there any anime cons in the London/Sarnia (Ontario) area?I know about all the Toronto ones and ottawa but is there any closer to London/Sarnia?Thanks in advace!
yunagurl165 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-26-2005, 02:53 PM   #2
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

There's going to be a con in the Niagara area this year... ^_^; But that's not exactly closer or anything. Everything is centered in Toronto, which really stinks for everyone else. =/

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2005, 01:40 AM   #3
Infini
~

I would love it if there was a convention (even a small one) in the Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge area, but I know that it'll never happen.

Ever. :P
Infini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2005, 02:09 AM   #4
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

I don't see the point of having a con in every single town. Yeah, it's more convenient because you don't have to travel......but if every town has its own little con, only the people from that area would go to each con, and since in smaller towns/areas there are only a certain number of anime fans, you'd probably just see the same people you see all the time.

Whereas a con in a larger more central area may take a little longer to get to, but it will draw people from all over so you get to meet new people from different places.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2005, 03:04 AM   #5
Infini
~

Yeah, but for any convention that I want to go to, it's a big expense if I want to go for more than one day (hotel costs), and also a big pain if I decide not to stay overnight, since the drive there and back in the same day is unpleasant. I guess I would just like a small con to go to that didn't involve huge planning and an hour and a half (at least, for the cons in the convention center) drive to get to.

I do love the larger conventions, but the biggest thing that keeps me away from most of them is the transportation there and back. If I lived in Toronto I'd be going to Ad Astra, all the TACs, CNanime...etc. Instead, I usually have to limit it to Anime North....and maybe a TAC if I'm really lucky.

It's not like I'm going to be starting a Cambridge con. That might get all of 5 people to attend, and it would be completely pointless. I don't think there needs to be a convention in every town/city at all. It would just be lovely to get up and drive 20 minutes to get there, in costume, without worrying about hotels and stuff for once.
Unread 01-28-2005, 10:22 AM   #6
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Having a convention close by is always nice - even with my first one in the big city of which my town was a bedroom community was 45 minutes away (hour depending on traffic) - and I thought that was crazy close. In uni, I drove 3 hours one way (but stayed the weekend), and I still thought that was relatively close - but that's probably just me. ^^

If you're interested in cutting hotel costs, why not look for people to share rooms? Even if it is just for Saturday night so you can check out the masq? Or volunteer and earn some cheap crash space (but maybe not so friendly for costumers)? There's also carpooling. There's hopefully someone coming from your neck of the woods out to Toronto for the convention - the trick is finding these people. The TT Message board would be a good place to check for that one - there's usually lots of helpful people. I don't know if AA has a board or anything; you might have to look here or on the TTMB. Have you looked into public transportation, such as bus? Might be worth it to invest some time looking into. You'd probably enjoy the cons more if you could stay overnight since there's often late night events and programming going on.

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2005, 01:21 PM   #7
Infini
~

The bus is pretty expensive from here (for me), but I definitely try to share hotel rooms and carpool when I can (although I'm usually the one driving...).

I was mostly joking about having a con in my area, it just does get tiring to always worry about who I'm going to find to share a room with/booking the room/making sure my car can make it that far without exploding/making sure I have everything since home isn't exactly close by/etc...for every single convention I want to go to.

So...I guess that's all it is. I think everyone who has to travel more than an hour with questionable transportation and severe lack of funds probably would just like, for one day, to have a con around the corner from their house that they could just dress up for without too much concern. Just a silly wish.

(I keep repeating myself because I can't quite think of the perfect way to phrase what I'm thinking, and I hope that saying it in different ways will make more sense.)
Unread 01-28-2005, 10:48 PM   #8
Amy the Yu
Uber-Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infini
The bus is pretty expensive from here (for me), but I definitely try to share hotel rooms and carpool when I can (although I'm usually the one driving...).

I was mostly joking about having a con in my area, it just does get tiring to always worry about who I'm going to find to share a room with/booking the room/making sure my car can make it that far without exploding/making sure I have everything since home isn't exactly close by/etc...for every single convention I want to go to.

So...I guess that's all it is. I think everyone who has to travel more than an hour with questionable transportation and severe lack of funds probably would just like, for one day, to have a con around the corner from their house that they could just dress up for without too much concern. Just a silly wish.

(I keep repeating myself because I can't quite think of the perfect way to phrase what I'm thinking, and I hope that saying it in different ways will make more sense.)
There's the Waterloo Animation Festival that runs each year. The anime aspect's been going down steadily though...

Bussing via Greyhound (at least w/ student ID) is pretty affordable at $26.75 for a round trip to Toronto.

Volunteering at the cons (applies to AN and CN) will get your membership refunded, and AN will even provide food and crash space to volunteers. It's fully possible to attend AN for no more than $10 and travelling expenses can be minimalized quite easily.

If you can make it to UW's campus, the FED buses run to Toronto for even less than Greyhound. And there's an Airporter service to Pearson from campus.

And if all else fails, CTRL-A's always a good source for anime. Anime club as it is, it's damn freaking big and shows are two days long.

Next Convention: Youmacon
2009 Cons: Katsucon, Con-G, MacTAC, Ad Astra, Anime North, Colossalcon, Polaris, Otakuthon, Otakon, CN Anime, Youmacon, DTAC maybe more...
Amy the Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2005, 02:06 AM   #9
cloud_2880

Hi all

Infini ...
Where abouts in K-W/Cambridge area are you?

I live in Cambridge...and I know what you mean about travelling to and from conventions. It's not so bad for me though cause I go for the fun of cosplaying.
(gives me an excuse to get out of the house for a day or two and have fun, talk with people and meet friends I can only see at conventions)

'til next time
Cloud

Last edited by cloud_2880 : 01-29-2005 at 02:18 AM.
cloud_2880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2005, 02:35 AM   #10
Infini
~

I'm in Galt. Around the Franklin/Saginaw area.

The last time I checked the bus fare from here to Toronto (I'm not a student...so I don't think I'd get any kind of discount) it was slightly over $40 round trip for me.

As for conventions, I do go basically for the cosplaying, and some dealer's room stuff. I've volunteered for a couple of years before at CN, and once at AN, and still found that organizing for a trip to Toronto still gave plenty of headaches. If I still lived there, it wouldn't be a problem. Toronto trips just stress me out, I suppose, no matter how I minimalize the costs. This year should be a little easier, since I'm splitting hotel costs and going up a day early (although I'm really worried about downtown driving for the photoshoots).

In any case, I'm totally getting off-topic from the thread. Sorry about that. o_o