Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 07-08-2002, 03:33 PM   #1
Ina
har har har

Boot Covers?

How do you make boot covers? i've been trying to make it but it really doesn't work out, it just looks like some leg warmers -_-*
Ina is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2002, 05:13 PM   #2
Ringo
紙の翼

I made these for my Snow Fairy Sugar cosplay, they are ony partial covers but it's the same concept.
http://paper-wings.org/gallery/projects/sugarboots.jpg
and here is a side view http://www.nmt.edu/~schlake/akon2002...6/DSCN1047.JPG (that's the best Icould find -_-)
What I did was draw the basic shape that I wanted and made it larger than what I wanted. Then I pinned the pieces together and fitted them to my body. I traced along the pinnline and then sewed where I had marked, It can also help if you look and boots and see where they have sewn the pieces together. You'll do fine, the best advice is to fit the bootcovers to your own body. ^_^
Hope that helps!
Unread 07-08-2002, 08:33 PM   #3
Tenshi
Needs more sparkles

What material are you making it out of? I've made covers out of red satin for some pumps, and they went around the whole shoe. I don't have any pics, sorry! But I started with some cheap fabric and made a pattern. I traced around my foot, cut two pieces out about two inches from the line, and sewed it together, leaving the ankle and heel open. The rest was trial and error -- I put the cover on, figured what needed to be taken in, and retried it. Once it fit, I ripped out the seams and used it as a pattern. If you don't want seams in the front of the boot, however, don't use this method.

Next Up:Mad Hatter Tamaki (Ouran Host Club), Tuxedo Mask (Sera Myu) and Kaitou Sinbad (Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne)
I declare this The Year of Making Epic Jackets
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2002, 12:44 AM   #4
Lillyxandra
Cosplay 4 life YO!

I tryed to make boot out of white satin fabric before but they turned looking like crap(... is it better to use a stretchy fabric?

Lilly
Unread 07-10-2002, 11:56 AM   #5
Lady
Sexy vonSexpants

Do you have some old shoes you don't mind messing up? I grabbed an old pair of my mom's shoes before she threw them in the trash and just sewed the bottom of my boot covers directly to the sides of the shoes. That way I have nice rubber soles to keep my feet from getting wet or hurt on the pavement, but it still looks like the boot covers are actual boots*nods*

-Lady
Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2002, 04:42 PM   #6
Ina
har har har

hmm, yeah, i was thinking of using some stretchy fabric so then if the size and the shape of the boot covers doesn't extactly fit on the boots, the stretchy-ness might help ^_^ thanks for the advice minna!!!
Ina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2002, 05:13 PM   #7
Lady_Sephiroth
Lady of Avalon

I ALWAYS use spandex or some stretchy fabric, that way they stay up -- the one time I used semi-stretch fabric I ended up emer's glue-ing them to my legs I use a set of instructions that I found at Method:Cosplay, they work very well, i have done 3 pairs of boots this way. Go here

http://faeriewings.net/method/

and it is under accccessories. Good luck!
Lady_Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2002, 05:34 PM   #8
Celine
Remember me?

I agree that stretchy fabrics are definitely better. I've only made a few boot covers, but the stretchy stuff is much easier! I covered some thigh-high boots with a purple swimsuit material. All I did was cut a basic shape of it, put it over the boot, and pin it for a snug fit. After taking it off, I sewed it together. This way, the only seam is in the back so you don't see it. The sole was left open and I attached some clear elastic so that it would stay on the bottom of the boot when I moved around. This actually worked really well. http://meteo.rydia.net/cosplay/NeiOtakon2.jpg

I recently made boot covers starting with the base of an old tennis shoe. The material was not stretchy, but the design had a zipper down the front. I first covered some foam with the fabric, and then attached another piece for the toe. and shaped this to the shoe (I then affixed it with tape so it would not be permanent). When I was done, it looked good for a first try! http://meteo.rydia.net/cosplay/secret/boots2.JPG

The hardest part is getting the toe right.. but as long as you remember to leave extra fabric in that area while you are shaping it to your shoe, it should be fine!
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2002, 08:33 AM   #9
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

> I ALWAYS use spandex or some stretchy fabric, that way they stay up

Mine NEVER stay up, even when I use stretch.
That's where garters and fishing line come in. (My boot covers were all for thigh-highs)

I sewed a friend of mine in hers. ^___^
Unread 07-14-2002, 03:52 PM   #10
chibi_kitty

I actually found a pattern for boot covers on e-bay. it was for 80's go-go boots. it really worked. I have also just traced the boots, sewen the frount and glued the material to the boots. it worked great.
if anyone wants a coppy of the pattern I can mail it to you. I know it sounds kinda weird. but the pattern dosn't fit on my scanner. and trust me I dont stalk people. heck I can't even drive!!! and I will never use your address for anything else....

I"m sorry if that dosn't make much sence....
Unread 07-18-2002, 10:23 AM   #11
Aly

Chibi Kitty, I'd LOVE a copy of that pattern if you'd e-mail me(uzumi14@hotmail.com) I'll send you my address. That'll be a BIG help next year(lol, this year my boot covers kept on slipping, & we couldn't get them to fit properly :s)
Aly is offline   Reply With Quote