Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Newbies

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-31-2005, 12:52 PM   #1
mgcady
new player

Thumbs down Cosplay for larger women

Any suggestions for characters (from whichever genre) for larger women? I'm in the process of loosing weight, but right now I'm about a 1-2x (18-22 depending on cut), and I'm not sure which character to look at for now for ideas of what to do....

Unread 01-31-2005, 01:05 PM   #2
Singe
Out of the Cosplay Loop

Personally, I think you should just go with characters that you would feel comfortable with cosplaying as and not worry about the weight issue, in most cases. God knows I ignore it most of the time. ^.^

Are there any series that you're particularily interested in for cosplay?
Unread 01-31-2005, 01:08 PM   #3
Ayvina
Mischevious Minx

You sound about the clothes size I was when I started cosplaying. And honestly, just cosplay whomever you feel comfortable in. So if you want to cosplay Lina Inverse for example, just be comfortable wearing form fitting clothing.

Really, I never really cared how much my size was different to the character I portrayed at conventions. When I started I cosplayed Yumi from Kenshin, which is just wearing a kimono loosely around your shoulders. (Always fun ^^) But now I am looking at characters like Fina - Skies of Arcadia, Freya - Chobits and all sorts of others. (And mind you, I am only a 16 now, so it's not a big change from when I started.)

But yeah, just pick whatever character you want. Even if it's Dota ^^

EDIT:
Gomen for my rambling ^^ And btw ^^ This is Dota ^^ http://www.geocities.com/tokyo_vigilante5k/dota-1.jpg

Last edited by Ayvina : 01-31-2005 at 01:14 PM.
Unread 01-31-2005, 01:58 PM   #4
Tia

There's already a thread on this. =/

Unread 01-31-2005, 03:43 PM   #5
wheeibeme
Magical Girl Sugary Yummy

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia
There's already a thread on this. =/
wasn't that bout men, though? o0

Anyways, as everyone else has said, go with who you wanna be.
But, if you really want to go as a larger woman, I wish I could think of one...

Sorry. ^^;
Unread 01-31-2005, 05:44 PM   #6
Protodoll
rocketpunched!

I'd just like to point out that it's highly unlikely that anyone will have the body of an anime chartacter. Ever. Frankly, a human with Usagi - like proportions would look mighty silly.
So I say cosplay what you like! How you feel is a good judge of how you look (unless you have an eating disorder), so if you feel comfortable, you're proably in the right costume.
Unread 01-31-2005, 06:08 PM   #7
Tia

It said for both men and women. It kind of became both. The guy who originally posted just wanted ideas, but then it started some other discussion.

Unread 01-31-2005, 09:38 PM   #9
newmyu
Waiiiiiiiii!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protodoll
I'd just like to point out that it's highly unlikely that anyone will have the body of an anime chartacter. Ever. Frankly, a human with Usagi - like proportions would look mighty silly.
So I say cosplay what you like! How you feel is a good judge of how you look (unless you have an eating disorder), so if you feel comfortable, you're proably in the right costume.
I'm just curious as to what you meant.. ^^;

I agree with the advice though... cosplay whoever you want.
Unread 01-31-2005, 11:19 PM   #10
Toasty-sama
Lady of the desert

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=51261

I believe this is it.

I understand that for your first cosplay that you want to be as "character appropiate" as you can. Hopefully, after your 1st cosplay, you'll eventually get braver and then be able to cosplay whoever you want without second guessing it.
Unread 02-01-2005, 12:44 PM   #11
Celebrimbor
Banned

Several ideas come to mind.

If you're near 5', then Kaede (Inuyasha) or Magno Vivan (Vandread). On the other hand, if you're more of 'big and tall' build, there's Mora Bascht (Gundam 0083). However, all these characters are, well, old.

For younger characters...

Well, there's Askua in the modified plugsuit... or, um, Dejiko, maybe?
Unread 02-01-2005, 01:26 PM   #12
nekoshojo
Neko Shojo

Hey, I'm that size too! Like everyone says, wear what you're comfortable in! I'm planning on lossing weight as well. PM me. we'll talk plus size!
^^
Unread 02-01-2005, 08:03 PM   #13
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Cosplay what you like. However you should also be honest about what costumes will look good on you. Another thing to take into consideration is that larger cosplayers need to put a bit more effort into their costumes than skinny ones (unfair, but true), as the outfits usually need support such as boning, heavier fabrics and/or supportive undergarments to look good. Make sure your costume fits you properly and is made of good quality materials. ^_^

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Unread 02-02-2005, 08:59 AM   #14
Bobbi
I poke spoons with baders

I'm a size 16-18/1x so I know how that goes. ^_^

Sarcasm-Hime is right. We do need to put a lot more effort into our costumes to make them look great on us. Personally, I cosplay a lot of characters that are thin and waifish, but I modify them to suit my needs. I feel confident that I can pretty much cosplay any character I set my mind to, as long as I've got proper supportive undergarments, thick enough fabric, and boning. I haven't had to work with boning yet, but there's a few projects I'm thinking of that will require it. Just so long as the costume covers my main problem areas like my stomach, extreme upper thighs, butt (which isn't that bad, but I don't think people would enjoy seeing my rear besides my boyfriend), and lower back. I have back flab. Ewwie.

Here's a few examples of what I've done with costumes to modify them.

Gunner Yuna - I lengthened the top, and put in a flesh panel so I could wear a strapless bra underneath. I also used thick ribbed fabric for the center part, so it would be more supportive. The shorts were XL bathing suit bottoms that had a denim appearance. I found them at goodwill for $1 and they work perfectly! They're still short, but it covers up enough of me to look good. I wear nylons or tights with it too to keep my cottage cheese in place. ^^

Rinoa - The only major modification I made was widening the parts that go over the shoulders. Instead of an inch or two wide, I made them about 3-4 inches. It helps to make me look less topheavy.

Psychicer Yuna - My jacket is tailored and fitted. ^_^ The pattern came in 10 pieces. Fitted jackets look gorgeous on curvy bodies. =3

Rabi~en~Rose - Wider ribbons! I did the Nyo version where she doesn't have ribbons going up her legs. But my legs are odd... they're very slender in comparison to everything else. So... I looked like a ball of fluff suspended on stilts. I think I'm going to make the regluar version and use thinner ribbons on my legs to make my legs look bigger. But if you already have big legs, use big ribbons... it helps make your legs look smaller!

I want to make a Songstress and Gun Mage Yuna... and the top will be lengthened. I'm gonna make a ballgown Rinoa pretty soon, but I'm going to wear a matching shawl/wrap thing around my shoulders to help draw attention away from my arms. She doesn't wear one... but I loved what mine did for me at my Senior Prom. So... I'm sure it'll look great.

The biggest mistake a larger woman can make when it comes to cosplaying is lack of support. I can't stress this enough. Invest in a good supportive underwire bra with thick straps, a convertable bra where you can wear clear straps with, a bodyshaper, and if you have the money, corsets rock. I'm getting one eventually. Also, tights and sheer to waist pantyhose are great.

There's so much you can do. It just requires quite a bit of planning beforehand.