Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > InuYasha

Unread 01-01-2003, 04:48 PM   #1
Sciguy
Agent R

Question Miroku's Robe

Perhaps It's obvious and I'm not getting it, but how does one make Miroku's robe? It tucks into his tunic on the right side and on the left there's a strap that comes down. From every angle that I can ascertain, the robe is all one piece, but I don't see how that's possible without some odd stiching going on. Can anyone offer help or pictures showing a solution?
Attached Images
File Type: gif miroku 11.gif (35.0 KB, 21 views)
Sciguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-01-2003, 04:53 PM   #2
MikigamiTokiya

well it looks kinda easy but i'm not sure how to descirbe it. why not try getting a sheet or something and wrapping it around you to try and get that look. sometimes the simplest things work in cases like this and It doesn't hurt to try ^^;;
Unread 01-01-2003, 05:10 PM   #3
Sciguy
Agent R

The big sheet is my Plan B. It won't work perfectly with a sheet because if you'll notice, there's no way of fastening the sheet. Since one corner tucks into his gi/tunic, the opposite end has nothing to tie to. It's hard to explain, but if you think about it long enough, it might make sense.
Unread 01-01-2003, 05:16 PM   #4
MikigamiTokiya

yeah i know what ya mean. hell if it comes down to it use safety pins lol. well good luck
Unread 01-01-2003, 07:50 PM   #5
Sciguy
Agent R

I'll probably just use a zipper on the inside of the tunic so that I can remove the robe if need be. Or I'll just abandon it for the big sheet. Thanks any!
Unread 01-01-2003, 07:59 PM   #6
MikigamiTokiya

allrighty ^^
Unread 01-01-2003, 10:02 PM   #7
Sciguy
Agent R

Now I've got a second problem. I looked at a few episodes that I have (which is 2, lol) and I noticed that sometimes Miroku uses ofudos (paper charms with prayers on them). I want to get a sticky note pad that's long, cut it in half for the right width, then fill in a whole bunch of Ofudos. Chances are that I won't use them, but a monk is always preapared for evil!

My problem is, what would be appropriate to write on these charms? I know little Japanese and no kanji. If someone could e-mail or PM me nice pictures of prayers that could be useful, I'd be appreciative.

Also, they don't have to be serious. something that means "Sango-sama is hot!" or "Pull my finger" would be hilarious, as I'd have the translation on the reverse.

Domo!
Unread 01-02-2003, 02:38 PM   #8
hypergirl
Yep, I'm a mascot reject.

You said you needed some Kanji. I have a kanji book and i could copy some of the pages out of it for you. I know some Japanese, too, so if you need any help..... try someone that knows more than me ^.^ Just pm me or something. I am always on aol im.
hypergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2004, 10:19 AM   #9
Miroku428
Kitty

I know I was wondering how to wrap it! I just did my best and held the end that doesnt go in the tunic on with a safety pin >.< yeah I pretty much just used 4 feet of purple fabric in the shape of a rectangle and folded/wrapped it together as close to Miroku's as I could get. I still don't know where I could find a shakujou cuz if I make one it is gonna be made of like a long cardboard tube and paper rings cuz I suck at making stuff as you could tell by my robes thats all I got though sci-kun sorry i couldnt help ya more.

oh and about the kanji uh..try searching the web for ofuda. I did and found a couple pictures of ofuda's and the kanji on them was kinda clear O.o but uh..you could search for kanji, then look at the kanji spelling of characters names (like sango) and put them together and I'm probably making no sense to you at all and just confusing you GOMEN NASAI! but uh..maybe there is a slight chance you understand what I'm saying?

Whenever I hard "omg female Vash!" I just wanted to yell "NO!"..I was normal vash..not female vash!

Costume photos, list of cosplays, and overall cosplay.com account is currently being worked on being changed and updated slowly..

Last edited by Miroku428 : 07-28-2004 at 10:21 AM.
Miroku428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2004, 04:25 PM   #10
RanChan03
Cosplayer in Memfrica

NO NO NO NO NO, as one of the good miroku cosplayers out there ^^ hehe first off i used about 3 yards of purple fabric, it has to go around the body 1 and a half times 4 ft won't cut it man, and hmm i gotta find the pics of the pattern i used

but here's mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpe MTAC2004-100.jpe (43.7 KB, 0 views)

Lies could be good...If they are put to good use
RanChan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2004, 03:43 PM   #11
PepeluTivursky
ಠ_ಠ

Hehe, last year was the first time I made a cosplay costume and I ended up doing Miroku too. Someone pointed me towards the picture I have attached as a way to do Miroku's 'kesa' (yes, that's the purple-thing wrapped round him).
I modified it a bit though. I cut a triangle out of one edge of the fabric, closer to the top so you have one strap and then more material. I kept trimming the triangle until I could bring the strap over my left shoulder and the other half under my right arm and around that side. I used a few snaps to keep this in place on my kimono itself.
Them I took the rest of the fabric around me left side and brought it around to where I could tuck it in in the front. I used safety pins to pin it down but I think the next time I wear it, I'll temporarily bast it ... kept wanting to slip away.
The bow itself I constructed seperately and just put it where I wanted it with a snap so it looked like I actually tied it. Mwhaha.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg howto1.jpg (67.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg howto2.jpg (53.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by PepeluTivursky : 08-03-2004 at 03:45 PM.
PepeluTivursky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2004, 03:50 PM   #12
RanChan03
Cosplayer in Memfrica

OMG it's you!! your patterns helped me out ALOT for the purple part of his robe
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeluTivursky
Hehe, last year was the first time I made a cosplay costume and I ended up doing Miroku too. Someone pointed me towards the picture I have attached as a way to do Miroku's 'kesa' (yes, that's the purple-thing wrapped round him).
I modified it a bit though. I cut a triangle out of one edge of the fabric, closer to the top so you have one strap and then more material. I kept trimming the triangle until I could bring the strap over my left shoulder and the other half under my right arm and around that side. I used a few snaps to keep this in place on my kimono itself.
Them I took the rest of the fabric around me left side and brought it around to where I could tuck it in in the front. I used safety pins to pin it down but I think the next time I wear it, I'll temporarily bast it ... kept wanting to slip away.
The bow itself I constructed seperately and just put it where I wanted it with a snap so it looked like I actually tied it. Mwhaha.

Lies could be good...If they are put to good use
RanChan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2004, 04:24 PM   #13
PepeluTivursky
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanChan03
OMG it's you!! your patterns helped me out ALOT for the purple part of his robe
I wish I could claim ot have figured that out but alas, I wasn't the one that drew those instructions. I just happened to find them on some cosplay forum around the beginning of last year, when I was trying to do my own Miroku outfit.
They were a /big/ help though, even if I did bastardize them a little thanks to my inability to buy enough fabric.
Unread 08-24-2004, 01:30 AM   #14
mai_flower

If you need help with a miroku cotume visit my website http://inuyashaslair.friendpages.com and go to articles and you will see lots of tips on inuyasha character cosply.
Unread 08-27-2004, 12:14 PM   #15
MemoriesofYuna
The Lonely Princess

i only have one thing to say and one thing alone..... make SURE that it's nice and baggey arround you. so that it flows when you walk and looks just like mirokus. MAKE SURE OF IT! you do not know HOW many i have seen where the purple robe is way to tight and to short.

http://www.ceyah.org/~jandrese/cospl...miroku_ama.jpg

http://people.brandeis.edu/~csamuels...katsu02_52.jpg

http://www.animencontro.com.br/images/fernando.jpg

http://kikouyous.web.free.fr/Inuyasha/miroku01.jpg

this one did a pretty good job
http://www2.big.or.jp/~bkmoon2/inu/images/Dsc_6944.jpg

manny moons ago i saw one costume that was PERFECT for sale on ebay and i wish i could find it now. pleeeeeeeeease make sure that it can wrap at LEAST twice arround you at the bottom of it or else it will look horrible. the one i saw was 152" arrounf the bottom when most people are 30 or so inches arround. it had a drawstring at top and all. just make sure you do it right so you make a better effect and might be able to win something. i only want to see success of other cosplayers and seeing people do little details like this that everyone seems to skip makes me verry verry happy. i wish you nothing but the best of luck and that you don;t get to into character and chase songo's arround all day! -Aseret Yuna