Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Canada Cosplay

Unread 02-10-2005, 09:45 PM   #1
M-J

Toronto cosplayers

Hi,

I'm a Toronto journalism student, and for my feature in magazine class I'm focusing on cosplayers. I was wondering if there was a group of dedicated cosplayers who are planning on attending the Toronto Anime Convention at the end of March who I could basically profile.

What I mean by "dedicated" is that you've attended several conventions/competitions in the past, and you generally spend a lot of time/effort on your costumes. As for group, that can be any number of people.

Basically what I'd like to do is ask you about your cosplaying experiences, then go with you to the convention on the Saturday and watch the Cosplay Idol.

If anyone's interested, knows someone, or wants to discuss it further, please reply or send me an e-mail at: m7johnso@ryerson.ca. Thanks everyone - I appreciate any help!
M-J is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-10-2005, 09:50 PM   #2
Amy the Yu
Uber-Otaku

This type of thread has surfaced often and most of them seemed to have been closed down by a mod relatively quickly.

If you need people, just go to the convention and ask people if they're willing to do it there. MTAC also isn't the best place to find "dedicated" fans, since it's a small con and even if it wasn't during the school year for everyone in school during March (which is mostly everyone), a lot of people don't like going because it's a Hobbystar con and from past experiences with Hobbystar mini-cons, many "dedicated" fans find that it's just not worth the money they insist you throw at them (since we're the one that go to enough cons to know which ones are worth our money and which ones just aren't).

A lot of people will be sitting around the halls hanging out, seeing how long they can last without a ticket and a lot of people will not go at all. You'd have better luck looking for people at something like Anime North.

Next Convention: Youmacon
2009 Cons: Katsucon, Con-G, MacTAC, Ad Astra, Anime North, Colossalcon, Polaris, Otakuthon, Otakon, CN Anime, Youmacon, DTAC maybe more...
Amy the Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2005, 10:30 PM   #3
Ochika
Dynasty Laywers

im a dedicated cosplay nerd XD and ill be there on sat sporting the new and vertually unknown new Gaara on saturday XD and gaaras 'secret' identity on sunday XD. im pretty sure me and mekou wouldnt mind saying a few things cause we'v both been to our share of cons and even run a masqurade for NAF ^_^ so we're pretty dedicated to our cosplay.
Ochika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2005, 05:22 PM   #4
Cazeson_Zear
~*Virus*~

Im open for that kind of stuff, I saw that at last years convention.

If i see you there, then you can profile me if you would like.
3. Kazuma- Scryed-Cna.
Cazeson_Zear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2005, 01:56 AM   #5
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

I agree with Amy....most of the dedicated costumers I know will not be at MTAC.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2005, 07:42 AM   #6
archangeli
~ Ich bin da. ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasm-hime
*nods*

Corner-Con isn't the best place to find the most dedicated costumers in this city.
Unread 02-12-2005, 12:20 PM   #7
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasm-hime

I also agree. MTAC does not promote costuming or really appriciate costumers by giving them any costume specific programing. Many of the most dedicated costumers I know do not attend this event myself included. There will certainly still be a few however. Good luck. I hope you meet some great people.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com

Last edited by Kaijugal : 02-12-2005 at 12:22 PM.
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2005, 12:47 PM   #8
Mekou
Meow~

I think you'd find more of the dedicated con-goers rather than dedicated cosplayers at MacTac.

Anime North 2013
- Fionna (Adventure Time)
- GT Jade (Homestuck)

--
Con/Event Photos / CosplayLab / DeviantArt / Tumblr
Mekou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2005, 12:46 PM   #9
M-J

Thanks for all your help, guys. Unfortuantely time is a factor working against me. Since this is due early April, the TAC is my only option. Otherwise, I would definitely go to Anime North.

Ochika and Cazeson, I'll contact you through PM to work out some details with you.

Thanks again guys - I really appreciate it!
M-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2005, 02:09 PM   #10
novaraven1

As people around here are always saying, "You get out of a con what you put into it" I myself will be going to MTAC and I will be wearing one of my very best costumes because I just love cosplaying. I don't care what else is going on at the con. It's an environment where I can come out and cosplay with my friends and see new anime stuff and it is totally worth the money we have to pay just for the convenience of the dealers room and the voice actors they hire.

I don't go in masquerades so I have absolutely no experience with that aspect of cosplaying. For me it's not worth all the hassel to compete for a rating and award system that is virtually meaningless outside of the masquerade itself. Noone even remebers who wins at these things since there are no big prizes, just lists that are posted the day after.

I'm not an entertainer at heart. I just love making costumes and having fun wearing them and I know when I've done a good job or not without someone telling me. I have far more fun with hall costumes and actually interacting with other fans than throwing together a theatrical performance but I know some people can't go to a con without entering a masquerade. If there is one at MTAC this year you really have to see it. Some people put a tremendous amount of effort into their skits! There are some really talented performers in the TO cosplay community!

If I see you at the con I'll give you a pair of neko ears so you can cosplay too! There are not enough original characters around for my liking these days.
novaraven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2005, 04:51 PM   #11
Cazeson_Zear
~*Virus*~

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-J
Thanks for all your help, guys. Unfortuantely time is a factor working against me. Since this is due early April, the TAC is my only option. Otherwise, I would definitely go to Anime North.

Ochika and Cazeson, I'll contact you through PM to work out some details with you.

Thanks again guys - I really appreciate it!
Ok good to no.
3. Kazuma- Scryed-Cna.
Cazeson_Zear is offline   Reply With Quote