Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Unread 01-02-2003, 10:47 PM   #1
Bonk
FOR OZ!

Are Glasses A Thing To Consider When Picking a Character?

Alright, this's been bugging me ever since I started Cosplaying. Is it bad if your a person who wears glasses and you cosplay a character that doesn't wear glasses? I kinda hate the idea of contacts, and yet, all the characters I know of in anime don't wear glasses(Except for just a couple exceptions...like a couple of the characters from Hikaru no Go, which, may I add, is a really rox'n anime which you all should check out...It's like the only anime that is somewhat realistic clothing wise >> the characters actually change their outfits and all, unlike most animes -Coughs-), but I do Xx. Is it a big deal or not? Heh, I'm just curious, 'cause I've never met another cosplayer in real life(Unless you count kids on Halloween dressed up in makeshift Ash Ketchup costumes 'n stuff like that, but they're not really cosplayers...), so I wouldn't know....

Heh, just wonderin', 'cause if it's a major thing, I might wanna start considering my glasses as a factor when I choose costumes from now on...But then again, maybe not...Most people that wear glasses in anime are uncool and scary(With, again, the exception of the HnG characters who wear glasses, though, they might be considered geeks...Tsutsui doesn't get looked upon very highly I don't think...).

Oh, and are braces a big deal too? Xx I bet I'm like the only cosplayer that's got braces...blasted pieces of metal...I hadta miss Zoids NC0 and Digimon when I got 'em on...the stupid dentist lady wouldn't shut up...she kept talking about Christmas parties and her 'on the brink of dying and poor grandmother who she has to visit today after she finished up with this' >>. Then the other dentist guy thought I was a guy.

-Sigh- Oh well, this was more pointless ramble...I seriously gotta stay on track more...

(Also, I wasn't sure where to put this Xx I couldn't decide if it belonged in Anime Costumes or the Costume Help thing...so I did the 'Eynnie Meenie Mynnie Moe' thing and I chose this one(Yes, my methods of choosing are highly advanced XP))
Bonk is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2003, 10:58 PM   #2
Medellia
Lazy Angel, Sweet Devil

I wore glasses for a long time too, and I find the best solution is to take them off when you are having your picture taken. That way you can see and cosplay accurately. I think glasses can look cute on certain costumes tho ^_^
And there isn't much you can do about braces, except keep your mouth closed when you smile. I think it really depends on the character tho. Like, schoolgirl with braces can be cute. Sexy girl with braces doesn't fit as well. ^^

:: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: ::
Second Skin: A Cosplay Site
http://students.washington.edu/medikiti

Heaven is where the angels live...
http://lazyangel.livejournal.com
:: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: ::
Medellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2003, 11:09 PM   #3
Babbit_Chan
Sarcasmic

Like Medellia said, glasses aren't a real problem if you take them off for pictures (it's what I do =D).
Babbit_Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2003, 11:21 PM   #4
Bonk
FOR OZ!

^^' I see. Heh. Taking off glasses when getting photo....good idea....then again, I prolly won't get my photo taken at OhayoCon or any other Con I go to. Oh well -Heh-. And I keep my mouth closed during all the pics I ever get taken of me at like school and stuff...and I usually don't smile...'cause the last time I smiled during a pic, it turned into this odd smirk..and it looked similiar to Ron Weasley's in the HP movies oo'. Heh. I dunno though. I realised I don't care much about anything other than the costume. I don't really take hair colour or length into consideration when choosing, or even eye colour really, or height, or gender for that matter(All my cosplaying's that I've done've been crossplays, so far, which is about three or four crossplays). Maybe I should start though ^^. I don't think any of that'll matter with my costumes I'm planning for OhayoCon though, since I'll just use some jel in my hair to make it stay like Jounouchi Katsuya's, since it's really wavy on the sides and like layered in the back, kinda like his hair. Though Kouichi Kimura's might be a problem...

Bleh, sidetracked again.

Anywho, I guess that's all. I'm ending this pointless reply now >> that's another problem, I think everything's pointless.
Unread 01-02-2003, 11:23 PM   #5
ZiggyB
The Fuzz

For me, I actually got contacts when I first started cosplaying. I didn't like the fact that for my Squall costume you really couldn't see the scar with my glasses on.

Also before this whole cosplay thing, I swore up and down that I'd never wear contacts, I mean putting a piece of plastic (silicone, whatever) on your eye? Ewwww... but I got over it. :) One less thing to worry about costume-wise. :)
ZiggyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2003, 11:53 PM   #6
penultimate03
Pwnage.

I have contacts, but the funny thing is, I only wear them when cosplaying, haha.

They're a kinda old prescription, but I can see decently enough when walking the halls cosplaying. It's handy for me to have when cosplaying a character with no glasses.

But taking them off for pictures is a good idea and I think I'm going to start doing that until I get new contacts.
penultimate03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2003, 12:00 AM   #7
Chosuke
Le Chevalier

I actually need a pair of glasses for my new Hakkai cosplay..
I mean,its even harder when you don't wear glasses but you DEFINITELY need a pair to make the costume complete.
;_;..I need them so bad,but where to get them..

Cho's Wig Commissions - Click here for information, examples and a free quote!
Chosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2003, 12:20 AM   #8
NeshaChan
It's Minty Fresh!

I -HATE- contacts, and I hate the way I look without my glasses (nose looks too fat, have big forehead), so I leave mine on, unless the photographer asks me to take them off. Which has only happened like 1/100 pictures. (and I looked horrible in that picture!) If people are only complaining about my costume because of my glasses, then pfft. My costume is still good... I'm not going to make myself suffer to be perfect. When I'm in cosplay, I'm still ME, so I'm not going to try to be someone I'm not. (IE. a person who can see) My glasses are an extension of my personality. So.. yeah. Though, I would rather cosplay as someone WITH glasses, I'm not going to let it stop me if they don't have glasses. Though a few bespectacled characters are on my to-do list. Blah. It hurts my feelings when someone insults my glasses. Yeah. So.. /end rant.
Unread 01-03-2003, 12:24 AM   #9
Natsume
Magic Pink Pony

Chobrat - Some costume stores sell them.. OR check out reading glasses and get a really light perscription... you can see pretty well out of them, and they come in lots of styles.... They're not all that much either.

As for glasses with characters that have them... Not a big deal. Take them off like they said, or if you have small ones, that aren't like... brightly coloured or anything, no one's gonna care. ^_^
Unread 01-03-2003, 01:53 AM   #10
Hikaru Tsuki
Glorificent

None of the characters I've cosplayed wear glasses, but I look horrible without mine, so I keep them on. Besides, my vision is SO bad that if I take off my glasses, I wouldn't know where to smile for the camera aimed at me. Not to mention headaches are a big issue.

It really depends on the person, in my opinion. If you want to keep your glasses on for characters without them, do it. As for braces, I don't care. ^^
Hikaru Tsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2003, 07:46 AM   #11
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

It all depends on you and how important it is to YOU to look exactly like your character. If it doesn't bother you, then go ahead and wear your glasses. Me, I have contacts that I wear only for cosplay, kendo and music performance, because I hate them so much.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2003, 11:33 AM   #12
Chosuke
Le Chevalier

I was wondering.. there are these things at the optometrist's ..
these boxes with like glasses for ten dollars,not even that bad styles.
I need two or three pairs..would I get in trouble for buying 'em..
I dunno if their just for poor people <.<;;..I'm not sure WHY they're there even

Cho's Wig Commissions - Click here for information, examples and a free quote!
Chosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2003, 12:07 PM   #13
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Quote:
Originally posted by Chobrat

I dunno if their just for poor people <.<;;..I'm not sure WHY they're there even
Erm.. because they're on sale?

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2003, 12:08 PM   #14
krystal1314
Cheesemists

I've been wearing glasses for about 3 years now, but when I cosplay I use contacts as much as I hate putting them on! It just helps me get into the characters more ^_^
krystal1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2003, 12:16 PM   #15
Bonk
FOR OZ!

Heh. Y'know Chobrat, if you don't wanna wear glasses or spend a lot of money to get them, what you can do is take a pair of sunglasses or something and just take the lenses out of them, that way it makes it look like you're wearing actual glasses. And sunglasses don't have bad styles either, if you get a pair of ones with oval frames or something...I had a friend who did that when we did these Book Reports at school and had to dress up like a person from History and he had to wear glasses for the guy, but he didn't wear glasses in real life. You could hardly tell that the lenses were out of the glasses too ^^' infact, this one girl didn't believe that the glasses didn't have lenses until she poked at where the lenses should have been and poked right through to his eye -Snickers-. And having lensless glasses have benifits, like you don't have to worry about the glare from the light hitting your lenses destroying the picture, or running into things because the perscription's messed up.
But, if you don't want to do that, then maybe you could just take them from that box and pay...I'm not exactly sure why a box of glasses for $10 each would be at a office like that either Oo the only time I've ever heard of glasses for the poor were a box at the library in my city with cheap reading glasses.