Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Unread 01-03-2003, 11:08 PM   #1
PretearWink
Check Q and A ^_^

The eternal debate...

Cloud+Tifa....Cloud+Aeris....

Cloud+Sephiroth? O.O

I'm a die-hard Clo-Ti fan, but it seems that everywhere I turn, Squaresoft is pushing Clo-Aer on me. I think it's because, if you look at Rinoa and Aeris, there are a LOT of personality similarities. Bubbly, flirty, child-like innocence, angelic... it makes for a lovable character and a great 'leading lady', but the right one for our precious Cloud?

I think not.

Amano did more than one beautiful artwork of Cloud and Aeris together. Kingdom Hearts ended with Cloud and Aeris 'reuniting'. But what did Aeris really do for Cloud...?

Tifa did so much.

Tifa was there to put his life back together when he was in the lifestream. Tifa stayed with him under the Highwind when he had nothing to go back to. Tifa gave him the space to choose between her and Aeris, and never pushed. THAT'S love. The kind of love that is unselfish and just wants the other person to be happy. Besides, the poor guy didn't even know who HE was, he wasn't strong enough to have a relationship right then, and she understood that and supressed her feelings.

And did Cloud care?

Cloud went berserk and 'killed' Sephiroth in Nibelheim when she was slashed. Cloud promised to be her hero that night under the stars. Cloud went off to be a Soldier just to impress her. Cloud went with her when no one else would when she climbed up Mt. Nibel and saved her. Cloud told Tifa her words gave him strength:

"But Tifa......But you said, 'long time no see, Cloud right? Those words will always support me." - Cloud, (disk 2)

Are they compatible?

Cloud is a distant and angst-ridden character. And well he should be! I mean, the boy has problems ^^; He needs someone to save him, help him, heal him. Tifa is a sweet (cares about everyone, including the planet), courageous ( she saves HERSELF from the gas chamber and the slap fight with Scarlet...when's the last time you saw an FF female do that?? And going off to Don Cornero alone!), and smart (ran her own business). But the quality I really respect in her is her ability to assess a situation, and use her inner strength to pull through. He parent's died at an early age, her home burned to the ground, was left on the streets, and she retained her caring attitude and didn't grow bitter or jaded. What purpose would it serve to do that? What purpose would it serve to regret what had happened? Instead, she rose above it, without letting herself get dragged down by the tragedy and the hard life. Cloud did let himself get dragged down. He became cold, lost, seemingly uncaring. Tifa helped him remember who he was. I think she is the best one to help him rekindle his feelings as well.

Aeris and Cloud?

I think the main reason why Sqaure keeps this one alive, is because she is so so so so much like every other heroine they had. If you look at most FF's you have 3 females:

The princess
The cute one
And the fanservice

Think about it:
Rinoa
Selphie
Quistis

Garnet
Eiko
Beatrix

Yuna
Rikku
Lulu

Terra
Relm
Celes

But with FF7, what they tried so hard to make simply an object of lust, somehow really showed more character and personality than the short skirt and the boob-jiggling victory dance.

Aeris was very cute, and I like her, just not for Cloud. I think she was a bit too flirtatious with him (telling him his payment for saving her was a date with her), and too innocent to really help him deal with the inner turmoils he was going through. She was a flower girl in the slums. Tell me that isn't the picture of idealistic dillusion. Though I definitely give her kudos for trying, bringing flowers to the people of the slums wasn't the best way to make a living ^^;

And though I believe Cloud truly does care for her, I think the fact that he failed her weighs more on him than his love for her. I can't explain it well...but, I believe he'd be just as obsessed with finding Vincent if he blamed himself for his death as Aeris. It hurt him a great deal, but I don't believe it shattered his heart into tiny pieces forever.

Tifa and Aeris.

Friends! They were friends! They always talked together when they could, and they kept their love triangle seperate from eachother. I don't know many friends who could do that. I think they both truly respected the other. I don't believe Tifa thought she was whiney or Aeris thought Tifa was a slut...that's just over-avid anti-fans at eachother's throat ^^;

Oh....man...I babbled on, huh? ^^;

So, anyone's thoughts on this? Agree? Disagree? Wish I'd shut up? Post away!
PretearWink is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-04-2003, 01:11 AM   #2
Adella
MalonxLink 4 EVAR11

CloudxTifa. I could argue this till I died. But I won't, cuz arguing doesn't change other people's opinions.
Unread 01-04-2003, 01:39 AM   #3
Canadianpirate

i could argue, but im to good at it and you would have to side with me
Canadianpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2003, 03:09 AM   #4
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

It's Cloud/Tifa. Replaying the game, it's obvious... Aeris had her job to save the planet anyway. Tifa and Cloud have history. :B *too tired to argue*

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2003, 03:11 AM   #5
MikigamiTokiya

I'm gonna say cloud x sephy XD that's just i'm a yaoi fan. hmmn if I had to pick on of the girls i'd say tifa though cause i dun hate her as much as aeris, she's just so whiny in tha game and so pink *_* ack
Unread 01-04-2003, 03:16 AM   #6
Vinya

Cloud x Sephiroth! It's sooo obvious! Just think about Kingdom Hearts! (Well, the Final Mix, anyway... ^_^) Ditch the gals. That's my opinion. ^-^ *avoids objects flying towards her*
Unread 01-04-2003, 01:33 PM   #7
videogirlc

I'd have to say Cloud and Tifa. They've known each other for a while, and he always wanted to impress her so she can notice him.
videogirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2003, 01:38 PM   #8
Sakura
Original Sakura

Cloud and Tifa... just what DID they do when they slept outside together that time? I've always been curious. Well, anways, they're pretty much perfect together. Tifa is so devoted to him and it's really sweet.
Unread 01-04-2003, 04:14 PM   #9
Adella
MalonxLink 4 EVAR11

I am so happy with all of you <3 *wipes away a tear*
Unread 01-04-2003, 07:55 PM   #10
shadow
Arf..

I dunno I think it could have been cloud and Aerith unfortunately the whole her being dead thing complicated matters.... cloud just got over it.... hahaha *joke*

I dunno I think it could go either way... like real life it isn't always what people see as the best couple that ends up together a lot of the time.

Last edited by shadow : 01-04-2003 at 07:59 PM.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2003, 08:16 PM   #11
Troppy
That was... objectionable

Well...I thought Tifa and Aeris were BOTH really REALLY clingy...I mean, Tifa "gave Cloud his space" but then on the Highwind the way she was acting... x_X my respect for her just went WOOSH out the window... being helpless with Cloud gone and being all dependent... I liked Tifa a LOT at the beginning of FF7, because she seemed to at least TRY to break the "submissive sex symbol" role... but then she fell right back into it. Aeris, while cute and um...magical? Just happened too quickly.

So I'll say Cloud X Yuffie. Or Cloud X Jessie. Or Cloud X SCARLET. Just because I can. ;p
Troppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2003, 08:28 PM   #12
Sakura
Original Sakura

I read an awesome Cloud x Rufus fanfic once... but my ultimate favorite FFVII couplings are:

Reno x Rufus (TOTALLY HOT!)
and
Yuffie x Vincent (just because they're both so cool and I can totally picture it XD)
Unread 01-07-2003, 07:13 PM   #13
Mizuho
Sara the Spider!

Maybe this "Tifa or Aeris" issue was also a conflict in Cloud's mind.

I can totally imagine Cloud and Aeris having a crush on each other. However, Cloud and Tifa share an intimate and deep bond that would be difficult to eclipse with someone so fleeting as Aeris. I think most of us can relate to Tifa, the down-to-earth strong, loyal friend who yearns to be appreciated and loved by somebody-- Aeris would be the mysteriously captivating girl that any boy would automatically fall in love with. I always think about whether Cloud would be happier with Aeris or Tifa in the long run, and I can't really reach any definite conclusion!

I don't know what Cloud is like, other than from what I know about him from the game (does he yearn to love somebody? Does he want a submissive partner? What kinds of values does he have? What kinds of things attract him?) Without knowing these kinds of things, I can't really say whether he'd be more content with Tifa or Aeris. Of course, I think this is one beautiful and evocative aspect of FF7, and I suspect that it's one of those things that is supposed to be left open to interpretation.

Last edited by Mizuho : 01-07-2003 at 07:17 PM.
Mizuho is offline   Reply With Quote