Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Pacific Media Expo

Unread 02-28-2005, 06:20 PM   #1
shogun

PMX05 Masquerade

I know a number of you have been poking Marisa for updates and things should be gearing up soon for the website.

We are getting ready to push out the first GoH and to revamp the site at the same time. We hope the updates will go out then.

In the meantime, we will definitely be offering cash prizes again this year. With GoH's from the Asian Cinema and the Gaming side planned, it will be more important than ever to make sure we have a wide variety of participants from a wide variety of interests. The prize sizes will probably be reduced slightly to reflect our intention of not using any kind of paid ticketing system. Also, all the performers want concerts on Sun night, so we might have to counter-program masquerade against the concert again, so we will probably be splitting the attendees.

Mike
shogun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-02-2005, 01:59 PM   #2
Rogue Marvel
Pirate Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun
I know a number of you have been poking Marisa for updates and things should be gearing up soon for the website.

We are getting ready to push out the first GoH and to revamp the site at the same time. We hope the updates will go out then.

In the meantime, we will definitely be offering cash prizes again this year. With GoH's from the Asian Cinema and the Gaming side planned, it will be more important than ever to make sure we have a wide variety of participants from a wide variety of interests. The prize sizes will probably be reduced slightly to reflect our intention of not using any kind of paid ticketing system. Also, all the performers want concerts on Sun night, so we might have to counter-program masquerade against the concert again, so we will probably be splitting the attendees.

Mike

as a thought you could do somthing like AOD is.

They are hosting the masqurade early so it doesn't conflict with the 2nd PLC concert. I know I would really like that because last year I was in the masqurade and a bunch of my friends skiped out on seeing me to watch the concert even tho they saw it the night before ;_;
Unread 03-02-2005, 03:34 PM   #3
shogun

It's a good idea. We are toying with that model right now. IF the attendance is far stronger than expected, we might need to shift masq into the same room as the concerts. If that is the case, we would have no choice but to move the time up. If not, then masq will always be competing against one band or another...

Mike
Unread 03-07-2005, 01:43 AM   #4
abellabella
Softy 4 grn eye anime men

Hi there ^_^ i had emailed someone about the masquerade last year. I just had a q that's all. Should I check out the website and send another email since it was a while ago?

Thanks u guys, i had fun there last year
Unread 03-07-2005, 07:05 PM   #5
shogun

I checked with Marisa and we hope that everything will be updated soon. We are gearing up for a full site redesign when we make our first guest announcement at the end of the month. We suspect that she will be one of the biggest GoH's for any of the cons this year...

Mike
Unread 03-31-2005, 03:46 AM   #6
Firestar

what cons could you compare this one too? like.. how is it. i plan to go this yr for the first and last time (were moving... so yeah)
Firestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2005, 06:17 PM   #7
abellabella
Softy 4 grn eye anime men

i can't compare it with any other convention. It's the only con so diverse(asian style of course =3) that I've been to in this area. I like that about PMX-it'll give me a chance to cosplay things other than anime or video games.
Unread 04-01-2005, 12:47 AM   #8
Super No 1
Yeah!!!!

PMX is a different convention because it doesn't want to be just another anime convention. The programming is more varied and balanced. There is some anime, but you also have Asian films, music, wrestling. I think that they're going to have more martial arts this year. It will probably have the best musical guests of any convention and a lot of people go just to see the concerts.

I heard a lot of anime fans complain that the convention doesn't have enough anime programming or too much non-anime programming (whichever way you look at it). PMX isn't just about anime. If you enjoy other forms of Asian entertaiment and culture or are ready to learn about them, then you will enjoy PMX. If you're only interested in anime and video games, then you need to go into PMX with an open mind and you will enjoy it more.
-Cosplay Underground - (Cosplay pictorials)
Super No 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2005, 02:02 AM   #9
crowbarzero
The mad scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super No 1
I think that they're going to have more martial arts this year. It will probably have the best musical guests of any convention and a lot of people go just to see the concerts.
Sweet. Gets a tad more hyped up for PMX.

Come to the SoCal Cosplay Gatherings!
So much fun that even Overlords will be singing, "La la la!"
www.SoCalCosplay.com
crowbarzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2005, 12:16 AM   #10
Firestar

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super No 1
PMX is a different convention because it doesn't want to be just another anime convention. The programming is more varied and balanced. There is some anime, but you also have Asian films, music, wrestling. I think that they're going to have more martial arts this year. It will probably have the best musical guests of any convention and a lot of people go just to see the concerts.

I heard a lot of anime fans complain that the convention doesn't have enough anime programming or too much non-anime programming (whichever way you look at it). PMX isn't just about anime. If you enjoy other forms of Asian entertaiment and culture or are ready to learn about them, then you will enjoy PMX. If you're only interested in anime and video games, then you need to go into PMX with an open mind and you will enjoy it more.
hmm... that helped alot actually. when it said pacific <i>media</i> expo.... all i was guessing is oh its not just anime, its comics and cartoons and video games and this and that. i dont really get into the azn music, movies, etc. haha, i dont even like there food (cept pocky... that stuffs good) but yeah. oh well. its another anime con to blow money at. haha. ill be there probably for a day in that case. im glad i found out that stuff though. is it a big con? or what can could you compare it to size wise? hey that ryhmed.
Firestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2005, 12:57 AM   #11
Super No 1
Yeah!!!!

Last year, PMX got about 3000 attendees. It was on Memorial Day weekend and Fanime also changed their dates last year to Memorial Day Weekend. A lot of Southern Californians like to make the trip up north so Fanime put a dent in PMX's potential audience. It was at the cavernous Anaheim Convention Center and at times, it felt like a ghost town. Events were spread out between the convention center and the Hilton and it felt so empty. With the change in dates and location, it's probably going to get bigger attendance. The only other competition is Anime Vegas. Quite a few people from the Southern California area went to Anime Vegas, so it's probably going to take business away from that convention.
-Cosplay Underground - (Cosplay pictorials)
Super No 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2005, 11:11 AM   #12
jtnishi
CREEPY PHOTOGRAPHER #1146

Actually, this year, it _isn't_ up against Anime Vegas, even though last year, Anime Vegas was on Labor Day weekend. This year, they apparently moved it back to late October, up against Yaoi-Con.

However, looking at A Fan's View calendar, PMX will be up against AnimeFest in Texas and KumoriCon up in Oregon, plus Dragon*Con out on the East Coast. However, I suspect PMX will probably be a bigger draw than the 2 anime events.
Unread 04-08-2005, 02:40 AM   #13
shogun

Moving away from FanimeCon (the other major CA con) will help a lot too. When we moved AX to Los Angeles, it was to take advantage of one of the best markets in the country. I suspect that the support for an Asian Pop Culture event woud be even bigger.

Mike
Unread 04-12-2005, 03:24 PM   #14
shagrath
what is what?

I honestly can't wait untill this years PMX. i ent last year (but jusat for a day) and it was honestly one of the best days of my life... i'm glad thatthey might make the masquerade earlier so then that way i could probably pack more into my day.
Unread 04-13-2005, 02:30 PM   #15
Rogue Marvel
Pirate Love

so are there going to be cash prizes again for the masquerade?

I think that will make a really big draw this year, I'm sure it would have been bigger last year if it wasnt for fanime