Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Unread 01-04-2003, 09:56 PM   #1
Setzer
E Nomine Michel

Thumbs down ff XI

is the promess of online play worth it?
do we have to pay for a monthly thing to play online?
will there be a pc release?
if so...will you be able to play with the ps2 version?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 005.jpg (15.1 KB, 48 views)

Unread 01-04-2003, 11:23 PM   #2
*Shiva*
RED SOX FTW <3

Well, I'm not sure about how it will be handled when its released in the U.S. and Europe, but in Japan:
1) Yes, a monthly fee was charged to use the PlayOnline service, which was part of the whole FFXI thing.
2) I believe a PC version was also released, or is going to be released.
3) I thought the whole idea was to be able to play cross-medialy (yeah, I made up a word: shoot me ), so that it didn't matter whether you played the game off your PC or hooked up your PS2 to the internet, but I could be wrong.

Finally, is it worth is?
For me, no. Although I'm a diehard FF fan, I'm not really interested on playing it on-line if I have to pay to sign up. Why? I have a lot of other things which take priority in my life other than Final Fantasy, so it takes me quite some time to get through a game. Usually at least a year, if not more. As a result, the idea of paying a monthly fee while I play maybe once in that time period isn't worth it to me. If something changes, I might reconsider.

2014 EVENTS: Katsucon, Anime Boston, PortCon Maine, Dragon*Con
*Shiva* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2003, 11:24 PM   #3
psythe

I was iffy about it, but since I heard a PC version was being released I will play it.
psythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2003, 12:29 AM   #4
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Blah. I'm still pissed they decided to put an online game in the middle of their numbered series. They should've been smart like Phantasy Star and simply called it "Final Fantasy Online" -- or better yet, Square should've just made an online game with a different name. :P The elves and other things I saw in screenshots are so not FF. -.- Blah.
It looks neat, but I've never bothered with online games before, so I doubt I'll check it out ever. *shruuuug*

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2003, 12:14 PM   #5
Troppy
That was... objectionable

I agree, Michi. I totally think they called it FFXI just because they knew it wouldn't sell well otherwise... x_X Kinda like the FF Movie, which STILL ended up failing.
Troppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2003, 12:20 PM   #6
Aoshi Shinomori
Bishounen Senshi

I heard that they were having problems in japan with the servers online. I hope they get it fixed before they bring it here.
Aoshi Shinomori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2003, 02:15 PM   #7
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

YES. Troppy, the name of the FF movie bothers me too. They were simply using it because it was recognizable. Stupid Square. I hope Enix puts them straight.

Aoshi, yeah, I heard that too, and I'm sure they will. :X

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2003, 05:06 PM   #8
DJ(SiC)ness
Kyo For President

Ok there is a chance The US might not get FF11 for a really long time if ever on PS2...Square dosen't want to release the Ps2 harddrive in the states becuase FF11 is the only game that uses it and they don't want to make hardware that might not sell alot .Since you need to PS2 hard drive to play ff11 it would make things very difficult.

And about the server thing. On the very first weekend FF11 was online all the servers crashed...becuase sony did not anticipate so many people buying the game all at once...so there servers were overwhelmed by the amount of people...that they just shut down. This is all fixed now and there are no real problims at the moment.
DJ(SiC)ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2003, 07:18 PM   #9
diqitaldreams
Rock Lee Fangirl!

I dont' do monthly subscriptions. the game, itself, is expensive enough but for people to pay to play is stupid. It's people trying to milk gamers for all they're worth. That's why...I protest them!
Unread 01-08-2003, 04:27 AM   #10
nails
otaku....des

for a MMORPG to survive you have to pay. The amount of money, and bandwith required to run multiple 2000 player servers is just astounding. the $10 a month is chump change to yank you out of your world and put you in a new one.

I've been seeing allot of negativity towards FFXI, but I for won am looking forward to it. Untill they make the MMORPG of my dreams, I'm sticking with Final Fantasy.
nails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2003, 05:53 AM   #11
Yuna
Nessa
A frakin' Mod

It's bombed in Japan, I highly doubt Square's going to release much hype about in the US... it's been out there for like half a year now and there's nothing but server problems, server problems, server problems. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY.
Yuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2003, 04:15 PM   #12
soshi
onna kaizoku

*nods* it did really bad online in Japan, not only due to massive server problems, but the fact that no one wants to play a FF game online.. they want to play it like they played all the previous FF games. due to it's lack of success in Japan, they're putting out a normal version.

hopefully they'll do a bit of thinking ahead before they try something like that again - but, oops, already hoped that after the movie. I guess we'll just have to put faith in their merge with Enix and see what happens.

on another note, I think an online multiuser FF thing would have been cool, if they'd done it better. a pre-set story and limited characteres usually don't work too well for online gaming. if they wanted to make an online game they should have just made it an EQ style thing where you can creat your own character from pre made variables and just go romp around. I wouldn't be opposed to making my own FF-style mage or whatever and skipping around killing stuff in a massive FF-themed world.

but... moof. yeah. la la la...

And yes, this means you.
soshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2003, 01:55 AM   #13
Limeyaku
First-Mate

*random*

how would you type messages to other players through the pc? x_x letter-by-letter selection would be deadly. >_< and even though it most likely will be p2p ( pay to play ) the official site hasnt written a word about costs...for anything actually. ._.

the beta testing is going on right now though. i was 100% against it at first but now i think itd be a really neat and fun change. ( <-- really only wants to annoy friends and family who will be playing with useless chatter >_>;; )

even if it's not p2p, the cost of the game, driver to go online through ps2 and communicating device ( assuming its not letter-by-letter input ) is going to be massive anyways. x_x now that i think about it...maybe it'll be like a 'hey you pikachu' microphone thing to talk into and it types for you. >D lazies of the world unite. XD i cant really think of what else they would use though, other than...a ps2 keyboard? X-x even still, switching between controller/keyboard would be really annoying...
Limeyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2003, 12:03 PM   #14
FreakinRican
Bomb a Head!

I'm beta testing it now and its really fun. You guys should read about it more at www.ffxionline.com.

Once you play it all the negative stuff will go away. I'm a TaruTaru White Mage on the Cactuar server. I'm playing the PC beta with PS2 Beta testers. Barely any downtime at all! Really nice translations!
FreakinRican is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2003, 03:39 PM   #15
caelestis

I'm a beta tester as well-- I actually am enjoying this game a LOT-- despite the fact that for some reason anyone who finds out on the beta that I'm a *girl* playing is is shocked..

I'm doing the PS2 beta, and conversing with other characters is done like the PC-- hooking up a USB keyboard to the PS2 and typing away.

I'm a Hume Female, Warrior/Black Mage from Bastok-- and currently on my way to earning my summoner class. And like anyone else doing the beta, we're limited to Cactuar server (though there will be a broad selection to choose from of different servers when the game officially launches here-- although I have several friends who have been doing the Japanese version on Ragnarok and Bahamut for a while now ^^).

The game will be across both PC and PS2, as your character information is stored directly on the server rather than on your PC/HDD-- so you can be playing your PS2 version, decide you want back on your PC, and just get on and continue where you left off. I have had to adjust to switching between the keyboard and controller, but found it easy to just put the keyboard inside the video cabinet, and do a lot of gameplay based on the keyboard commands, and just using the joysticks of my controller. In truth though, the joysticks are easier to control the character in opposition to the mouse/keyboard commands of the PC version. I'll recommend the PC version if you have a very nice graphics card-- the graphics, for even a game that has been out for a year, are niiiiice. ^^

There have been minor glitches so far with the server from what I have seen, but any errors were taken care of within 2 hours. Lag time is almost nada, even with 56k players on at the busiest times. But in all honesty I have yet to see a major game stopping problem, either hardware or software.

US Gamers should be expecting the PC version sometime around November at least, while the PS2 has (from what I have been told) been pushed to early January. But both will be making their way stateside, despite what anyone has heard that they will only be bringing the PC version here (because if so, why the hell have I been playing a PS2 beta for the last month?).

There is a whole story involved, but each is slightly different depending upon which country you sign an alliegence with in the beginning while setting up your content ID. The opening FMV from the installation disc I received gave some insight to the story, but as you progress more of the story comes to light.

And the 10 bucks a month is like the fee to almost any other online game that you have to pay for. Doesn't bother me in the slightest--- the game, imo, is far better than EverQuest. They will be bringing out those cards you can buy to pay with, which is what I will probably do. And when you purchase the game, the first month is free, so if you decide it blows, you aren't obligated to pay for anymore of the online play. Officially, it will be 9.99 s month, plus your content ID (chatacter) which from what I remember being told will be 75 cents American per extra character you purchase. I can't remember if the initial content ID is purchased or comes with the game.

I gotta agree though that they shouldn't have given it a number like the other FF games-- FF Online would have sufficed just fine imo. ^^

Call me nerdy, but the one thing I am looking forward to is when the official game comes out, it will already contain the expansion packs the Japanese had to get-- meaning only one thing: Dragoon job and Dragoon armour *does stupid girly squeal* Yup ^^

... I think that about covers the questions.. *scratches head, reading back through*.. yeah. I know some are groaning still about this game, but seriously it isn't all that bad. FF Movie = bad. FF Online = not bad.
caelestis is offline   Reply With Quote