Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Detour

Unread 03-13-2005, 11:04 PM   #1
DeadLegato
Homicidal Perky Goth

Fix the Masq Recommendations?

We're a first-year Masq staff, and a second-year convention. This was the first time any of us had run one. There were problems, but we need to know what they were and how we can specifically fix them.

The major problems that I see needing to be addressed that will be fixed next year are:
1) Assigned times for workmanship judging so that people don't have to wait around so long. Really, we had no idea it was going to take so long and we're sorry. This was something we hadn't anticipated. We also hadn't anticipated large armored costumes that would have this issue.
2) Edit: There WAS water, in bottles and cups. It was by the entrance. What we probably need is better communication in the green room itself because not all the entrants were notified that it existed. So I'm going to make this one a goal for a less chaotic greenroom.
3) Re-working the judging score system. The system we had works for the convention it came from, but not for Detour. We're going to try to keep a numerical system, but scrap the one we used and come up with a new system. If any of the more experienced cosplayers/Masq directors out there HAVE one that they think will work for us, let me know.
4) Making sure the person who was supposed to sit at the table and let people know Masq was full actually goes down to the table and does so.
Yes, it WILL be at 7 next year. Things happened that pushed it to eight this year, but that's a one-time thing. Hopefully.

The things I'm curious about are:

1) Capping the entrants at 50. I know this made some people mad, but this seems to have worked out to a number that was good for the audience. (I've heard from the audience that they through the number of entrants was perfect). It also becomes too much paperwork to handle once it gets over that. If someone wants to give us a laptop with an attached printer, then we can actually start talking about raising the entry limit.

2) Cosplay Orientation. I think the walk-ons I saw were deffinately better than the average level of walk-on, and I want to think that orientation helped with that. I'm mostly interested in hearing from the people who had never competed for about if it helped them or not.

3) Rehearsals. Leave them mandatory? Move them to optional and have them be the group's choice of whether they want to rehearse? Cut them out entirely? Did they help? If people don't want them, we'll drop them.

4) Do we just want to go back to last year's system, which essentially had no skits and only did walk-ons? I thought this year was an improvement if only because we actually did have rehearsed skits performing.
However, if people feel that it's too stressful to have the skits we'll just go back to being a walk-on only Masq. I want to know if that's what people actually want.

5) What ACTUALLY worked? The audience, from what I've heard, loved it. They were absolutely wowed by it. Something had to have been working for that to happen. We will fix the stuff that's going on backstage if you're willing to help.

If you're a local area costumer with a good amount of Masquerade experience who didn't like what they saw, and wants to help it get better, then hopefully once staff meetings resume you'll come in and join the cosplay staff. We're new; we can't do it by ourselves. We've already got some people from Marscon who talked to us afterwards about how they do things and what we should change.

Seriously, we do want to fix these problems so that next year is stress free and you'll want to come back and compete in the fourth year.

We really did try our best, we tried so hard to get things right. Again, we're inexperienced. We did our best. It really breaks my heart to pieces to know that people were unhappy. From what I heard from the audience, you all looked great and they loved you. I left the con thinking everything had just gone over fine and people were happy with the Masq.

You can PM constructive critisism and suggestions to me if you don't feel they're appropriate for the thread or you aren't comfortable posting them in public.

I'd also like to hear from people who actually enjoyed the Masquerade, so they could tell me what parts we're getting right and what we shouldn't change.

Last edited by DeadLegato : 03-14-2005 at 01:09 AM.
DeadLegato is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-13-2005, 11:09 PM   #2
Hyperion
The only 100% Asian Jew!

Absolutely loved the contest from an unbiased view...from a biased view it would be the same...the help with the skits from the directors was great...the tips really helped my group...The entry number was good...maybe a few more could be added...but it was good...

overall it was a much better change from last year...keep it near the same next year pa wease!
Hyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2005, 11:10 PM   #3
DeadLegato
Homicidal Perky Goth

Thanks, it's nice to hear some positive feedback.

Edit: If you do, however, feel that you do not want to compete next year but you're deffinately coming and you have Masq experience, we could deffinately use your help. Specifically, if you have an idea of a better judging system we could use. As I said, it worked for the con it came from. It didn't work for Detour.

I'm having a hard time putting what we need into words without sounding offensive. Specificially, what I've heard that we need most are people who are willing to judge performance and judge performance only, so the groups getting workmanship awards are getting them for workmanship and the groups getting awards for performance are, specifically, getting them for their performance. Other than best of show, I would actually like to aim for the performance awards being specficially performance-only based and the workmanship awards being specifically workmanship-only based and never between shall the two meet (except for best of overall show, of course.)

So yes, if you are willing to judge and help us come up with a new criteria for you to judge under, PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE let us know. Help us out.
We really, really, really need cosplayers to volunteer specifically to be performance judges next year, since my experience is mostly with workmanship judges and I don't know many people who can do performance. I'm not sure if any of our workmanship judges will want to return, though, so I probably need those as well.

Problem with that is that if they're kept entirely separate, how do we determine who gets to place best in show? That's the kind of thing I could use input on.

Last edited by DeadLegato : 03-13-2005 at 11:29 PM.
Unread 03-14-2005, 01:50 AM   #4
satsukirebel
Flying Happy Bunny Girl

Well, I haven't really worked with cons before this one. I only volunteered a bit but I would love to help judge performances. Actually, I have a bit of a background for it, just not con-specific. If you need a resume let me know and I could send it your way.

-Satsuki

Last edited by satsukirebel : 03-14-2005 at 01:53 AM.
satsukirebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2005, 02:21 AM   #5
Amethyst Angel
Hoop Skirt Fetishist

I want to apologize for the bitter tone of my earlier comments. I know this is a new convention with a staff that's still learning the ropes and I should have been more constructive (and less emotional) in my criticism. (I guess what I'm most upset at are convention heads who treat the masquerade as more of a nuisance than the showcase of fan-inspired talent and creativity it's meant to be. I don't think that was entirely the case as far as this convention was concerned. I think the con staff did the best they could with the experience and resources at their disposal. I trust that, with the feedback and knowledge they gain from this convention, their efforts will show great improvement in the future.)

Some things I thought were done well - The cosplay orientation. It's a good idea - one that seemed especially helpful for letting the newbies know what they're in for and how they can use their stage time efficiently.

I also liked the idea of the cosplay rehearsal. It really helped our group to develop our blocking and sync our routine in time to the music. I'm sure it was of great help to others as well. I think it's an idea which should continue.

I think the concept of separate judges for workmanship and performance to be a sound one. (I have to say with this convention that at least SOME effort was put into finding workmanship judges who actually had costume experience. I once competed in a walk-on costume contest where the workmanship judges consisted of the convention's guest voice actors and Japanese manga artists, most of whom probably had very little experience with the art of (and of the technical skills involved with) costume construction and who pretty much voted for their favorite characters, regardless of the costume's technical merit. I'm happy to say that the vast majority of last night's winners were competently put together (so attention WAS at least paid to workmanship in this case, ---although there were a couple of non-winning groups that I would have liked to have seen get some recognition... that's a subjective opinion though (and of course, being a contestant, I cannot escape being biased about whom I thought should and shouldn't win. So I really don't feel I should be able to have any say about the matter.)

One last suggestion I'd make to the Masquerade judges: spread the wealth a little. It's a shame when a techincally excellent and highly detailed costume fails to receive an award because there are either too few of them to go around, or there's a decent number of them, but they are concentrated within a few select groups. (Not that the groups that win aren't deserving of them. --And it's certainly not a good idea to have the number of awards be increased to the point where their value gets cheapened. It's a pretty hard call to make, but a one award per group policy might be of help in this case. (There are those who might be opposed to such a policy, however. It's a subject which has been and will probably be debated amongst cosplayers till the end of time...)

Again, I'm sorry for my earlier comments. I know the con staff has done and will do their best in the future and I look forward to seeing what they come up with in the future.

Amethyst's Prop Blog
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cosplayer's Prop and Armor Compendium
I'VE NOW GOT STYRENE FOR SALE!!
Check out my NEW ETSY STORE!

Last edited by Amethyst Angel : 03-14-2005 at 02:26 AM.
Amethyst Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2005, 06:41 AM   #6
Mucai
Magical Girl

I think it might be best to scrap everything and start again from the beginning.
Make a list of what is involved in the contest itself at the most basic level, then add in detail as to what you need to make each of those things happen. Plan everything, including having backup plans for everything, before you start any physical work. You end up with a check list of what you need to get and do. Even if youíre getting something from another event (such as a stage) or there is something you donít even need to think about (such as having people turn up for the contest), write it down on the list.

One of the main complaints Iíve heard from cosplayers about Anime Detour and other conventions is the shear about of time they have to spend at the convention dealing only with cosplay. The only thing they should have to wait for is in the green room before going on stage.

Have no reg at the con itself. Only pre reg. Have a desk set up at the convention for people to hand in paperwork, but have noone sign up. If people know you wonít be taking walk ups, youíll get everyone signing up before the convention which gives you more time at the convention to make sure everything will run smoothly.

Donít know if Iím making any sense @_@;; If you pay for my airfare, Iíll come help you run the cosplay next year. Hehe

You also need to fix the audio -> cosplayer for next year. It seems that a number of audio files didn't play at the right times.

Last edited by Mucai : 03-14-2005 at 06:48 AM.
Mucai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2005, 11:02 AM   #7
DeadLegato
Homicidal Perky Goth

It's okay, Amythest. I just felt really bad that you didn't have a good time, and I wanted to fix what was wrong. BUT, I honestly think we can fix what's wrong since now we've run it once, we know what to expect. Since you've got a lot of experience, we'd love to have you backstage next year. Maybe even judging. *nudge nudge wink wink*

I'll probably post a thread in here asking for performance judges about two months before the con next year (maybe three) so I can round some up. Yes, we are going to entirely dump our judging criteria. It was out of 30 this year, which I think was too much to consider and too much to add together after the con. I am thinking of just limiting it down to 10 points which will only be used towards best of show, and letting the individual groups of judges pick not only their judges choice but their best of performance/workmanship themselves. That way we'll avoid the issue that happened this year esp with performance where the ones they chose as their favorites for judge's choice were also the ones they'd given the highest scores to.

We've GOT the face we give to the audience down. I haven't heard bad things from the people who were in the audience. We just have to fix the backstage.

Here is what I am thinking:
1. Pre-reg only would be nice, but we would have had six entries if we'd done that. At least this year.
2. "Stations" at the table, and I will NOT NOT NOT be working without a computernext year, even if that means hauling my desktop to the convention. If they want the contest expanded to include more entrants, I need computer. Too much paperwork otherwise. And paperwork getting spirited away when it's supposed to be in workmanship judging for reasons unknown.
Station one would be entering your information in the the computer.
Station two would be to sign hard-copy liability forms (and I want to put a check box on the entry form next to everyone's names for when they turn in their liabilities, I had an impossible time with people who would bring it back with three names signed on it, have three people in the skit, and it would turn out later one signature was a parent and one of the actual -chans in the skit had never signed and needed to do so at the last possible second.)
Station three would be your sound station, and ask people to bring mp3s instead of audio cds so the file can be put on the computer and named after the group that is using it. Having ripping software only for those who don't have it themselves.
Station four would be sign up for skit rehearsal time (we don't have the time to allow walk-on rehearsals YET. Perhaps if we ever make it to the Sheraton and can grab a dedicated greenroom.) OH, and sign up for workmanship judging time. Next year I will put in a block near the end so that skits like Utena and Al (I didn't even think about mecha and other giant costumes, and that was due to inexperience with running a Masq. I know better now!) don't have to be in costume so early. I think if I change the judging system as above the problem with it taking so long can be eliminated.

The main problem the skit rehearsals we are having is finding time for them, since mainstage is in such high demand for use and we're short on other spaces that can accomadate large guest panels. That, and that Masq has to seat an hour early and no one wants to practice while people are watching. (That last hour before Masq will probably be turned into difficult costume workmanship judging time.)
I can't do them off of mainstage because of issues such as Pocky Box hitting the overhead hanging lights, which we wouldn't have known if we'd practiced with him offstage.

I am actually thinking of maybe one Friday night rehearsal block, one 8 am Saturday like we did this year for those who aren't gonna sleep all night anyway, letting walk-ons practice on the stage immediately after orientation, one from five until seating begins at six, and another hour scattered during some dead time during the day. I'm actually hoping to put someone specifically in charge of skit rehearsals only so I don't necessarily have to be there (I am going to ask Full Metal Mockery, since she was doing so well helping people out simply out of the good nature of her heart as opposed to actually being my staff. ^_^) so that rehearsals could run simultaneous to cosplay registration on Friday.

FORTUNATELY, from what I hear my roomate is actually going to be head of programinng next year. Time to take advantage of her good nature...
Oh, and next year the hours for cosplay will not be posted backwards. Running until 11 pm would have killed us. That was my bad though, sorry.

Last edited by DeadLegato : 03-14-2005 at 11:13 AM.
Unread 03-14-2005, 11:58 AM   #8
grandis
Buried Alive in Gold Trim

DL:

Not a chance I'm joining your staff, because I'm cosplay coordinator for AnimeIowa. That said, feel free to pick my brain about how we do it, and steal anything you think might be useful to/for you. I'd be happy to mail you anything you like. I think my friend Toasted Mochi has given one of your fellow staffers my email address, but if you need it, feel free to send me a pm.

I'd be really happy to help with judging, if you ever needed it too, btw. I'm pretty good with workmanship, presentations, the whole 9 yards, and I've won a few awards from time to time.

At AI, we don't use celebrity judges, because most of them don't know costumes. We use cosplayers with lots of experience. I'm trying to instigate a tradition where I use each year's best of show as well.

Here are some random thoughts on some random things you asked about.

Quote:

2. "Stations" at the table, and I will NOT NOT NOT be working without a computernext year, even if that means hauling my desktop to the convention. If they want the contest expanded to include more entrants, I need computer. Too much paperwork otherwise. And paperwork getting spirited away when it's supposed to be in workmanship judging for reasons unknown.
Yeah, we're thinking of going computerized this year too, if I can get my helpful computer friends to work it out.

Quote:
Station four would be sign up for skit rehearsal time (we don't have the time to allow walk-on rehearsals YET. Perhaps if we ever make it to the Sheraton and can grab a dedicated greenroom.) OH, and sign up for workmanship judging time. Next year I will put in a block near the end so that skits like Utena and Al (I didn't even think about mecha and other giant costumes, and that was due to inexperience with running a Masq. I know better now!) don't have to be in costume so early. I think if I change the judging system as above the problem with it taking so long can be eliminated.
God bless you!

I'm sure you guys will work it all out. You're a good group, with lots of enthusiasm. Let me know if I can help.

Grandis

Beauxbatons Original Design from Harry Potter: Goblet of Fire: 30 percent
Sparklypoo Hogwarts Uniform from Harry Potter Universe: 20 percent
Spoor from Crest of Stars: 0 percent

Last edited by grandis : 03-14-2005 at 11:59 AM. Reason: quotage formatting
grandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2005, 02:14 PM   #9
Hikaru0
Hellooo~

It's always my belief that if a costume isn't something eye-popping (like...for example, a fully working transformer costume that even moves by itself) you should spread the awards around a little. You had enough awards for many other cosplays that were wonderful (I was personally dissapointed to see that Grandis or the stylized utena and anthy didn't get anything), don't award a cosplayer with three awards. Every con I've been to handles it this way. It keeps things fair, and keeps people from bitching.
Also, performance awards were handed out to walk-ons. Why? Was there that few skits? So, to perform, all I have to do is go on stage and strike a few poses? Gee. I wonder where I've been. There were also some of us that can project. I was in the back, and I could hear the Wakaba of the Utena walk on/skit squeal "Utena!" You didn't have a sound problem. I was not informed of the 'recorded audio' rule until it was time for us to rehearse our skit on stage, and quite frankly, that ruined the entire cosplay experience for me. I do not want 'ninja's reading my lines for me, I'm sorry. I'll admit, I didn't read the rules on the website, because again, this was a spur of the moment con for me. But I failed to notice any rules anywhere around the sign up table, or in the packet we were given to fill out.

OH yeah, on a side note, Make sure you don't award the same group for the same costumes and props best in show two years in a row. That's not kosher either. I can understand them being good, and getting AN award.

Last edited by Hikaru0 : 03-14-2005 at 02:17 PM.
Hikaru0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2005, 02:58 PM   #10
grandis
Buried Alive in Gold Trim

Quote:
It's always my belief that if a costume isn't something eye-popping (like...for example, a fully working transformer costume that even moves by itself) you should spread the awards around a little.
I should have mentioned my feelings on this earlier. I totally agree that this should have been the case. There were A LOT of good costumes in the back of the room that should have won something. I felt that the detail on the Last Exile suits was high. The JPop suits were also pretty good, as were the stylized Anthy and Utena. Please think about sharing the love. You might want judges that know costumes better.

Quote:
You had enough awards for many other cosplays that were wonderful (I was personally dissapointed to see that Grandis or the stylized utena and anthy didn't get anything)
Thank you. I can't speak for AA, but the fan reaction to the suits is a pretty good reward, even when the judges let you down. That's pretty much gotta be the case

Grandis

Beauxbatons Original Design from Harry Potter: Goblet of Fire: 30 percent
Sparklypoo Hogwarts Uniform from Harry Potter Universe: 20 percent
Spoor from Crest of Stars: 0 percent
grandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2005, 03:40 PM   #11
DeadLegato
Homicidal Perky Goth

Quote:
But I failed to notice any rules anywhere around the sign up table, or in the packet we were given to fill out.
The rules were around, but probably buried under something or someone because we weren't given the best set-up for registration. That's another thing to ask for next year... an actual table instead of "just find a couch and sit on it." *sighs* The problem is, MOST people can't project, and there's no way I can tell who can and can't project and I didn't want to make exceptions to the rules for just a few people. (The group you spoke of did get an exception because it was one word, and we taught her to project on the spot by having her practice screaming it. It took a few tries to get right.) If you know of a way to make a rule that says "If you can project you don't have to pre-record, but if you can't, you have to bring it on CD," then I would be glad to help implement it. The problem is that so many young, novice groups have no idea how to project. Again, if we manage to get a computer, I'd want it to be one ideally with sound recording capabilities so that if we do get at-con skit sign ups with dialogue we can put their own voices onto the computer. So hope brightly for a computer.
No one spoke up at the orientation when I said "You've all read the rules, right?" Or I would have read them out loud right then and there. If you were at least year's Acen, they promised microphones to the skits and then at the last minute "Umm.. they don't work!" and all the skits had to pass around one microphone between them to read their lines out of, otherwise few few people beyond the first two rows heard nothing. That is the reason for using prerecorded skits. There will either be sound recording equipment at con next year or more stage ninjas reading the lines, unless a rule can be developed so that groups that can and can't project on their own can be separated.

What the judges chose to give awards to was what they chose to give awards to. There's no director's choice award... but maybe I should get one next year. ^_^ I'm looking for costumers to give the performance awards as well as the workmanship awards next year to avoid any further confusion, and make it more clear that the performance awards are only for performance. I think there was confusion on this. As I mentioned before, a lot of the problems came from the judge's choices for performance also being their highest scored groups when it came to the bests of. Do you think the system I mentioned before will work? That way, if we do have groups winning two awards, it will only be because they are recieving both performance and workmanship awards at the judge's choice level (I'd make sure that the best of awards aren't the same.)

Advice from the senior cosplayers is always welcome, even if you don't want to join staff. ^_^ There are just things you can only learn by experience.

Last edited by DeadLegato : 03-14-2005 at 03:50 PM.
Unread 03-14-2005, 06:36 PM   #12
Amethyst Angel
Hoop Skirt Fetishist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadLegato
It's okay, Amythest. I just felt really bad that you didn't have a good time, and I wanted to fix what was wrong. BUT, I honestly think we can fix what's wrong since now we've run it once, we know what to expect.

I didn't have a completely horrible time at the masquerade, and I enjoyed the chance to show off my work. I DO wish it had ended a little sooner, though. I By the time the audience started filing out, my limbs were in agony and I had to take my suit off. I know there were a lot of people who would have liked to have Grandis and I stay and pose for pictures for them. (I'm sure once the convention issues have been smoothed out, the run time will be much sooner.)

Quote:

Since you've got a lot of experience, we'd love to have you backstage next year. Maybe even judging. *nudge nudge wink wink*
Well, it's a hectic year for me so I don't want to schedule too far in advance (although I am planning on working as a judge for AnimeIowa this year, no matter what my future life circumstances might be.) I did make an attempt to attend an AnimeDetour planning meeting a couple of years ago, but while I was driving through downtown Minneapolis, I accidentally turned the wrong way on a one-way street and was blind-sided by an SUV. I resolved never again to steer my car anywhere NEAR that area until the day I die or am rich enough to afford a chauffer. (I would be willing to attend planning meetings if they took place somewhere out in the suburbs, away from the evils of one-way streets and loopy highways which look as though they were designed by crack-addled space aliens.)

Quote:

I'll probably post a thread in here asking for performance judges about two months before the con next year (maybe three) so I can round some up. Yes, we are going to entirely dump our judging criteria. It was out of 30 this year, which I think was too much to consider and too much to add together after the con...
Grandis has a pretty good system for judging that you could lift with her permission. (I think hers has only ten points. Much easier to keep track of...)

Quote:

Here is what I am thinking:
1. Pre-reg only would be nice, but we would have had six entries if we'd done that. At least this year.
A lot of people do decide to compete on the spur of the moment, so I would agree that a pre-registration only policy would probably be a bad idea.

Quote:

2. "Stations" at the table, and I will NOT NOT NOT be working without a computernext year, even if that means hauling my desktop to the convention.
I have a nice Mac desktop that you could borrow (which sits unused in my basement until such time as I have the space to set it up.) I'm sure with the geek quotient being pretty high in this area of fandom, that you'd be able to find people willing to donate laptops and other equipment for the cause...

Quote:

OH, and sign up for workmanship judging time. Next year I will put in a block near the end so that skits like Utena and Al (I didn't even think about mecha and other giant costumes, and that was due to inexperience with running a Masq. I know better now!) don't have to be in costume so early. I think if I change the judging system as above the problem with it taking so long can be eliminated.
That would be a great help. Mecha and other large hard-material costumes seem to be becoming more popular, so that sounds like a good idea. (You might want to include people with animal mascot-type costumes in that block as well...)

Quote:

I am actually thinking of maybe one Friday night rehearsal block, one 8 am Saturday like we did this year for those who aren't gonna sleep all night anyway, letting walk-ons practice on the stage immediately after orientation, one from five until seating begins at six, and another hour scattered during some dead time during the day.
That sounds good. I do think the rehearsal was a very good idea. I would have had major issues with my props had I not been able to work them out on the stage beforehand...

Anyway, best of luck to you and the rest of the staff, and if you want any more input from me, feel free to let me know... (I promise I'll keep it constructive this time. ^_^)...

Amethyst's Prop Blog
The Cosplayer's Prop and Armor Compendium
I'VE NOW GOT STYRENE FOR SALE!!
Check out my NEW ETSY STORE!
Amethyst Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2005, 08:09 PM   #13
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Actually, DL, the system is not a bad one, and considering that in just two years AD is barely 400 shy of CONvergence's attendance totals (which it took them ten years to get to), AD is for all intents and purposes in the same size class as Cv, so there's no reason the masquerade should not be treated the same way. After all, our 50 entries (plus some!) puts their last year's total of 38 to shame.

Your real issue was with the performance judges, and all you can do to fix that is change your judges. Don't use the celebs. As for the workmanship judges, there's a much simpler fix than signing up for judging times, which requires less paperwork and less headache: time them. Get a 3 minute egg timer. Each entry has 3 minutes to be poked and prodded, and that's it. The reason things went so headachingly-long was because the judges didn't take into account trying to get through 50 entries by showtime in a reasonable manner. I formed my impressions fairly quickly, by listening to what the entrants told us about their costumes and doing a quick poke-and-prod. The other two, unfortunately, were taking a LOT longer. I honestly tried to speed them along several times, and had my sheets prepared ahead of time to try to help it go faster, but it fell on deaf ears.

The numerical system, actually, is NOT a problem at all. I would rather have the 30 point system than 10 points and then ask the judges to "just pick who they want" because that is SOOOO much worse! OMG! That's playing favorites, that's right back to where you didn't want to be! No, what you need is the person whose role I played last CONvergence - a numbers monkey. My job last year was to hang over the judges' shoulders while they were judging and write down their numbers, and begin to add them up, so that when they were excused to deliberate, they already had totals in front of them. Some lackey with a clipboard and a calculator can take care of that little detail for you, and allow you still the same very fair judging standards. I really liked our judging standards, I liked being able to mark down for poor workmanship but then mark up for excellent artistic or accuracy merit. Credit where credit is due. Yes, some people still got shafted in their minds, but you know what? That's the nature of competition. Not everyone can win. Sorry. And there was such a HUGE glut of Novices this year, there were hardly any Masters and almost as few Journeyman. We spread out the workmanship awards as best we could given the pool of talent, and we couldn't help that the performance judges had already wanted to give awards to some of the same people we did. You should all be glad we didn't just say "oh, well if they want to do that, and so do we, we'll just combine them and have one less award handed out." We almost did that. We didn't, though. We gave out every award.

If anyone wants to know SPECIFICS...I'm not going to tell you. It's not good form for a judge. But if you would like honest to goodness tips on how to improve your skills for a better chance next time...PM me. I'll discuss.

Overall you just need a few more helpers in the green room (a numbers monkey, den mothers, a few ninjas maybe) and better communication (know what? the entry numbers were not written on the sheets we had for the entrants), and non-guest performance judges. And tell concom to stop coming into deliberations every three minutes asking "how much longer are you going to be?" *growl* But apart from that, the actual judging critera and system are not bad. You just need better people implementing the roles.

You guys thought you had it bad? I thought I was going to be able to spend a couple hours judging in my costume and then go sit for the second half of the show, but nooooo... (partly my fault for wearing that costume, but...) I had to go to the bathroom the whole damn time and I couldn't stop judging for two minutes to go! Thank god we ran out of time and the last five entrants had to go on stage and come back to be judged later or my bladder would have exploded.

Just so you don't think we were having a good time controlling your fates. We certainly weren't.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2005, 10:40 PM   #14
DeadLegato
Homicidal Perky Goth

Yes, thank you so much for helping CapsuleCorp. I bow down and worship you. *bow bow bow*.

We are going to have a fantastic masq next year. Why? Because I am actually taking the time to listen TO THE COSPLAYERS THEMSELVES about what they want fixed. If only every con would do that... *Sighs and things about cons she won't name names for*

I'm also going to make sure people know I have a second masq head, because I kept getting distracted by people running up and going "HEY! Masq director! Irrelevant stupid question that has nothing to do with cosplay while you're busy talking to someone else."

But... yeah. For personal reasons which I won't go into, no more celebrity judges. Or maybe one out of the three will be celebrity.
Unread 03-14-2005, 11:42 PM   #15
Gothic_Catboy
Bring down ze Kitty Bomb

Quote:
OH yeah, on a side note, Make sure you don't award the same group for the same costumes and props best in show two years in a row. That's not kosher either. I can understand them being good, and getting AN award.
Did you see their costumes? Those weren't the same as last years. They happened to be made by the same person, but the costumes were definitely different.

And if you want to win two years in a row, make a damn good costume... two years in a row.