Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Detour

Unread 03-14-2005, 05:45 PM   #1
Animeniac

Why is the forum on the main AD site closed?

Hi, I'm Merle's mom (you remember little Merle, right?) and I'm new here to Cosplay.com (although I was lurking a bit just before Anime Detour). I tried to go to the forums on the Anime Detour site last night, and it says, "Sorry, but this board is currently unavailable". I waited until today (well, maybe the forum got a lot of traffic?) but it still says the same thing. What the heck's going on, huh?

I Googled and found out that this site had a forum dedicated to Anime Detour, so...here I am! Guess I'll make my post here.

I thought that this year was 1000 times better than last year. A lot of people seem to be complaining about the hotel, but I felt that the layout and room sizes were much more suited to a convention of this size, and greatly contributed to my greater enjoyment. You could walk around the dealers room without passing out from heat and BO, you could enjoy the video rooms for the same reason, and the consuite was not out in the back 40. Also, we seemed to be out of the way enough from the staff and other guests most of the time...fewer people looking at us with that "What a bunch of freaks!" look.

From a viewer's standpoint, the masquerade was a much better experience. The standing in line to get seated one hour ahead of time was a bit annoying, but I suppose it's necessary to avoid chaos. It would have been nice to have some pre-show entertainment prepared (to avoid that paper-airplane stuff .) The announcer was better prepared, the performers and walk-ons were also much better prepared, and it's tough to even explain how much better the half-time entertainment was! I did not agree with the judges for the most part...I can't believe that Anthy and Utena did not (IIRC) win anything, for example. Those were awesome costumes!

I was...well...annoyed by the fact that the post-convention survey didn't really have much of a place for feedback. You're only supposed to report what went majorly wrong with the convention, and your feedback is only valid if you volunteer to fix it??? Ummm...yeah. I guess I don't have any major beefs, and if they don't want my suggestions, fine. Maybe that's why the forum is down.

I'm curious as to why we were told that we could not get into the convention (a supposedly 24-hour-a-day convention to which we paid a good deal of hard-earned cash) on Sunday morning at 8 a.m. because there were no panels running yet. Well, we knew that. Only when my husband insisted ("Aren't the video rooms running? Why can't we get to them?") were we told that, oh, well, I guess if you go around to the back stairs you could get in that way. Well, OK, then. A "we're busy setting up here so please go to the back stairs and here's how you get to them" would have sufficed. Just because we didn't get a hotel room shouldn't mean we are second-class citizens.

Sorry, if I got a little ranty there. I really did enjoy myself, and the good overwhelmingly ourweighed the bad. We got so many compliments on my daughter's costume, (and even a few on the Chiyo-Dad hats) and she thinks she'd like to participate in masquerade next year (but...she'd probably change her mind if it means she has to sit there five hours, 'cause that's no fun.) We already pre-reg'ed for 2006...can't wait!
Animeniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-14-2005, 06:01 PM   #2
Zell dincht
The Magical Fanboy

merle? what was she dressed as i think i remember did she goto cosplay photoshoot?
Zell dincht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2005, 06:16 PM   #3
Animeniac

She was dressed as Merle from Escaflowne (the little cat-girl). I didn't know there was a photoshoot, other than the one for the Naruto people. Lots of people caught her in the hallways, though.
Unread 03-14-2005, 06:24 PM   #4
DeadLegato
Homicidal Perky Goth

Please bring her! We didn't have any young fan entrants this year, except ones that were part of adult groups so we couldn't give them a young fan award.

We're fixing the backstage issue so the most time you'll spend back there is an hour fifteen minutes to an hour and a half next year.

The hotel locked up a good portion of the programming area, and I don't think any of us knew they would. I went up to open cosplay rehearsals at 8 am and couldn't get in!

---
Edit: The AD boards on the main page are closed, but I'm not quite sure why yet. I'll know more after the next staff meeting.

Pre-show entertainment?! Excellent idea! AMVs for halftime, and if they want to come back, the Para-Para club for a preshow. Let's hope they want to do it!

Last edited by DeadLegato : 03-14-2005 at 06:26 PM.
DeadLegato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2005, 06:27 PM   #5
Zell dincht
The Magical Fanboy

you mean the really young girl with the green hair or am i thinking of someone else?
Unread 03-14-2005, 07:35 PM   #6
Animeniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell dincht
you mean the really young girl with the green hair or am i thinking of someone else?
No, she's the really young girl with pink/red hair, tiger stripes, and big cat ears...oh, why don't I just post a picture:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg merle.jpg (36.7 KB, 0 views)
Unread 03-14-2005, 07:53 PM   #7
Zell dincht
The Magical Fanboy

heh musta missed her though really cute costume hope to see you next year if ya go i'll make sure to say hey.
Unread 03-14-2005, 08:55 PM   #8
RinnyTinTinny
Detroyer Of Worlds

ooh i saw her...I didnt have a cam at the time otherwise i woulda gotten a pic she was so cute ^.^

Planned:
-Lil Washu [Progress: 10%]
RinnyTinTinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2005, 10:58 PM   #9
SongofAmazon
Sing me Mercury

How adorable! There weren't nearly enough tiny cosplayers there. ^^

Quote:
I can't believe that Anthy and Utena did not (IIRC) win anything, for example. Those were awesome costumes!
All of the utena cosplayers were awesome. *curious* which group are you referring to? The larger group were absolutely fun people to talk to, I had fun chatting with the Utena and the wakaba... who was absolutely adorable. The tackle was great on stage. The Armored ones were jaw-dropping awesome. ^^

Costumes for this Season:
Subaru - .hack//SIGN
Crystal - Pokemon
Li Kohran - Sakura Taisen
Eirote - Scrapped Princess
Sarasa - Basara
SongofAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2005, 11:49 PM   #10
Animeniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongofAmazon
All of the utena cosplayers were awesome. *curious* which group are you referring to? The larger group were absolutely fun people to talk to, I had fun chatting with the Utena and the wakaba... who was absolutely adorable. The tackle was great on stage. The Armored ones were jaw-dropping awesome. ^^
I was talking specifically about the armored ones. Wow.

Were there any other young children dressed up? I did see an infant in a Chinese outfit with a long black braid on the cap, but that was about it.

Guess there aren't a whole lot of kids out there who beg for a Lina Inverse costume for Halloween, huh? We decided to go to Anime Detour last year because it would give us a chance to show off that outfit to people who would say, "Lina Inverse!" instead of "Great costume...now, who are you supposed to be?"
Unread 03-15-2005, 09:43 AM   #11
grandis
Buried Alive in Gold Trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animeniac
I was talking specifically about the armored ones. Wow.

Were there any other young children dressed up? I did see an infant in a Chinese outfit with a long black braid on the cap, but that was about it.

Guess there aren't a whole lot of kids out there who beg for a Lina Inverse costume for Halloween, huh? We decided to go to Anime Detour last year because it would give us a chance to show off that outfit to people who would say, "Lina Inverse!" instead of "Great costume...now, who are you supposed to be?"
Hey, thanks. AA and I were sort of disappointed that they didn't take anything either. We worked really hard on those, especially AA who came out to my house and armored nonstop for a week.

But you know, it's made me decide not to accept awards anymore. Fan appreciation means much more to me than an arbitrary judge's decision, and competing in cosplay somehow diminishes the artistic expression of all the costumers there. I've decided to support art, not prizes.

I so appreciate the appreciation though. That's what it's all about.

And I have a picture of your little girl dressed as Lina, as well as Merle. Too cute!

Grandis

Beauxbatons Original Design from Harry Potter: Goblet of Fire: 30 percent
Sparklypoo Hogwarts Uniform from Harry Potter Universe: 20 percent
Spoor from Crest of Stars: 0 percent
grandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2005, 02:34 PM   #12
DeadLegato
Homicidal Perky Goth

The main forums aren't coming back anytime soon. I don't know why, and if I did, I probably wouldn't be allowed to actually tell you.
DeadLegato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2005, 05:55 PM   #13
Zell dincht
The Magical Fanboy

so deadlegato you work inAd staff? eh, exactly what is masq? like i know what the full word is but like ya'know.
Unread 03-15-2005, 07:49 PM   #14
treasure_chan
Shower time! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadLegato
The main forums aren't coming back anytime soon. I don't know why, and if I did, I probably wouldn't be allowed to actually tell you.
Erm, weird.
treasure_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2005, 08:26 PM   #15
Sorra
reach out to the truth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadLegato
You know that sounds really suspicous, dont you?