Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 03-21-2005, 10:27 AM   #1
Crimson Tears
Master Story Creator

Exclamation Help finding a bullet proof vest

Hey everyone,

I need your help, I'll be cosplaying as an orginal character from an anime which I am creating at Anime Boston (for thoes of you who will be going I'll be releasing more details at AB be sure to catch my How to Make Anime Panel ^_^) But I'm having a diffeculty finding one key piece of my cosplay costume. So that's where all of you can help me out.

I'm looking for a bullet proof vest with a blank back. It doesn't have to have the balistic plates, all I need is the carrier. And the back has to be relativly free of straps and stuff, I'm gonna be stiching a large symbol on the back.

I'd like to buy it at a store in the Boston area rather then online but if it comes down to it I will buy it online. But please only post links which you know are trust worthy, no Bob's Shack O'Clothy things ^_^

So in short, I'm looking for a: Bullet proof vest without the balistic plates with a clear backs

Thanks a lot for the help ^_^

-Much love,
Matheus o^_^o

PS) For thoes who are going to Anime Boston 2005 you can check out some details on my How to Make Anime Panel by clicking the link below. See ya there ^_^b

http://forums.animeboston.com/dcboar...g_id=667&page=
Crimson Tears is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-21-2005, 11:26 AM   #2
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Problem is, buying factory direct BPV's is illegal. It's the same as buying a policeman's outfit or badge. Though people do sell them, it is illegal. If you're lucky, perhaps you could find a gunshop that isn't necessarily paying attention to the rules that's actively selling them. But I think you're gonna have to make a personal trip rather than finding anything on the internet, especially with the crackdown on the reselling of authentic police outfits lately.

~Well If It Ain't Finally a Question That's Worth Answering~
Mesoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2005, 12:33 PM   #3
Mich
Costume 'Wing-er'

Have a look on eBay for a body protector
Steampunk
Narissa, Disney's Enchanted
Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2005, 12:38 PM   #4
TechieCL
MomoCon HeadStaff

I've heard it is perfectly legal to by some types of ballistic armor. However there's pretty strict laws that govern where and when you can legally wear it. Had a conversation with a cop about it when he saw my tactical vest at Megacon and thought it was ballistic rated.

www.galls.com is a security uniform and supply company. They do have an online shop. You might be able to find something non-ballistic that will fit your description. They actually have armor plate carriers that aren't actually "bullet proof". There basically vests with slots where you can slid in the ceramic "shock plates". I can't remember if they fit your description though.

You will be paying for high quality though since its some of the best gear, in general, I've ever seen/worn.

MomoCon On Tour get your Fan-Fix between conventions. Photoshoots, dances, and more!
TechieCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2005, 12:49 PM   #5
Celebrimbor
Banned

You'd be better to get a more conventional vest pattern and modify it then to try obtaining even an unarmored real one. To get the illusion of kinetic plate just sew pockets into it and slide in appropriately shaped pieces of wood/foam.
Celebrimbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2005, 11:54 PM   #6
Dark_Tiger
Looks good in stripes

If memory serves, some hardcore paintball players wear low-impact body armor to reduce the sting of getting hit. You might try the paintball shops, see what you can find.

"Dogs are not cosplay progress." ~Michi

Tigereye Productions: Prop commissions and so much more.
Dark_Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2005, 06:21 PM   #7
Buster
Crazy like a fox!

You can get solid black bulletproof vests at military surplus stores, I was actually copnsidering buying one for a while, that is, until I felt how heavy it was. TRUST ME, you don't want a real bulletproof vest, they're 15 to 20 pounds, that doesn't sound to bad, I could barely pick it up with one arm, and I consider myself quite strong for my size (120 lbs). Try making one or using the paintball kind (Although, you'll be hard-pressed to find one of those that doesn't say THOR or some such rubbish in 8-inch leters on the back.
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2005, 10:20 PM   #8
Crimson Tears
Master Story Creator

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster
You can get solid black bulletproof vests at military surplus stores, I was actually copnsidering buying one for a while, that is, until I felt how heavy it was. TRUST ME, you don't want a real bulletproof vest, they're 15 to 20 pounds, that doesn't sound to bad, I could barely pick it up with one arm, and I consider myself quite strong for my size (120 lbs). Try making one or using the paintball kind (Although, you'll be hard-pressed to find one of those that doesn't say THOR or some such rubbish in 8-inch leters on the back.

Actually that's what I did ^_^ Thanks everyone for your suggestions and imput. I actually bought a Bullet proof vest carrier and now I'm in the process of getting a large symbol stiched on the back of it in bright red thread. You can check out my symbol with the link provided in my signature. I'll be cosplaying as a character from an unreleased anime I'm working on. I'll be going as Keon Mikado, be sure to keep an eye out for my costume and my panel (Anime Genesis: How to make your own anime) if you're coming to Anime Boston 2005.

Thanks for all the help everyone ^_^

Calling all Manga-ka/CGI Animators/Voice Actors! Have talent but no place to apply it? Interested in helping out with a group of fans who want to breaking into the industry? E-mail me at Requiem366@gmail.com for more info!
Crimson Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2005, 02:06 PM   #9
Tsumanne
History Nerd

I believe someone already mentioned Galls. That's where I got mine. I didn't like the one I was issued (It couldn't hold a trauma plate) so I bought one from them. IIIA with Steel Trauma plate oh yeah. They may sell the carriers or at least know where to get them. I'm sure someone sells replacements. My issue vest came with a spare carrier so they are out there.

Event Calendar:
Megacon - Florida, USA: March
Bay Area Renaissance Festival - Florida, USA: March
Sun n' Fun International Fly-In and Expo - Florida, USA: April
Comic Market 86 - Tokyo, Japan: August
Tsumanne is offline   Reply With Quote