Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Unread 01-06-2003, 10:10 PM   #1
Xx Lulu xX
Seriously, Im back...

Weight and Dieting?

I was wondering what the "standard" was on losing weight, and what do most concider "crazy" or "abnormal" I mean, I've started a diet to try to lose about 15 lbs for a costume....but I was just wondering if that was too much...is it? Btw..I'm just trying to lose my gut.. ^^; cuz i mean i'm lean and stuff, but its just my gut....^^; and i dont think a Starlight should have her gut hanging out, ya kno?

Unread 01-06-2003, 10:17 PM   #2
Cassandra
Ultimate Catwoman

Muscle weighs more than fat. That number on that scale is very misleading. If you work out more, you'll gain muscle, lose fat but that scale number will go up.

This is the big reason I never weigh myself and I never "diet."
Cassandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2003, 10:19 PM   #3
Xx Lulu xX
Seriously, Im back...

Yeah, I know about that...but....^^;; I dont think my stomach is muscle right now....ahah....
Unread 01-06-2003, 10:30 PM   #4
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

It depends on you, your body type, and what is healthy for you. If you are at all concerned, then you should talk to your doctor before you try losing that much weight - it may not be the healthiest thing for you to do, and that is much more important than any costume.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2003, 10:35 PM   #5
Xx Lulu xX
Seriously, Im back...

Thanx

Koumori..I just have to say...you give out theGreatest!!! tips on Cosplay.com....but My mother is a Nurse, and she knows of me and my cosplaying...and she said i should lose a few pounds, and eat better, and my form would improve more for costuming, but i just didnt want to do anythign without the input of my fellow Cosplayers
Unread 01-06-2003, 10:52 PM   #6
Alisa
Spoony Bard Violinist

exercising and eating right is the best way to go. Everyone should do that everyday. ^_^

"Good lighting fixes everything."
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2003, 10:56 PM   #7
Xx Lulu xX
Seriously, Im back...

^^; I guess your right...I should have been doing that for a long time....but i havent....^^;
Unread 01-06-2003, 10:58 PM   #8
Rethul
It's an extravaganza!

I can give you some advice as alot of my friends are wrestlers and they always have to lose tons of weight. An easy thing is this.

Stop drinking soda of any kind, just replace it with water, or orange juice, you're weight will drop like a stone.

Run, it's simple enough but very healthy in itself. Once you get good at running you actually start to like it.
Rethul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2003, 11:06 PM   #9
Himemiya
AAAHHH INTERFACING

I hate running, I hate water, and I hate dieting... So I do what works for me I eat the same crap, just eat less... say I get a sub, i'll only order half a sub instead of a whole thing. I move around... DDR is my excersize, i try to get in a good 2 hours a week. I dance around in my room to the radio, I bike around when I'm bored... and hey, i lost 20 pounds over the summer like that. Well, and I stopped eating mcdonalds. I worked there, and couldn't eat the food for months x.x;
anyway my point is, do what you like, don't make it work. And if you hate water, poweraid is nice
Himemiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2003, 11:21 PM   #10
Alisa
Spoony Bard Violinist

Quote:
Originally posted by Rethul
I can give you some advice as alot of my friends are wrestlers and they always have to lose tons of weight. An easy thing is this.

Stop drinking soda of any kind, just replace it with water, or orange juice, you're weight will drop like a stone.

Run, it's simple enough but very healthy in itself. Once you get good at running you actually start to like it.
Yes, this is very true. There is no such thing as no pain, no gain, unless you have a good metabolism. I used to despise running. I was intimidated by it, but when I got into high school my childlike metabolism was starting to slow down. I was never really really overweight, but I was getting chubby back then. I was a size 5 in 7th or 8th grade. I had to exercise(I didn't want to be like my siblings) when I got into high school, I learned that I could run, and I kinda like it. Right now I am a size 0 and I also grew about 5 inches taller. Being a track/X-Country freak, it is stressed not to drink carbonated beverages therefore I don't drink them. Oh and you can't get out of drinking water. That is essential for life. There are flavored waters you can drink like I know there are those fruit H2O things. Powerade/Gaterade contains electrolytes that are needed to replenish you AFTER you exercise and has sodium that will get rid of water that you need. That is what they are made for not for drinking casually. Watch your caloric intake. I guess if you really really really really cannot stand water for some odd reason, drink milk, assorted juices, or lemonade try not to drink too much acidic juices though, unless you are on a protein diet. Oh and for exercising stretch a WHOLE lot, it will make you feel better, and prevent any after-soreness(bananas help for this also)

Why:
-It is gas that you are drinking there mixed into a sugar solution.
-it makes your stomach stick out more with gas.
-It affects the way you take in oxygen if you do exercising.
-being a runner for speed it is essential that you be breathing very well, and is a major factor for your will to run. You will be able to exercise longer.
- Oh and caffeine is really bad for you. (most sodas, coffee, and tea) If you really want a little bit of soda at times, drink diet non-caffenated soda. The Non-caff. Moutain Dew and Sierra Mist aren't bad from what I tried. Too many people are replacing water with soda.

Start off your exercise moderately, but you have to keep in mind that you have to push yourself, and CONSTANTLY remind yourself why you are doing the exercises. The more you exercise, the more goodies you get to eat. (Ice Cream! Chocolate! ^_^)

But yeah water is essential. If you don't like running, to lose fat. Anything that is a quick aerobic type activity will do it, heck even jumping around like a maniac will do it(ddr with some jumping jacks? Lift those legs).

Last edited by Alisa : 01-07-2003 at 09:16 AM.
Unread 01-06-2003, 11:31 PM   #11
Miyu
Laurasaur!

if you wanna lose weight it's simple: stop eating so much. Stop snacking altogether. Eat three meals a day, and only eat until you feel %80 full (like the okinawans do). drink tons of water. Excersize.

I guarantee if you do that you'll FEEL better and look better too.
Miyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2003, 11:37 PM   #12
Alisa
Spoony Bard Violinist

In your starlight costume, be moderate with water, for remember what goes in your stomach makes your stomach expand. If you want a really flat tummy, watch your intake. <--Only for day of showcasing your costume.

Oh don't forget plenty of crunches(crunches better than sit-ups better for back) to define those abs. You can also get those ab roller thingys. I keep on updating my replies, for I keep leaving stuff out.
I think I am about done making myself sound anorexic now. I am not, anorexic people can't run 10 miles.(heck yeah) I am just putting out something and you can go in the general direction. Start off by doing what Miyu said.

"Good lighting fixes everything."

Last edited by Alisa : 01-07-2003 at 09:11 AM.
Unread 01-07-2003, 12:12 AM   #13
Vinya

Yaaash! Wow! You people really know how to diet! With these excellent instructions, maybe I'll actually lose some weight too! Thanks minna! (Even if I was no part of the actual thread. ^_^)
Unread 01-07-2003, 12:16 AM   #14
Alaria
Arrowed!!

if u want to specifically target ur stomach,then specifically using weight machines or doing crunches that target toning the abdominal muscles AND doing aerobic workout will help improve ur metabolism and actually start burning fat so that the toned muscles actually show ^__^
Unread 01-07-2003, 12:17 AM   #15
TheLoneWolf
The Beast From The East

My personal tip,which IS a little over,but I personally LOVE IT:
Fasting.
Wake up at 5 am or so have a hearty breakfast,go back to bed,and the next meal you eat should be around 7 pm.Eat NOTHING in between but go for water.A week does wonders!
TheLoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote