Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Final Fantasy / Kingdom Hearts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-25-2005, 06:16 PM   #1
MistressAria

Making a classic White Mage robe

Well, the classic white mage robe (you know, the white robe with the hood and the red triangular pattern) is very simple to make, or so it seems.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions on how to go about making one? Or, does anyone know of an online store that sells one? Any ideas on the subject are greatly appreciated.

Unread 03-25-2005, 07:14 PM   #2
*Shiva*
RED SOX FTW <3

Although it might be pretty easy to find someone willing to make you a robe online, especially with all the Harry Potter costumers out there, robes are relatively simple to do, and getting in the habit of making your own costumes is more economical and creatively rewarding in the end.

That said, classic mage robes are pretty easy because there are a lot of patterns readily available to make them. If I were you, I'd start out by finding a cloak/robe pattern either online or at any store like Walmart or JoAnn's. If you're unsure, find some scrap material to make a "first draft" of your costume (an old bedsheet works great for this kind of thing.) Once you feel confidant, you can use your final white fabric. The triangles can then be either be sewn on using red fabric or painted on with fabric paint.

The great thing about FF1 costumes is that they leave a lot up for interpretation - my main advice is have fun with it - do whatever you want! You could go fcor the classic robe or make the robe shorter, use a cloak and a white dress, etc. You have plenty of options with those 8-bit sprites.

Good luck!

2014 EVENTS: Katsucon, Anime Boston, PortCon Maine, Dragon*Con

Last edited by *Shiva* : 03-25-2005 at 07:17 PM.
Unread 03-25-2005, 09:25 PM   #3
MistressAria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaBlizzard8
Although it might be pretty easy to find someone willing to make you a robe online, especially with all the Harry Potter costumers out there, robes are relatively simple to do, and getting in the habit of making your own costumes is more economical and creatively rewarding in the end.

That said, classic mage robes are pretty easy because there are a lot of patterns readily available to make them. If I were you, I'd start out by finding a cloak/robe pattern either online or at any store like Walmart or JoAnn's. If you're unsure, find some scrap material to make a "first draft" of your costume (an old bedsheet works great for this kind of thing.) Once you feel confidant, you can use your final white fabric. The triangles can then be either be sewn on using red fabric or painted on with fabric paint.

The great thing about FF1 costumes is that they leave a lot up for interpretation - my main advice is have fun with it - do whatever you want! You could go fcor the classic robe or make the robe shorter, use a cloak and a white dress, etc. You have plenty of options with those 8-bit sprites.

Good luck!
Hehe, awesome, thanks for the tips ^^ I'm a novice sewer, and, I'm not too good, but, I'll see what I can do. Thanks again!
Unread 03-25-2005, 09:36 PM   #4
*Shiva*
RED SOX FTW <3

lol - no problem! Yeah, I still consider myself a novice sewer in that I don't know how to use a machine and make all my costumes by hand >_< but you'd be surprised how far sheer determination can get you!

2014 EVENTS: Katsucon, Anime Boston, PortCon Maine, Dragon*Con