Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Katsucon

Unread 01-07-2003, 06:33 PM   #1
Lady Ava
Costume Designer/Tech

Convincing Parents...

I'm all ready for this con! I have a room, a ride and my cosplay outfits...

There is only one problem.....

MY PARENTS WON'T LET ME GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARG! I wanna go so much! This would be a great way to spend my four day weekend off from school! Leave Friday morning, come back on Sunday....and do my homework on Monday! A perfect plan! But, I must find a way to convince them....

Any Ideas????

"Yen goes in. Toy comes out. That's what capsules are all about!"
-The Capsule Jingle as brought to you by AUSA 2007.
Lady Ava is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-07-2003, 07:30 PM   #2
psythe

What is their main argument against you going right now?
psythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2003, 08:12 PM   #3
Lady Ava
Costume Designer/Tech

That's Katsu is:
A) too far
B) no adults
C) I'd be staying over
D) I would be with Oshi -_-;

Unread 01-07-2003, 08:20 PM   #4
Oshi
Rugged. Like the moon.

they don't like/trust me very much -_-;;

...and there is no reason for them not to, mind you e.e
Oshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2003, 08:44 PM   #5
psythe

Suuuuure Oshi. Suuuuure.

Go talk it over with them. I did that once awhile ago when me and a an old girlfriend wanted to drive a state away to see a show. It worked oddly enough O_o;;

although im not sure of the current relationship between you and teh parentz. just a suggestion ^^v
Unread 01-07-2003, 08:45 PM   #6
Sami
» star*stealing girl

That really really stinks. -_-

My only advice to you would to be mature about it, no matter what. Keep your temper, don't throw tantrums or get exceptionally loud/angry at them, etc. It sounds like they're not treating you as an adult, and maybe if you show them that you are ready for such a huuuuge responsibility ^_-, it'd put their minds at ease a bit.

Overprotective parents are very uncool, I wish you luck! ;_;

sen - ti - ment - has - got - me - feelin'!
Sami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2003, 09:08 PM   #7
Neko Cathy

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Ava
That's Katsu is:
A) too far
B) no adults
C) I'd be staying over
Totally understandable w/ the Oshi part, no offense. One of my group members @ Otakon mostly ditched my group to go neck w/ her bf on saturday. I luckily found her ass, Leilani and I pulled her the side right after the masquerade, talked some things out and foud that her mischevious, perverted bf (I knowhim because I personally dated the sick bastard and he tried seduce me... even when I was taken!) tried to get her in his hotel room that wasn't @ our hotel and I was like.... "FUCK NO!! YOU NOT IN HELL GOING THERE WITH HIM!!!!!!! You came here to be in our group and you're gonna hang w/ us." I didn't exactly tell her that, but Leilani and I made it sound like that to her tht we got her to shut up and stay w/ us. If anything really bad happened to her... Leilani's mom would have been severely held responsible mostly because she's a minor. It's a total liability issue.

Not to say that Oshi is a perverted psycho (i sort of highly doubt he is even though I don't know him well), but you met him on the 'net and parents would freak over sending you over there w/ no adult and w/ a bf... especially w/ someone you met over the 'net who could act completely different on you then he would of had when he was around your parents! It sucks, but parents are like that... I've dealt w/ a similar situation like you have. Shoot, if my parents found out I'm meeting a bunch of people from the Internet, they would not even let me go to Katsucon, 18 or not. My dad would cancel my hotel room instantly.

Well... there is one way you can try to get down there, but I don't know if it will be too late to convience them and get a hotel room- show them how responsible you are and find people you personally know. Even though I will be 18 by the time Katsucon starts, my parents would not allow me in anyway to go to this convention by myself until they got to know my group members and I started showing them how responsible I was by coming home on my curfew, letting them know where I was going and when I'll be home, did housework w/out being told, that sort of thing. This also depends on how old you are too. My parents didn't let me go to Otakon to run around Baltimore, one of the most highest crime rate city in Maryland, by myself w/out an adult... and I was 17.

I sort of lucked out on going to Katsucon w/ friends for 2 reasons:
1. I'm 18 and at a legal age. I've been very responsible of keeping track of my group @ Otakon and even Leiani's mom sort of told them that right when we came back.
2. My dad knows the area VERY well since he works for Fairfax Co. Fire rescue. If anybody fucks w/ me on his territory, like I said before, he/she not only has to deal w/ the Fairfax Co. Cops but also my 2nd daddys from stations 1 and 14.
Neko Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2003, 09:52 PM   #8
Sciguy
Agent R

Keep your cool and try to get your parents to through the tantrum. In my experience, honorable parents will keep their word in most circumstances. If you can get them agitated, yet stay calm, you might be able to trick them into giving you permission.

That failing, just try to have an adult conversation with your parents. Be respectful and kiss up a bit. See if you can dig up some dirt on them or find someway to use their words against them. If all else fails, try a viual aid like a slideshow (j/k)

Luckily, my mom is very easily manipulated. We were going to leave for Katsu at 2PM and I'd go to school that day, but I managed to trick her into letting me off of school that day to get there sometime around 10-11 AM. Plus the fact that by her own admission, and a scientific test, I am a fair deal more intellegent than my mother. Perhaps that's why I usually win our arguments.
Sciguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2003, 10:30 PM   #9
dizzylizzy
I sew things

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Ava
That's Katsu is:
A) too far
B) no adults
C) I'd be staying over
as much as i love you cat..... i understand if it's all those things.
a. too far.... well, it's not in nj. : )
b. no adults..... psssht kids these days. no adults means to parents: sex, drugs, drinking, and and all out orgy. lol... just name the time and place. ::wink::: J/K!!! anyhow... i'm an adult. i'm verrrrrrry sound in my life, i don't drink, do drugs, have orgies, i watch my $$, in charge of 30 16-18 yr old kids at friendly's, i mean come on.... i live with brandon... if i can handle him... i can handle anyone. : )
c. and d. staying over and oshi.... back to the whole orgy thing. ::wink:: my parents didn't like me being in the same room with my bf when i was your age. it's rough. it really is. hell, i lied to them about me actually rooming with my bf. but, i'm not saying you should do that.

in alllllllll seriousness cat, i know your parents don't know me but if they need an adult.... i'm here. i'm known around here to be quite reliable. :::lizzy wonders about how she spelled reliable!::

anyhow! yeah... ummmm.... what to do? DON'T bother them about it. DON'T bother them about oshi. DO good in school. DO try to help out your parents without asking anything in return. if they yell at you, just take it all in and don't say anything to counderpoint evene though you may be in the right. it's a tough situation and i know it's been rough. just day take one day at a time. : )

i luvz ya!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dizzy...49665061805445
dizzylizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2003, 10:54 PM   #10
krystal1314
Cheesemists

Be SURE to catch them in a REALLY REALLY good mood... That worked with my Dad, lol ^_^ That, and be more helpful around the house, don't get them angry, and get good grades!
krystal1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2003, 01:01 AM   #11
Oshi
Rugged. Like the moon.

Quote:
Originally posted by Neko Cathy
Not to say that Oshi is a perverted psycho (i sort of highly doubt he is even though I don't know him well), but you met him on the 'net and parents would freak over sending you over there w/ no adult and w/ a bf... especially w/ someone you met over the 'net who could act completely different on you then he would of had when he was around your parents! It sucks, but parents are like that... I've dealt w/ a similar situation like you have. Shoot, if my parents found out I'm meeting a bunch of people from the Internet, they would not even let me go to Katsucon, 18 or not. My dad would cancel my hotel room instantly.
Actually, we met at AnimeNEXT, in person o_o;
Erm, anyway... no... I'm most definately not a perverse psycho, thank you very much Neko e.e and besides, we now arranged so we're staying in separate rooms, I think... at least, it's possible that we can...

Now, I am a legal adult, and very responsible; I mean, I'm going to cons 5, 6 hours away, and come back alive. I don't drink, smoke, or do anything like that. I'm perfectly clean. And I'm completely willing to be held libel for any problems that may arise. but noo, i'm her boyfriend, I can't possibly be a decent chaperone... bah...
God, it feels like I just have this aura of distrust around me... And I find that very offensive and insulting... i swear I'm like the most well mannered, shy and trustworthy guy you'll ever meet T_T

Well, I guess I'm an unavoidable part of the problem... *sigh*
As is distance...
Why does it feel like I'm not going to Katsu this year... heh...
Oshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2003, 08:59 AM   #12
Lady Ava
Costume Designer/Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by Sciguy
If all else fails, try a viual aid like a slideshow (j/k)
I have a reasonable presentation for my parents to read and I planned a resonable disscussion w/ them tonight....I hope that I can convince them to let me go. I have never done drugs or and drinkin in my life! The know I can handle myself (9 years of Kendo and karate MUST have taught me SOMETHING!)

As for Oshi...I can keep him in line. And now that Stephuuu is going, I have someone that they know and like ALOT! So, I see it in my future....hopefully...

Unread 01-08-2003, 10:31 AM   #13
Tenshi
Needs more sparkles

I have no more ideas to add, but I just wanted to say good luck! It took months of prodding and convincing before I was allowed to go to Katsu (granted I'm all the way across the country :P), but I was still allowed! If it happened to me it can happen to you ^_^.

Next Up:Mad Hatter Tamaki (Ouran Host Club), Tuxedo Mask (Sera Myu) and Kaitou Sinbad (Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne)
I declare this The Year of Making Epic Jackets
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2003, 11:33 AM   #14
psythe

Good Luck Lady Ava, it would be a shame for you and Oshi to not make it to Katsucon.
Unread 01-08-2003, 11:35 AM   #15
Galaxia
What's-Her-Face

I made my rant about possibly not going to Katsucon either...why do parents always have to ruin everything?!?

Anyway, I hope it works out for you, Lady Ava

Last edited by Galaxia : 01-08-2003 at 10:52 PM.
Galaxia is offline   Reply With Quote