Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Ochiba~Con

Unread 03-30-2005, 08:34 AM   #1
Mekou
Meow~

How much would you pay for professional photos?

Just to note, this isn't 100% confirmed yet BUT it looks highly probable. ^_^

I have asked a teacher of mine to come to NAF and take some shots of our masquerade entries and perhaps other cosplayers.

The catch is this: You will HAVE to pay for it. She's being nice and giving us a big discount, but it's still quite a bit. But, here is just some of what she will be doing.

- backdrop
- studio lighting
- VERY HIGH RESOLUTION PHOTOS (6 megapixels)
- between 10-30 photos (this hasn't been fully discussed yet but ti will be a decent # of photos)
- A CD of all the photos will be mailed out to each person

Don't worry though, we don't plan to charge a lot. But first we want to know how much you are willing to pay for a photoshoot such as this.

Also, keep in mind that if we have a LOT of people who want photos we may have to pay extra for her to stay longer. Right now she will only be there for 4 hours. If she is free during the afternoon, we will have her set up then. But if she has more important events to shoto that day, we will have to settle for having her in the evening (after 4pm basically)

Discuss your feelings, opinions and ideas! =D

Anime North 2013
- Fionna (Adventure Time)
- GT Jade (Homestuck)

--
Con/Event Photos / CosplayLab / DeviantArt / Tumblr
Mekou is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-01-2005, 10:42 PM   #2
archangeli
~ Ich bin da. ~

If she's giving you a CD with full 6mp images of your entire 10-30 image photoshoot, then I'd say that asking $30+ isn't too ridiculous. It would cost about $7 to get an "official" masquerade photo printed out, and that's just one photo.

If you get a CD of your photoshoot you can take the images that you like to a Kodak PictureMaker booth (or to a nice photolab technician ) and get prints made of the images that you want.
Unread 04-02-2005, 12:31 AM   #3
Infini
~

It's a bit hard for me to say without seeing any previous photos done by her, but if I were to come across a professional photo area at a convention I would probably go for it if the price was around $25.

Although, I have a huge problem with posing, so even if the photographer is professional, my photos will still look bad unless I get some input on how to stand. ^^ That's the only reason why I'd be hesitant to pay more.
Infini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2005, 07:26 AM   #4
Mekou
Meow~

>> Although, I have a huge problem with posing, so even if the photographer is professional, my photos will still look bad unless I get some input on how to stand. ^^ That's the only reason why I'd be hesitant to pay more.

I know a lot of people have that "problem" (myself included XD). She doesn't know anything about anime, but we'll have a person or two to direct poses and stuff. =)

Thank you all, keep the input coming! ^_^

Anime North 2013
- Fionna (Adventure Time)
- GT Jade (Homestuck)

--
Con/Event Photos / CosplayLab / DeviantArt / Tumblr
Mekou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2005, 09:13 PM   #5
archangeli
~ Ich bin da. ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infini
Although, I have a huge problem with posing, so even if the photographer is professional, my photos will still look bad unless I get some input on how to stand. ^^ That's the only reason why I'd be hesitant to pay more.
Rule number one for posing - DO SOMETHING! Do something to fill up the frame, don't just stand there...

If you are doing an anime/ manga character I would recommend looking at some of the "poses" that your character does in the artwork and try to imitate them in the mirror. You need to figure out what your body is doing to see what works and doesn't And you can always practice with a friend watching and get their input. Doing some "test" photos at home with a digicam is good too so you can see if something is working or not. Just because it looks good in the mirror doesn't always mean it will translate well onto film. Trust me... I know about bad photos too ....

When I do a photoshoot with my sister I will tell her to lift her head, turn to get the best light and adjust her posture. And since I know how her costume looks I can tell her if something needs to be adjusted (or hidden ).

When I had my Masquerade photo for Toronto Trek the photographer took at least 3 shots of us and was helpful. He let us do whatever "pose" we wanted and he would tell us "look this way, little higher, etc." so that he could get the best possible shot. I bought the TT photo CD for about $15 and was quite happy with it I'm sure Mekou-chan's teacher would be helpful, but as a photographer it's not her job to teach her subjects how to model, right
Unread 04-02-2005, 10:59 PM   #6
Infini
~

The problem is, I'm just a really awkward person. I stand/sit/walk weird. So...even if I try to just 'do something' (which I have tried without any success...), I still end up looking weird. My face really doesn't photograph well, since I'm NOT photogenic at all, regardless of what makeup I've done. I admit that my pictures have improved a little since I started cosplaying (I looked like some kind of whale. Or something), but the posing is really a huge problem. Hopefully I can work on that this year a bit.

I guess it's just that I've been a clumsy, ungainly (and ugly, according to some rude classmates) person for the last 20 years. It's a bit difficult to undo. ^^ Also, at cons most photographers just want to take the picture, and I really need input on how to stand/what looks good on the camera. I don't want to delay them at all, so I usually don't have time to think about what to do.

Yeah... my next major costume involves fully painting my face to hide my unphotogenic skin. Plus, some huge boots that will probably only let me stand one way. >_>

If I come to NAF with a decent costume, and the price of the photoshoots is fairly good, then I'll definitely look into getting one. ^^

Sorry for my off-topic babble. I really do have a huge issue with the way I look on film.
Infini is offline   Reply With Quote