Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-07-2003, 09:55 PM   #1
chibi-dj
Never too old for Dressup

skanky costumes?

what are ur opinions on skanky costumes? my friends and i like to make skanky costumes for fun (not offensive though). Ya know, like cat/bunny girls or female versions of a male character.....

just wondering
Sasuke, Naruto - Retired
Haruko, FLCL - Retired
Yoko, Devil Hunter Yoko - Retired

"Oh come on! He's the son of god! I'll bet if you licked jesus he would taste awesome!!"
~Someone rather witty

chibi-dj is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-07-2003, 10:00 PM   #2
MargauxZ
rox0rz your sox0rz

I'm almost done the female version of your avatar there, chibi!

I think its a great opportunity to show off your own creativity. Anything goes.
MargauxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2003, 10:08 PM   #3
WeissMatsuei89
Ye strange demented one

O.o Weird...you really do that?

"Myuh!"- Tama-chan the hot springs turtle from Love Hina ^^
WeissMatsuei89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2003, 10:11 PM   #4
Troppy
That was... objectionable

It IS possible to make female versions of a male character without looking skanky, you know...
Troppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2003, 10:32 PM   #5
peaseblossom
Admiral Hardass

I've seen a way cute female Spike Speagel. I didn't think it was skanky. I did see a cat-girl at AX02 that looked a little on the skanky side, but that was mainly b/c she just looked kinda trashy and wasn't actually wearing a costume, she just had a tail pinned to her too tight clothes.
Unread 01-08-2003, 12:35 AM   #6
Daitenshi
Elitist since 32 BC

Skanky is all attitude. My moogle costume is kinda skimpy..... but it would be skanky if I acted like an overtly sexual little ho. Which I didn't =P
~Daitenshi~
http://www.daitenshi.com
Daitenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2003, 06:29 AM   #7
ChibiRinoa
Dynamic Duo

i would love to make a female version of Squall, i know its been done, but i wouldnt make it skimpy...no booty shorts or anything...
Unread 01-08-2003, 10:42 AM   #8
chibi-dj
Never too old for Dressup

mmmm...well, the costume i've made is out of laungerie (i probly spelt that wrong >.<) but nothing is revealed and everything is properly covered (i attached a skirt to it ^_^) you see more of me in a bikini then you do in this costume. if everything in modesty is covered, do you think i will have a problem with staff? ( i got yelled at Kastucon because my slit on my devil hunter yhoko costume came up too high)
Sasuke, Naruto - Retired
Haruko, FLCL - Retired
Yoko, Devil Hunter Yoko - Retired

"Oh come on! He's the son of god! I'll bet if you licked jesus he would taste awesome!!"
~Someone rather witty

chibi-dj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2003, 11:24 AM   #9
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

I for one do not like skanky costumes. I will not wear them, and I do not enjoy being subjected to them either. Cons are PG events attended by families and children as well as adults and teenagers.

Hence my probably very unpopular opinion is: your freedom ends where that of the others begins.

You might not mind people walking in their underwear in a public place, but for me and manymany (most?) others, there is only /so much/ of a stranger we want to see. That goes /especially/ for thongs and lingerie.

Ex: the X Karen at Otakon. Karen has a lot of lovely sexy dresses, /why/ go around in /underwear/? Other than to shock people? Wearing underwear on the outside is /so/ 80s anyway.

If you want to be a half-dressed dominatrix, hit fetish clubs, which are adults only, and not conventions where a lot of kids go.

And let it be said, I do not agree with the "I wear it at the pool" theory. Well were I to hit the beaches in France I could go topless. Does that make it ok to hit cons there topless? NO. There is a difference in social setting and comfort level between the beach and a convention.

As for catgirls... since when does being a catgirl have to be skanky? Catgirls can wear clothes too!
Unread 01-08-2003, 04:27 PM   #10
Mink
Fishies!

I agree to a point....some costumes are just TOO revealing, but I have a feeling that the lines that we draw are different Rosiel. However, I see your point as far as children are concerned....on the other hand, children may too be equally tramatized by a scary gothic costume.... I guess people just have to use there best judgement...and thankfully most do.

As far as female verstions of male costumes go I will now HAVE TO make a female spike...I think that is the coolest thing I have ever heard of in my life. *goes planning*
Unread 01-08-2003, 05:01 PM   #11
Dia
time for silver jets

I think there's a fine line between sexy and skanky, personally, and too many people are going for the former but end up the latter. It's usually best not to reveal everything - rather, if you're showing a lot of cleavage, don't also do bikini bottoms or the like. I tried to keep that sort of thing in mind while designing my Femme Sephiroth outfit - I'll be showing cleavage, and, while the skirt is short, it's nothing you wouldn't see everyday, and is by no means terribly skanky.
Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2003, 08:07 PM   #12
cutekawaii
Cos-BUSINESS

I can't say I'm not guilty of doing revealing costumes, but I CAN say that it's all in HOW you wear it. When I wore bikini Moogle I didn't act like I was some sex goddess. I just acted cute, like a moogle. No leaning or bending over or any of that. True, most of the reactions I got were stares and whistles from guys, but, that happens to a lot of girls in just about any kind of costume ^^; And I know I was kid safe because I was taking pics of it in my front yard and my neigbor's kid said, "It's a costume party!! Hi!!!" Too precious.

I agree with Rosiel, for the most part. But her theory can't work in convention situations because no one person can know where -everyone's- morals begin and end. If I think so and so costume is too revealing but the person wearing it doesn't, who's to tell her to take it off? Me? Because -I- think it's too racy? That likely won't happen.

She said she didn't agree with the beach/pool theory, but I think it's a good basis to work off of because, hey, we're not in France, we're in America, and we know what's accepted and allowed and decent. Kids are at the beach. Kids see girls in bikinis, and boys in speedos (x-x). Beaches and pools have certain dress codes, and they aren't that different from convention codes. A convention isn't some fancy formal event. In France, if you can go to the beach topless, go for it. But I doubt that the French let people run around topless at cons. There -is- a difference in those regulations, but in America, what's at the beach and what's at conventions can be the same. If a CON thinks something is too scandelous, the con will deal with it. Personal/individual morals have nothing to do with it. If a parent doesn't want a kid to see skin, well hell, the kid won't be able to go outside or watch TV ever.

Plus, if a parent is letting a child go to an anime convention, you can bet the kid has seen some things, animated or not.

And hey, maybe that Karen at Ota WAS going for the shock factor. People cosplay for a lot of different reasons. She wasn't flashing her boobs, or wearing nipple paint, or wearing bondage gear. She was wearing something on the sexy side. Which is ok by me. Hey, people get underwear catalogs in the mail with much more shocking images. Her outfit hardly caught me off guard.

Last edited by cutekawaii : 01-08-2003 at 08:10 PM.
cutekawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2003, 08:25 PM   #13
Radical Urd
Good to be Back

Whoa too much for little Cierra Seanie but anywho, i'm planning on wearing my Pink costume from Dragon Pink, and i've been told it is skanky.... but honestly i'm going for Pinks effect and if you don't know Dragon Pink is a hentai,so yea it'll be skankified. I'm comfortable and think that it'll all be in good fun. Plus i'll only wear it late at night when most of the kiddies go to bed. I say if you have it flaunt it, fan service is part of anime too, and so is hentai. And I'm damn proud of anime, good and bad. that and i like to feel sexy......
Radical Urd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2003, 08:28 PM   #14
Radical Urd
Good to be Back

cutekawaii I SO agree with you!! RIGHT ON!!
Radical Urd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2003, 08:59 PM   #15
Mei Lan Chang
Its a "shoulder massager"

I think that when you go to a anime convention you need to be prepared to see all sorts of costumes, since there are all sorts of anime. Pokemon and La Blue Girl are both anime, though they may be on opposite sides of the audience spectrum. I have been a longstanding supporter of artististic skin showing. Costumes can be both very beautiful and show skin. I think its wrong to call a costume "skanky" because -holy stars-, it shows more skin than the average outfit. We are all entitled to our costuming preference and I do hope we can be tolerant of those who want to wear their daring costumes at a convention.