Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 11-03-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Did any of your cosplays hurt?

Yesterday I was cosplaying Takato from Digimon Tamers at Kowai 2014 and my head hurted as hell cause my goggles were too tight and since they were hard they let me a mark on the skin over my eyebrow, so I had to semi-remove them each 5 minutes to give my head a rest. I was about to end with a headache.

How about you? Has anything on your cosplays (costume, prop or accesory) ever hurt you?

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 100%
Leo (Barra - Homesport Deluxe (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 50%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
Akunei
~Master of Disguises~

Mhm.
I can easily say that walking around in 4" heels for my Grell Sutcliff cosplay hurt my feet to the point where I couldn't walk without wincing in pain with every step.

Binding (using a small sports bra instead of a binder) has also caused welts on my shoulders when cosplaying three days in a row. It was painful to even look at.

Recently however, I haven't been hurt by my cosplays.

~Haters gonna hate
Haters are everywhere
Haters are mad
Haters are sad
They have nothing to do but waste their time,
And try to start shit with people who try
Ignore them is the best you can do,
And continue to have fun in no matter what you do

Feel free to check out my stuff~!
FB page
Deviantart
Instagram

Akunei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #3
builder396
Crossplayer

My best thing so far is the fact that false breasts can start to seriously itch after a while. It depends how you do them and such and so, but its bearable, but having that 4 days in a row is definitely annoying.

Planned cosplays:
Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid)
Black Rock Shooter (Black Rock Shooter)
Char B1 (Its a TANK, its not from an anime, unless you mean Girls und Panzer)
Eucliwood Hellscythe (Kore wa Zombie desu ka?)

Maybes:
Kaito Kid (Detective Conan/Case Closed and Magic Kaito)
Ayumu Aizawa (Kore was Zombie desu ka?)
Haruhi Suzumiya (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
Shinji Ikari (Neon genesis Evangelion)
builder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #4
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I have realized that over my years of cosplaying, there is no such thing as "free of discomfort/pain". Quorra takes the cake, though ( http://www.cosplay.com/costume/475473/ ). An almost-too-tight wig, torso armour I can't sit in without taking half of it off due to both constricting fit and the hardware on the back, four-inch heels and the boots themselves are tight as heck too, and tight opera gloves under my arm-armour. The first (and last!) time I had it on for 12 hours, I had to take extra-strength tylenol to sleep I was having such bad back and leg aches.
And, I nearly passed out in my elf ranger OC. Layers of cloak, tunic and leather armour (and worst part, my fur-trimmed boots) for the character plus a tight wig. Summer photoshoot, in hot sticky weather, that involved hiking through a conservation area. Put two and two together...
Oh, and Schala from Chrono Trigger. The dress itself is quite comfy. But the WIG? OH GOD. I wear THIS on my head. And this photo was BEFORE I'd added a little more hair to the top of the wig to improve it. http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2935030/ It looks like this on me (goes down to my hips), and it weighs a TON. At least a dozen pins, a large claw clip built into the wig back, and three toupee clips and it still yanks and slips. http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3216129/
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 11-03-2014 at 05:53 PM.
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2014, 05:50 PM   #5
Eldi
Lollipop Boogerpants

I've had wigs with clips in them hurt my head after a while- especially clip on ponytails. I also almost always wear heels with cosplay, I try to get the most comfortable heels possible but my feet still kill me after the end of a con.
Spellthief Lux- League of Legends
Alice in Wonderland

Cosplays in Progress:
Mirai Kuriyama- Beyond the Boundary
Rose Quartz- Steven Universe
Cocoa- Is the Order a Rabbit?
Eldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #6
erana_37
Sew Impressed

Like Eldi, my wigs always seem to hurt too. I always seem to pick very heavy wigs and my Aerith wig was so back heavy that it actually pulled out a big chunk of hair near my forehead last year. I have become slightly better at sewing in wig clips since then, but I still usually wind up with a wig headache! No more hair loss though, so that is a plus

https://www.facebook.com/RecklessAbandonCosplay
erana_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #7
Randommerade
Princess of Heart

Heavy wigs and wigs with tight wig caps get hot and give me a headache. :/
Navi (Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)
Kairi (Kingdom Hearts II)
Planned/WIP Cosplays
Princess Serenity (Sailor Moon Crystal)
Ariel (The Little Mermaid)
Randommerade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2014, 06:45 PM   #8
Angelic_Sabyne
SuperGal in Training!

For me, it's been shoes. The worst offenders have been really flat boots that had no arch support, so any and all force from walking went straight to my knees. The 4" heels I wore once were also pretty bad, but those I could at least kick off and carry if my feet really started hurting.

Facebook
Tumblr
Storenvy Shop

Upcoming 2014 Conventions

Anime Los Angeles
Anime Conji (?)
Fanime
Anime California (?)
Pacific Media Expo

'If at first you don't succeed, pull out the stitches, realign your fabric pieces, and sew it again.'
Angelic_Sabyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2014, 07:03 PM   #9
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randommerade View Post
Heavy wigs and wigs with tight wig caps get hot and give me a headache. :/
I hear you on the tight wig caps. I can't even wear those usual net style wig caps in more than one minute without feeling horrid pressure on my head. Once I even put cotton pads on my forehead where the wig cap was to ease the pressure. It was horrible.
I can only use those wig caps that are made of similar material as stockings lol, those seem to be less painful for some reason. The netting ones just gives me an instant headache....

Gotta hate having a bigger than average head...

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Eren Yeager (casual outfit) - Attack on Titan
Levi (suit) - Attack on Titan

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN Desucon Frostbite (13-15 February 2015)
FRI ???
SAT ???
SUN ???

Last edited by Blood_Sword : 11-03-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #10
StilesJman
<("<) (>")>

My back started hurting this weekend at Comikaze. I had a chest plate and connected back piece that was bulky and difficult to take off, so it made sitting a bit awkward.
Android #17 - DBZ
Cyborg Smoke - Mortal Kombat Annihilation
Boom - Borderlands 2
NCR Veteran Ranger - Fallout: New Vegas
-------Attending This Year-------
Anime Expo
Anime California
Comikaze
Pacific Media Expo...and deciding on more!
StilesJman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #11
Lady Sundae

Fiora: No.
Katarina: No.
Rikku: Boots (after a photo shoot in the sand and sea..)
Ahri: Wig (hat and ears sewed on it badly), heels (12+ cm high), lenses
Soraka (not wear in con): horn(headband too tight), lenses

Currently doing: Slay Belle Katarina, LoL - 51% Shyvana Championship, LoL - 27%
Paused: Officer Vi, LoL

Next project : Ulala from Space Channel 5 part 2.
Lady Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2014, 07:11 PM   #12
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

Several times when I've cosplayed a character with a sash/obi/hakama that wraps several times around my hips/lower back I've ended up with back pains after a long day of walking around.
The worst case was by far in Närcon 2012 (Sweden) when I cosplayed Hajime Saitō from Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan on one of the days. I remember my lower back hurting so badly at one point that I couldn't even stand up anymore because of the pain, and even less so walk. I'm not even exaggerating, it really was that bad; I just went and collapsed in one of the outside chill tents that happened to have an empty couch. It was a saving grace because I couldn't have lied down on the floor/grass with an authentic silk kimono...
I guess re-tying the obi several times during the day (it kept loosening because of the swords that were held by it) and pulling it tight every time somehow pressed on my lower back and made it hurt like no one's business. Easily one of my most painful con experiences, as far as physical costume-related pain is concerned.

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Eren Yeager (casual outfit) - Attack on Titan
Levi (suit) - Attack on Titan

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN Desucon Frostbite (13-15 February 2015)
FRI ???
SAT ???
SUN ???

Last edited by Blood_Sword : 11-04-2014 at 06:50 AM.
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2014, 07:26 PM   #13
KittyAngel
cute little kitty >^.^<

Wink

Like Angelic_Sabyne, my main deal has also been shoes, but of course a lot of has to do with walking around all day. So here are my personal pains that I've experienced with each of my cosplays.

1. My very first cosplay, Lady Kayura from the Ronin Warriors/Samurai Troopers- My main pain was the boots that were purchased. They were very thin, high heel boots. Mind you, I have very little to almost no experiecne wearing much less walking in high heel boots, not to mention thin heel boots. By the end of the 3 days, my feet wanted to practically disattach themselves from me and kill me personally. Yeah, that's how bad they hurt -_-

2. Cyborg 003/Francoise Arnoul from Cyborg 009 (2001 version)- Not to much of aches and pains here. Though I will say this, after holding a Kabbage Patch Kid doll as a prop for hours upon hours does make your arm very very tired. Who would of thought that a Kabbage Patch Kid would do that to you? :/

3. Pride Lands Sora from Kingdom Hearts 2- Again, not too bad of aches and pains, but MAN my thumbs were killing me by the end of the convention. See, I was wearing paws that I made for him and my thumbs served the purpose of holding my Kingdom Keyblade because my other 4 fingers were being the actual paw fingers.

4. My more recent cosplay, Gunner Yuna from Final Fantasy X-2- The hood for some reason made my shoulders ache the whole entire time until I turned in from convention for the night. Idk, maybe the fleece has something to do with it? :/ Let's don't forget the 3 earrings, 2 small and her main big 1, made my poor right earlobe ache like crazy. Try wearing 3 different earrings on 1 ear for hours upon hours. I forgot to mention that because I don't have peirced ears, I had to make them clip on earrings>_<

Um.... nothing major for my Songstress Yuna, but the earrings still a top contender in terms of pain. I really just had 1 or 2 occassional foot cramps with the boots I created. Thankfully, my Sally from Nightmare Before Christmas seems to be the most merciful of them all at the moment, along with my Ryoko from Tenchi Muyo.

If I get to go next year, I get to look forward to my White Mage Yuna. Knowing the routine, my ear's going to kill me, but I just hope nothing too major with it.

Here's one major gurantee in this hobby. When you're at a convention, if you're standing in line, whether it's for the Cosplay Contest or not, outside, either you're freezing your butt off or your sweating like a pig in your cosplays

DeviantArt.com
JapaneseBlossomKitty
KittyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #14
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

I didn't read any replies here, but I can easily assume there is at least one post that I am repeating..Heels..Heels..HEELS!! Saturday (as in 2 days ago from this post) at a con I was wearing my OC, which has about 3 inch heels..Not that great..lol I was glad I was able to endure it though..It hurt like hell, but I'm good at hiding it haha
-Either Hikari (Pokemon Platinum) or Roxanne (Pokemon Omega Ruby)
-Squall Leonhart (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Re/Black ver)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2014, 07:39 PM   #15
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

I've had the too heavy wig problem as well. My Anna wig was so heavy that my neck kept cycling through moments of being okay and then a ton of pain. I ended up changing out of that cosplay super early because I just could not handle it. :/ I also remember wearing a wig(I think it was my first year of cosplaying) where I actually felt physically sick because of the headache I had. Not pleasant. >_>

I've also done the painful shoe thing(multiple times). None of my cosplays themselves have put me in pain but I was dang uncomfortable in a lot of them. (ex Anna, and Saber)

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is online now   Reply With Quote