Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 04-27-2016, 10:13 PM   #1
ginervaginnyp
Sebastian's Bocchan

HELP! I need help creating a cosplay name

Hi all! So I've been in the process up creating new cosplay cards to hand out at conventions with updated info/etc and decided I should create a cosplay name for them, but I can't think of anything!!!

I'm asking for help & suggestions for names. A bit about my cosplay-self is below, and you can look around my costumes/photos on my page for inspiration as well.

Most of my cosplays are animes, but I do have cosplays from Harry Potter, Doctor Who, Star Trek, Downton Abbey, and Disney as well. My anime costumes include- Fruits Basket (Yuki Sohma), Attack on Titan (Mikasa), Noragami (Hiyori), Sailor Moon (Sailor Moon), Black Butler/Kuroshitsuji (Ciel -blue version and green version-, Lizzy- Pink version), and a few I am working on include Sailor Neptune from Sailor Moon, Honey-Senpai from Ouran High School Host Club, and Sebastian and a few new Ciel's from Black Butler.

If anyone could help me think of a name I would greatly appreciate it. My real name is Jen and my username on here is a reference to an old email account.

Thanks in advance!

AwesomeCon DC 2016 & Otakon 2016

I was born to end up alone. -Ciel Phantomhive

Cosplays in Progress- Sailor Neptune (Sailor Moon), Honey-Senpai (Ouran High School Host Club), "Robin" Ciel (Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler), & Yato (Noragami)
ginervaginnyp is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-27-2016, 10:21 PM   #2
StarsOfCassiopeia
Sparkle & Shine!

Puns on your actual name can be fun! I like those a lot, because even as your tastes in shows/games/whatever change, your name is still your name.

I've seen people often reference a particular series in their cosplay name, which can be good or bad. If you're really in love with a series or character, a reference to them can make a good name, but it can be tough to say down the line if you'll still be super attached to the name. (For example, if I were picking a new name for myself around character themes, I might make it a subtle reference to Code Geass-- I've loved the show since it's air date, I've seen it upwards of 9 times all the way through, and despite the fandom being basically dead I always get mega excited meeting other fans. That being said, if I'd picked a name from something like, say, Hetalia or Naruto earlier on, I'd have probably ended up changing it by now).

Are there any other fun gimmicks you do when you cosplay? Do you dance, sing, do magic tricks? Sky's the limit here, but that might be another realm of possibilities to consider!
  • Pyrrha Nikos (RWBY) Ver2: 56% (Weapon Work) Otakon 2016
  • Honoka Kousaka [jester] (Love Live!): 10% (Planning) Otakon 2016
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2016, 10:30 PM   #3
ginervaginnyp
Sebastian's Bocchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsOfCassiopeia View Post
Puns on your actual name can be fun! I like those a lot, because even as your tastes in shows/games/whatever change, your name is still your name.

I've seen people often reference a particular series in their cosplay name, which can be good or bad. If you're really in love with a series or character, a reference to them can make a good name, but it can be tough to say down the line if you'll still be super attached to the name. (For example, if I were picking a new name for myself around character themes, I might make it a subtle reference to Code Geass-- I've loved the show since it's air date, I've seen it upwards of 9 times all the way through, and despite the fandom being basically dead I always get mega excited meeting other fans. That being said, if I'd picked a name from something like, say, Hetalia or Naruto earlier on, I'd have probably ended up changing it by now).

Are there any other fun gimmicks you do when you cosplay? Do you dance, sing, do magic tricks? Sky's the limit here, but that might be another realm of possibilities to consider!
If only my name wasn't so boring, a pun would be great! I don't think I would want to base it off one particular character since I cosplay a variety of them.

Cosplays in Progress- Sailor Neptune (Sailor Moon), Honey-Senpai (Ouran High School Host Club), "Robin" Ciel (Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler), & Yato (Noragami)
Unread 04-27-2016, 10:35 PM   #4
SquidCanCosplay
Fabric Freak

Cool, obscure words that describe or apply to you are always a good place to start. I chose my name, Nevus Cosplay, because 'nevus' is the medical term for a mole and I have a whole bunch on my face and arms.

My Cosplays:
Katara, A:TLA (Finished!)
Drag!Yukio Okumura, Ao no Exorcist (Finished!)
Kaneki Ken, Tokyo Ghoul (Finished!)
Rin Okumura, Blue Exorcist(70%)
Pearl, Steven Universe (Finished!)

Future Cosplays:
Azura/Aqua, Fire Emblem: Fates (Planning)
Negasonic Teenage Warhead, Deadpool (Planning)
SquidCanCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2016, 10:47 PM   #5
ginervaginnyp
Sebastian's Bocchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidCanCosplay View Post
Cool, obscure words that describe or apply to you are always a good place to start. I chose my name, Nevus Cosplay, because 'nevus' is the medical term for a mole and I have a whole bunch on my face and arms.
That is a good idea! Maybe I'll pull out my Celtic dictionary and find a word that pertains to me and use the Celtic/Irish word for it since I'm Irish and the Irish gave me my paleness.

Unread 04-27-2016, 11:18 PM   #6
ginervaginnyp
Sebastian's Bocchan

So I found 2 Irish names that I thought pertained to me-

Braon (Bray-on) which means Tear Drop

and

Finnabair (Finna-bar) which means White Phantom

Which do you like better?

Unread 04-27-2016, 11:32 PM   #7
StarsOfCassiopeia
Sparkle & Shine!

I kinda like Finnabair, but both are pretty cool!
Unread 04-28-2016, 06:38 AM   #8
ilafatyu
That guy

People are way more likely to be comfortable pronouncing Finnabair, even if they're mot doing it correctly. That's important. With my name, until people sound it out, they just see a pile of letters. Causes problems.

facebook page // nh cosplay events
Next event: Free Comic Book Day

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Actively constructing : Cloud, Zexion, Lie Ren
Back burner : Absol gijinka, Soren, Vaati
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2016, 12:12 PM   #9
belligerent
Viking Metal

Of those two I'd go with Finnabair since it seems 1. more pronounceable, 2. you can also play off the last syllable sounding like "bear" for a logo even though that has nothing to do with the meaning (i'm having ideas of the white silhouette of a bear), 3. "Braon" is spelled too much like "Bra On" for me to trust people with it. "Bra On? how bout some BRA OFF"
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, England, Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo, Prussia, Shintaro Midorima, Aragorn
Dudes I will be eventually: Guts, Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2016, 04:25 PM   #10
Alicornia
Magical Girl

I definitely vote for Finnabair as well! Yes, "Bra on" is a little dangerous.

But I don't know if I can be trusted to help with cosplayer names, as my group settled on FunkSoul after listening to too much Fatboy Slim while working on our PMMM lineup... It was a lot better than some of our other options, though... "Bacon Pancake Cosplay. Dank Memes Cosplay..." And so on.
Cosplays: Princess Kraehe (Princess Tutu), Suiseiseki (Rozen Maiden), Lady Ustrina [OC], Emma Sparks [OC] (Guardians of Concordia, personal web-manga), "Misha" Shiina Mikado (Katawa Shoujo), Kurisu (Steins;Gate), Mirei Minami (Pripara), Marik Ishtar (Yugioh), and Junko Enoshima (Danganronpa)
Alicornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2016, 06:58 PM   #11
ilafatyu
That guy

Bacon is a perfectly reasonable element of a cosplay name.

facebook page // nh cosplay events
Next event: Free Comic Book Day

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Actively constructing : Cloud, Zexion, Lie Ren
Back burner : Absol gijinka, Soren, Vaati
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2016, 09:00 PM   #12
ginervaginnyp
Sebastian's Bocchan

Thanks for the suggestions all! I ended up going with Braon since I really liked the meaning of "Tear Drop" and Finnabair was a bit long for the space I had for my cosplay cards. It may end up changing in the future. I put a little blirb on the back of my cards as to how to pronounce it (fun fact, there's plenty of different ways to pronounce it based on which area of Ireland you live in. I think I chose the area my family is from... maybe? lol)

Now to begin practicing my Irish dialect so I can pronounce it without thought at cons!

Unread 04-28-2016, 09:56 PM   #13
Mangochutney
probably a frackpants

I'm...not really sure anybody else is going to be that invested in which non-obvious pronunciation or regional background your public hobbyname hails from. Cosplay and Irish culture nerdery only overlap by coincidence.

You're marketing yourself, with this name. If you want to be easy to remember, make your presentation easy to consume.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2016, 10:11 PM   #14
ginervaginnyp
Sebastian's Bocchan

I'm not worried about how others pronounce it, but for myself, I want to make sure I get it right- lest my great-grandmother come back from the grave to kill me for "disgracing my Irish blood" And she would. lol

Unread 04-29-2016, 10:31 AM   #15
StarsOfCassiopeia
Sparkle & Shine!

As someone with a cosplay name that is on the harder side of pronunciation, I can 100% say there is value in simplicity. Mango is spot on.