Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Cosplaying with a cheap wig

I recently found a bookstore bazaar in my city where they sell wigs for the equivalent to $6.50 and I bought this one for my Izumi cosplay

At first sight it works, it's exactly what I wanted, however... Is there something with this that could go wrong? Also have you cosplayed with good value wigs? What was your experience with them?

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 50%
Leo (Barra / SuperCracks (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 30%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-25-2014, 03:14 PM   #2
MissBeckyRae
Welcome to My World...

I've heard different things. Some people say the cheaper wigs tangle like no tomorrow (although regardless of the price, your wig is going to tangle if it's really long...that's just inevitable) and shed a lot, but other people say it's fine to cosplay with a cheaper wig if you can't afford to get a more realistic looking one. The wig you see me wearing in my profile pic for my Belarus cosplay was about $20 and so far I haven't had any problems with it. I think as long as you take good care of it, you shouldn't have any problems.

Planned Cosplays:
NDK NYE: Bridal!Belarus
Denver Comic Con 2015: Marie Kanker (Ed, Edd, N Eddy)
NDK 2015: Fem!France (Hetalia)
Stocking Anarchy (Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt)
Renge (Ouran High School Host Club)

Dream Cosplays:
Fem!Russia (Hetalia)
Mai Valentine (Yu-Gi-Oh)
Nico Robin (One Piece)
Meroko (Full Moon Wo Sagashite)
Chi (Chobits)
Cheerleader Konata (Lucky Star)
MissBeckyRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2014, 03:18 PM   #3
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

Cheap costume wigs are "you get what you pay for" quality. They are normally shiny, unnatural looking and feel gross to the touch. Also, they tend to photograph poorly.

There are well priced wigs on ebay ($20 range) that are worth the price.
Unread 08-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #4
builder396
Crossplayer

Another good tip about wigs is to take them to a barber. My mom for example is one and she performed a real miracle because my wig was 2 times as long as it needed to be at most places, especially on the forehead and the ponytail. She cut out at least half the hair and made the ponytail actually "explode" a bit like on the character reference pic, although not 100% as violently in all directions. But yeah, barbers can perform miracles with anything that at least looks like hair.

Next Cosplay:
Char B1 (Its a TANK, its not from an anime, unless you mean Girls und Panzer)

Planned cosplays:
Kaito Kid (Detective Conan/Case Closed and Magic Kaito)
builder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2014, 04:02 PM   #5
Sammie

You may want to see if the wig is the right thickness for the character you want to cosplay as. Most of them are fine for hairstyles that don't require much styling. What I have noticed when I bought a wig that was retail price $5 was that I had to be more careful with it than I would with my other wigs due to the fibers being very thin and it seemed to get tangled easier.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2014, 04:57 PM   #6
Cameron1138
Kingslayer

I've used $15-$25ish wigs twice, and both gave me utterly dreadful headaches that made it all but impossible to enjoy the con and didn't look particularly good or realistic anyway. I might've just gotten unlucky though.

In progress: Booker Dewitt (Bioshock Infinite) - 90%; Steampunk'd Han Solo (Star Wars) - 98%; Connor Kenway (Assassin's Creed III) - 30%; Max Rockatansky (Mad Max series) - 35%; Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier (Captain America: TWS) - planning

Future: Mal Reynolds (improved), Jaime Lannister (GoT)
Cameron1138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2014, 09:27 PM   #7
Asa Gohan
Broke College Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokulen22 View Post
Cheap costume wigs are "you get what you pay for" quality. They are normally shiny, unnatural looking and feel gross to the touch. Also, they tend to photograph poorly.

There are well priced wigs on ebay ($20 range) that are worth the price.
I will agree with Mokulen, you get what you pay for. Certain cheap wigs photograph horribly because they are too shiny.

I would suggest using Ebay to find wigs instead (several people have posted about this). I've seen some really nice wigs for cheap on ebay.

Personally, I use Epic Cosplay for all my wigs. I get asked all the time 'Is that your real hair?' even when I'm wearing a pink wig.

I once used a cheap wig for a cosplay. it looked really horrible. The pictures are kind of embarrassing to me. Also nicer wigs are more comfortable.

Good luck!

Animegacon 2014
Otakon Vegas 2015

Duo Maxwell
Kenshin Himura
Pinkie Pie

Next Cosplay: Louise Belcher!
Asa Gohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2014, 09:48 PM   #8
schmemy
shh-meh-mee

I used to get wigs off Ebay, but they were usually too small for my head. I basically only use Arda now. They're a lot more expensive than the general bargain wig, but I'm addicted to how easily styled and lifelike the fibers are, and how comfortably the wig caps fit. For me personally, the cost is worth what I'm getting.

In Progress Cosplays
Override Satsuki (Kill la Kill) | Credits Satsuki (Kill la Kill) | Zuko (Avatar) | Dagger (KSS: Book of Circus)

Anime Weekend Atlanta
Mako Mankanshoku (PJs) | Satsuki Kiryuin (Override) | Satsuki Kiryuin (Credits) | Bertholdt Fubar
Geek Media Expo
Mami Tomoe | Ymir | Bertholdt Fubar | Sonia Nevermind | Satsuki Kiryuin (Override) | Zuko
Shadocon
Zuko | Ymir | Bertholdt Fubar | Rei Ryugazaki | Dagger
schmemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2014, 09:58 PM   #9
Toribelle96
Ze awesome (Nyo)Prussia

I bought an ebay wig, it was way tight, and when I cut it, the wig frizzed dreadfully and was unfixable. I have a friend who bought a cheap wig and it is very thin (I can see the wefts) and looks unnaturally shiny and an unrealistic yellow. I have bought good wigs and my long one was hard to tangle (until when half asleep me and my friends decided to skip in it) and it felt soft, I even had people think my pure white wig was real and my short brown wig feels realistic (my friend held it and I had to stop her from throwing it when she thought it was real)
Unread 08-26-2014, 01:24 AM   #10
Synaster

I've bought a few long wigs on Amazon from TaoBaoPit for less than $20 each. I can't say if they tangle easily because they were pre-curled, but the fibers are soft and kind of heat-resistant. However, my wigs weren't very thick at the crown, so sometimes some fixing is needed to happen to prevent the wig netting from showing.

Also, you can try to remove the shine from the wig with this tutorial
Synaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 05:33 AM   #11
Elycium
Applique ate my soul

Ususally 'costume store' or 'bargain' wigs aren't all that great, for numerous reasons. You can't use heat to style them, they're extra shiny, the fibers tend to get static-y a lot faster than 'nice' wigs, they're too thin, etc. If that wig works for you, that's wonderful.

If you're worried whether or not it will work, try it on and take a couple of photos in differently lit areas. See how it looks with vs without flash. Also, be sure to use an actual wig brush on it, and not a normal brush with plastic bristles (as that just makes the fibers even more static-y)
Unread 08-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #12
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elycium View Post
Ususally 'costume store' or 'bargain' wigs aren't all that great, for numerous reasons. You can't use heat to style them, they're extra shiny, the fibers tend to get static-y a lot faster than 'nice' wigs, they're too thin, etc. If that wig works for you, that's wonderful.

If you're worried whether or not it will work, try it on and take a couple of photos in differently lit areas. See how it looks with vs without flash. Also, be sure to use an actual wig brush on it, and not a normal brush with plastic bristles (as that just makes the fibers even more static-y)
So far it has been working, there's not too much I need to stilize, it's a simple loose long hair, so I guess just a little combing is enough

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 50%
Leo (Barra / SuperCracks (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 30%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 11:50 AM   #13
TitanSlayer000
Eh

They're good for one or two uses, but after that they're pretty much done for unless you put a lot of work into it. Detangling spray and hardcore brushing/combing sometimes work.

Next cosplays:
??????
TitanSlayer000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 12:59 PM   #14
MaiCosplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF6cf_Ly5Ac
MaiCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote