Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 06-30-2015, 11:39 AM   #1
CanHardlyFly

First time wearing large wings to a crowded con, help? Advice?

Hey all. So I recently remade my Morgana(league of legends) wings.

Yay!
http://i.imgur.com/dXQYWyD.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7aK6L1C.jpg

I absolutely love them but how in the heck do people function with wings? Do you usually wait until you get to the con center to put them on? Will it look strange if I walk around just olding them until I have the space to assemble? How can I avoid terrorizing other con goers with my wings/keep them from terrorizing my wings? I had a crappy encounter with my first wings, I had those foam pegasi wings usually paired with mlp cosplays. I accidentally bumped against someone and they called me flutter bitch, I can't imagine what would happen with these>_>

Clubcosplay LA Salute Your Nerd, X-Mutants Unite (May 24th)
Anime Expo 2015

Cosplayer since 2013, I'm a newbie with a burning passion for knowledge and crafting power...
CanHardlyFly is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-30-2015, 12:00 PM   #2
Tiffany_Park

Make sure you have a handler to help you get around and make sure the wings don't bash into people, doors, tables, whatever.

I saw a Sephiroth one year at Sakuracon with a full-sized, fully extended wing. That thing had to be four feet long. She had two handlers to help her navigate. She also took the wing off at times and they helped carry it around.
Tiffany_Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2015, 12:23 PM   #3
ilafatyu
That guy

My friend was just at a convention this weekend. She had tiny wings, maybe a few inches past her shoulders, and she was having a heck of a time navigating. Getting through doors. Sitting down. Going outside, because the wind kept blowing them around.

If possible, only wear them to the event that you were planning on attending with them, whether it's a meetup or a panel or a shoot or whatever. You can't navigate crowded areas with wings that big, even with a pair of handlers helping you out. Well, you could try, but the risk of damage is pretty high even with the help.

facebook page // nh/mass cosplay events
Next event: Otakuten Ball+Dance

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 5%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2015, 03:30 PM   #4
CanHardlyFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilafatyu View Post
My friend was just at a convention this weekend. She had tiny wings, maybe a few inches past her shoulders, and she was having a heck of a time navigating. Getting through doors. Sitting down. Going outside, because the wind kept blowing them around.

If possible, only wear them to the event that you were planning on attending with them, whether it's a meetup or a panel or a shoot or whatever. You can't navigate crowded areas with wings that big, even with a pair of handlers helping you out. Well, you could try, but the risk of damage is pretty high even with the help.
I was going to wear them to a gathering, depending on how well my bf can navigate us I may end up removing the poor things; - ; Thank you both for the tips.

Clubcosplay LA Salute Your Nerd, X-Mutants Unite (May 24th)
Anime Expo 2015

Cosplayer since 2013, I'm a newbie with a burning passion for knowledge and crafting power...
CanHardlyFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2015, 04:14 PM   #5
no-limit
There are No-Limits

I walk sideways with bulk cosplays sometimes XD
Navigators help too or some cosplayers do some fancy collasping wing stuff.

Awesome Morg wings though <3 Im working on Darius's Dunkmaster so ill be sidestepping with the hoop

My work? My plans? Come find: www.facebook.com/No-Limit-Cosplay
NOTE. My Cosplay.com doesnt have all my costumes....im not sure anywhere does, theres 58 and counting!

Come tweet me! https://twitter.com/sophiyami
no-limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2015, 05:40 PM   #6
Royalbakaness
Zombie Unicorn

Practice. That's what I did when I cosplayed Princess Cadance. I wore the wings around my apartment, which was really good practice because my apartment is little and awkward. Doing this helped me to get an idea of how "wide" I really was, so when I got to the con I had an idea of how I could move.
Going sideways through doors is a good idea. Have a friend with you to help you if you need it, especially if you need to take the wings off. It's really hard to do that alone. Also, don't wear them in crowded areas like the dealer's room, artist's alley, and panel rooms. There are just too many bodies and booths and breakable things.
Also, remember not to react the way you normally would without the wings on. For instance, if some calls out to you, don't just swing around. Be very deliberate and careful with your movements.
I was so worried I would knock someone out with my wings or break something or whatever. But it ended up fine. Mine were made of foam and were hence bendable, so I was able to manipulate them at times if need be.
Your wings look awesome, and I'm sure everyone at the con will love your cosplay!
Unread 06-30-2015, 05:54 PM   #7
no-limit
There are No-Limits

Also! Take it slow~ I learned from bulky cosplays, its best to take things slow :3

(I realllyyyyyyy want to do a cosplay with massive wings at some point xD)

My work? My plans? Come find: www.facebook.com/No-Limit-Cosplay
NOTE. My Cosplay.com doesnt have all my costumes....im not sure anywhere does, theres 58 and counting!

Come tweet me! https://twitter.com/sophiyami
no-limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2015, 07:09 PM   #8
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Don't worry about having them in hand before you can get fully assembled. People are used to cosplayers being in pieces and needing to put themselves properly together for photos - props, armor, etc, it's standard practice by now.

DO wear them only in open locations, where you're likely to be just hanging around and taking photos, gatherings, etc. DON'T try to go about your normal con day wearing them. Carrying them or having someone else carry them, you should be okay if you want to drop in on a panel or slip through a narrow hallway, but the bigger you are (in general), the less you're going to be able to functionally do in the costume. Never mind that you might find as you wear them for a longer period of time that it hurts and you don't want them on for that long - that's why impressive costumes like that are saved for gatherings and photo ops and not really worn in the halls for very long.

It's a shame when people are jerks to any cosplayer with protruding parts, even if they weren't really hurt or even inconvenienced, but at the same time, people who go to cons a lot become wary due to people who don't realize they can't wear massive costumes (not just wings) in all the same places they can wear their street clothes. So long as you aren't THAT person, you should be okay.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2015, 09:34 PM   #9
Lex Reckless
Head of the Reckless Crew

I don't know how lightweight yours are but I made a pair that could snap on and off of my harness so that I could remove them if needed. I did have a woman stalk me down just to tell me how my fairy wings had hit her in the face, which made me feel awful. Wings are tough
Mituna ~ Tavros ~ Kanaya ~ Roxy ~ Sollux
\Current Cosplay/
Yuzuki[chobits] ~ Zukko[ATLA] ~ Nymph[Sora no Otoshimono] ~ Heather[Silent Hill 3]
LEADER OF THE RECKLESS CREW
Lex Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 04:09 AM   #10
AnimeAndMusical

Experience: I know a little about this pain, my wings were a little wider than my arm span, it wasn't as crowded as I imagine yours will be but they got in the way a lot.
Tips:
-Be prepared to walk sideways THE WHOLE TIME you wear them, seriously, I thought it would come up, but I spent the whole 6+ hours like that.
-Warn people in your vicinity when possible, no need to yell "Huge wings coming through" or anything, but yeah, most people would rather be warned than hit.
-If possible practise wearing them beforehand or you *will* walk into things, especially walls, because you are not used to taking up so much space.
-Have a friend with you to help you manage them, I had a really awesome friend with me and would not have survived without him.
-Apologise if you do walk into anyone, I know you probably didn't feel that one in your story, but if you do feel it do, it's less likely that people will yell.
-Sitting in wide wings is really awkward, especially if the seat has arms, any time I was sitting, I was sitting on the arm rest.
-If the wings are heavy (mine were) you will need to sit occasionally because it is tiring.
-If your wings aren't heavy, you should still try to sit when possible as it'll generally keep you less likely to walk into someone or be walked into, alternatively, stand against the wall.