Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 09-14-2017, 03:32 PM   #1
Maurishio-kun
17 forever!!

Exclamation Cosplay risks

Which do you think are the worst risks that you can run when doing cosplay? Not only physichal but also social.

The one I've experimented is that when you post your cosplays on Facebook, Twitter and DeviantArt, if you give a very controversial opinion about any topic (no matter if it's political, social, religious or even about entertainment) people who don't agree with you will take your cosplays from your gallery and use them as a weapon to bully you.

Once I opened a thread in DA forums about how 2016 sucked and people started to share my Zoe cosplay pics and started saying: "Look! This opinion is given by a degenerate!" and lots of destroying comments about me , they unvalidated my opinions because of my cosplays about a toipic that had nothing to do with cosplay, I basically had no voice and vote because of my cosplays, after that I decided that I won't upload my cosplays to DeviantArt anymore!

"I have two dreams in my life: Going to Japan and throwing eggs to Jeannie Mai."

Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-14-2017, 03:46 PM   #2
Jigouku Chou
Survival Horror Addict

I think depending on your career, your job could be at risk. If your boss finds a picture of you in a risque cosplay, or any cosplay for that matter, they may react badly. When I started teaching I completely separated my cosplay life from my daily life for that reason.

Physical risks include anything from burns, inhaling toxic fumes, to accidentally permanently disfiguring yourself (PLEASE USE A BINDER KIDS).
Anime Expo 2015 and 2016

::Upcoming Cons::
Nan Desu Kan 2017
Colorado Anime Fest 2018
Anime Expo 2018
Jigouku Chou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2017, 05:06 PM   #3
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

Wow, that's really stupid of them to do that to you. They're the ones being really immature and clearly can't handle things well.
I think you should keep posting your cosplays. Don't let them stop you, because what they're doing is on them not you. I know what they're doing is casting you in a bad light, but you need to able to hold your own and not let them get away. With that said however you might not be able to do much except block or report them (not that it's ok, it is the internet.)
As you said, no matter what you post (you in general) people will not always agree (and agree to disagree is obviously different then what people are doing here).
I don't think you were the one at fault; it's those kinds of people who take things too far and act stupid (to say the least).
I have a friend who is in the same spot sort of, who is also a cosplayer but it has to do with his art not cosplays pics and for the same reason you feel, he doesn't want to post his art on certain sites (dA included).
But as for your question, there are certain risks that come to mind such as hurting yourself for a costume (physically, mentally etc.).
Or knowing full well that the general public will do double takes (I've only had a positive reception to wearing cosplay in public but that's just me).

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too."
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2017, 05:59 PM   #4
Syon
leads the crusade

I don't think what happened to you on the DA forums has anything to do with cosplay in specific, but with more with public forums. You just got trolled. They could also easily picked any other type of art, that you have on your account and comment on that to derail your thread. Don't let that stop you from uploading whatever you want (DA is full of really really bad "artwork", therefore nobody should feel like they have to hold themselves back from adding their own stuff, no matter what objective or subjective quality there is to it).

The only thing I would reconsider is, if you want to engage in that forum activily or not.
Unread 09-16-2017, 08:19 PM   #5
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syon View Post
I don't think what happened to you on the DA forums has anything to do with cosplay in specific, but with more with public forums. You just got trolled. They could also easily picked any other type of art, that you have on your account and comment on that to derail your thread. Don't let that stop you from uploading whatever you want (DA is full of really really bad "artwork", therefore nobody should feel like they have to hold themselves back from adding their own stuff, no matter what objective or subjective quality there is to it).

The only thing I would reconsider is, if you want to engage in that forum activily or not.
This.

For me, it isn't a problem of my boss finding out(heck, I told him upfront I cosplay) it's my clients finding out. That's why my internet name and everything is far apart from my real name. Unless my client is a cosplayer/knows the local community well enough, the chance of them finding me is slim.

~Twitter~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote