Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread Yesterday, 01:02 PM   #1
insideimmortal

covering midriff?

So i want to cosplay from klk as matoi but under no circumstance am I going to show my midriff so Ive been thinking about making the top longer to cover. Im just wondering like how do you all think of covering midriff even if it makes the costume inaccurate? or does anyone have another solution to this problem?

this is matoi ryuko: http://i59.tinypic.com/2s8nxno.jpg
insideimmortal is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread Yesterday, 02:17 PM   #2
Jigouku Chou
Survival Horror Addict

Her midriff showing is kind of her gig, so altering it would be kind of hard. One thing you could do is perhaps wear some sort of nude leotard or something underneath if you're absolutely married to that design. If it's the character you love, there's this outfit, no midriff showing here.

Kingdom Hearts 1: Aerith

NDK 2015:
Rose of Versailles: Oscar Francois de Jarjeyes (Takarazuka ver.)
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt: Panty (Transformation ver.)
Jigouku Chou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 02:36 PM   #3
insideimmortal

sorry must have been bad english on my part, but I'm meaning more or less the perceiving of covering the midriff, Or like: If you saw someone doing that ryuko design, would you judge it more harshly than you would someone wearing a leotard under or having nothing under. (sorry for being confusing lol, thanks alot for your reply tho!)
insideimmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 02:52 PM   #4
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

It's not uncommon to wear a skintoned leotard/tights/bodysuit or such, to alter a flesh-coloured panel onto the costume to make it look like your midriff (or another body part) is showing when it's not actually bare, or to lengthen something to be more modest, for a bunch of reasons (don't want to actually bare it for religious or self-conscious reasons, colder weather, if the character's an unusual skin colour it means less time painting yourself, hiding blotches or scars and such, or smooth out bumps, etc.). I don't think anyone would give you a hard time.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 03:55 PM   #5
Jigouku Chou
Survival Horror Addict

People usually understand. Just do whatever you're comfortable with. What matters most is your comfort. Don't push yourself into wearing a costume you aren't comfortable with, you won't have fun that way. It's definitely not uncommon to see people altering their costumes so people probably won't care one way or another what you do. Just do what suits you best. No one will judge and if they do, they can go kick rocks.
Kingdom Hearts 1: Aerith

NDK 2015:
Rose of Versailles: Oscar Francois de Jarjeyes (Takarazuka ver.)
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt: Panty (Transformation ver.)
Jigouku Chou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 06:55 PM   #6
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Ryuko genderbends usually use longer shirts, also I had a friend who cosplayed Haku from Vocaloid with a longer midriff-covering shirt, so it's OK to wear it longer.

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 100%
Leo (Barra - Homesport Deluxe (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 50%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 09:06 PM   #7
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Making the top longer is completely fine and from what I've seen, completely accepted within the LKL Fandom. I've not yet seen a Ryuko with a longer shirt talked down to for it. And I've seen a lot of longer shirt Ryukos.

Though, the version shown above is a very good way around your problem if you feel strongly about accuracy.
-Peach (Super Smash bros 3DS)
-Gohan (DBZ, Cell Saga, Either SSJ1 or SSJ2)
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 09:39 PM   #8
6types
Naked Molerat

As far as I am aware, no one really looks down on a person for going out of their way to cover a bit of extra skin. Keep in mind, many of the people you will be interacting with at cons are cosplayers themselves who understand the struggle to accomodate personal modesty/shyness with the often skimpy costumes seen on many cartoon characters. We understand your pain and will often think "My goodness, he/she is so clever to have gotten around it that way."
6types is offline   Reply With Quote