Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 09-23-2015, 10:00 PM   #1
Body paint...

Hi guys, so I had my first Cosplay experience recently and it was AWESOME. However, one thing was not so pleasant. The body paint I used caused my skin to get really itchy at times (when I was not distracted by the awesome plays we were doing ). Now, I used the body paint of a friend of a friend of mine, and I haven't had a chance to speak to him about which brand we used. Just to be sure I would hereby like to ask you guys which body paints you would recommend me to use in case I have some kind of allergy or something.
Would help a lot seeing as Im planning to do a lot more cosplay in the (near) future
lolapaolaberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2015, 10:08 PM   #2
I have quite sensitive skin, and I use Kryolan Aqua-colour! Although I haven't used it for my face, my arms seem to be fine!! It's also one of those "top recommended" body paints for cosplay, so I'd recommend that!
Cosplays I'm in the Process of Making/Buying/Compiling:
Maya - Borderlands 2 70%
Ashely - Until Dawn 12%

Planned/Still Deciding:
Tiger Lily - Pan (Roony Mara Ver.)

~~~~Look up at the stars and not at your feet. Be curious - Stephen Hawking~~~~
Cl0udy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2015, 11:08 PM   #3
I've used both Snazaroo and Mehron liquid paints.
Snazaroo is cheaper but its also meant for like carnival-type face paint. It's water-activated and comes off easily, but that means it can also sweat off easier.
Mehron is a bit pricier but it's also higher quality. Still fairly easy to get off with water but I found it lasting longer at the con itself.
Though either will last a good amount of time if sealed properly.
benignthespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2015, 03:56 AM   #4
Awesome! thanks for the tips (though more are always welcome). I'll have a look at the brands you mentioned and go on the internet to see the general opinion about them. thanks!
lolapaolaberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2015, 03:06 PM   #5
Yes, I AM an Albino
I have horrible skin allergies but Kryolan Aquacolor (sealed!!!) lasts all day for my Gamora and doesn't give me a rash. Plus it smells like coconut.
NY Comic Con: '06, '08, '09, '14. '15
AUSA: '07
Otakon: '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14
Zenkaicon: '09
Katsucon: '10, '15
Animenext: '10, '11, '14
division-ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2015, 10:57 PM   #6
Falcon in the Dive
I used Kryolan with no issues when I did Fiona a few years back. No skin irritation, no smudging and no smearing. It was fantastic.
Cosplay 2014:
Princess Bubblegum (Adventure Time)
Marceline (Adventure Time)
Suiguintou (Rozen Maiden)
Twilight Sparkle (Princess - My Little Pony)

Rest to be decided.
ardhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2015, 10:38 AM   #7
saucy condiment
Mehron did right by me. Some colors lighten when they dry; Mehron doesn't do that as much as other brands I've used.
Workin' on:
Tom Petty [Final Fantasy XV] (9%)
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2015, 02:38 PM   #8
I used a Ruby Red body paint and had no problems. I don't believe I have any kind of sensitive skin or anything, but Ruby Red is specifically made with all that in mind so it may be another brand to look at if you need options. I think they're vegan and organic or something, too. Their whole About page is basically nonstop touting of how safe and pure they are.

It did rub off with wear but nothing I wasn't expecting. It was very easy to apply but the color did seem a little thin compared to some of the other brands I've seen pictures of (but haven't used myself). It could have just been the color I got though which was a light purple, and I was wearing a wig so I had constant wear on my face and hairline.
Past Conventions
Radcon-'12 : Akicon-'13 (not returning) : KuroNekoCon-many years ago : Sakuracon-'13, '14, '15 : PAX Prime-'11, '12, '13, '14, '15

Upcoming Conventions
Possibly Rainfurrest 2015
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2015, 04:14 PM   #9
I used Mehron Paradise paints which worked ok. They lasted through the con EXCEPT for wear my arm/elbow creases. It kept coming off that inner part and that was a nightmare :/ Which sucked because everything else stayed perfect looking
cutiepiesensei is offline   Reply With Quote