Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread Yesterday, 08:05 PM   #1
Gatling Von
The No More Hero

Avoiding wearing gang colors in Los Angeles

I have an odd question to ask. I'm hoping to cosplay this character to Wondercon in Los Angeles this year but I have reached the odd conundrum that is his bandana.

A solid red bandana like his is a key indicator to the Bloods gang in Los Angeles and I'm afraid that it can cause problems. Is this something that I should realistically worry about? Truth be told, I'm a bit clueless on the matter. All I know is that I knew someone who was killed by a gang for wearing the wrong team's baseball cap in the wrong area.

Should I just find a close but different color that's not related to gangs such as Purple or Orange? Would maroon be close enough while staying safely away from the symbol?

Unread Yesterday, 09:04 PM   #2
Cameron1138
Kingslayer

I'd just only wear it while in the convention center. Fold it up and put it in your pocket or bag or something.
Done: Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Eleventh Doctor, Captain Levi (SnK), Captain Jack Harkness, Vash the Stampede, The Kid (Bastion), Booker Dewitt, Arno Dorian, Jaime Lannister (S01-04), Connor Kenway, Mad Max, Shay Cormac, Jaime Lannister (S04-05), Otso Berg, Jacob Frye

In progress: Jacob Frye 2.0

Future/considering: Snake/Big Boss (MGS3), Spike Spiegel, Mako (LoK), Poe Dameron, Arno Dorian 2.0, Aldo Raine, General Hux
Cameron1138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 10:07 PM   #3
Kenkaya

You should be fine in the convention center itself and the immediate surrounding area. Staples Center and Nokia Theater are right next to the center so the police have a pretty strong presence there. I've been to both AX and Comikaze multiple times at that location and haven't heard of any major problems with gangs or police.

I'd suggest removing the bandana and stashing it in a bag or pocket if you wander too far from the area. Some parts of Downtown L.A. aren't exactly the safest. Even if you chose to go with a darker maroon color, I'd still remove it away from the con just because face masks/bandanas tend to make people not aware of nearby cons nervous.