Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 05-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
13Kai-Kai
HisokaKurosaki3

Talking Cosplayers with Scars unite!!!

I have heard way too many stories of cosplayers with scars being subjected to rude behavior and comments about their scars. As a cosplayer with a large, life-saving scar, I am saddened by this.....

I hope to offer a place where we can all share our experiences, share our scar stories, and offer each other support!!

I'll start us off:

I have a large scar running between by collarbone and my natural waist, it includes a "second belly-button" to the side of it. My scar is from open-heart surgery, it saved my life, and I would not be here today without this scar. I was born with a defect that nearly killed me.

Anyway, once I lose enough weight so that I am comfortable, I want to cosplay Yoko from Gurren Lagann. One of my exes told me that I'd have to somehow cover my scar to do the cosplay properly... ;.; He really hurt me, I am proud of my scar.

AUSA 2014
Annie (Attack on Titan)
Inukashi (No.6)
Jigglypuff Gijinka
Kairi (KH 1)
Lisanna (Fairy Tail)

Katsucon 2015
Hakuei (Magi)
The Dream (Cardcaptors)
Shizuo (Durarara)
France (Hetalia)
Mr. K (Gravitation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyokun View Post
Plan for the worst, hope for the best, be happy that nothing blew up.
13Kai-Kai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast

I've never heard of this. My wife has several scars, some on her face, from a severe accident when she was 15 and no one's ever mentioned it. My friend Tate has a massive surgery scar down his chest and anytime anyone's seen it they just say it makes him look more bad ass. I dunno. Never heard about this.

'I am a destroyer of worlds!

'I am Harry Fucking Potter!'
dagmarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
YoJ1m80
Sleeping Forest

Kinda reminds me of that one incident about one's skin color and cosplays, but I haven't heard anything about scars. I have have a scar on the right side of my face from an accident that happened years ago and it doesn't bother me. I occasionally get asked about it but if anything like what dagmarus said, it makes me look more badass hahaha. So yeah if it bothers you what others say about your scar(s) then i say forget them, that's their problem, not yours
YoJ1m80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
chibierwin
Tall Little Freak

I'm sorry to hear that someone told you that you had to cover your scars for cosplay. Personally, I don't think it maters at all :3 I have a few scars on my face from when I was a kid and my knees are beat to death due to volleyball (kneepads help to a degree~) and I would never let them get in the way from doing what I love. Just be confident and don't worry about what others say
In Progress: Syaoran: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles/ Yusuke Urameshi (Dark Tournament): Yu Yu Hakusho/ Yoh (Revamp): Shaman King/ Jenos Hazard: Black Cat/ Teito Klein (Mourning Robes): 07-Ghost/ Kaito Sinbad: KKJ
chibierwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #5
Amaya
Ovarian Cancer Survivor

Glad to see you started this thread Just going to copy and paste my story from the other thread:

I was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer and had to have a hysterectomy. It left a rather long and large scar on my stomach from above the umbilicus to below the bikini line. In my opinion, I thought the scar didn't look too bad, so I decided to do a dream cosplay of mine that I had been planning for awhile.

The costume showed quite of bit of my abdominal area, which includes the scar. I had a person approach me and say, "Could you cover up your C-Section please?!
That's disgusting! " Needless to say I was very upset. It wasn't a C-Section, it was a freaking tumor!

To be honest, I really don't care too much about my scar showing, but now I know how mean others can be when it comes to things like this. Due to this experience, I'm almost too afraid to cosplay anymore characters with a visible midriff. It makes me feel uncomfortable knowing that others can see it.

I'm still going to cosplay what I want. In fact, I'm currently making another midriff baring cosplay as we speak. Will I still feel a little uncomfortable? Yes. But I'm going to cosplay what I want and have fun! (with a little extra concealer of course )

As Kai-Kai stated, without this scar I would not be alive!

Please check out my Facebook page!
https://www.facebook.com/nightraincosplay

Cinncinnati Comic Con

Megaman/Bass Crossover (Megaman Battle Network)-0%
Asuka Plugsuit (Evangelion 3.33)- 100%
Black Widow (The Avengers)- 100%
Baby Doll (Sucker Punch)- 60%

Last edited by Amaya : 05-07-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
KillerWhaleCake
puripuripuripuripuri

I have a small scar on the bottom underside of my chin from an accident I had when I was little. You can't really see it though, unless I tilt my head back. I also have a burn on my left ankle that I got when someone accidentally spilled hot tea on me when I was a baby xD. And a long-ish scar on my left thigh from a shard of glass. You can't really see them for any of the cosplays I'm doing now, but if I did do a cosplay that would require me showing the scars, I wouldn't feel self-conscious at all! They're part of who I am, no need to cover that . They could also enhance a cosplay, if the character got into a lot of fights, haha~
Day 2: Nishinoya Yuu (Haikyuu!!)
Day 3: Kisarazu Ryou (Prince of Tennis)

Last edited by KillerWhaleCake : 05-08-2013 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Typo~
KillerWhaleCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #7
TeaForThought
Fragile: Handle with Care

I too have multiple scars from multiple heart surgeries.

And... unfortunately...it has limited my willingness to ever consider cosplays where they might show for the reasons a couple of you have mentioned. I'm insecure enough about myself and my cosplays and I would rather not give anyone else more reasons to criticize me.
TeaForThought is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #8
Khorrupt

I don't have scars from anything as severe as heart surgery, but my knees are absolutely terrible from essentially being a monkey from the ages of 5 - 9, so I try to not do costumes where you can see my knees, and if you do, I'll usually use concealer to cover up the purply-ness or Photoshop it out in later pictures.

Another thing that I hate, and, although it's technically not a scar, it effects a lot of pictures I take at conventions is that I'm tongue-tied, as in, my tongue really doesn't go out further than my bottom lip. I cosplayed Kaoru Hitachiin with another friend who cosplayed Hikaru Hitachiin and whenever we'd try to do their "finger pulling eye down and sticking tongue out" like they do in the anime, it would never fail that the photographer would either stare at me for a minute like they didn't understand why I wasn't sticking my tongue out or they would just rudely ask "Hey, are you going to do the pose or not? Why aren't you sticking your tongue out?"

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart [ Place Je Passe ] (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~Silkie [ Kigurumi ] (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa [ Ice Dress ] (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Regency TARDIS (Doctor Who) - FINISHED
~The Winter Soldier (CA: TWS) - 15% complete
~Princess Peach (Super Mario Bros.) - 0% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 11:27 PM   #9
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

I have a scar from a removal surgery i had when i was 9. Its on my lower right side of my tummy so I am avoiding cosplays that are bare around that area. Also have plenty of needle prick marks from testing my blood sugar and taking insulin shots on my tummy,hands, and arms. One of my dream cosplays to do is Angel Panty who's midriff is showing alot and might show my scar if i just get a pre-made one so Im just making her skirt higher. Being bigger I have strechmarks which are kinda like scars and I don't care if ppl see them..nothing i can do about them.

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #10
Sokmunki
Snow Guardian

I have many, many scars on my arms, legs, and even my face. Some are just from cat attacks, but others... I fight depression all the time, and those other scars are from 18 months ago, when I reached my lowest point. (unfortunately, lately I've been getting a lot worse)
Anyways, I'm actually very hesitant to cosplay anyone with short sleeves or shorts, because of my scars. I'm affraid of being judged.
Even when I'm not cosplaying, I stick to long sleeves and pants. Whenever I wear anything shorter I get teased and stuff, which actually makes me feel worse, thus making my depression worse, thus leading to more scars..
I know, my scars are most definitely not from a life-saving surgery. But they're still there :/

Complete:

Tintin
Belphagor from KHR
11th Doctor
Jack Frost
Sherlock (BBC)
Sokmunki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:00 AM   #11
Suntory_Times
re fanatic

I have multiple scars, three of which are on my face. Not many people notice them however.
Suntory_Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 03:00 AM   #12
BlazeofWar60
lolz

Same here, multiple scars on my face, one from a brutal fight and another from a car accident. Yet no one has made comments about them so far. Honorable mention to the grisly third degree burn scar on my right hand, which prevents it from fully opening up due to contraction. It did catch some people's attention yet I haven't heard any rude remarks yet.

@Amaya: That was really inconsiderate of that person. People who don't go through life-threatening problems like tumors and what not don't understand at all. Besides, I bet that person doesn't even know said C-section is carried out in certain life-threatening circumstances. Is that the way he/she treats survivors of a major operation?

"This world is hell, we were born into hell. That doesn't change the fact that I can find ways to enjoy it."
"It's simply a matter of choice - this world sucks to you because you choose it to be so to you."

Last edited by BlazeofWar60 : 05-08-2013 at 03:08 AM.
BlazeofWar60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 03:17 AM   #13
Blue Leader
The Gundam Fanatic

If anyone gives you a hard time because you have a scar visible in your cosplay, flip them the bird and walk away. They're not even worth the effort to respond to.

I haven't seen any issues with scars at conventions myself... Of course, I haven't really had any insulting experiences with other cosplayers per se.

But I do have a few small scars on my hands that I've collected over the years from just... well... various things. I have scars on both of my knees that I got when I was in the first grade, and I was running, fell and slid along the side walk, and skinned my knees to the bone (I still get the shivers when I think about it). I also have a small scar on my face, though you can't really see it unless you're really close, and I have no idea where it came from... >>;;
Blue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 05:22 AM   #14
Dalibar
Obey Your Master

I personally think scars are awesome >_> Some people just look for anything to make fun of and forget we live in the real world where some people are short, some people are tall, have different body shapes, have different skin colours or hair colours, get freckles, and (god forbid) get scars from being injured in some way.

Though, having said that, I hate the scar on my neck ;_; It cant really be seen unless I tilt my head up, but still. Its from a surgery when I was a baby that saved my life >_< still hate it.
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #15
zeochan
Bucky take the wheel

I have a scar on the side of my forehead from an accident I had when I was 4; and I don't really like to talk about it mostly because when I was growing up some of the kids had always made fun of the reason as to how I got the scar (the scar itself isn't really noticable but its there and they weren't making fun of the actual scar either at least) and they were really insensitive about it. And some people at school apperently brought it up too and I found out about it when I was hanging with one of my friends with some other classmates outside the portable I had class in and one of them asked me about it. She was the only one who was ever able to ask about it nicely.
I also have 2 small scars on my right hand from an IV when I was in the hospital too.

Scarlet Witch (Avengers 2) - Finished!
Black Widow (Captain America 2) - In progress
Winter Soldier (Captain America 2) - On hold

Others:
Black Widow (civilian alternate) - In progress, 20%
Black Widow (civilian alternate #2) - On hold
zeochan is offline   Reply With Quote