Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 03-26-2015, 05:44 PM   #1
Miss Pink

Where do you wear your costumes?

Hi all! So I love making costumes but the only times I get to wear them is May the 4th (Star Wars day) and Halloween. I want to go to a con, but I probably won't be able to until next year at the earliest.

I've done a couple of Star Wars costumes, Rose Tyler, Danielle De Barbarac from Ever After, and those type of costumes, and this year I'm working on my 1870's wardrobe and hopefully getting into more historical costuming this year as well.

So my question to you is, where do you wear your costumes? I've tried really hard trying to find people in Washington (North of Seattle) but can't find anything. I've even tried to form my own group but just couldn't find anyone interested in costuming.

I would be grateful for any thoughts, suggestions, and idea's anyone has.
Miss Pink is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2015, 07:08 PM   #2
Tiffany_Park

Unless you have some kind of group that has get-togethers, I'm afraid your best bet is cons. The Seattle area has a number of them. Emerald City Comic Con, Sakura Con, NorwesCon (sadly, always held on the same weekend as Sakura Con for historical reasons), Akicon (late Oct), and Geek Girl Con (mid Oct) are probably the best known. There's also Steamposium (Sept) for Steampunk and, last year at least, some kind of horror convention.

Not to mention the biggest of them all, PAX, but it's really hard to get tickets for that one.

There are some nearby out of state cons, too (in BC and Oregon), but the ones I listed are all in the Seattle area.

Every so often one of the for-profit traveling conventions shows up. This year is Supernatural.

I know Sakuracon hosts several events through the year, and participates in others that go on during the summer in Chinatown (there's a parade and some kind of costume contest, but I've never attended). You can check their website or facebook page for information about that. If nothing else, you get information about what else is going on around the area.

I should add that you can probably dress up for "Free Comic Book Day" and visit your local comics shop. Almost everything these days seems to have had a comic made, even Star Trek and Star Wars have had comic books.

Oh, another edit: I forgot Anglicon this summer! It's firing up again after a decade, and is going to be Doctor Who themed, but any British related stuff is fair game for it.

Last edited by Tiffany_Park : 03-26-2015 at 07:18 PM. Reason: added Anglicon
Tiffany_Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2015, 11:43 PM   #3
shellysunfish

My friends and I have cosplay parties, and photo shoots.
shellysunfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #4
Tiffany_Park

I thought of a couple more ideas last night. Last year, the EMP/Science Fiction Museum had a Doctor Who event. IIRC, costumes were encouraged. You could check out the Emerald City Androgums facebook page or KBTC's page for any events they might be involved with.

Also, I've seen online that sometimes people go to opening night of certain fannish movies (like Hobbit, Avengers, etc) dressed up as characters from the movie or franchise. Avengers 2 is coming out pretty soon, and there's a new Star Wars movie on the horizon. I suppose Disney movies (like the new Cinderella) would also be a good place to dress up as a Disney character on opening night. I don't usually go to movies on opening night (too crazy for me) so I don't know if it is common in the Seattle area, but it's worth considering. You might coordinate something on facebook to see if there are others who'd like to meet up for something like that.

For "Free Comic Book Day" some of the bigger comics shops might actually coordinate events. You might check with Golden Age Collectables at Pike Place Market to see if they are encouraging costumes or holding any special events.
Unread 03-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #5
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany_Park View Post
There are some nearby out of state cons, too (in BC and Oregon), but the ones I listed are all in the Seattle area.

Vancouver, BC has a LOT of conventions and events throughout the year, and there are a few around Vancouver Island and in the interior as well. So if you have a passport and a place to stay (or can afford a hotel), they're definitely worth checking out. I know there is a LOT of crossover for cosplayers between BC and Washington conventions because we're so close to each other. For a good anime con, I recommend Anime Evolution in July. For general costuming and broader fandoms, like if you want to wear your Ever After cosplay, I recommend Northwest Fan Fest in May.

AE I find has better guests, but NWFF has a better masquerade. They both have good content, but NWFF has more variety because it is a "fandom" convention and encompasses furry, steampunk, sci-fi, etc. etc. as well as anime and gaming. Though AE also has two performances from Distant Worlds this year, which is super awesome.

An alternative to conventions is meet ups. If you know other people in your area who cosplay as well, you can organize meet ups, like picnics, bowling trips, tea parties, anything you can think of. Try poking around the forums or facebook pages of local cons and see if there is anyone who is organizing one, or who is interested in doing so. I know there are a lot of cosplayers in your area, so I'd imagine you'll find someone pretty easily

[C|O|S|P|L|A|Y]
My anti-drug.
Akiyhrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2015, 04:05 PM   #6
WCMorpheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pink View Post
So my question to you is, where do you wear your costumes? I've tried really hard trying to find people in Washington (North of Seattle) but can't find anything. I've even tried to form my own group but just couldn't find anyone interested in costuming.

I would be grateful for any thoughts, suggestions, and idea's anyone has.
I only cosplay at large-scale comic and anime conventions (NYCC, SDCC, ECCC, Wizard World, etc.).

You know Emerald City Comicon (in Seattle) is going on this weekend, right? You don't even really need tickets as you can go to the neighboring Hotels for cosplay. You just won't be able to enter the main exhibit hall in the convention center.

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/westcoastmorpheus
WCMorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2015, 07:56 PM   #7
Miss Pink

Thanks everyone for the comments!

I have one more question for y'all though. About how many times do you wear your costumes? Is it common to you to spend a ton of time, and money, on a costume and only wear it once?
Miss Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2015, 08:21 PM   #8
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pink View Post
Thanks everyone for the comments!

I have one more question for y'all though. About how many times do you wear your costumes? Is it common to you to spend a ton of time, and money, on a costume and only wear it once?
It really depends on the cosplayer (and how many cons they go to in a year), but most people will try to wear something at least several times before retiring it for good. I usually feel bad if I only wear a costume once or twice, especially if I spent more than a pittance on it, but my two longest-lived costumes have spanned three years of wear at a total of six-seven times and two, going into three years, worn ten times with a lot of gradual improvements (counting one day at a con/event as one time) which isn't THAT crazy much considering some cosplayers I know who make a specific costume, usually fancy, their signature and take it to EVERY con for years. And then on the other hand I've also seen cosplayers who seem to just shit money who make all new and often fancy/expensive costumes for every single con they go to, and a whole bunch of cons in a year at that.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2015, 08:32 PM   #9
Ilafatyu
That guy

I've worn a couple costumes just once, but if I had the chance, I'd wear them again. One broke on me, and I don't like it enough to fix it. Another I attracted lots of attention from uncomfortably, uh, affectionate teenage girls and I don't feel like going on that trip again.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2015, 12:47 AM   #10
idleEscapist

the first couple costumes I made, I only wore once, but that's mostly 'cause I hated how unfinished they felt/were. since then, I've tried to wear each new costume I make at least twice before I retire it. I will only not wear a costume again if an important piece (or several!) have fallen apart or were otherwise rendered unusable, and I haven't had the time or motivation to fix them.
Unread 03-28-2015, 12:57 AM   #11
WondererBailey
Bailey's Cosplay

Mainly I wear my cosplays at conventions, though lately I've been making some cosfriends, so I've been able to wear some for little get togethers.

I like having 3 new cosplays when I go to a con, but if I'm not able to finish 3 new ones in time, then I'll wear one of my older ones...depending on the condition.

I'll only ever retire a cosplay if it's beyond repair...or I'll just re-make it if I like it enough to.

2015 Cons: Anime Expo - Kumoricon - Yaoicon

Deviantart - Facebook - Tumblr - World Cosplay - Cosplay Lab - ACParadise
WondererBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2015, 11:19 AM   #12
Cameron1138
Kingslayer

I basically just wear them to cons and Renaissance faires. My town also has an annual zombie run, which I'm hoping to attend while wearing my Mad Max cosplay eventually.

In progress: Connor Kenway - 10%; Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier - 15% (on hold); Mal Reynolds (improved) - 15%

Future/considering: Daryl Dixon, improved Vash, Shay Patrick Cormac, Mako (LoK), Edward Kenway
Cameron1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2015, 04:52 PM   #13
Tiffany_Park

I only wear costumes to cons (1 or 2 per year) and, if I've got one generic enough, for Halloween at work. I tend to wear them 3 or 4 times before I want something new. *G* I never really consider them fully retired, because who knows when I might want to wear one again? Generally, though, 2 or 3 cons and a Halloween, and they're probably done.

I actually get more wear out of a costume than I do out of formal/semi-formal clothes. I've been known to spend a couple hundred dollars on a dress that I wear only once for a special occasion, like a cruise or something. By the time I need a dress like that again, styles have changed. Costumes are way more cost effective. LOL.

Last edited by Tiffany_Park : 03-28-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Unread 03-28-2015, 09:41 PM   #14
1cekream

I tend to wear costumes during conventions, photoshoots and meetups. However, from time to time I also like to put them on at home and do a couple of costest.

For conventions, if the tickets are too expensive, but you still want to go in cosplay, sometimes depending on the convention, you can hang out with people right outside the convention in cosplay. That way, you can wear your costume but yet don't need to pay to get in.
1cekream is offline   Reply With Quote