Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 09-22-2017, 12:59 AM   #1
Alice-kun
Dollars Member

Anyone else feel this way?

This year when I was trying to decide my next cosplays I was so set on one thing: This year I want to be beautiful. I want people to think that I am beautiful in my costume. I just want people to be excited with who I am cosplaying and think that I am good enough to have my picture taken. I just want to know if its bad that I feel this way and if anyone else feels the same?
Alice-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-22-2017, 01:04 AM   #2
RadiantUnicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice-kun View Post
This year when I was trying to decide my next cosplays I was so set on one thing: This year I want to be beautiful. I want people to think that I am beautiful in my costume. I just want people to be excited with who I am cosplaying and think that I am good enough to have my picture taken. I just want to know if its bad that I feel this way and if anyone else feels the same?
Someone finally put that feeling into words!! Yes-I guess it's more so a "I want people to accept my cosplay" kinda thing? As said it's hard to explain, but I'm pretty insecure about my cosplays so whenever I see someone get excited with either my cosplay or the character I'm cosplaying it makes me feel like I fulfilled getting rid this nagging feeling of not being good enough. Then again-it's always nice to know someone appreciates your cosplay and the work put into it
RadiantUnicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2017, 02:38 AM   #3
Respawning

I think we all want to be acknowledged as beautiful, and really feel like we are too, especially with something as personal as our creative expresion. I am currently about 6 months post having a baby, so I too really just want to feel that I look good in my next cosplay.

Completed costumes:Commander Shepard, Steampunk Valkyrie OC, Tiefling Sorcerer OC, Morrigan, Thor, Daenerys Targaryen, Steampunk OC
Future costumes: Aloy, Maleficent, Satyr/Faun OC, Galadriel
Working on: Ciri Witcher 3

Instagram, Facebook, Facebook Group
Respawning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2017, 03:21 AM   #4
Angelx624
Left here but came back!

Yes, I feel that way, too. Or I at least want people to like my cosplays if they're a fan of that character or franchise. I want to be recognized more, especially when I put a lot of hard work into a cosplay.

Yay! (ノ•ω•)ノ

Angelx624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2017, 01:14 PM   #5
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

Quote:
I don't think you're wrong for wanting people to like you, but just remember it's for fun. For me it's a yes and no thing actually.
I don't really go out to cons expecting people to shower me with compliments; however, when I see people who come up to me because they're wanting to see me in particular and they say how great I look, I take that as a compliment within a compliment.
So I guess in way, it does make me feel special.
I think if people come up to you because they like your costume, that should make you feel good and that you're good enough, hence that you are beautiful. Liking how you look in costume when you check yourself in the mirror can boost your mood, and can give you motivation and you're all, "Hey, damn I look good!"

Future plans:
Blue Angel/Aoi Zaizen, Yugioh Vrains

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too."
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2017, 07:07 PM   #6
CapsuleCorp
Future Pirate King

I actually wish more cosplayers would be honest with themselves and admit that they want photos and compliments. I've met far too many who say to your face, "oh no, cosplay is about fun and I'm just here to have fun" but then, privately, whine about not getting enough photos or attention. People need to just own it.

Of course, few take the next step to ask themselves why they're not getting the attention they crave, but that's a whole other box of crayons to open up.

I've always been totally up front that I'm wearing a costume to get photographed. If I didn't want the attention, I'd be wearing a t-shirt. It's way more comfortable.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2017, 07:19 PM   #7
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
I actually wish more cosplayers would be honest with themselves and admit that they want photos and compliments. I've met far too many who say to your face, "oh no, cosplay is about fun and I'm just here to have fun" but then, privately, whine about not getting enough photos or attention. People need to just own it.

Of course, few take the next step to ask themselves why they're not getting the attention they crave, but that's a whole other box of crayons to open up.

I've always been totally up front that I'm wearing a costume to get photographed. If I didn't want the attention, I'd be wearing a t-shirt. It's way more comfortable.
Exactly! I'm pretty open that want photos of myself. The thing is, to some people like myself, getting photos back of your cosplays IS part of the fun. As someone that's been doing things that revolve around the performing arts (mostly music), I like the attention. And again, I'm open about that. I wish others would be too.

I feel like your last sentence there could not have more truth to it if you tried. So many people say "I don't want attention at all!" but then go out to a con space with the largest most elaborate cosplay you've ever seen. If you seriously do not want to be spoken to or have any attention, you would have gone out of your way to NOT wear something that you KNOW everyone is going to notice.
-Created Character [SAO Hollow Realization]
-Cloud [Dissidia Final Fantasy]
-Red [Pokemon Fire Red]
-Gohan [DBZ]
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2017, 08:19 PM   #8
xIkuna

Yup I feel like it's a pretty common place feeling that maybe isn't talked about often, but I lot of people feel that way I'm sure. It's nice to be dressed in a pretty outfit as a pretty character! Sure cosplay is fun, but I've always had more fun when I'm stopped for pics more often or complimented. Nothing wrong with that

Cosplays:
Young Ana Amari- Overwatch
Miu Iruma- New Danganronpa Version 3
Sansa Stark- Game of Thrones (Season 7)

xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2017, 09:05 PM   #9
lunaflora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jei-Cos View Post
So many people say "I don't want attention at all!" but then go out to a con space with the largest most elaborate cosplay you've ever seen. If you seriously do not want to be spoken to or have any attention, you would have gone out of your way to NOT wear something that you KNOW everyone is going to notice.
I'm inclined to disagree with this. Mostly because I am that person, yet I chose to make and wear the most gaudy, sparkly, rhinestoned costume I could. I did not want attention, I even hesitated to wear it at all, contemplating just leaving it in my closet forever. However, having spent so much time, effort, and money on the costume solely for the love of the making the costume, the show and character, I decided to just do it. What else would all of my efforts would have been for, otherwise? While it was nice to receive the compliments and taps on the shoulder, I have to say it made me very anxious. I probably won't do it again, unless I do. ha
lunaflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2017, 05:31 AM   #10
Syon
leads the crusade

So many people feel like they can't or aren't allowed to admit, that they want attention. Not just with costumes at conventions...but I see so many cosplayers using social media in a way that clearly shows they want attention, but at the same time pretend that its not what it looks like. That they are just in for their self-enjoyment, don't care how many people press the like button, reply and so on. And then they behave like some professional social media manager xD
Unread 09-24-2017, 07:08 AM   #11
Angelx624
Left here but came back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jei-Cos View Post
Exactly! I'm pretty open that want photos of myself. The thing is, to some people like myself, getting photos back of your cosplays IS part of the fun. As someone that's been doing things that revolve around the performing arts (mostly music), I like the attention. And again, I'm open about that. I wish others would be too.

I feel like your last sentence there could not have more truth to it if you tried. So many people say "I don't want attention at all!" but then go out to a con space with the largest most elaborate cosplay you've ever seen. If you seriously do not want to be spoken to or have any attention, you would have gone out of your way to NOT wear something that you KNOW everyone is going to notice.
Thirded. When I put a lot of work into a costume and try my best to make it look great, I definitely want to get noticed! It certainly paid off when I finally finished my Moana cosplay and got a lot of attention from kids when I debuted her! I was so happy to make them smile and it's definitely part of the fun. <3

I also totally agree with cosplays + photos. I love getting photos of my cosplays. I spend a lot of time/money on them, and I love to re-create poses/scenes of each character I cosplay. And I want to look at these photos years later and remember these fun times with these cosplays.

Yay! (ノ•ω•)ノ

Angelx624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2017, 07:25 AM   #12
walkerofdarknes

I'll be the first one to admit that when I'm out in costume, yeah, I WANT the attention. If you want to take a picture of me, if you want to compliment me, go for it. My own reasons for cosplaying are rather simple: 99.95% of the time, I have to be invisible. I'm that faceless person you've seen hundreds of times and ignored. So when I'm in costume, it's my chance to stand out, to shine. And given my menial and boring job, cosplay also lets me indulge my creative drive at my own pace.

That's not to say I'm not going to put something together in an half-assed afternoon's work and demand you encourage me for it. I fully intend to invest the time, money and brainsweat to achieve my goals. And the feeling I got from wearing my Gundam this year made up for most of the stress I had putting it together. So next year, it might get even more elaborate and more fun.
walkerofdarknes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2017, 11:16 AM   #13
belligerent
Viking Metal

I'm already too beautiful to exist so I am personally trying to be less popular and perfect so I can exist in this world again.
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2017, 01:12 PM   #14
Sammie

I do like the positive attention but I had costumes that I wore before and didn't get that much attention but I am ok with that too.
Unread 09-26-2017, 07:36 PM   #15
Sapphirecatgirl

Quote:
It's perfectly fine to feel this way. Coming from an unattractive person, I will also admit I want people to tell me I look beautiful also since I have self esteem and body issues whenever I'm not in cosplay or lolita. Self confidence and being able to forget about the flaws that can't be changed is another reason people may choose to cosplay.

Upcoming or In Progress Costumes
Peridot (Steven Universe)....... 75% Done
Esther Blanchett (Trinity Blood) .............45% Done
Sapphirecatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote