Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 09-18-2015, 03:39 PM   #1
Do your physical features affect which cosplays you pursue?

I've seen a lot of posts in the "Cosplay Suggestions" forum asking for cosplays based on a person's features, hair color, weight, skin color, etc and was wondering if you personally consider your own body (not in terms of confidence but resemblance) when it comes to making a cosplay?

Personally, I never take myself into account. I'm fairly average when it comes to height but have no problem cosplaying a large creautre (such as Groot) or a really small character (such as Rocket Raccoon). Similarly, I never consider hair style or hair color and will leave my hair as is, unless the character has an incredibly unique hair style that is central to the character (such as Princess Leia).
Check out my work at: jacobcosplay.tumblr.com

Current commission: Raygust from "World Trigger"
Personal Project: Kylo Ren and Captain Phasma from "Star Wars"
jdcooper97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2015, 03:50 PM   #2
I do, but mostly when it comes to cosplaying live-action characters. With animated characters I feel like there's a lot of flexibility, but if I'm going to cosplay someone from a live-action source, I feel like it's more recognizable and makes more sense when it's someone I resemble. Unfortunately I don't really have any celebrity doppelgangers, so that makes it a bit more difficult...
World Cosplay
Instagram: @kellyelldanger
AC Paradise
kandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2015, 03:54 PM   #3
Mummy Gnu
I don't personally, no, but all the cosplays I have done or are planning are fully masked and covered - so nobody can tell who I look like anyway

I can see the appeal though of cosplaying someone that you have a striking resemblance to, if they happen to be someone you like anyway - I don't think I particularly look like anybody myself, but I have seen some cosplays where the person was pretty much the character's double
UK based cosplaying mum - our family facebook page : An Implausibility of Gnus
Roo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2015, 04:29 PM   #4
Embroidery Enthusiast
Unless its a massive physical difference (like say, a character is super tall and brawny, I'm short and very out of shape), no. I certainly do not resemble damn near any existing character as it is (to be fair, most don't, but I tend to feel especially self conscious with any live character at how UNlike the actor I will always look...)

Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2015, 08:06 PM   #5
Master level costumer

I change the things I can change (binding, wearing makeup, wigs) and don't give two craps about things I can't (my height). I make the costume fit and flatter me. Never done me wrong.
Founder and President, Madison Area Costuming Society, a chapter of the International Costumer's Guild

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2015, 08:58 PM   #6
I've got too much fabric!
It doesn't, but people instance in it being a factor, always bothers me greatly and sometimes makes me wary of being criticized. I refuse to bind/wear contacts/choose according to body type because that always seems silly and counting your body type into cosplay seems like such a load of phooey.
Cosplays in Progress:

Flannery (Pattern Fussing, Pokemon ORAS)
Kinu (Satsuki, KLK)
Wolf Dad (Planning, Wolf Children)

Booked for Otakon 2016, fingers crossed for Katsucon 2016

Tumblr Facebook
HandsomeCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2015, 09:52 PM   #7
That guy
I will admit that I've shied away from physically larger characters because of my height and build, but in general, I try not to let it bug me. I recently had the thought that maybe I should stop cosplaying Sheik (by far my favorite cosplay) just because I'm so tiny. Then I realized how dumb that was and went back to being short and fantastic.

facebook page // nh/mass cosplay events
Next event: Another Anime Convention

Gaius (Fire Emblem: Awakening) - Constructing
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - Planning
Soren (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) - On hold
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2015, 10:21 PM   #8
When I first started cosplaying 10 years ago, I did believe it was important to select anime characters (both female and male) that I thought sort of matched my facial features, but then I switched to only cosplaying live-action vintage tokusatsu characters which always includes a full-head mask/helmet, so now it doesn't matter at all.
Preserving old-school tokusatsu...one cosplay at a time.
MoonWingSamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2015, 06:47 AM   #9
Otaku Gunso
half elf flame haze
If I went off this notion I wouldn't even be allowed to cosplay xD Though I do fairly well pulling off dudes I tend to have a little more muscle tone then your average anime chick sooo .... Ohhh yea lets not forget that I'm black because that's a thing too.

I can't count how many times I've been recommended to cosplay Yoruichi from bleach which I did when I was 16 but my parents didn't approve of the tight pants and made me wear a skirt over it. Ruined cosplay was ruined >: and I didn't even have access to wigs anyway during that time so meh.
learn to cook with me (:
Otaku Gunso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2015, 08:04 AM   #10
Claims to be a puffin
For a while I did try to look for characters who were physically similar to me, but I've stopped doing that so much now. I still have a tendency to cosplay characters with blue eyes, since I think it makes just resembling them easier (I've tried cosplaying characters with darker eyes in the past and it hasn't worked so well), though I'm not quite so picky about that now either. The only other 'physical feature' I tend to consider a lot when looking for a cosplay is that I really don't mind covering up my right eye with anything, so I'm not uncomfortable cosplaying a character who has an eye patch, a monocle, or just a hairstyle that covers their right eye.

Facebook page

Planned Conventions: Sakura-Con 2016

Planned Cosplays: Masquerade Gakupo (Vocaloid) ; Makoto Tachibana (Free!)

Originally Posted by Angel Tear View Post
If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong!
YuPuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2015, 08:49 AM   #11
I think, some what? More subconsciously. Like, I'm really pale, so I tend not to do characters with darker skin then mine. I'm thin, so I don't think I'd choose someone like Garnet or Amethyst to cosplay? But I don't go out of my way to cosplay people who look like me.
Next Convention: Anime Detour

Scarlet Witch- Avengers: Age of Ultron
Laurel Lance (Black Canary)- Arrow

xIkuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2015, 09:25 AM   #12
Sparkle & Shine!
I'll really only let it sway my decision if I know I want to do something from one series, but then realize I'll probably be a better X character than Y character.
Upcoming Cosplays
  • Sailor Jupiter (Sailor Moon): 6% (Patterning) Katsucon 2016
  • Honoka Kousaka - Uniform (Love Live): 90% (Final Details) Summer 2015
  • Labelle (Animal Crossing New Leaf): 19% (Sewing) AniMore 2016
  • Pyrrha Nikos (RWBY): 28% (Sewing) Katsucon 2016
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2015, 10:44 AM   #13
[Back of a moving truck]
No, not really. I always pick characters based on if I like them or the series they're from,if I don't like either I won't cosplay as them, even if I do resemble them. So no,I don't think my physical appearance affects my cosplay choices. At most it could make me more excited if I realize I look like the character I was already going to cosplay as, but that's about it.

Originally Posted by HandsomeCosplay View Post
I refuse to bind
Oh I'm not the only one! Though the reason I don't is because binding scares the crap out of me and I kinda like my boobs.
''If cosplaying were easy,it'd be called your mom.''

| World Cosplay | Cospix |
|Instagram: @identitycrisiscosplay |

~ I'm a cosplayer with an anxiety disorder ~
-IdentityCrisis- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2015, 11:13 AM   #14
I always try to choose characters whose hair and facial features are at least a little bit similar to my own, because I hate wearing wigs and I want to look as much as possible like my characters. Luckily, I've got kind of a "generic white male video game protagonist" look that works for characters such as various Assassin's Creed protagonists, Booker Dewitt from Bioshock Infinite, and Snake from MGS, and I've also had people tell me I have some resemblance to such various actors as Nathan Fillion, Matt Smith, and Kit Harrington. I also do somewhat take body type into account, but to a lesser extent. I'm tall and thin, and many of the characters I cosplay are noticably more muscular than I, but I wouldn't cosplay someone who's ridiculously buff, or really fat or something.

Like many others here, I also care a lot more about how much I resemble the character I'm cosplaying if they're from something live-action or from a video game with realistically styled graphics (as opposed to anime or overly cartoony styled ones), which happen to be most of the characters I choose. When cosplaying an anime character I still like there to be a tiny bit of resemblance, like approximately the right hair color/style and an overall similar face shape, but I'm much more forgiving when it comes to anime characters than live-action ones.
Done: Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Eleventh Doctor, Captain Levi (SnK), Captain Jack Harkness, Vash the Stampede, The Kid (Bastion), Booker Dewitt, Arno Victor Dorian, Jaime Lannister, Connor Kenway, Mad Max

In progress: Shay Patrick Cormac - 45%; Jacob Frye - 85%; Arno Dorian (alt outfit) - 10%; Jaime Lannister (season 4/5 red jacket) - 95%; Okabe Rintaro - 65%; Otso Berg - planning

Future/considering: Daryl Dixon, improved Vash, Edward Kenway, the Driver, Spike Spiegel, some Snake from MGS

Last edited by Cameron1138 : 09-19-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Cameron1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2015, 04:52 PM   #15
not when it comes to female characters no. but when i look into crossplays it does come into play. There are a lot of male characters i would love to go as but being a skinny pale girl it just doesnt work out for me...for example...Ansem from Kingdom hearts. I want to go as him soooo bad!...but he is a big buff very dark guy. so 1 im not that big, 2 im not buff not even close, and 3 if i try to make myself darker to be tan and ACCURATE for love of the character, i will be called racist and black facing
Futago Cosplay

Western CO Cosplay group

:FaceBook page:

Take a look at our pages!<3
NaughtsApproach is offline   Reply With Quote