Inventory Blowout! Professional quality cosplay wigs 30-40% off with shipping included - Click Here for details

Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 05-21-2017, 04:00 AM   #1
grell titan

how do you act in cosplay

theres a lot of negitive thinking right now on the g.c section so thought this would be fun

how do you act in cosplay ie are you in charecter only in pose or are you in charecter all day

iam in charecter all day if iam taking the time to dress up then iam taking the time to act it out also ive got this tradition where i buy something to do with my charecter ie a plushie or something ( couldnt find doll maker stuff unfortunetly ) what do you guys do cant wait to read youre posts
grell titan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-21-2017, 04:04 AM   #2
Shienra

I only try to be in character for photos or if I somehow get on stage (I only did a catwalk-ish thing so far, but I'll try to enter a contest next time).
Otherwise I'm my dorky self and just there to have fun with my friends c;

Ciri alternative outfit - The Witcher
Merrill - Dragon age 2 (2018)

//Instagram//Facebook(cosplay)//Tumblr//Art Tumblr//
Shienra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2017, 05:38 AM   #3
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

Other than maintaining a general level of appropriate physicality (generally trying to be poised/elegant as a Disney princess, very animated/bubbly as an idol girl, strong/confident as leader type characters), I generally only act when I'm prompted.

Eg, if someone cosplaying from the same fandom acknowledges me and makes it clear that they're interested in chatting, I'll often respond in-character and really go hard for clever/fitting responses. Sometimes I'll initiate too, but never in a way that could be construed as mean or creepy (even if it's fitting for the character, like villains) unless they've somehow indicated that they're familiar with the character's personality.
  • IPRE Robes (The Adventure Zone): 79% (Prop Work) NOVACon 2017
  • Leo (FE: Fates) : ??% (Wig Styling) ????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2017, 06:18 AM   #4
Syon
leads the crusade

Not much. Unless its for photos or someone initiates it. I'm a shy person and usually more interested in getting to know other cosplayers.

Working on: Paletress (50%) + upgrading Jainas staff with lights
Next convention: Gamescom
Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2017, 08:52 AM   #5
hangyaku

Hmm, I tend to pick characters that have similar personality traits as me, at least to some degree, but like others have said, for the most part I only really go into charadcter during photos or for the occasional quick interaction with someone else in the fandom. That or when I'm just joking around with friends XD

~Anime North 2017~
Keith - Voltron: Legendary Defender
Katsuhira Agata - Kiznaiver
hangyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2017, 12:16 PM   #6
Mangochutney
probably a frackpants

I'm only in character for photos and jokes with people I know or who want a little light banter. Otherwise, I'm me. Always.

Which is to say that in cosplay I ball till I fall, and also rock and roll all night and party every day.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2017, 12:46 PM   #7
Maurishio-kun
17 forever!!

I go alone to almost all cons so when no one is taking me a photo I simply don't act XD but I wish I could do it more :/

"I have two dreams in my life: Going to Japan and throwing eggs to Jeannie Mai."

Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2017, 04:14 PM   #8
Jigouku Chou
Survival Horror Addict

I tend to just act like my usual self, just much more self confident. Outside of cosplay I'm quite shy and I find it difficult to approach people, but the level of anonimity I get from cosplay I think gives me the boost I need to be much more friendly and outgoing than I am out of costume.

As for being "in character" I usually try to save that for photographs and meet-ups as I have a very real fear of making people annoyed with me.
Anime Expo 2015 and 2016

::Upcoming Cons::
Nan Desu Kan 2017
Colorado Anime Fest 2018
Anime Expo 2018
Jigouku Chou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2017, 04:58 PM   #9
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

I'm pretty quiet and just act my usual self, even if I do cosplay an out-spoken character. It's not that I dislike conversation, I'm just shy and not a great conversationalist. That said, I do plan to start practicing something similar to the way Disney princesses act, how they go all, in all the time. Being in character in costume is definitely something I admire in cosplayers.

Slapthefatcat Cosplays
Southern Maryland Cosplay (Anyone can join)
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2017, 07:29 PM   #10
MoonWingSamurai

Depends on the event, and I do usually crossplay, so I try to behave as "male" as possible (it's hard to remember to always walk like a guy while in costume!). If I'm at a con and stopped for a photo I'll definitely strike the correct pose. If I'm appearing in something like a parade, I will do my best to stay in character the entire day. However, if anyone speaks to me at a con or elsewhere, I totally drop the character routine (unless the other person wants to act out a little scene or something). I never get into costume or remove it in view of the public. I prefer to maintain the illusion that the character everyone is seeing is "real". You know, like in the Wizard of Oz..."Don't look behind the curtain!"

The definition of cosplay is literally "costume play," so I feel playing the part (on whatever level makes you comfortable) is integral...otherwise you're just walking around in a costume.

Last edited by MoonWingSamurai : 05-21-2017 at 07:41 PM.
MoonWingSamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2017, 07:35 PM   #11
CapsuleCorp
Future Pirate King

like a human being.

I'm not the character, I'm me wearing a costume. That's all there is to it. I don't consider posing like the character for a photo "acting," it's just posing.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2017, 07:58 PM   #12
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

I pretty much act like my normal self; though for fun I act out a line I remember of the character I happen to be, and pose like him/her to get into the swing of things for a quick second but really I'm still me (:

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too."
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2017, 03:32 PM   #13
Blood_Sword
aka Shiro Samurai

I'm my normal self in any costume that I wear, except of course for photos where I pose as the character. I don't really consider it acting though, it's just posing...

I'm actually really awkward if someone comes up to me and expects me to be in character, to be honest. I prefer to be myself at cons (people often want to meet me if they come and talk, not the character) and I only manage to be in character for light jokes with my friends, if even that. So yeah, I'm just me wearing a costume.
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2017, 07:33 AM   #14
gypsy_girl
Fan Girl

depends on my mood. Depends on the character.

Posing for photos I try to be in character.

Interacting with children I try to be in character. My Santa Girl/Christmas Fun costume i wear to Christmas children's parties. They ask if I'm an elf. I tell them I'm too tall for the elf squad. I'm a Santa Girl. I go to different events with Santa and help out. I have to make sure Santa has time to have something to eat. The kids love it.

I try to get into the spirit of the costume, but I'm not super strict. I know some people who are like "Thou shalt not break character!!!!" Well, I'm not in a theatre production. I'm here to have fun. So if I want to squee like a fangirl, I will.

The Thing (1982)
(the missing word was 'imitation')
gypsy_girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2017, 07:02 PM   #15
Cameron1138
Kingslayer

Like my normal self but more assertive and outgoing because I always feel more confident in cosplay.

In progress/planned: Roy Mustang (FMA: Brotherhood), Aldo Raine (Inglourious Basterds), Han Solo (Star Wars Ep V), Tommy Shelby (Peaky Blinders), Steve Rogers (Captain America: TFA), Jonathan Byers (Stranger Things)

Facebook – deviantArt – Instagram
Cameron1138 is offline   Reply With Quote