Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 04-09-2015, 05:46 AM   #1
Jojo-Izumi

Question "Too big" to cosplay? (experiencing prejudice)

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this site (I'll make an introduction soon!) and I'm running a new blog called "Jojo's Bizarre Blog" on blogspot.

My blog will be about a number of things (so I guess you could say it doesn't have a specific purpose), including anime and cosplay.

I may be new to cosplaying, but I have heard there has been a bit of prejudice towards bigger cosplayers and those who are a different race (e.g. an african american girl dressed as a white anime character. I saw a girl dressed as Mami on Tumblr and I thought she looked fantastic!)

A good friend of mine told me that two girls got turned down for a job at an anime store (which I won't name and shame) because one of them was apparently "too big" and another one was "too dark" If you ask me, that doesn't sound right!

So, my question here is this:
Has anyone ever experienced any kind of prejudice from their weight or race whilst cosplaying? If so, what's your story behind this?

I will be putting these stories on my blog, but you don't have to give me your full name (just your first name or username will do!)

Thanks!

-Emily (Jojo)
Jojo-Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2015, 05:56 AM   #2
Syon

I wouldn't call it prejudice. People have opinions about things and other people. Thats life. And because cosplay is part of this life and world, those opinions can be found in a cosplay-context, too. Especially with the rise of popularity cosplay has seen in the past years and the influence of the Internet, we see more nasty opinions being voiced.
So yes, people will comment on bodytype and skincolour and this often doesn't end up nice. But thats nothing new.
Unread 04-09-2015, 07:22 AM   #3
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

Comments on other's general appearance, skin colour, body size, etc., happen ALL the time during conventions.
That's just how that goes.

Sadly, those things happen all the time in the world of cosplaying and I am sure people will have many stories about things that they have experienced and of course, none of it is going to "sound right" because while cosplay is for anyone that is brave enough to dress up in their costumes, people are always going to have opinions and after a certain point you just can't waste energy on letting it bother you.

Tell your friends not to be too discouraged by those comments, working at an anime store doesn't seem like it would be a good or rewarding job anyway.

(I don't have a personal story to tell you on this subject and I hope I never do, but I can certainly give this input!)

*Strawberry Shortcake - Sakizou
*Human!Charlotte the Witch - Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Making props!

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):
*Fawn!stuck Jade Harley - Homestuck, self-made design (Stored for future use)
*Rococo Princess - Sakizou

cσмρℓεтε∂ cσsтυмε(s):

cσηvεηтισηs ι αттεη∂/ωιℓℓ вε αттεη∂ιηg:
*Animazement 2015

Last edited by Milky Bubbles : 04-09-2015 at 07:30 AM.
Milky Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2015, 07:45 AM   #4
Jojo-Izumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Bubbles View Post
Comments on other's general appearance, skin colour, body size, etc., happen ALL the time during conventions.
That's just how that goes.

Sadly, those things happen all the time in the world of cosplaying and I am sure people will have many stories about things that they have experienced and of course, none of it is going to "sound right" because while cosplay is for anyone that is brave enough to dress up in their costumes, people are always going to have opinions and after a certain point you just can't waste energy on letting it bother you.

Tell your friends not to be too discouraged by those comments, working at an anime store doesn't seem like it would be a good or rewarding job anyway.

(I don't have a personal story to tell you on this subject and I hope I never do, but I can certainly give this input!)
Thanks Milky Bubbles, would you mind if I quoted you on my post?
Unread 04-09-2015, 07:49 AM   #5
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo-Izumi View Post
Thanks Milky Bubbles, would you mind if I quoted you on my post?
Sure, that's totally fine, I don't mind at all. o:
Also, if you want to know my first name versus just having my screen name, it is Valencia~

*Strawberry Shortcake - Sakizou
*Human!Charlotte the Witch - Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Making props!

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):
*Fawn!stuck Jade Harley - Homestuck, self-made design (Stored for future use)
*Rococo Princess - Sakizou

cσмρℓεтε∂ cσsтυмε(s):

cσηvεηтισηs ι αттεη∂/ωιℓℓ вε αттεη∂ιηg:
*Animazement 2015

Milky Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2015, 09:45 AM   #6
Ilafatyu
That guy

Weight isn't a protected class under anti-discrimination laws in the US, but race is. I'm pretty sure the store could get sued for that.

facebook // nh cosplay events

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2015, 10:05 AM   #7
Jojo-Izumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
Weight isn't a protected class under anti-discrimination laws in the US, but race is. I'm pretty sure the store could get sued for that.
This shop is in Vegas, and although I don't live in the US myself, I don't think they have that right when it comes to race.
Unread 04-09-2015, 10:26 AM   #8
Ilafatyu
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo-Izumi View Post
This shop is in Vegas, and although I don't live in the US myself, I don't think they have that right when it comes to race.
Since it's protected at a national level, it's not likely that a state would pass a law negating a national law, but for giggles I looked it up:
http://detr.state.nv.us/nerc_pages/t...rimination.htm

It's against the law in Nevada. She could totally sue.

facebook // nh cosplay events

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2015, 12:48 PM   #9
division-ten
Yes, I AM an Albino

Adding on to that- race is a protected class in the U.S. She could sue. She might need proof of some kind to not be counter sued for libel, though- does she have this on record?
Otakon: '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14
Zenkaicon: '09
Katsucon: '10, '15
Animenext: '10, '11, '14
division-ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2015, 12:59 PM   #10
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syon View Post
I wouldn't call it prejudice.
I certainly would.

Quote:
prejudice
[ ˈprejədəs ]

NOUN

noun: prejudice · plural noun: prejudices
1.preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience:
"English prejudice against foreigners"
synonyms: preconceived idea · preconception · prejudgment

•dislike, hostility, or unjust behavior deriving from unfounded opinions:
"accusations of racial prejudice"
synonyms: bigotry · bias · partisanship · partiality · intolerance ·

2.law
harm or injury that results or may result from some action or judgment:
"prejudice resulting from delay in the institution of the proceedings"
synonyms: detriment · harm · damage · injury · hurt · loss

VERB

verb: prejudice · third person present: prejudices · past tense: prejudiced · past participle: prejudiced · present participle: prejudicing
1.give rise to prejudice in (someone); make biased:
"the statement might prejudice the jury"
synonyms: bias · influence · sway · predispose · make biased ·

2.law
cause harm to (a state of affairs):
"delay is likely to prejudice the child's welfare"
synonyms: damage · be detrimental to · be prejudicial to · injure · harm ·