Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 09-28-2016, 05:35 PM   #1
HERO HAIR
HERO HAIR

Eastern Championships of Cosplay NYCC 2016!

Hi everyone,

This is Erin Kennedy Lunsford, Founder of HERO HAIR: Cosplay Wigs for the serious Adventurer.

I just join the forum a couple of days ago and have been seeing some amazing cosplays. My introduction post for some reason has not been approved by the mods yet, but you'll see a few posts engaging you amazing artists of the transformative illusion here since I've been on.

I wanted to share the news direct from the official New York Comic Con site, but I cannot post an image here (?) so I am putting it in my gallery area, to announce that I am one of the official featured Judges for this year's Eastern Championships of Cosplay, and I am looking forward to checking out any of the forum members who might be contestants in a few short days!

Here is the link to the official NYCC site with all the information on the competition...
http://bit.ly/2aNHCJF
I'm also a Cosplayer, my partner is Cosplayer and we have a deep affection for this world we all call home.

Good luck to everyone and keep your passion and this craft going!

Erin
HERO HAIR: Cosplay Wigs for the Serious Adventurer
www.herohair.com
IG @officialherohair

Official JUDGE of the Eastern Championships of Cosplay
New York Comic Con 2016
HERO HAIR is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-30-2016, 05:15 AM   #2
Amanita

I was pleased to note that NYCC has changed their props policy in response to feedback from attendees.
I'm curious- are original characters allowed to take part? I'm also curious about costumes that are a hybrid of crafting methods, for example something that includes a fairly even mix of sewing and armorcraft. When somebody has an outfit like that, how should they choose their category? And does picking one category mean that the parts of your costume that fall outside of it don't carry as much weight in terms of judging? (For example, if you're wearing the aforementioned armor and fabric and you enter as needlework, does the armored part get discounted because it's not sewn?)

The other part I wonder about is the reference thing- I'm totally cool with providing references, but this part gives me pause:
"You may not be eligible for accuracy points if the judges are not familiar enough with your character."
Respectfully, a contestant shouldn't lose points or otherwise be penalized because the judge doesn't know their character. Instead, I'd suggest bringing multiple references, in case the judge isn't familiar with your character. Better to have the extra references and not need them, than to need them and not have.

(I like to do original characters that are the avatars of Skyscrapers- for references, I wouldn't show you screen shots, I'd show you all the architectural elements of the actual building that I worked into the costume- Chrysler Building's art deco eagle's heads transformed into killer shoulder armor, or the details of One Penn Plaza's crown for example)
Unread 09-30-2016, 07:24 AM   #3
jackoshadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERO HAIR View Post
Hi everyone,

This is Erin Kennedy Lunsford, Founder of HERO HAIR: Cosplay Wigs for the serious Adventurer.

I just join the forum a couple of days ago and have been seeing some amazing cosplays. My introduction post for some reason has not been approved by the mods yet, but you'll see a few posts engaging you amazing artists of the transformative illusion here since I've been on.

I wanted to share the news direct from the official New York Comic Con site, but I cannot post an image here (?) so I am putting it in my gallery area, to announce that I am one of the official featured Judges for this year's Eastern Championships of Cosplay, and I am looking forward to checking out any of the forum members who might be contestants in a few short days!

Here is the link to the official NYCC site with all the information on the competition...
http://bit.ly/2aNHCJF
I'm also a Cosplayer, my partner is Cosplayer and we have a deep affection for this world we all call home.

Good luck to everyone and keep your passion and this craft going!

Erin
Congrats on being a judge! Not entering, because I'm just not that skilled, but I'll be cosplaying Marvel and DC characters, and will be in the audience for the championship.
Unread 09-30-2016, 08:42 AM   #4
division-ten
Yes, I AM an Albino

Just so all of you know, the deadline to enter was several weeks ago and finalists were already notified.
Otakon: '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14
Zenkaicon: '09
Katsucon: '10, '15, '16
Animenext: '10, '11, '14
division-ten is offline   Reply With Quote