Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 07-20-2015, 04:56 PM   #1
KittyAngel
cute little kitty >^.^<

Talking Attention All Cosplayers! We're Reconized!

So, here's something that needs to be addressed. It's not a bad thing perse, but I personally am excited about this. For this topic, to each their own opinions. I personally just want a personal take about this with other cosplayers here.

Okay, now, as we all know, we cosplayers have been the ones that would have to either purchase a commercial pattern like Kwik Sew and Simplicity, to name a few, or we were in the challenging task of actually creating our own patterns from scratch. Not the most fun thing in the world in terms of this hobby, but we had to do it sometimes >-<

As I was at my local Hancock Fabrics yesterday, I noticed a cute little girl looking though one of the Simplicity Pattern catelogs and what I found was that there was a Steampunk version of Snow White:

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/sits...w=1500&sh=1500

To me, I thought, how cool is that Well, that was just the beginning. As the little girl turned the page, I IMMEDIATELY saw a Sailor Moon and Reini sewing pattern by Simplicity Here's the pattern:

https://img1.etsystatic.com/066/0/90...20539_jrjm.jpg

So, to my surprise, I also found a Doctor Who inspired pattern by Simplicity as well.

http://images.patternreview.com/sewi.../1095/1095.jpg

So with this new insight of what I saw, I went on the Simplicity Pattern website and the very patterns shown here are on their website! Here's what the description said for the Pattern 1093:

It's being advertised as "Misses Cosplay Costumes". Yeah, you read me right! They actually used the word "Cosplay" for the pattern advertising. Not only that, here's the description that it gives for the pattern itself:

Dive into a world of fantasy and role play with these cosplay costumes designed by Andrea Schewe. Pattern includes all the pieces you need to turn your favorite fairy tale characters into fierce warriors.

Here's the description that was for Pattern 1092 (Sailor Moon):

Get ready to save the world with these anime inspired costumes. Costumes features built-in knit body suit with short skirts and decorative jackets. View C includes ruffled bustle. Andrea Schewe for Simplicity.

Lastly, here's the description used for Pattern 1095 (Doctor Who):

Have a time travel adventure with these incredible costumes for misses. Gowns feature corset tops, bustles and appliques. Loriann Costume Designs for Simplicity. Perfect for Cosplay.

So, I don't know about you fellow cosplayers, but these Andrea Schewe and Loriann people are reconizing us cosplayers for our work. I personally think that it's exciting to know that we're being reconized for our own hard work in terms of having to create our own accessories, skirts, shirts, etc from either exisiting patterns and tweeking them or creating the patterns from scratch. The fact that the word "Cosplay" was even mentioned at all should mean something. From what I'm seeing, these Simplicity patterns may be a start in terms of making this hobby a little bit easier as far as patterns go.

Anyway, I just thought you guys should know and tell me what you think about this! These patterns are very real because I saw them with my own eyes in the Simplicity Pattern catelog.

DeviantArt.com
JapaneseBlossomKitty
KittyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-20-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

I am sure of that, but the thing is that they are only making patterns for costumes that a ton of people do. I am pretty sure you will still have to modify and/or draft patterns for something obscure.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime Expo
2016 Anime LA

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: 80% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Majora's Mask Skull Kid
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2015, 05:08 PM   #3
Delve

That's great, now more people can have interest in cosplay with sewing patterns from their local fabric store.

Anime California & PMX 2015
RWBY
Black Lagoon

Anime North 2016:
Pokemon
Wolf's Rain

Anime Expo 2016:
Rokka
Vocaloid
Gate
Delve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2015, 05:23 PM   #4
Keildra
Pattern Fenangler

Andrea Schewe is my favorite pattern designer. She's done quite a few LotR patterns, a whole slew of steampunk patterns, and I'm pretty sure she's done all of Simplicity's Game of Thrones patterns. She's got her own website where she talks about the design process. On her website she mentioned that there is more coming in August and I am excited.

This is the Simplicity fall preview but the McCall's fall preview features the two Yaya han patterns.

http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/yaya-han-pages-5795.php

For the little one:
Elsa (main dess, coronation dress, and frozen fever dress)
Anna (main dress, coronation dress, and frozen fever dress)
Matching doll dresses to go with it.

Event Plans
Carolina Renaissance Festival 2015
Ichiboncon 2016
Keildra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2015, 07:36 PM   #5
KittyAngel
cute little kitty >^.^<

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediofTime View Post
I am sure of that, but the thing is that they are only making patterns for costumes that a ton of people do. I am pretty sure you will still have to modify and/or draft patterns for something obscure.
I know that a lot of people are doing these types of cosplays already and I know for a fact that me and a lot of cosplayers are still going to have to either tweek existing patterns already or create a pattern from scratch. I'm just seeing this aspect as a good place to start.

For me personally, the fact that the word "Cosplay" even got mentioned on the packaging alone is kinda huge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keildra View Post
Andrea Schewe is my favorite pattern designer. She's done quite a few LotR patterns, a whole slew of steampunk patterns, and I'm pretty sure she's done all of Simplicity's Game of Thrones patterns. She's got her own website where she talks about the design process. On her website she mentioned that there is more coming in August and I am excited.

This is the Simplicity fall preview but the McCall's fall preview features the two Yaya han patterns.

http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/yaya-han-pages-5795.php
Okay cool. Are you saying that she's the one that got the Steampunk style introduced to Simplicity? I mean do correct me. From what it seems, the Steampunk style wasn't in the Simplicity catelogs until maybe 2013 ish. Idk XD Regardless, the fact that the Steampunk style got into Simplicity's hands is a good thing and was a good start as well.

Really? More?! I'm just excited as you are and that's awesome for Andrea Schewe to have more coming in August!

Idk about McCalls in terms of Yaya Han:/ Again, I mean no disprespect towards her as a person and I personally admire her cosplays that she creates, but I don't think Yaya Han would be considered a brand for the cosplay spectrum. What I mean is, she's a famous cosplayer already and she's created her own patterns many many times before. I personally don't see why she would team up with McCalls really or vise versa.

DeviantArt.com
JapaneseBlossomKitty
KittyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2015, 01:28 AM   #6
Amanita

I got the two Yaya Han patterns today- having a good bodysuit pattern is always good, and I could play with the peacock dress's parts.
I'm glad to see so many cosplay patterns out, I just wish they came in bigger sizes.
Unread 07-21-2015, 01:37 AM   #7
AnnaJieJie

One of my friends is a waitress, and one of her recent customers works for Simplicity, so this interesting tidbit was passed on to me: Apparantly the company is actively looking to push further into the our market and wants to put out a lot more cosplay-specific patterns. However, because the majority of Simplicity's employees are not really that familiar with cosplay or what would be most helpful for our community, it might take them a bit to find their footing.

We should all be supporting fantastic designers like Miss Schewe, so Simplicity will bring more people like her on to make pretty patterns for us.
Unread 07-21-2015, 03:52 AM   #8
Syon
leads the crusade

Good for the US, I guess.
Unread 07-21-2015, 07:42 AM   #9
ilafatyu
That guy

There was a thread on this a while back, but the evolution and spread of cosplay is always a good conversation! I work at Joann Fabrics, and we have the cosplay patterns on display on top of the pattern case instead of inside. It's always neat when someone goes by, sees the Sailor Moon pattern up there, and gets excited. And I'm always happy to help out a budding cosplayer in the store, too.

See, Heroes of Cosplay wasn't all bad. Companies related to sewing/craft have recognized a new market in us, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what products they put out to try to get our money. As the market changes, I'm really excited to see what comes next. Some people might be upset about the monetization of cosplay, but as far as I'm concerned, anything that helps newcomers dive in is a good thing.

facebook page // nh/mass cosplay events
Next event: In-CON-Ceivable

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Umbreon (Pokemon gijinka) - Constructing
Gaius (Fire Emblem: Awakening) - Buying stuff
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - Planning
Soren (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) - Constructing
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2015, 11:47 AM   #10
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

I started a thread about this topic not too long ago when I also noticed the new McCall book at Fabricland. I didn't see Simplicity (did it stop making patterns for Canada?).

The rise of the "nerd" and super hero movies has pushed this hobby to the mainstream -- it is an exciting time to be a geek. lol.
BLOG - LINK
mokulen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2015, 02:19 PM   #11
Keildra
Pattern Fenangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAngel View Post

Okay cool. Are you saying that she's the one that got the Steampunk style introduced to Simplicity? I mean do correct me. From what it seems, the Steampunk style wasn't in the Simplicity catelogs until maybe 2013 ish. Idk XD Regardless, the fact that the Steampunk style got into Simplicity's hands is a good thing and was a good start as well.
My apologies I misspoke. It's Theresa Laquey that does the steampunk patterns for Simplicity. I hope she does more for this fall. Loriann is fairly new to me but I like her designs I'm hoping to see more from her, also.

For the little one:
Elsa (main dess, coronation dress, and frozen fever dress)
Anna (main dress, coronation dress, and frozen fever dress)
Matching doll dresses to go with it.

Event Plans
Carolina Renaissance Festival 2015
Ichiboncon 2016
Keildra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2015, 09:41 AM   #12
NaughtsApproach

I plan on buying all the cosplay patterns that just came out! they may not be perfect but they make it very easy to alter into accurate cosplays!

bought Yayas body suit pattern yesterday. Super excited. always good to have a good bodysuit. it is so hard to find.

these patterns make things easy for someone who just wants to put together an easy costume and not draft or go through making their own pattern. or for the newbies who do not know how to alter patterns yet or even how to sew yet

Western CO Cosplay group

:Website:
http://futagocosplay.wix.com/futagocosplay

:FaceBook page:
http://www.facebook.com/WeAreFutagoCosplay

Take a look at our pages!<3
NaughtsApproach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2015, 01:58 PM   #13
bluerose17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilafatyu View Post
(Cut)
See, Heroes of Cosplay wasn't all bad. Companies related to sewing/craft have recognized a new market in us, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what products they put out to try to get our money. As the market changes, I'm really excited to see what comes next. Some people might be upset about the monetization of cosplay, but as far as I'm concerned, anything that helps newcomers dive in is a good thing.
Heroes of Cosplay is partially what got me into cosplay, I didn't realise how dramatic it was and I don't like it as much as I used to but I will always remember it as the show that helped me get into it.
Patrick Stump (YBC)

Future Cosplays:
Touka Kirishima
Neko Nakki
Fem! Gambit
bluerose17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2015, 04:09 PM   #14
Magyarita
Profound Historical Youth

I met Andrea Schewe at Midwest Costume Academy (a 1-day event of cosplay, sewing, and historical costuming seminars) and she told me about how Simplicity is finally answering the requests for more screen-accurate cosplays rather than generic Halloween costumes. (Apparently people have been requesting screen-accurate and historically-accurate costume patterns ever since she started designing Ren Faire patterns in the early 90's for Simplicity.)

Vault Boy -- Fallout
Benny Gecko: Fallout: New Vegas
Momoko Koigakubo: Ghost Stories (Dub)
Daenerys Targaryen (Dothraki outfit): GoT
Cameron Van Buren -- MPGiS
Malory Archer: Archer
Deandra: MPGiS
Kamala Khan: Ms. Marvel
Vader Eloha/The Queen: OFF
Princess Suwa: Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
Sewing blog: http://www.annikakisskisses.blogspot.com
Magyarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2015, 07:10 PM   #15
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Andrea Schewe is also going to be a guest at Costume-Con 34 in Madison next year, if you want to hear from her first-hand and talk to her.

Anyway. As I said on the pattern topic before, the pattern companies have ALWAYS put out something relating to what's popular, usually what movies and children's cartoons have been so popular that they anticipated everyone wanting to make it for Halloween. It's not that cosplay hasn't been noticed, it just has never been taken seriously as a market - it wasn't till about 2010 that you'd see the costume section of each company's book stay the same size year round. It used to be that you'd get all the costume patterns released for the Fall book, for Halloween, and then the book would shrink during the other seasons. The patterns would not be out of print, they just wouldn't be publicized. So, the fact that the companies are accepting that our money is valid year-round and not just in October is always a good thing.

But if you want to talk "recognized?" How about the fact that the Library of Congress, last spring, formally recognized costumery as an art form, and are thus archiving masquerade videos throughout history in the actual Library of Congress - and their equivalents in Britain, Australia, and Canada? That means that starting with Anime North, Costume-Con, and WorldCon, and working their way out to other conventions, masquerade dvds and videos can be sent to the Library of Congress to be officially catalogued and archived. That, I think, is pretty damn cool.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote