Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 78 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 04-10-2005, 10:34 PM   #1
Honey Bunny

The FW Homemade wig dye recipe

Updated on 03-19-2014 with working links. (I can't believe this thread is almost 10 years old ^_^)

Iím sorry for starting a new thread for wig dying, however I wanted to separate this wig dying technique and recipe (and problems) from the other technique so that I could easily keep track of peoples experiences and problems with it (in order to modify the process as well).

I read the previous wig dying post and went out and tried it for myself (which I mention in that thread). However, while trying to break open the sharpie (which I know some of you can do quite easily now) I thought ďIf only I didnít have to harvest sharpie ink like this.Ē

So I thought about it for a couple of days, then took a trip to my local art supply store. There I bought FW Acrylic Artists Ink. This liquid ink comes in 30 colors and another 10 or so metallic colors (but more on those in a bit). The cost of the ink per 1 oz bottle was $4.50.

http://www.dickblick.com/zz211/07/pr...m=0&ig_id=1475

(thereís a color chart at the bottom)

With this liquid ink I had more control of my pigment creation and since it has an ink dropper built on the lid, I can give exact measurements to give (a white) wig the exact pigment in the jar without any distortion.

8 full squeezes of ink (into a spray bottle)
1 cup 70% rubbing alcohol

(only do this much at one time in order to not delude ink color to much)

This creates enough pure pigment wig dye to evenly coat one side of a medium to long wig. Of course larger wigs will need more dye mixed.

To darken or lighten dye, ad 2 to 3 squeezes of black or white ink.

After you've applied the solution to your wig, let it sit for a few hours (I let mine sit for 8) to completely dry and set! This isn't for anyone who is in a rush. When itís completely dry (I choose to leave mine outside). 1) Brush it out to eliminate the crispy stiffness it will adopt. 2) rinse it out with COLD water and lightly wash it (this should rid it of the alcohol smell).

It will look like this
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g8...ps1e9cf615.jpg

The pure liquid pigment is pretty awesome and very easy to keep under control! I didnít have to buy lots of Sharpies in order to harvest enough ink, as well as increasing my color spectrum significantly.

I also have TONS of ink left over in my one bottle. So now Iím going to apply some girly math and girly logic to just how much dyeing you can do with one bottle of ink. At 8 drops of ink and 1 cup per of alcohol application (at 2 to 3 applications per wig) I believe you could dye about 4 long wigs. (This is girly math please keep that in mind. When my roommate gets home I might make him use some actually Science)

Warnings: Combs, clothes, gloves etcÖ. will be stained, even wood and metal! This ink is differnt than sharpie ink so don't wait to long to wash it off.

Now in regards to the metallic, Iím still experimenting with these and so far the results have been good to non-existent. The gold is soooo cool itís got a lot of glittery sheen to it, and looks like youíve got a gold head, however the other colors arenít working so great, Iím trying a few methods of adding more pigment and or less alcohol so more on that when I have genuine facts.

A few more pics of the process
Here's my Linda XXL during
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g8...ps48298cb1.jpg

and here's the finished result
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g8...ps1e9cf615.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g8...ps74a9af5a.jpg

Here's an example of darkening a blond wig (I also added extra length so I promise it's the same wig), using orange ink. It darkened the wig as well as creating highlights.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/737701/

To see how the colors look while being worn in a con environment please see the following galleries:

Anthy
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/56496/

Devil Katt (or see my icon)
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/56497/

Also thank you Clueless Case for the basic Sharpie recipe and the key ingredient ^_^

Note: I've randomly received messages with questions about the process throughout the years and have failed to respond to many of them because I retired from Cosplay in 2007. I'm very happy that this post still helps people but unfortunately I don't check this account enough to respond to specific question requests.

Last edited by Honey Bunny : 03-20-2014 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Links were outdated.
Honey Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-11-2005, 01:12 AM   #2
ANoM

Groobie ^^
Unread 04-11-2005, 02:17 AM   #3
(SiN)
Improviser

does this recipe work to make a blonde wig or brown wig into a white wig?
(SiN) is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2005, 02:31 AM   #4
Honey Bunny

Normally I'd say no, but to be honest I don't really know. I think mixing the white with the alcohol might just make it transparent. However I think I may test this. (But I don't have a dark wig to do it on, so give me some time)

I'm pretty sure it won't work though............
Unread 04-11-2005, 10:11 AM   #5
Ringo
紙の翼

Do you have any idea how the texture of the wig as compared to a sharpie dyed wig? It sounds like a nice little technique. ^_^
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2005, 10:35 AM   #6
(SiN)
Improviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Bunny
Normally I'd say no, but to be honest I don't really know. I think mixing the white with the alcohol might just make it transparent. However I think I may test this. (But I don't have a dark wig to do it on, so give me some time)

I'm pretty sure it won't work though............
thank you for this.
its really been tough finding a white wig. there are quite a good number of characters with white hair out there. . .
(SiN) is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2005, 11:21 AM   #7
AlphaNinn
I am me?

Sounds promising....and affordable.

And I know I have a dick blick store not too far from me...I'd be willing to bet that I wouldn't have to order the ink online.
AlphaNinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2005, 01:32 PM   #8
Honey Bunny

The texture of the wig is exactly as it was before it was dyed. It's even kept it's glosy sheen, which is what I think the sharpie wig I worked on (albeit not in the best way) lost. The color is a lot more even as well since the random amount of Sharpie ink I got out made some parts of the wig darker than others.
Unread 04-11-2005, 01:52 PM   #9
Ringo
紙の翼

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Bunny
The texture of the wig is exactly as it was before it was dyed. It's even kept it's glosy sheen, which is what I think the sharpie wig I worked on (albeit not in the best way) lost. The color is a lot more even as well since the random amount of Sharpie ink I got out made some parts of the wig darker than others.
Awesome! I'm going to try this one for sure, thanks for posting your experiment. ^_^
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2005, 02:28 PM   #10
heki-chan
SMA-Cosplay
Board Moderator

Hi!

Thanks so much for posting this

I'm concerned about whether or not the wig (post-dying) may rub off on clothing..

THANKS! ^_________^
heki-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2005, 03:24 PM   #11
Honey Bunny

If you let it dry intially for enough time, wash it until it rinses clean, and let it dry once more it WILL not rub off on your costume. I put it through the exstinsive rub test, and was composed of skin white satin, and white cotton and nothing came off. The only test I haven't and probably can't put it through is the sweaty head experiment.

So if someone wants to color their wig and then go out and run around the block in their new wig a couple of times, please let us know what happens ^^
Unread 04-11-2005, 08:33 PM   #12
Clueless Case
unce unce unce!

Talking Yay!!!

Hey, rock on for this thread. I know my thread was really vague. I am glad someone figured out a good recipe to offer the cosplay community. I have a question tho. Have you tried a grey/black dye yet? I know most black inks are either red or blue based and the alcohol causes the colors to seperate.

Taking Wig Commissions
Clueless Case is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2005, 08:45 PM   #13
newmyu
Waiiiiiiiii!!!

A comment on the sharpie thing, in case you want to/decide to revisit it... getting a pair of pliars and pulling the colored plastic piece off will grant you instant access to the ink tank. Taking an x-acto knife and slitting the plastic around the tank, then placing that into your alcohol (in a sealed bottle) and letting set for several hours will draw all the ink out of the tank, assuming you shake every 20 or so minutes. ^^

91% alcohol (injection site cleaning alcohol...) will yield quicker results as far as drawing out ink, however if the wig it is applied to has been dyed previously, it will strip off a good portion of the previous dye.

Water seems to keep sharpie dye from sticking very well (not sure why) and a sharpie dyed wig can be rinsed immediately after dying (or at least, I didn't have a problem with it)

I just learned this in the course of the last 24 hours.. ^^; In case you or anyone else reading this thread was interested. ^^
newmyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2005, 09:37 PM   #14
Nancyboynoire
Glomp.

Hmn... this is very intriguigin because I've been trying for EVER ( like four hours! ) to find a pale pink wig... but I find none. It saddens me greatly... but maybe with this new technique...*strokes chin*

Wahaha. I am off to test some of it this theory out. perhaps I'll die some wig extensions blue, then sit infront of the oven for a wee-while ( don't really do the whole running thing) and I'll get back to you guys XD
Unread 04-11-2005, 11:39 PM   #15
HowlinMadMurphy
what

Tattoo tastic? It actually will stain your skin more than a sharpie would? That doesn't sound too good to be on something so near your face eventually :/
HowlinMadMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote