Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 126 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 04-12-2005, 12:52 AM   #16
Honey Bunny

*lol* I was just exaggerating with "tattoo tastic," it will come off especially if you rinse fast enough, just don't make a 2 hour phone call while it's on you.

Ok so a few things I learned today,

White will not change the color of a wig.

Tomorrow I'll learn if the black will turn into some completely different color.

Unread 04-12-2005, 12:58 AM   #17
newmyu
Waiiiiiiiii!!!

There is one major concern (at least, for me) about this product versus sharpie dye. Sharpies are, as most know, non-toxic. The ink you're using (the dickblick stuff) is. That alone is enough for me to avoid it, but I would also be doing most of the dying in my bathroom, which isn't a terribly well ventilated place, even WITH the fan on. The rubbing alcohol is bad enough for a person, but before you expose yourself to this stuff too much, you might email the people at dickblick and ask for a MSDS sheet to see exactly what hazardous stuff is in it.

I know some people think that this type of thing isn't serious, but there are some chemicals that, even in tiny quantities, can cause serious damage (ever use a leafing pen? If you read the package, they say that exposure, even through skin contact with the liquid leafing solution, can go so far as to cause serious liver problems and so forth, and that's just from accidental, casual contact.)

I'm not bringing this up to be a pain in the rear, because if someone can find an easier, faster, more accurate (and more colorful!) way of dying wigs, I'm all for it, but if it puts people's health at risk... I don't know if it's worth it to me personally. ^^;
newmyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2005, 03:18 AM   #18
Honey Bunny

I completely understand your concern. It’s mine as well, when I chose that ink I checked the warning sheet provided for warnings such as A) Do not expose yourself for long periods of time etc…. on the art store display. After finding only the standard (don’t eat or get me in your eye warnings) I decide this would be the best to experiment with.

Sharpies non-toxic ness doesn’t imply “you can put this one your head.” Its levels of possible danger are the same as any other chemical compound. The non-toxic logo on any product (IMO) is something to encourage mothers to buy it without fear just in case their kids decide to ingest it. It’s that way with all coloring materials that could be placed in the hands of children (crayons, chalk, markers etc…..)

By mixing Sharpie with alcohol you’re changing its chemical makeup and intended purpose, thus the sharpie automatically assumes a new set of warnings none of us know of.

(Example: “Strawberries.” Strawberries are yummy and children can and are allowed to eat them. Now take a Strawberry daiquiri it has Strawberries in it, but you don’t want your children to have it because now it’s something with harmful liquor and strawberries in it.) It just takes one small change to create something un-desireable. (Sorry for my weird examples by the way.)

On to my reasons for experimenting with out any “non toxic” concerns:

If such inks paints and other things weren’t safe to get on the skin or expose to skin in expected amounts, they wouldn’t be sold to the public in mass quantities because all it takes is that one stupid kid to get their factory shut down.

In regards to fumes, doing it in the bathroom isn’t a person’s only option, a spray bottle and a back porch with news paper is fine, with the sharpies I anticipated the mess and went out to my parking lot. If someone wants to do something like this but doesn’t have a safe area to do it in, then they shouldn’t do it.

After the wig is rinsed all toxic chemicals will be left behind in small amounts. However this is one of the reasons I want someone to go out and sweat while wearing a dyed wig, to see if it will have any effect and cause those traces amounts to come off. I’m fairly certain they won’t if water and shampoo won’t take it off.

Over all everything does have risks. Sharpies and acrylic ink harbor almost the same risks levels when being transformed. However most of those risks still involve ingestion and over exposure to fumes.

In the end it’s up to everyone to make their own decisions. I’m just out to discuss every possible extent of doing this method.
Unread 04-12-2005, 03:29 AM   #19
newmyu
Waiiiiiiiii!!!

*nods* I totally get what you're saying, and my main reason for posting was simply that there are a LOT of people out there who DON'T take into account the fact that there might be some toxic compounds in the ink, and sit there with their hands practically soaking in it for hours or whatever, thinking it's totally safe to use because one person used it successfully. ^^; A lot of people also don't know the difference between the art supply labels put on things like sharpies, prismacolors, the ink, ect, and see the little circular symbol and assume it's ALL non toxic, when it isn't. ^^;

I know that adding the alcohol to the sharpie will change its chemical makeup (actually, it more just dilutes the sharpie, because I'm *pretty sure* that Sharpie ink has alcohol in it as well, just in much smaller quantities, which would make sense as to why the alcohol would take it back off of a surface...) the change will be more focused around the alcohol's properties (which clearly state to use in a ventilated room) because of quantity used.

I'm not saying that you should take a Sharpie and sit sniffing it all day, or draw all over your little sister. ^^; But if it's considered non-toxic, it's considered safe for extended use, whereas the other is considered safe if used within specific guidelines.

In case anyone is interested, the information I got came from Dickblick.com:
"Products bearing the AP seal of the Art & Creative Materials Institute, Inc. (ACMI) are certified non-toxic. A medical expert evaluates each product and its ingredients. A product can be certified non-toxic only if it contains no materials in sufficient quantities to be toxic or injurious to humans, or to cause acute or chronic health problems. AP certification is reviewed by ACMI's Toxicological Advisory Board. These products are certified by ACMI to be labeled in accordance with the chronic hazard labeling standard, ASTM D-4236 and federal law P.L. 100-695."

"Products bearing the CL seal of the Art & Creative Materials Institute ("Caution Label") contain ingredients that are toxic or hazardous, but they can be used safely with appropriate caution. Materials that bear the CL seal should be used only by those persons who are able to read, understand, and follow suggested safety precautions for handling those materials. The Caution Label signifies that although the product contains a toxic element, it can be handled safely if the directions on the container or packaging are followed. Many such art products cannot be made non-hazardous, but are necessary for certain creative activities. When used in properly supervised and controlled conditions, they can be enjoyed with complete safety."

Basically, one product is considered safe whatever you do with it, because levels of possibly toxic components are so minute, they're not worth mentioning, and the other has high enough levels of potentially dangerous compounds that it could potentially, if misused, be dangerous.

I don't think that my worry is so much about you, Honey Bunny, because I'm sure you have the sense to take precautions or keep your exposure minimal, but I do worry about others on this site who might see this post, read a couple of lines and be like, 'Oh hey, this works, I'll run out and get some" and end up poisoning themselves in the process. -.-; We, as people, don't always use common sense, after all. ^^;
Unread 04-12-2005, 02:00 PM   #20
archangeli
~ Ich bin da. ~

I would never suggest dyeing a wig in your bathroom - even with the window open and a fan going it is still an enclosed space. My sister and I always take our wigs outside to our backyard dye them, and even then the alcohol fumes linger for a bit.

Newmyu - thanks for pointing out the difference in the AP and CL labeling. I don't think I ever bothered to notice that they weren't the same. Normally I would look at it and say "ok, it's been approved" and buy them... hehehe
Unread 04-12-2005, 02:31 PM   #21
newmyu
Waiiiiiiiii!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangeli
I would never suggest dyeing a wig in your bathroom - even with the window open and a fan going it is still an enclosed space. My sister and I always take our wigs outside to our backyard dye them, and even then the alcohol fumes linger for a bit.
I don't have any place I can do it outside until my husband and I build our house, so the bathroom is kind of the only place I have. ^^; Really though, I found that having a fan pointing INTO the bathroom (pulling fresh air in) and the exhaust fan going, it really isn't too bad, particularly if I leave the bathroom shortly after finishing... ^^ The alcohol fumes were completely gone before I had finished rinsing the wig, too. ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by archangeli
Newmyu - thanks for pointing out the difference in the AP and CL labeling. I don't think I ever bothered to notice that they weren't the same. Normally I would look at it and say "ok, it's been approved" and buy them... hehehe
No problem. It isn't that I'm trying to scare people away from one method or another, I just think people need to/should be more aware of what they're handling when they're doing this type of stuff, particularly if it could be something they might be doing somewhat frequently (which is always a possibility with wigs and cosplay...) I worked in a factory for a few months before I developed an injury, and learned while working there that there are chemicals we work with every day that can be extremely dangerous, and most of us know nothing about it. It's also where I learned about MSDS (Materials Safety Data Sheets), which disclose every chemical in a substance. They're great things, and you can see just what you're getting exposed to, what to watch for, exactly how to handle the substance, what it interacts with, EVERYTHING. ^^ And to get one, all you have to do is ask the place that sells the stuff. ^^
Unread 04-13-2005, 05:43 PM   #22
Honey Bunny

I had the day off from school so I thought I would do a color test on some hair I had sitting around.

These are the ink colors I started off with
http://honeybunny.50megs.com/Deandra/inkcolor.jpg

White
Purple
Grey
Black

These are the colors I achieved with it.
http://honeybunny.50megs.com/Deandra/haircolor.jpg

The color variation isn’t very noticeable at times because of my camera’s quality. However there was A LOT of pigment control. The normal purple was my formula of 8 drops purple 1 cup alcohol. To get the light purple seen at the end of the 2nd one was 4 drops purple 4 drops white. It was that way with each combination, adding black white or grey as needed.

Also these were done on white braid hair straight from the package, so you can see the original color usually at the top and very bottom where I left it for comparison.

What I’m especially happy with is the shades of grey I can achieve. The light dark and medium gray’s where very easy to mix and duplicate over and over again.
Unread 04-13-2005, 08:03 PM   #23
Gii

And the texture of the hair? How did it feel after everything was said and done? :3
Gii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2005, 10:10 PM   #24
Honey Bunny

Those were done from Yaki style braid hair, and yaki sucks all around (I also didn't rinse them because the hair was sheding way to bad for me to attempt it. Next time I'll make wefts first).

Here is a picture of what a good wig will look like after being rinsed and dried

http://honeybunny.50megs.com/Deandra/hairtexture.jpg

After washing and brushing the hair is exactly the same as it came before it was dyed.

The mixture for that color was 7 drops purple 1 drop white.

Last edited by Honey Bunny : 04-13-2005 at 10:29 PM.
Honey Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2005, 09:19 AM   #25
Melfina
Some Sneaky Sim

This sounds like a great idea! It seems like you can really customize the colors to your liking; I think I'll try this technique when the time comes to dye my Yuki wig.

I hope I'm not deviating from the topic too much, but would you suggest purchasing purple lake along with silver or cool grey to achieve Yuki's unusual purple-ish-grey hue? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yuki 7.jpg (16.9 KB, 0 views)
Melfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2005, 01:50 PM   #26
Honey Bunny

I definitely suggest get purple lake and a grey to mix together to achieve Yuki’s color. What’s nice about mixing these colors is the subtleness you can achieve. It’s not just straight mixing grey and purple to get some weird shade. You could use 7 drops grey 2 purple and probably get the right shade (although I think I’d ad a drop of black to deepen the color a bit more). All in all it’s just like being an artist and mixing paints, so just mix a few drops together without adding alcohol and see what combo’s you like ^^.
Unread 04-14-2005, 05:14 PM   #27
Bobbi
I poke spoons with baders

I'm so glad you posted this! I'm working on a wig for a friend that is extremely long and thick (about 7 packs of extentions), but we got the wrong fiber color, so I had to end up coloring it all with sharpies. It was just way too time consuming, and it would be too expensive to color it with Katie Bair's wig dye. Now I can finish working on this for rather inexpensively! ^_^
Unread 04-14-2005, 06:32 PM   #28
Yueyume
nemuri...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Bunny
White will not change the color of a wig.
Aww T_T I have a brown wig, but I need a pinkish (auburn?) color (Himeno from pretear)...

Does there exist a brand of ink out there that's alcohol soluble, but is opaque, so one can use it to color a wig, even its color is darker than the target color?
Unread 04-15-2005, 12:50 PM   #29
Honey Bunny

Yueyume, I honestly don't know of an ink that could cover a darker shade completly. My experiments with white and grey pretty much taught me that this ink won't take things up a shade. Sorry >_< I'm not much help.
Unread 04-15-2005, 01:26 PM   #30
DivineSage
Formerly OokamiTsuki

Any suggestions on how to achieve this particular pink color?
http://img175.exs.cx/img175/8002/680063ap.jpg

And this ink will not come out of wigs, and isn't dangerous at all?
DivineSage is offline   Reply With Quote