Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 143 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 04-15-2005, 05:41 PM   #31
Yueyume
nemuri...

I'm a newb at all this, x3 but according to what everyone else said (in this and the other home made wig dye thread too), this is safe, just be sure to have ventilation. I think your color is just dark pink with a little orange...

Honey Bunny: Noo you are a lot fo help! I'm so thankful you did all those experiments! I guess I'll just have to cut my old blond wig and dye it. ^_^

Unread 04-15-2005, 07:00 PM   #32
heki-chan
SMA-Cosplay
Board Moderator

Honey Bunny: Do you think its possible to turn a platinum blonde wig into a Black wig with Blue highlights? *o*
heki-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2005, 08:34 PM   #33
Grencia Mars
Broke College Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmyu
There is one major concern (at least, for me) about this product versus sharpie dye. Sharpies are, as most know, non-toxic. The ink you're using (the dickblick stuff) is. That alone is enough for me to avoid it, but I would also be doing most of the dying in my bathroom, which isn't a terribly well ventilated place, even WITH the fan on. The rubbing alcohol is bad enough for a person, but before you expose yourself to this stuff too much, you might email the people at dickblick and ask for a MSDS sheet to see exactly what hazardous stuff is in it.

I know some people think that this type of thing isn't serious, but there are some chemicals that, even in tiny quantities, can cause serious damage (ever use a leafing pen? If you read the package, they say that exposure, even through skin contact with the liquid leafing solution, can go so far as to cause serious liver problems and so forth, and that's just from accidental, casual contact.)

I'm not bringing this up to be a pain in the rear, because if someone can find an easier, faster, more accurate (and more colorful!) way of dying wigs, I'm all for it, but if it puts people's health at risk... I don't know if it's worth it to me personally. ^^;
I would just like to clarify that Sharpies ARE toxic. They are marked nontoxic because they are, but only when USED AS INTENDED. I can't seem to stress that enough. Paper, plastic, whatever, is fine, but when ingested or applied to skin Sharpies are just as bad as any other solvent based ink or marker. They won't kill you from one misusage but they are not good for you. I don't think wearing sharpie dyed wigs will hurt you but I just want to clarify that unless the said item is meant to be ingested or worn on the skin, nontoxic means jack.
Unread 04-15-2005, 08:44 PM   #34
Honey Bunny

Ookami Tsuki

I'm not sure how this pink is exactly my monitor is somewhat crumby however. For that shade of pink I think that red white and pink is what you'd need to achieve it accurately.

Probably something along the lines of

5 (squeezes) red
2 (squeezes)pink
1 (squeezes)white

The best thing about this is that you can just mix ink in like a plastic cup see what color it's going to make then add the alcohol and spray away.

It's very easy to adjust to your own preference.

As for it being safe and coming off, it won't come off on your head as long as you let it dry long enough and rinse well with cold water. Also proper ventilation and ingestion are the only major dangers.

Heki-chan

I believe it's possible to make a platinum wig black with blue highlights. It's just a matter of patience. Make sure you keep the hair you wish to highlight blond while you dye the rest black, then when the black is dyed and set, spray over with the blue (because the blue will not effect the black after it sets) and that should give you the effect you desire.
Unread 04-16-2005, 05:19 AM   #35
black shinigami

Ok, I'm also a stoopid noob who has a few questions that I would like to ask.

I am doing a Lacus Clyne wig and because I cannot find a long pink one here I decided to take my friend's suggestion to buy a blonde one and dye it(the stoopid blonde wig cost me $45 bucks not to mention it. I feel so ripped off). Ok, so the FW ink is like $10.50 a bottle here!!

I just want to ask, since I don't have a wig stand, is it ok to dye my wig on newspaper? Will it end up staining the table or floor? Also, when you let your wig to set, do you leave it outside or inside?

I'm also curious, since I only have that blonde wig, I will prolly use it again for another con but I'll need to dye it another colour, will the dye go on?

Also, where do I get rubbing alchohol from? ^__^;;

Sorry, i'm a very poor girl who feels like she's been ripped off badly.

I also have a suggestion about perspiration. Ok this might sound a lil gross, but couldn't someone just sweat run around, and then wipe their sweat on the wig? wouldn't it still be the same?
black shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2005, 06:39 PM   #36
Yueyume
nemuri...

Hahah, I feel the same way after buying a wig. I mean spending ~$40 on a wig that you're not going to use that much. ;_; Maybe a few times a year...or less if the character's hair needs special cutting/styling that makes it impossible to use for any other cosplay. Eeek I wish I had time for a job!
Unread 04-17-2005, 03:31 AM   #37
black shinigami

Me too. Ok. I bought the rubbing alcohol today. I just need my Questions answered and I'm ready to start. Thank goodness I remember having some crappy hair extensions lying at home to test on. Iono if this is counted as cheap, ok the wig is all tangled, it's up to my back and originally the lady told me it was $85 and I said I only had $40(coz that's how much everyone said it was) and her boss said she could give it to me for $45. I mean come on!! That big of a difference I'm sure you'd feel like you've been ripped off too. They prolly import these wigs for like a few cents each.
I really feel for those who actually fork out that 85 bucks to get that wig. And what I found quite annoying was that they wouldn't leave me alone!!(I mean there was another wig store directly opposite of it and I wanted to take a look!!) Though they actually had to go to the storage place to get out multiple wigs for me to look at(was too embarrassed to try them on)
Unread 04-18-2005, 01:13 AM   #38
Honey Bunny

Sorry for the delayed reply I went out of town to buy wigs *Sadly* HollyVine wigs in Hollywood has a great selection, but dealing with the employes there is headache inducing.

Anyhow I think you'd need something to put the wig on in order to coat it evenly. Also the ink solution would proably soak through the newspaper and get on the carpet, so maybe doing it in the bath tub with the water running to wash away excess liquid before it dries would be best for you.

Or there's always my favorite place, outside where the grass don't grow ^^
Unread 04-18-2005, 01:36 AM   #39
black shinigami

Ic, thanks for the help. mm..I don't hace one of those wig stands..maybe I'll use a plastic box. I think I'll prolly do this outside since 1. my bathtub is dirty and 2. my blacony is pink anyway. ^__^

Um..ok one more - Does the wig have to hang off the ground to let the dye spread evenly? And should I brush it after a few sprays to make sure it's even? (Ok , that's two extra questions. I'm terribly sorry, i'm really poor).
Unread 04-19-2005, 10:14 PM   #40
LadyoftheThread
stitcher of fantasies

I decided to try experimenting with this dyeing method today since I have a light blonde wig that I would like to be a more golden blonde. But I wonder if I goofed somewhere since the swatch of blonde kanekalon extensions I tried to dye didnít come out very well. ^_^;;

I bought a bottle of the FW ink in gold plus one in white since I thought the gold alone was deeper than I wanted. I mixed about a dropper of the gold ink in a tiny glass jar (Iíd guess about half ounce size) with 91% alcohol. I tried putting in a tiny bit of the white but then I saw little flecks in the dye, like specks of dried out paint, so I didnít add any more.

I dipped my swatch into the dye and then left it out to dry on a paper towel. However, when I came back later, I saw flecks of pigment in some spots and nothing in others so I put it in the dye again. After it dried the second time and was rinsed, it was a little bit darker overall but there were still specks in some spots if you looked closely. And it didnít look very golden so I wonder if I did something wrong since Honey Bunny noted that out of the metallic shades, gold worked well.

Could the ink being too old be a problem? All of the bottles of gold FW ink looked like theyíd been sitting around the store quite a while. The gold pigment had separated out but it easily mixed back together after I shook the bottle a bit so I figured it would be okay. But maybe not. :-/
Next conventions: Anime Boston 2011, Costume Con 29
LadyoftheThread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2005, 11:13 PM   #41
DivineSage
Formerly OokamiTsuki

Thanks for the tip, Honey Bunny. Ha ha stupid me... I went and made a thread about it before checking to see if you replied...
DivineSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2005, 12:04 AM   #42
NekoZero
§Subaru Sumeragi Fangirl§

Anou~ I apologize since you keep getting questions upon questions "How do I make this color?" ^^;

I'm very bad at being able to tell or guess...

How would I achieve Lucy's (Elfen Lied) hair color?

Thank you!
NekoZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2005, 01:41 AM   #43
Honey Bunny

Hello Lady of the thread thanks for your question! Those metallic shades are really hit and miss, and I honestly don't know what makes them work. When I said that it "looks like you have a gold head" I should have been more specific, it adds a lot of glittery shine when you go over board with it. As for getting the color to change with the metallic pigment you'd probably have to add yellow.

When I was doing a glossy purple experiment I did,

8 squeezes purple
4 squeezes metallic purple

And I got a nice glitter sheen effect, however alone the purple metallic won't change the color very much (I think itís all that silver color they mix into it).

Try that recipe with yellow and a little bit of white and see how much metallic glimmer holds up.

Neko Zero in regards to Lucyís hair color try um process magenta with white, or process magenta with scarlet and white (Iím basing this off of the color chart as seen in my original post. I donít know how different these colors will look in person.)

Itís really just a matter of mixing, like I said treat it like paint, then test it on extra hair and go for it.
Unread 04-20-2005, 10:04 PM   #44
black shinigami

Mm..Lady of the thread - Maybe you mixed in too much alcohol?
Unread 04-21-2005, 12:21 PM   #45
LadyoftheThread
stitcher of fantasies

Honey Bunny- Oh, okay. I guess I misinterpreted what you said. ^_^; Iíll have to wait until I can get a bottle of yellow and try again. With just the gold, I got an uneven pale caramel color that doesnít seem to have much glitter to it. I might have to wait until after I debut the costume to try again though since Iím running short on time. ^_^;

black shinigami- I considered that but I mixed my sample in a tiny jar, about the size of a nail polish bottle. I even tried adding another half dropper full of ink and dipping my swatch in again but there wasnít a drastic difference. I guess it might just have to do with the ink being a metallic color.
Next conventions: Anime Boston 2011, Costume Con 29
LadyoftheThread is offline   Reply With Quote