Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 4.98 average.
Unread 04-21-2005, 11:37 AM   #46
aeiouna
Newbie Cosplayer

Another stupid "How do I make [such-and-such]'s hair color?" question, sort of.

I'm doing Panyo Panyo Dejiko, and I was wondering which shade of green (they have four! Ack!) I should use?

I've seen tons of Dejiko wigs, and the greens run the gamet: dark greens, lime greens, everything. I'm probably looking for more of a darker green (since for some reason the printout is way darker than the on screen).

Ehhh... while I'm at it... how would I make a bubblegum pink like Popuri's (Harvest Moon) hair?

Last edited by aeiouna : 04-21-2005 at 11:41 AM.
aeiouna is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2005, 09:50 PM   #47
black shinigami

Ok, I know that I have bee seriously ripped off. My wig barely has any hair left. T__T Though it might be because I fitted it on a container so it stretched.

Ok for my lacus wig, I did:

8 squeezes of magenta
8 squeezes of white
1 full plastic cup of Rubbing alchohol.

When I sprayed it on, it looked alright but I think I'll have to put about 10 squeezes of white next time because after it's set, the pink is quite dark.

Ok here's my suggestion to people:

- Spray bottles are not always ideal, I think you might be better off getting a tray, pouring the mixture in there and soak the wig in. Why? Coz I keep missing the opening of the spray bottle with the rubbing alchohol.

- To get rid of the paint on your balcony or back yard floor, use Eucalyptus oil. It'll get rid of it and leave a refreshing smell. If you can't get rid of some of the harder stains, use terpentine or metho.

- make sure your plastic cup doesn't have holes at the bottom.

- Be aware that there is more hair underneath your first layer.

- Gundam model boxes are useful.

Ok, I haven't finished my wig coz I ran out of rubbing alcohol. I did a brief measurement with a tiny measuring cup and 8 squeezes of FW ink is about 16ml(it's either 6 or 16, i forgot, but one squeeze was around 2ml imo).

A full cup of rubbing alchohol is about 160mls or so.

Hope that helps.

Oh and I used newspaper under my wig. It's good but one or two sheets wont work. PUT THE WHOLE STACK UNDERNEATH!!

Last edited by black shinigami : 04-21-2005 at 10:04 PM.
black shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2005, 06:39 AM   #48
black shinigami

Ok the wig is dried. The shade is quite dark and I'll need to go over it again in a lighter colour.

I washed the wig today. Clogged the sink. -__-;;

Well, I was wondering, when i washed the wig the water turned pink . Is this normal?
Unread 04-23-2005, 10:42 AM   #49
Solaria
Ninja Pirate

Yeah, it is, you have to rinse out the ink so it doesn't rub off on your clothes and such. Rinse it through until the water runs clear. The unrinsed wig may also look darker than it will rinsed out.

The hair fell out?! May I ask what kind of wig you started with? I don't see how dye would make the fibers fall out (unless it was seriously corrosive dye, but it's just rubbing alcohol. . .).
Solaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2005, 11:11 AM   #50
Honey Bunny

Just make sure you're washing with cold water, if the water is two hot it will remove a lot of you dye. As for the sink clogging that really does have more to do with the wig you've purchased over the dye.

Also in regards to using a tray over a spray bottle I wouldn't recommend it, just use a funnel to get the alcohol into your spray bottle, that way you won't have to worry about missing it.
Unread 04-24-2005, 01:11 PM   #51
Ffiferoo

Sorry if this has been asked before, I read the older topic a few weeks ago and I can't remember if anyone mentioned it, but what size spray bottle would you recommend using? Like a Windex-sized kind of deal, or something smaller?
Unread 04-24-2005, 08:02 PM   #52
Ringo
紙の翼

Well after a bit of experimentation I've finished dying my wig using the Acrylic dye method. =D

I started with a 613 Platinum Blonde wig and used the Process Magenta and Purple Lake ink to mix the color. ^_^

I did edn up having to dye the wig twice. XD

Frist Round:
10 (full droppers) Magenta
4 (full droppers) Purple
1 cup 70 Alcohol
The color didn't turn as dark as I needed it and it wasn't sticking to the roots very well. XD The color was also much lighter than I need, so I played around with the recipe a bit.

Round Two:
20 (full droppers) Magenta
10 (full droppers) Purple
Half cup of 90 Alcohol
This time the dye took very well, especially to the roots. Half a cup was the perfect amount to cover the entire wig and touch up the roots. The color is a touch lighter than I would have wanted, next time I'll start with a different base color wig if I need a darker finish. I think uping the alcohol proof help as well.
I did rinse and dry the wig inbetween each dye treatment and let it dry. So if your trying for a darker color I would suggest uping the amount of ink and the proof of the alcohol, and also reduce the amount of alcohol. ( I hope that makes sense. XD)

Here are some pictures for ya!
The character is Lunamaria Hawke from Gundam Seed Destiny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg luna-ref.jpg (34.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg luna-wig.jpg (31.0 KB, 0 views)
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2005, 01:20 AM   #53
black shinigami

lol. I didn't mean clog the sink as in hair. I didn't know you should run it so the water turns clear, so I used shampoo and the bubbles started coming out of the other end(there's this drain in the middle of no where and the bubbles came out from there).

Well I think I should read this before I started to dye the wig again. DON'T USE THE TRAY!! The fumes will kill you. I mean it I almost died. And the wig just sucks up all the dye.

well, yea, next time, i think I'll bend the cup a bit.

Well I took some photos and here's what it looks like. coz of lighting reasons the photo doesn't look EXACTLY like the wig but close. I'm gonna borrow a anit-frizz serum from my friend to anti-frizz it(I don't have em coz i never get frizzy hair in case you're wondering)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wig2.jpg (170.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg wig1.jpg (144.4 KB, 0 views)
Unread 04-25-2005, 01:21 AM   #54
Honey Bunny

I'm glad it worked out for you Ringo. I've been playing around with purple lake and indigo and making every shade of purple known to man lately. Getting the exact color the first time is probably the most challenging part since there are so many shades that you can potentially make. Anyhow, I think the wig looks great, and I'm glad you posted the formula you used.
Unread 04-25-2005, 09:26 PM   #55
KuroBara
dog of the military

Thanks for posting this Honey Bunny! I don't have a Dick Blick nearby, but I went to Michael's and got some Liquitex "concentrated acrylic artist color" and some 91% isopropyl alcohol. The only thing I couldn't find was a spray bottle, so I'll head to a beauty supply store later this week. The color I bought was "French Blue/Grey" since light blues / grays are very hard (nearly impossible) to find in wigs. The only spare hair I have around is light blond, but when I get a chance to try this out I'll post about it.
Unread 04-27-2005, 05:23 AM   #56
black shinigami

You can find spray bottles in supermarkets and stuff i think. Erm..I haven't washed my wig yet from that last dye job. It's alright to leave it unwashed for a few days right? right?00
Unread 04-27-2005, 06:08 AM   #57
thegame2158
Operation: R.E.M.I.E.

i was hoping to find a way to turn my brownish color wig to a blonde color wig. kinda upsetting that no one has done it yet lol i don't think it will work. i have a cheap blonde wig but when i mean cheap, the hair is all over the place and falls out too. kinda depressing. i was hoping to make my synthetic wig a better color
thegame2158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2005, 01:08 AM   #58
black shinigami

I would order from there but isn't it US shipping only? The problem is that Wigs pricing in US dollars are really expensive here and including shipping they cost a fortune.
Unread 04-28-2005, 02:05 AM   #59
takanori
Salty Dawg

We're being watched, which is quite funny. ^_^ (The ad below)
takanori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2005, 03:46 AM   #60
black shinigami

That is scary. 00;;