Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 4.98 average.
Unread 04-28-2005, 11:35 AM   #61
mikazuki
三日月

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame2158
i was hoping to find a way to turn my brownish color wig to a blonde color wig. kinda upsetting that no one has done it yet lol i don't think it will work. i have a cheap blonde wig but when i mean cheap, the hair is all over the place and falls out too. kinda depressing. i was hoping to make my synthetic wig a better color
You won't be able to. When it comes to synthetic fibers such as in wigs bleaching or using any kind of paint remover would basically "melt" the wig.

Unread 04-28-2005, 07:19 PM   #62
thegame2158
Operation: R.E.M.I.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikazuki
You won't be able to. When it comes to synthetic fibers such as in wigs bleaching or using any kind of paint remover would basically "melt" the wig.
well thanks anyway. i guess i'm gonna have to use my cheesey crappy wig.
thegame2158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2005, 11:01 PM   #63
black shinigami

Those wig ads are annoying
black shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2005, 12:49 AM   #64
(SiN)
Improviser

wow. . i've been seeing alot of ppl that turn platinum wigs into colors that they like. . however, i've been looking for the perfect platinum wigs. . . and to my anguish was unable to find one as such.

recently i found a wig that looks exactly like i want it to be. . buts it only comes in brown, red, and blonde. is there a way to dye it white?

help would greatly be appreciated on this.
(SiN) is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2005, 11:29 AM   #65
Honey Bunny

Using this method there is no way to dye the wig white. I tried it before earlier in the thread.
Unread 05-04-2005, 10:31 AM   #66
(SiN)
Improviser

what if i were to mix cool grey with the white.....?
(SiN) is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2005, 02:07 PM   #67
LadyoftheThread
stitcher of fantasies

I hadn't been planning on it but I ended up dyeing my Bubbly Enchantment wig last week after I found that it looked very washed out next to the bright fabrics of the costume it was supposed to go with. I was trying for golden blonde so I used lots of gold ink plus some lemon yellow. I was in a hurry (wanted to wear the costume over the weekend) so I put the wig in a pan, poured the dye over it, and swished it around rather than using a spray bottle. Then, left it out on newspapers and paper towels to dry.

I think there was something wrong with my gold ink because the pigment didn't stick to the wig fibers at all despite my mixing in practically the whole bottle. All the glitter ended up either on the newspapers, the scalp of the wig, or washing away when I rinsed the wig after about 5 1/2 hours drying time. I noticed that the gold pigment tended to seperate out of the dye and fall to the bottom of my bottle pretty quickly while the yellow stayed mixed with the alcohol. Maybe, the ink was too old like I thought when I first tried a swatch with only gold. :-/

The wig did take the yellow but it was rather streaky in the middle and ends. I think it had to do with how I left it out to dry. I'll have to try and redo the dye job sometime to make it more consistent. At least, the color went better with my costume. (I'm wearing the wig in my new avatar.)

Oh, and I've also observed that wig detangler can cause the color to bleed slightly. (Or the kind that I have anyway.) A bit of color came off on my fingers when I was detangling the wig and some clear elastics that I used while styling the wig took on a yellow tint.
Next conventions: Anime Boston 2011, Costume Con 29
LadyoftheThread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2005, 03:23 PM   #68
CosplayerGabi
Shotgun Badass

Quote:
Oh, and I've also observed that wig detangler can cause the color to bleed slightly. (Or the kind that I have anyway.) A bit of color came off on my fingers when I was detangling the wig and some clear elastics that I used while styling the wig took on a yellow tint.
Check the ingredients in your detangler. If it has any kind of alcohol in it that's why the color comes off. Remember you put on the color with alcohol...and alcohol can take it off too. Mine has a bit in it too and I have to be careful with the amount I use on my dark purple wig.

I thought someone said something about metallics not taking so well. I think if I were going to experiment with glittery looks I'd try a little bit of that glitter hair spray. Just a bit though to make sure it won't rub off the color.
Unread 05-04-2005, 07:13 PM   #69
LadyoftheThread
stitcher of fantasies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosplayerGabi
Check the ingredients in your detangler. If it has any kind of alcohol in it that's why the color comes off. Remember you put on the color with alcohol...and alcohol can take it off too. Mine has a bit in it too and I have to be careful with the amount I use on my dark purple wig.

I thought someone said something about metallics not taking so well. I think if I were going to experiment with glittery looks I'd try a little bit of that glitter hair spray. Just a bit though to make sure it won't rub off the color.
*nod* Yes, I know alcohol will cause the color to bleed. That's why I've avoided using things like hairspray on my dyed wig. I've looked at my bottle of wig detangler but the ingredients list is mostly scientific sounding chemical names. So, I'm not sure if one of them is some form of alcohol. ^_^;;

The glitter wasn't really a requirement. I just thought it would be cool if the wig had some extra shine but just being more yellow is okay.
Next conventions: Anime Boston 2011, Costume Con 29
LadyoftheThread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2005, 07:39 PM   #70
HowlinMadMurphy
what

I don't think dipping the wig in a tub of colored alcohol would work. Definitely stick with spraying.

Here's why: when you dredge it in a tub, that gives any pigments that HAPPEN to stick to the wig fibers a chance to get cleaned right off with the alcohol it's suspended in. (That said, if you dye your wig and don't like it, you can just rinse it off by doing the aforementioned minus the pigment.)

What you're doing with the alcohol in the first place is suspending little bits of pigment in it-- when you spray it, it deposits alcohol and pigment, and when the alcohol evaporates, pigment is all you have left.

The only way I can see gold and silver making wigs "shiny" is if there are little flecks in it, like glitter. Wigs aren't metallic shiny to begin with, so you can't spray on that effect without affecting the texture of the fiber. You can only put on a translucent color. If anything, you'll just get the effect of the underlying pigment of the ink (much like the silver and gold sharpies, you'll get grey and brownish, respectively).
HowlinMadMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2005, 09:42 PM   #71
newmyu
Waiiiiiiiii!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinMadMurphy
I don't think dipping the wig in a tub of colored alcohol would work. Definitely stick with spraying.

Here's why: when you dredge it in a tub, that gives any pigments that HAPPEN to stick to the wig fibers a chance to get cleaned right off with the alcohol it's suspended in. (That said, if you dye your wig and don't like it, you can just rinse it off by doing the aforementioned minus the pigment.)

What you're doing with the alcohol in the first place is suspending little bits of pigment in it-- when you spray it, it deposits alcohol and pigment, and when the alcohol evaporates, pigment is all you have left.

The only way I can see gold and silver making wigs "shiny" is if there are little flecks in it, like glitter. Wigs aren't metallic shiny to begin with, so you can't spray on that effect without affecting the texture of the fiber. You can only put on a translucent color. If anything, you'll just get the effect of the underlying pigment of the ink (much like the silver and gold sharpies, you'll get grey and brownish, respectively).
Actually, I've done this (with sharpie dye, not the acrylic dye) and had I gotten the right mix of color, the wig would have been perfect... the coverage was incredible, and quick, too.

As far as I know, there aren't any gold sharpies, except for the poster paint sharpies. The silver ones WILL make a wig metallic silver, but you have to actually color the wig, mixing it into a dye with alcohol will only give you a dark gray color.

You're right about the whole alcohol-suspension thing though, as well as it removing the pigment too, or at least that's the case with sharpies, and I don't see why it would be different with this ink. Water always seemed to make sharpie dye less likely to stick though, like a lubricant against the alcohol (which makes sense, because I believe alcohol weighs less than water).

Good luck!
newmyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2005, 09:59 PM   #72
HowlinMadMurphy
what

Hm. That's interesting that it worked for you. I did the same but it didn't work for squat. Was the color shift a small one?
I've also tried the silver sharpie on wig fiber. It looks shiny immediately after you color it on, but after it gets moved around and so on the metallicness flakes off and you're left with a grey color. A shiny grey, but not a sparkly, metallic silver.

There are indeed gold sharpies. There are an assload of sharpie colors in my school's bookstore, lots of pastels and odd colors like mustard and gunmetal grey. I made a mental note when I saw the giant rack so that I could custom color with more accuracy later on

The water isn't really a lubrication thing, and alcohol is water soluble (though you're right, it is 'lighter'), I think it's more an issue of well... getting watered down on contact. So yeah, start with a dry wig.
Why put a buffer between your pigment and the wig fiber?
HowlinMadMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2005, 10:04 PM   #73
newmyu
Waiiiiiiiii!!!

Hrm... I want a gold sharpie now.. ;.; Just to play with. I use sharpies like other people use Prismacolors.. ^_^;;; *has GOT to find a place locally that sells individual sharpies!*

EDIT: The wig went from a bright yellow to a really bright lime green.. o.O;;
newmyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2005, 11:32 PM   #74
Angel Tifa
Survivor of Horror 4-ever

Thanks a bunch! I took all the notes in my cosplay journal for future referances. Now I just have one question: can it lighten a darker blue wig to a lighter blue wig?

2008 Cosplay list:
Ada Wong/Resident Evil 2 Completed
Heather Mason/Silent Hill 3 Completed

I claim -Tifa Lockhart/Final Fantasy VII- at the claiming thread
Angel Tifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2005, 11:35 PM   #75
black shinigami

I had dipped my wig in a tray and the wig sucked up the dye easily(infact too well). Well, I think maybe you should leave it to dry for longer, or else just use gold paint and paint it on. Get your hand or brush and brush on some of the colour too.
black shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote