Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 102 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 06-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #736
Fire starter

Hey i was woundering if anyone could help me out, I have the right inks but i'm having trouble finding 70%rubbing alcohol any help where I could find it would be great (also I live in Aus)
Fire starter is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-06-2011, 03:48 PM   #737
KakashiLover
MakaAlbarn

70% Rubing Alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire starter View Post
Hey i was woundering if anyone could help me out, I have the right inks but i'm having trouble finding 70%rubbing alcohol any help where I could find it would be great (also I live in Aus)

Hi I noticed you were looking for help looking for 70% Rubbing Alcohol. You can find it in any drug store. I don't know if you have Walmarts, CVS's, Wallgreens. But most Drug Stores have them. I hope this helps you out some.
Saturday- Lucy Heartfillia from Fairy Tail and Art Book Maka
Sunday- Art Book Maka or Team Magma <3

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...kitaMakaAlbarn
KakashiLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #738
Mikura

Question

Could I bother the good people of this thread for their opinions on what color dyes to buy?

This tutorial is great and I am about to buy some FW ink to dye my white wig for my Klarinette cosplay. Here is a page that shows the character for reference: http://dothack.wikia.com/wiki/Klarinette
I could have it be a tiny bit more blue tinted if I wanted since the color seems a tiny bit different between the game, manga, and other official art. But I need to get as close as I can. This is my first time dying a wig so I am a bit nervous!

I am going to order the ink from this site that is linked in the first post here:
http://www.dickblick.com/products/da...t-artists-ink/

Any suggestions on what colors to get from there and/or how many to order?
I was thinking of mixing the turquoise and white, but should I also mix in a little more light green to achieve the color or would those two get me close?

Thanks so much to anyone who sees this and replies! I am trying to have this done before July 29th for Otakon.
Mikura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #739
MidnightAngelle
Cosplay Newb

i have a question! I'm planning on buying a wig that is blonde because i can't find the length i need in brown the wig is really long so how much ink would i need to use? the wig is 60 inches if that helps any! i just want to know before i even try buying the wig
Xigbar (KH) - 0% complete
Lightning (FFXIII) - 0% complete
Fred Weasley II (HP children) - 0% complete
Alx Carrow (original character) - 20% complete
Kahoko Hino (La Corda D'Oro) - 100% complete

If you know of a good pattern for any of the char's outfit please tell me!
MidnightAngelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #740
Kawaii Pocky
I a shower, not a grower!

I was wondering how would I take a platinum blonde wig that's nearly white looking to dye it into a golden blonde? I don't want it to be electric yellow, but the characters's hair in the anime (Misa Amane) is quote yellowish, but more of a golden blonde.

I wasn't sure what color I would get from that website.
Planned Cosplays 2013:
C.C. - Code Geass (100%)
Akihiko Sanada - Persona 3 (100%)
Lolita - (100%)
Yukiko Alt Color - Persona 3/Persona 4 Arena (planned)
Catherine - Catherine (planned)
Sebastian - Black Butler (planned)
Shiro Lolita - (planned)
Kawaii Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #741
Fire starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KakashiLover View Post
Hi I noticed you were looking for help looking for 70% Rubbing Alcohol. You can find it in any drug store. I don't know if you have Walmarts, CVS's, Wallgreens. But most Drug Stores have them. I hope this helps you out some.
Saddly I don't have any of them here in Aus at least not in QLD and in all of the drug store (and theres been a few) the highest they sell is about 55% rubbing Alcohol. Maybe if someone could tell me a good brand or something I can order it online, its the last thing I can think of.
Fire starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #742
LaPetiteSalope
I approve.

http://www.daler-rowney.com/sitefile...W-acrylics.gif

This is helpful with the swatches (so much better than dickblick's....) Good luck!
LaPetiteSalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #743
ashesofroses

this looks great I'm thinking about doing a cosplay of the Harvest Goddess from the game series Harvest Moon, i decided to go with her aqua-green hair and a white dress but the wig is impossible to find in the right color... Hope this works as well as it looks
ashesofroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #744
tarinalove
alsoknownas Katarini

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...DID =prd53032

Would those dyes work okay? Joann's is my only local store.

https://www.facebook.com/RinaMeowsir
I take commissions, just send me a message. <3
tarinalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #745
Theelfinartist

Hello! I've been reading through some of the comments and have yet to find anyone who has answered a question I have.
How long can you let the alcohol/ink mixture sit in the spray bottle? I wanted to be able to do some dying one day, let it sit, and then continue using the same mix a few days later. Does that work or does the mix go bad?
Theelfinartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 08:56 PM   #746
WaffleKitty101

I see this thread hasn't been commented on in a while and was hoping if someone could help me out ^^;; I have a blonde and brown wig and want to dye it black. Any suggestions on what inks to use to achieve this? I'm worried that it will turn out weird since someone told me black is made up of several different colours and I'm worried about this showing when I add the alcohol.
WaffleKitty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #747
Omi
Dream. Drop. Distance.

Long time no post, but I hope this helps some~ (and hope it is in the right thread)

So I did some tests and went to dye a wig! Worked amazing! I went to make a mixed blonde wig, golden blonde. At first I tried the Liquitex inks and it BARELY tinted the thing. BUT I was trying to use a metallic and it could be because it was not a pure mix that it didn't work. So for those of you looking to get a golden blonde, this may help!

I used Mazuma Gold Pearlescent Ink and it went on just fine!
Here is the color comparison:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...colorFWink.png

The wig is still wet in the photo so that is why it looks "crispy" It dried and is beautiful! =D
Unread 03-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #748
Yeazz
Resident Mr. Fix it

Just used this Method for my Sora wig! I'm hoping it works out
Yeazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #749
Kartos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theelfinartist View Post
Hello! I've been reading through some of the comments and have yet to find anyone who has answered a question I have.
How long can you let the alcohol/ink mixture sit in the spray bottle? I wanted to be able to do some dying one day, let it sit, and then continue using the same mix a few days later. Does that work or does the mix go bad?
There is no reason it should go bad, as long as you keep it sealed and it's not evaporating. That might screw it up, I'm not sure. TBH, even if that happened, adding new alcohol would probably make it the same.

FYI FOR EVERYONE, this is a tinting process. You cannot get super opaque colors with this method. So no, you won't be able to get a true black, no matter what you do! Just buy a black wig.
Kartos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #750
Celiaskyleaf
Skyleaf Creations

okay so has anyone in Ontario Canada, tried this method yet and if so what type of Ink did you use? And were did you find it?
I am trying to change this Platinum Blonde to this Light Blonde the light blonde color works better for my Rainbow Brite cosplay but the Pony Tail I have is in the Platinum Blonde so I need to darken to match the Light Blond wig better!

Anime North 2013
Friday: Me: Undertaker, Wonderland Version-Black Butler, Leslie: Lizzy, Black Butler
Saturday: Me: Farfarello (Straight Jacket)- Weiss Kreuz, Leslie: Neu - Weiss Kreuz
Sunday : Me: C.C.,Past Life Dress - Code Geass, Leslie: Nunnally - Pink Ball Gown - Code Geass
Celiaskyleaf is offline   Reply With Quote