Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 102 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 05-04-2005, 11:48 PM   #76
Space Invader
Sparkle Butt

Never EVER use acrylic PAINT on wigs ;_;. It will make it crispy and flakey and just... no. The only method I've ever heard of working with acrylic paints is to water it down a LOT and comb it through the wig (and continue combing it until it's totally dry). Even then I believe it would still remain a bit crunchy...

I don't really see why people would want metallic wigs anyways O_o. Hair isn't metallic... and if you do want streaks or whatever in it, there's always wigs that have mylar tinsel in them.

{ I N L U M I N O }
Space Invader is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-05-2005, 08:46 PM   #77
Setsuka
No Time Management Skills

^^ well, I've heard the watered-down acrylic method does leave the wig a little crispy. Though not so much that one could tell that you just... painted the wig XD

But anyway, I'm so grateful for this topic and all this info! I'm having some troubles though. I needed to make a light blonde wig a sort of turquoise colour. So la-ti-da I made my dye and spray-spray-spray and got the perfect colour on the wig... after SEVERAL applications. Now I'm out of ink and have barely dyed even half of my (butt-length ^^;;) wig.

I'm using a half cup 99% isopropyl rubbing alcohol with maybe 10 drops of ink. It's very dark in the bottle and when I spray it, the colour comes out of the sprayer nice and thickly but seems to... dissapear and leave only a little darkening. The first spray onto an uncoloured section leaves barely a sheer green X_X

So I'll stop blabbing and just ask: what is indicated here? am I using too strong alcohol? Not enought ink? Should I add black ink? Since Black Shinigami said that her wig sucked up dye TOO easily when dunked into the dye maybe I should try that, as my problem is the reverse?

Sorry for the rambling post X_X Any help would be greatly appreciated^^
Setsuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2005, 11:08 PM   #78
HowlinMadMurphy
what

I know it sucks, but since you already did half the wig, I would just complete it in the same manner. You're not going to get the same results when you start adding black and so on. Actually, I'm sure you could double up on the amount of ink you're using and spray half as much. Just don't start adding other colors.
HowlinMadMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2005, 12:51 AM   #79
(SiN)
Improviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuka
^^ well, I've heard the watered-down acrylic method does leave the wig a little crispy. Though not so much that one could tell that you just... painted the wig XD

But anyway, I'm so grateful for this topic and all this info! I'm having some troubles though. I needed to make a light blonde wig a sort of turquoise colour. So la-ti-da I made my dye and spray-spray-spray and got the perfect colour on the wig... after SEVERAL applications. Now I'm out of ink and have barely dyed even half of my (butt-length ^^; wig.

I'm using a half cup 99% isopropyl rubbing alcohol with maybe 10 drops of ink. It's very dark in the bottle and when I spray it, the colour comes out of the sprayer nice and thickly but seems to... dissapear and leave only a little darkening. The first spray onto an uncoloured section leaves barely a sheer green X_X

So I'll stop blabbing and just ask: what is indicated here? am I using too strong alcohol? Not enought ink? Should I add black ink? Since Black Shinigami said that her wig sucked up dye TOO easily when dunked into the dye maybe I should try that, as my problem is the reverse?

Sorry for the rambling post X_X Any help would be greatly appreciated^^
sounds like to me, that you're not shaking the bottle of ink b4 you add it to your batch.

making cosplays outta trash since 2003!
(SiN) is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2005, 08:00 AM   #80
CosplayerGabi
Shotgun Badass

For to people trying to turn darker wigs into a lighter color:

Think about this. What is a synthetic wig made of? Plastic, very thin plastic...
When they color plastic how do they do it? If they want a uniform color all the way through they add the dye to the plastic while it's still a liquid. So the color is imbedded in the plastic. It will not come out. You can't make a dark plastic into a lighter plastic once it's cooled and hardened unless you melt it again and add more plastic to make it lighter.
Grab a one color plastic cup from your cupboard. If you cut it in half you can see the same color all the way through. You cannot remove that.
Right now we have no methods to remove embedded color from plastic and no sure way to coat a darker wig with a lighter material that doesn't make it crunchy.

In a nutshell, you cannot lighten a darker wig. You always want to start with a lighter base color and then go darker.
Unread 05-06-2005, 08:26 PM   #81
black shinigami

Well, actually when i meant it sucked up the dye easily I meant it SUCKED up the dye easily. As in like, one patch of it, sucking up all the dye(yea, it still drips).

The running out of alco thing happened to me too. What you do is go and buy more and continue spraying, that's what I did anyway. Oh and um..I think you'll need quite alot of bottles too, my back length wig took 2 bottles so I dunno how much your butt length wig will take.
black shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2005, 09:34 AM   #82
novaraven1

[quote=newmyu]There is one major concern (at least, for me) about this product versus sharpie dye. Sharpies are, as most know, non-toxic. The ink you're using (the dickblick stuff) is. That alone is enough for me to avoid it, but I would also be doing most of the dying in my bathroom, which isn't a terribly well ventilated place, even WITH the fan on. The rubbing alcohol is bad enough for a person, but before you expose yourself to this stuff too much, you might email the people at dickblick and ask for a MSDS sheet to see exactly what hazardous stuff is in it.

FYI: Just because a paint or ink says it is non toxic on the label does not mean it actually is completely without toxic chemicals. It just means it will not dammage you immediately. Long term exposure can still lead to a harmful level of toxic build up.

For example:All acrylic paints say non toxic on the label. They will also hurt you if you use them on a daily basis without protection. I am an artist and this is something myself and alot of my friends were not aware of until we went to the safety lecture held by our school. Some of our own teachers have developed health problems because of the materials they work with.

There are different levels and ratings of toxicity. Putting non toxic on a label only means that short term exposure is relatively safe and will not cause immediate physical harm to an average healthy human being. In short, you can eat it and not die. That does not mean you want to have it next to your skin every day for a week without some sort of protection.

Personally, in regards to wig dye, I do not think the dye already on most wigs could be any less toxic than the inks discussed here. There are undoubtedly chemicals already in synthetic wigs and if you are that sensitive and that worried about it then you probably should go build yourself a nice safe bubble somewhere to live in because our world as it is now will always be full of unsafe toxins. There is not an inch of this planet not touched by acid rain. It's the reality of our cancer plagued existence. If you think wearing a pink wig for a weekend will kill you I can do nothing but laugh.
novaraven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2005, 04:05 PM   #83
newmyu
Waiiiiiiiii!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaraven1
FYI: Just because a paint or ink says it is non toxic on the label does not mean it actually is completely without toxic chemicals. It just means it will not dammage you immediately. Long term exposure can still lead to a harmful level of toxic build up.

For example:All acrylic paints say non toxic on the label. They will also hurt you if you use them on a daily basis without protection. I am an artist and this is something myself and alot of my friends were not aware of until we went to the safety lecture held by our school. Some of our own teachers have developed health problems because of the materials they work with.

There are different levels and ratings of toxicity. Putting non toxic on a label only means that short term exposure is relatively safe and will not cause immediate physical harm to an average healthy human being. In short, you can eat it and not die. That does not mean you want to have it next to your skin every day for a week without some sort of protection.

Personally, in regards to wig dye, I do not think the dye already on most wigs could be any less toxic than the inks discussed here. There are undoubtedly chemicals already in synthetic wigs and if you are that sensitive and that worried about it then you probably should go build yourself a nice safe bubble somewhere to live in because our world as it is now will always be full of unsafe toxins. There is not an inch of this planet not touched by acid rain. It's the reality of our cancer plagued existence. If you think wearing a pink wig for a weekend will kill you I can do nothing but laugh.
You know, you're absolutely right that a product labeled as non-toxic CAN contain trace amounts of potentially harmful chemicals. However, exposure to these chemicals, when used normally, tend to stay WELL within safe limits. Hence the reason Sharpies are safe, and considered non-toxic. I'm certainly not telling people to concentrate the contents and inhale to their heart's content. Good grief, use some common sense.

The point I was making is that this ink is known to contain high enough levels of toxic chemicals that it is potentially harmful when used for ANYTHING other than the specific purpose (and in the specific way indicated) on the bottle.

I think you're confused on the differences between differences though. The 'non-toxic' certification means that a product is safe to use in an everyday environment, provided you aren't concentrating it and abusing it. Substances without the non-toxic rating are safe to use for short periods, following specific guidelines. In other words, making wig dye with sharpies and getting it all over your hands is probably not going to cause you any problems unless you're specifically allergic/sensitive to a chemical in Sharpies. The Dickblick ink, on the other hand, IS known to contain significant amounts of toxic chemicals and when made into a wig dye is far more likely to cause people problems if they're in constant contact with it.

As a general rule, wigs when purchased, are not coated with dye. They are simply made of colored, extruded plastic strands, and depending upon the quality of the wig, these strands are different qualities as well. Dying a wig with either type of dye (sharpie or dickblick-based dye) is going to leave a good portion of the original ink chemicals on the wig. Since we know that Sharpies are relatively safe (not 100%...nothing ever is) and we know that Dickblick ink is considered a chemical to be careful with, there is more room for the possibility that the constant exposure associated with wearing a wig dyed with such a chemical is more likely to release larger amounts of potentially dangerous chemicals into the wearer's system.

Now, if you want to laugh about the possibility of someone using a chemical on their wig, completely unaware of its potential hazards, and it ends up causing them problems later on in life, feel free. I hate to say it though, but I don't find it a funny matter. Yes, the world is polluted, cancer abounds, but that's no reason to stop paying attention to what goes in and on your body. Honestly, you'd probably be surprised just how much your skin absorbs the chemicals you are exposed to every day.
newmyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2005, 05:47 PM   #84
purplevix
Daigakusei

Adventures in wid dying with Kitty!

so yeah, don't use Sandford brand Higgins ink the colors' just weird, I'm trying to go green, and when I used the green, it ended up a sickly yellow. I'm going to go through my process so maybe the more experienced can figure out where I went wrong.

Materials:
one bottle of ink
one bottle of alcohol
one dollar store spray bottle
two packs of white silky extensions
one ladder (it'll make sense in a few)
one tub of water
one plastic gloves
one plastic hanger
two rubber bands

So I rubber-banded the extensions to the hanger, and hung it on the cross-bar of a ladder in my backyard (lucky for me both my neighbors have high wooden fences... though they'd prolly just say that the neighbor girl's doing something weird again... but ah well). I first did the 8-drop to 1-cup ratio, and it was a really light yellow. I kept adding more and more ink to progressively less alcohol, until I ended up with the whole bottle to about 6 ounces of alcohol, and it was just a darker shade of the same sickly yellow.

the tub of water was in case I got it on my arms or feet, which were both bare.

I was using 70% ethyl alcohol (it smelled like nail polish remover), but I don't think it made a difference.

I think I've going to have to concoct a combination of blue and yellow (maybe black?) to get the nice dark green I want.

I'm trying to match Amphigory's Crave color, a bright emerald green, for Lettuce of Tokyo Mew Mew

And I want to note, the con's this weekend. (Acen)

If all else fails, I'll grab a bunch of green Sharpies and go to town on it.

Christine

Last edited by purplevix : 05-09-2005 at 05:50 PM.
purplevix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2005, 06:52 PM   #85
Setsuka
No Time Management Skills

Well, after reducing my alcohol to 1/4 cup and upping my ink (which I DID shake^^), I still got crappy results AND my sprayer stopped working!! In a fit of rage (^___^;; *easily angered* NOT GOOD, I know) I dumped all my dye into a little shallow pan and dunked the undyed bangs of the wig in it! I guess this didn't work for others but I got excellent, proper coloured, even coverage, unlike with the sprayer. This was a little messier than the spraying but my ink went a heck of a lot further as well. Now the entire wig is covered, I'm just waiting to rinse it. Phew!
Setsuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2005, 10:07 PM   #86
purplevix
Daigakusei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuka
Well, after reducing my alcohol to 1/4 cup and upping my ink (which I DID shake^^), I still got crappy results AND my sprayer stopped working!! In a fit of rage (^___^;; *easily angered* NOT GOOD, I know) I dumped all my dye into a little shallow pan and dunked the undyed bangs of the wig in it! I guess this didn't work for others but I got excellent, proper coloured, even coverage, unlike with the sprayer. This was a little messier than the spraying but my ink went a heck of a lot further as well. Now the entire wig is covered, I'm just waiting to rinse it. Phew!
I might consider dipping my extensions... any idea what your ratio was?
Unread 05-10-2005, 11:45 AM   #87
Honey Bunny

I was working with another brand of ink myself the other day and although it was clearly purple on the outside, when combined with 90% alcohol it became pink right in the sprayer. So first I'd recommend FW's dye every time because it doesn't change pigments. So here's what I think you should do if you want to go for it again, get FW green and a blue to darken (try to stay within familar colors to the one you're starting with) For example when I wanted a darker purple and didn't like the results with black ink, I used indigo ink and it gave me a true shade of dark purple. The black will show up somewhat in your shade. As always I suggest mixing the ink in a little up first and seeing what shade you'll get, add a couple of drops of alchol and seeing how much it will lighten.

In short other inks (usally in the 2.99 range) will turn completly different colors when mixed with alcohol. And if the color isn't what you want when it's in the sprayer don't spray it.

Last edited by Honey Bunny : 05-10-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Honey Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2005, 11:54 AM   #88
Melfina
Some Sneaky Sim

Honey Bunny, I just wanted to thank you for all your awesome wig dying advice! I got the ink all set for my Yuki wig (gray, purple, and black); now I'm just waiting for the wig to arrive. Thanks so much for your help!
Melfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2005, 09:46 PM   #89
purplevix
Daigakusei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Bunny
I was working with another brand of ink myself the other day and although it was clearly purple on the outside, when combined with 90% alcohol it became pink right in the sprayer. So first I'd recommend FW's dye every time because it doesn't change pigments. So here's what I think you should do if you want to go for it again, get FW green and a blue to darken (try to stay within familar colors to the one you're starting with) For example when I wanted a darker purple and didn't like the results with black ink, I used indigo ink and it gave me a true shade of dark purple. The black will show up somewhat in your shade. As always I suggest mixing the ink in a little up first and seeing what shade you'll get, add a couple of drops of alchol and seeing how much it will lighten.

In short other inks (usally in the 2.99 range) will turn completly different colors when mixed with alcohol. And if the color isn't what you want when it's in the sprayer don't spray it.

thanks for that confirmation, I don't have the time to order it, so I'm going to just attack my extensions with sharpies first thing tomorrow morning

ah well, at least my experience has contributed.... at the cost of nearly 10 bucks...~.~
Unread 05-13-2005, 07:36 PM   #90
*junbei*
leykis 101

I have a platinum blonde wig and I want to make it a little shade darker so it would be more ashy. What color ink should I use? I don't want to change it too drastically.

D.gray crown clown, Old English, Haseo Xth Form
*junbei* is offline   Reply With Quote