Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > CLAMP Series

Unread 04-21-2005, 05:59 AM   #1
Wolf of Hope

Unhappy *Really need help* Someone please help me!?

hey everyone, I really need the help to make Armor from Hikaru's costume, she is from Magic Knights Rayearth. Please help me....I beg all of you! if you need the picture of the costume then go to....
http://www.piczo.com/ZodiacKnights
and go to the Rayearth Page or just click the attacment thingy. (Hikaru is the all red one....)

the new member,
~Wolf of Hope~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg i13121896_21894.jpg (57.4 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Wolf of Hope : 04-22-2005 at 06:00 AM.
Wolf of Hope is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2005, 06:46 PM   #2
Galzley

Try paper machè. Then spray paint it.
Galzley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2005, 07:15 PM   #3
f4lL3N_aZn
n1/\/j4

craft foam covered w/ styrene is an easy solution if yur new to cosplay and don't have a lotta experience with other materials. It's fairly durable and not very expensive.

Best Place Around to Learn How to Do This

~Headband 0%
~Face cover 0%
~Arm covers (camoflage) 0%
~Leg covers (camoflage) 0%
~Pants w/ strap 0%
~Sword 0%
f4lL3N_aZn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2005, 12:19 AM   #4
Hilary
mmm... androgyny

I was also going to suggest the craft foam w/ styrene route! This armor has no sculpting on it, so could just be sheet of slat stuff bent up. For the big jewel, a sawed up christmas ornament, resin casting, or even soap casting shellacked would work.
Hilary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2005, 10:06 AM   #5
Wolf of Hope

Thank you all but what is styrene?
Unread 04-26-2005, 09:28 PM   #6
Amethyst Angel
Hoop Skirt Fetishist

Thin ABS plastic. You can buy sheets of it (larger sheets are used in vacu-forming and smaller ones are used in model-making. I regret my tutorial site is hosed, due to an unforseen and atypical one-day traffic spike and a consequent loss of bandwidth. It should be up again on May 1st.)

Amethyst's Prop Blog
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cosplayer's Prop and Armor Compendium
I'VE NOW GOT STYRENE FOR SALE!!
Check out my NEW ETSY STORE!
Amethyst Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2005, 11:20 PM   #7
Celebrimbor
Banned

So, you're making the final armor then. Good choice.

Anyway, I managed to find a grainy but larger cel photo of the final armor.
http://www.gsoftnet.us/Anime/Hikaru.jpg

Here, is however, a fanart picture that shows everything in better detail, but which I think distorts a couple details.
http://s-sasaji.ddo.jp/img/rayea05.jpg
http://s-sasaji.ddo.jp/img/rayea02h.jpg

I recommend, that you use multiple layers of heavy interfacing and a slightly curved seam running right down the middle of the pauldrons to force them to maintain that shape (if you have trouble picturing that, examine the use of seams on a bra cup), and then attach them to the costume using snaps so they can be removed.

Now, if I was building it though, I'd throw out the whole monopiece costume idea in favor of something more grandiose.

The torso would be spit into two components. A combined skirt/shirt (for lack of better term), an upper torso breastplate, and the pauldrons.

The skirt/shirt would be everything that is black in the picture, and down; it would have as pictured a mandarin collar in black with gold trim. It goes from black to red to white to gold and then ends. But the red on upper torso would be a separate 2 plate piece that you wear over that garment. This would be made of cuir bouilli or just good olde 22 gauge steel. Whatever you use for the plate, you also use for the pauldrons. and you just have the whole thing be connected together with rings at the shoulders, so it splits apart just under the arms.

It wouldn't be totally correct with the artwork, but not totally incorrect either. The dimensions of the final armors aren't very easy to make out in canon art because, well, canon for Rayearth was long, long ago (animation being what it was back then...). The dimensions suggest that Hikaru is wearing two layers starting from the mid torso band of red up to where it ends before the collar. It LOOKS like a second collar, which would be the case if she were wearing plate over another garment.

Last edited by Celebrimbor : 04-27-2005 at 12:11 AM.
Celebrimbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2005, 02:38 PM   #8
fightstar
Kage-Kanbu Master Ninja

Amethyst Angel: We all know we hog your bandwidth, but we love your tutorials. An idea to save the bandwidth is to publish a book. It's not like we wouldn't buy the book it is just a matter of how much time do you have to make it?!

Celebrimbor: Once again an wonderful and detail explanation on cosplay making. I can tell someone is a pro here.
fightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2005, 03:06 AM   #9
Amethyst Angel
Hoop Skirt Fetishist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightstar
Amethyst Angel: We all know we hog your bandwidth, but we love your tutorials. An idea to save the bandwidth is to publish a book. It's not like we wouldn't buy the book it is just a matter of how much time do you have to make it?!
Heh. I think it would be a cool idea to make a cosplay book that deals with all aspects of costuming, not just armor (although many different types of armoring would be covered, if I had my way. It'd be cool if I could get together with Jedi Elf Queen (http://www.jedielfqueen.com/ ) and put together a book, as I think she knows a lot of cheap, but pretty ways of making armor.

One problem with such a book, though - I don't think we'd be able to use licensed characters without permission. So we would probably only be able to feature armor and costumes of original characters...

Amethyst's Prop Blog
The Cosplayer's Prop and Armor Compendium
I'VE NOW GOT STYRENE FOR SALE!!
Check out my NEW ETSY STORE!
Amethyst Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2005, 10:56 AM   #10
Celebrimbor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightstar

Celebrimbor: Once again an wonderful and detail explanation on cosplay making. I can tell someone is a pro here.
This is how I see it being done...

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~cverlo/rayearthArmor.jpg

As you can clearly see, a central jerkin-esque garment with a mandarin collar, which is worn underneath a breastplate with the attached pauldrons (which I see I need to give a slightly more upward bend... hmm... yeah, I definitely need to stretch those, or even make them an integral part of the armor...). I'd color it but that takes time; maybe I'll do it tonight.

Edit:
Yeah, the pauldrons definitely need to rest underneath the plate, not above.
Here is a new version that reflects that change, and shows the behavior of the armor when removed...

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~cverlo/armor2.jpg

Note that this can be done with cardboard just as easily as with metals, and for much less.

2nd Edit:
And this can be done with Milkshape and Photoshop.
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~cverlo/colored.jpg

Last edited by Celebrimbor : 04-28-2005 at 10:56 PM.
Celebrimbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2005, 12:55 PM   #11
Wolf of Hope

Hmmm interesting! Thanks alot ^.^