Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Unread 10-19-2007, 09:25 PM   #1
Baka
The chosen one.....

Causative Cosplay: Redefining and Reclassifing the Stereotype

As you read this thread, I understand you are completely confused. But please read this all the way through, I am trying to make history in the cosplay world. With all of your help of course!!! I am sure you are thinking: What is "Causative Cosplay"? And my answer... Original Character cosplay, redefined. "We" get to define what it is. Many people have made a mockery of original characters... why? Because many times, a person new to anime(newbie) or other person decides to make a cosplay, but maybe gets an accessory or two puts on a few "rags"... no offense to all those cosplay's were this is appropriate, and calls it a "Original Character" That is why it will never become a respected part of the cosplay community, unless we do something about it.

My idea: Get a new name for the "Original Cosplay designs" That do not include the class of cosplay mentioned above.(I have nothing against doing that, its only that I want to make a fine line between real "original costume cosplays" and others) Then promote these type of gatherings at conventions to allow the creativity of individuals run wild... so they can discuss there costumes and ideas with others of a like mind... and not get looked down upon, for not being a "legitimate cosplay."

All of you help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

Welcome to www.Baka87.com
Anime Expo '08 Gatherings
Naruto
Bleach

Are you going to Anime Expo 2008? If so CLICK HERE
Baka is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-19-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Lawlz.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2007, 06:52 AM   #3
Bluce Ree
The man they call...James

So let me get this straight, you want to create a new genre of cosplay? Original characters with proper thought and attention to detail, without the costume just being something that's thrown together?
Bluce Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

I like this idea (if I understand correctly ) to be able to design a cosplay as extreme as something in anime or a video game, but completely new and original and from one's own imagination I wish I wasn't so busy or I'd start my original cosplay right now xD
Xavietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2007, 10:59 AM   #5
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

I'm all for letting creativity run wild as well as preferring well-made costumes (whether original designs or not). I like the idea of having get-togethers, photo shoots, panels, whatever, at cons specifically for people doing original designs.

A couple of things it makes me think about - When someone says "original design" I don't automatically think "original character". You can make a original design that you think is something an existing character would wear. This is what anyone who is cosplaying a character from a non-moviefied book is doing. Or you can do an original design for a non-specific character like your basic elf/fairy/animal. Or you can do an "original character" for an anime/manga that doesn't necessarily require a completely original design - say, an FMA military character. Finally there is an "original character" that is completely original from a story you have written with a costume that you have designed that is not based on anything else.

So I guess, it depends on whether you want to focus on the originality of the costume design, or the originality of the character or whether both are equally important.

Lastly - I have no idea why this would be called "causative cosplay"! Though I don't have any better suggestions! I have to admit that it did make me read the thread because I thought, "What the hell is causative cosplay?"
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2007, 01:00 AM   #6
Baka
The chosen one.....

Exactly... You guys are getting me!!! This would include original characters, based off of a anime or of your own personal design.(That pays attention to detail and is a "serious" cosplayer.) I didn't say perfect, but I want to make a fine line between the cosplayers that put fourth real effort and people that give our type of cosplayers a bad name. That is why the stereotype exist in the first place. We could brainstorm another name for this "idea" I have. I only named it "Casuative Cosplay" as a starting point to get our ideas together. "Casuative" is just another word for "original" A japanese name might work nicely?!?!?

Naruto
Bleach

Unread 10-21-2007, 10:10 PM   #7
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

This is pretty much exactly the kind of costuming that's been flourishing at science fiction conventions and costume conventions for decades... no need to put another name on it.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2007, 12:13 AM   #8
Baka
The chosen one.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koumori View Post
This is pretty much exactly the kind of costuming that's been flourishing at science fiction conventions and costume conventions for decades... no need to put another name on it.
I guess you didn't understand the reason I want to rename it. Its not to call the same thing by another name. It is so that it can gain the proper respect and be accepted as a official form of cosplay without being ridiculed, due to many of the stereotypes that have been affiliated with it.

Naruto
Bleach

Unread 10-22-2007, 06:26 AM   #9
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koumori View Post
This is pretty much exactly the kind of costuming that's been flourishing at science fiction conventions and costume conventions for decades.
You are right about that, of course. If giving it a different name helps draw attention to it in the anime con world though I wouldn't mind. The word "cosplay" came out of anime costuming yet, I would argue, that "regular" cosplay itself is not fundamentally different from what the sci-fi and fantasy people have been doing for, as you point out, decades.

Another thing that comes to mind though is something that Dizzy Guymelef brought up in the poll thread on this topic regarding original designs not being allowed in masquerades. I know that the big SF/F con in my area has separate awards for original design and re-creation. I don't see that happening anytime soon at anime cons. I'd be happy to hear from others (like Koumori) who have experience running and staffing masqs about their thoughts.

Also, Baka, I'd be interested to hear what your ideas are for generating interest in this. As has been discussed in a number of threads (this one in particular http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=114020), working to improve the overall quality of costuming in cosplay (whether original designs or re-creations) seems to be an uphill battle. Not that we shouldn't try! And the more discussion on it the better!

Last edited by The Hag : 10-22-2007 at 06:37 AM.
Unread 10-22-2007, 07:44 AM   #10
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Another thing that comes to mind though is something that Dizzy Guymelef brought up in the poll thread on this topic regarding original designs not being allowed in masquerades. I know that the big SF/F con in my area has separate awards for original design and re-creation. I don't see that happening anytime soon at anime cons. I'd be happy to hear from others (like Koumori) who have experience running and staffing masqs about their thoughts.
Rather than hijacking this thread, there's an excellent ongoing thread in the masquerade/skit section about issues like that: http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=114020

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Unread 10-22-2007, 08:02 AM   #11
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Oh - not trying to hijack the thread! ^_^ To clarify - my point was that for some people competing in masquerades is a large part of the their enjoyment of cosplay. So if original designs/characters are not allowed to compete that would, I imagine, discourage some people from putting time and effort into an original creation. For someone, like Baka, trying to encourage original designs, that's an issue to be addressed. I know that at Anime Boston masquerade entries must be characters that originate from a Japanese manga, anime or video game. I interpret that as not allowing original characters (and again, we get into the fuzzyness between original character and original design). But I don't know if that is standard for anime conventions or not. Thus, my interest in hearing from other people with more experience. True there is overlap with this topic in the other thread, but I'll try to keep my comments here focused on how masq rules/expectations apply to original designs or "Causative Cosplay" as Baka has named it! ^_^
Unread 10-22-2007, 10:57 AM   #12
shaowebb
Never Give Up

So this is basically "Competitive Orginal Concept" art projects.

Pick a game or anime with certain outfit themes and characteristics.

Make a totally original design based off of these characteristics that is fairly artistic and has some depth to its designs (say an Amano syle onion knight or a new sin themed character for FMA utilizing concepts like automail).

Make these cosplays and compete with them like an art competition category for best original design.
Unread 10-22-2007, 11:21 AM   #13
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Oh - not trying to hijack the thread! ^_^ To clarify - my point was that for some people competing in masquerades is a large part of the their enjoyment of cosplay. So if original designs/characters are not allowed to compete that would, I imagine, discourage some people from putting time and effort into an original creation. For someone, like Baka, trying to encourage original designs, that's an issue to be addressed. I know that at Anime Boston masquerade entries must be characters that originate from a Japanese manga, anime or video game. I interpret that as not allowing original characters (and again, we get into the fuzzyness between original character and original design). But I don't know if that is standard for anime conventions or not. Thus, my interest in hearing from other people with more experience. True there is overlap with this topic in the other thread, but I'll try to keep my comments here focused on how masq rules/expectations apply to original designs or "Causative Cosplay" as Baka has named it! ^_^
Oh no, I meant so *I* didn't hijack the thead. My understanding is that "cosplay" is primarily a recreation environment, which is why original costumes are usually not allowed on stage at strictly cosplay events-- it's to keep a more level playing field. If 90% of the competitors are reproducing costumes from media sources, and 10% are not, it's impossible to judge them all using the same criteria. Typically at sci-fi and other cons and competitions, recreations and original designs are both allowed and encouraged, because original designs/concepts have been a very solidly ingrained part of that costuming culture and both have always been welcome side by side. Costume-Con even has separate masquerades for sci-fi/anime/fantasy and historical recreations, because those are completely different audiences with different goals and standards for judging.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Unread 10-22-2007, 12:45 PM   #14
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaowebb View Post
Make these cosplays and compete with them like an art competition category for best original design.
I'm not sure that the OP's idea was focused on a competition. I got the sense that it was more trying to gather like-minded people and promote the idea that original cosplays can be just as fun and well-done as re-creation cosplays.

As far as competitions with original designs, Koumori seems to be comfirming what I'd thought which is that masquerades at anime cons are almost exclusively for re-creations. And she makes a good point - how can you judge them together when the criteria will be different? Given that most cons are having to cap entry numbers already, I can't see them holding slots or having a second competition with a second set of judges for original designs. Based on the little experience that I have with local costumers, I think that cosplayers interested in competing their original anime/manga style designs would find a more immediate outlet at the costume and sci-fi fantasy cons. The people that I've talked to really don't seem to care about genre. And frankly, most of anime and manga is sci-fi/fantasy.

Having said that though, I do like the idea of trying to bring this influence to the anime cons. It may not be a huge part of cosplay in the near future (or maybe ever) but seeing as how many people write and draw their own manga and web comics, adding a cosplay aspect to that doesn't seem like too much of a stretch. Character design is character design, whether it's for a game, a comic or a costume, right?
Unread 10-22-2007, 11:45 PM   #15
Baka
The chosen one.....

This type of cosplay is what we decide to make it. If we want to lean towards something in particular let me know and we can discuss it. But, in theory I want to take something that is already done, and motivate interest in it by renaming it and ridding it of a particular stereotypes. If it should include competitions, lets do it! Anything so that we can promote interest in "Causative Cosplay"

Naruto
Bleach