Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 77 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 08-27-2010, 11:49 PM   #1531
shotzgoboom
Sasha

Looking good so far, Hotaru!

Quote:
for those who have made a Kyoshi warrior costume, how many inches did you make the width measurement of how much longer the inner skirt/hakama is than the outer robe?
I don't think mine was much more than two inches longer, really.
shotzgoboom is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-30-2010, 10:36 AM   #1532
Hotaru230
has healthy scepticism

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotzgoboom View Post
Looking good so far, Hotaru!

I don't think mine was much more than two inches longer, really.
thanks <3

I eneded up making it 5-6 inches mainly because I needed the material to make the
sleeves longer. I'm not sure how it all looks together yet though.

costumes for this year: Ron (red version of Len Vocaloid), Neru (Vocaloid), Sakura (Card Captors), Kinon (post time skip gurren lagenn), One Piece villian, Miss Mary Marvel,
Mystique (XMEN), Cassandra (Soul Calibur III)

Planned Cons of 2010:
Freecon
A-kon (a big maybe)
DragonCon
EXPcon
Hotaru230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #1533
thinkgirlthink

Thank you guys for the help! Also, sorry for the late response.

I think I'm gonna scrap the foamies armor - there just are a lot of reasons why it's not working.
@shotzgoboom, it looks like you used a leather or something. Would you share what you did for that?

EDIT:
Wow. /fails. I went to go look at your profile and it said it right there. Heeeeeeoops.

Last edited by thinkgirlthink : 09-03-2010 at 01:22 PM.
thinkgirlthink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 07:58 AM   #1534
Korinchan
Not a bumblebee

Yay! It's great to see so many new Avatar cosplays! This is such a great fandom. Anyways, I managed to finish up a Kyoshi Warrior Suki cosplay recently, and I'd love to know what you guys think. ^^ http://www.cosplay.com/costume/310027/

Reading through a couple pages, I noticed some people asking about how to make a Toph wig. What I did was basically build the wig from the bottom up. Start with a styrofoam base for her bun. Figure out how big you want to make it, then paint it black. It's going to be covered in extensions, and it's easier (and cheaper) to have the base the same color as your fibers. There are two things you can do at this point: 1.) attach that to a short wig and cover the gap with extensions so that it doesn't just look like you glued a bun onto a wig or 2.) (which is what I did) take an old wig and cut all of the hair off of it so that you're left with just the netting. Glue your 'bun' to the netting and cover the entire thing from front to back in extensions. This is super time consuming, but you get a great result from it! Hopefully that helps some! A lot of the time, figuring stuff like this out is a TON of trial and error. ^^'

Friday - Tomoyo - Tsubasa-RC, Toph - A:TLA
Saturday - Cephalos - Monster Hunter concept art, Goku - Dragon Ball
Sunday - Washu - Tenchi Muyo
Korinchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2010, 09:37 PM   #1535
MythrilDragon
Psy...duck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korinchan View Post
Yay! It's great to see so many new Avatar cosplays! This is such a great fandom. Anyways, I managed to finish up a Kyoshi Warrior Suki cosplay recently, and I'd love to know what you guys think. ^^ http://www.cosplay.com/costume/310027/

Reading through a couple pages, I noticed some people asking about how to make a Toph wig. What I did was basically build the wig from the bottom up. Start with a styrofoam base for her bun. Figure out how big you want to make it, then paint it black. It's going to be covered in extensions, and it's easier (and cheaper) to have the base the same color as your fibers. There are two things you can do at this point: 1.) attach that to a short wig and cover the gap with extensions so that it doesn't just look like you glued a bun onto a wig or 2.) (which is what I did) take an old wig and cut all of the hair off of it so that you're left with just the netting. Glue your 'bun' to the netting and cover the entire thing from front to back in extensions. This is super time consuming, but you get a great result from it! Hopefully that helps some! A lot of the time, figuring stuff like this out is a TON of trial and error. ^^'
That's a really nice Suki cosplay! I hope the one I'm trying to make comes out nicely too; so far I have the main skirt and robe parts of it done (which I'm very happy with) but I have to make the dreaded armor. I have some material that seems like it'll work pretty well, though
I also love the makeup on your costume. Out of curiosity, what brand did you use?
MythrilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #1536
makeshiftwings

Hi all I've been working hard on my Fire Nation Toph cosplay, and have a couple tutorials so far. I'll be making one for her shoes too!

Fire Nation bracelets:
http://ravenhedgehog.deviantart.com/#/d2xjng1
Toph wig:
http://ravenhedgehog.deviantart.com/#/d2z3g24

Hope these help someone out!
AFO - Possessed Wander (Friday); Earth Kingdom Toph with Fire Nation Cloak (Saturday & Sunday)
Dragon*con - Toph Bei Fong (Sunday)

Planned Cosplays

Okami Amaterasu (Planning) [Completion Date: ???]
makeshiftwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 07:57 AM   #1537
han-pan

-wanders in-

I am going to attempt to put together a Katara costume in just a couple of days.....I'm not sure how this will turn out but I hope it'll be good xD

Edit: what do you guys think about the bottom white part on Katara's costume during book 2? The one that is very similar to the outfit from the first book, only minus the long sleeves underneath. I feel like the bottom edging white part is fuzzy, even though the rest if the white trim (around her neck and waist) looks flat. What do you think? I fear it'd look weird to do that irl.

Guess what, Japanime costume players....
YOU'RE NOT THE ENTIRETY OF THE COSPLAY WORLD.
Stop being so closeminded. Just because someone cosplays doesn't mean they're an otaku or a weeaboo.

In Progress: Super Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon

Last edited by han-pan : 10-04-2010 at 10:10 AM.
han-pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 12:19 PM   #1538
harmonyisarine

I think you're right, that the bottom trim is fuzzy. I can see it being done and looking okay, but it would take a lot of time finding cloth and fur that would match well enough to really pull it off. It would be a lot easier to just make it a flat trim like the rest.

In other news, I've got my Zuko cosplayer coming up this weekend and we're going to do a fall photoshoot! He's been studying up on how to use his excessively fancy camera, and I've been studying up on posing. Here's hoping I get my resin props made in time and that the leaves stop their stubborn greenness and get pretty.
harmonyisarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #1539
han-pan

I decided on fleece for the bottom trim, and the same fabric for the top trim. It looks pretty good so far. Slightly fuzzy, not a lot, and exactly the same color ^^

ooooOOOOOooo! That's exciting Harmony!

xD Another question.
Sometimes the white part over the chest goes down to the waist. Like so: http://www.testriffic.com/resultfiles/19196katara.jpg
Sometimes it goes to the side seam, across the top of the bust. Like so: http://airbendergear.com/wp-content/...12/katara1.png

Ummmm...wtf? Is there any real continuity to this? Does it matterrrrrr....?

Stop being so closeminded. Just because someone cosplays doesn't mean they're an otaku or a weeaboo.

Unread 10-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #1540
makeshiftwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by han-pan View Post
I decided on fleece for the bottom trim, and the same fabric for the top trim. It looks pretty good so far. Slightly fuzzy, not a lot, and exactly the same color ^^

ooooOOOOOooo! That's exciting Harmony!

xD Another question.
Sometimes the white part over the chest goes down to the waist. Like so: http://www.testriffic.com/resultfiles/19196katara.jpg
Sometimes it goes to the side seam, across the top of the bust. Like so: http://airbendergear.com/wp-content/...12/katara1.png

Ummmm...wtf? Is there any real continuity to this? Does it matterrrrrr....?
Aren't these from 2 different seasons? If so, they're different outfits (I think).
AFO - Possessed Wander (Friday); Earth Kingdom Toph with Fire Nation Cloak (Saturday & Sunday)
Dragon*con - Toph Bei Fong (Sunday)

Planned Cosplays

Okami Amaterasu (Planning) [Completion Date: ???]
makeshiftwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #1541
han-pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeshiftwings View Post
Aren't these from 2 different seasons? If so, they're different outfits (I think).
Yes, they are. I hope that's what it is. xD

Unread 10-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #1542
harmonyisarine

Those are two different outfits, but I've found that, gorgeous as the animation is, Avatar is not the most consisten. ^_^ Do what you think looks best. I made a blend of the three water tribe outfits and had the top go across the bust to the side seam. (Sokka's went to the waist. It was a lot easier to keep in place than mine.)
Unread 10-07-2010, 07:43 AM   #1543
han-pan

Thanks. I decided to do it to the waist, cuz it was easy xD

I finished my pants last night, and my arm warmer thingies. I sewed the necklace and waistband, now I just have to add velcro to the waistband and add the pendant to the necklace and I'll be done!

edit:
Hmm. I think the waist band will have to be re-done at some point in time. But for now, I'll leave it be. P:

crappy sideways picture....GO!
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/8...1007162223.jpg

Last edited by han-pan : 10-07-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Unread 10-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #1544
harmonyisarine

Nice! And crazy-fast, too. ^_^ To the waist was a good choice.

I've made Zuko's fire daggers and lightning for Azula out of polyester resin! It worked out just as aweosmely as I'd hoped, and better than I'd expected. Sadly, I have to wait for tomorrow to take them all out of their molds.
Unread 10-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #1545
han-pan

Thanks! Lol. I hope it enjoys the convention scene with how unbelievably comfortable it is o.o three only way I can figure having it go tou the side and stay would be to have it zip up. that'd be really firm!

Ooohhhh im excited to seee! I love resin casying but im too much the wimp to ever try xD I just make stuff outta airdry clay.