Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 92 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 11-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #1666
candyintherain

Thank you!! I just got the photos from my photoshoot back and I'm so excitedddd! Tayyy-chan, you look adorable in your Mai wig!
candyintherain is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-19-2011, 08:19 PM   #1667
Tayyy-chan
Team Zuko!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_dreaming View Post
Well, I've decided, I'm finally going to start on my Ursa costume after the holidays. Not sure yet what her first con will be, but I can't wait to have Ursa in my costume wardrobe!
That's awesome! I'm excited to see your Ursa cosplay. It's great to see people cosplaying the parents of Team Avatar. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyintherain View Post
Thank you!! I just got the photos from my photoshoot back and I'm so excitedddd! Tayyy-chan, you look adorable in your Mai wig!
Thank you! I love my wig, I'm glad it looks good! >w<
Tayyy-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2011, 10:17 PM   #1668
tereshkova2001

I just bought all the fabric to make Zuko's end-of-season-3 outfit. I'm also going to be making leather armor to go over it.
*dance*
tereshkova2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2011, 11:39 PM   #1669
silent_dreaming
Oh, huzzah!

Ooo, leather armour! That's going to look fantastic! Can't wait to see how it turns out.
-Shuurei - Saiunkoku Monogatari - 15%
-Izayoi - Inuyasha - 10%

2012 Convention Plans

TrekCon Vegas - Las Vegas, NV
AnimeFEST - Dallas, TX

~~Cosplay Blog~~ last updated June 6, 2012

DeviantART Facebook Twitter
silent_dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 04:58 PM   #1670
Tayyy-chan
Team Zuko!

I can't wait to see your Zuko outfit! : D I want to make Mai's outfit from the end of Season 3...but I have to make her Beach outfit first. One thing before adding more to my list. o__o

I should be getting fabric tomorrow. >:/ I hate that I can't decide on a color for her over skirt. Screenshots I've found online have it looking like an orange-red, but on my television it looks like it's a bright red. D':
I might go with bright red, though. I hate orange. :|
Unread 11-28-2011, 11:04 PM   #1671
Simetra
Weapon Master :D

A quick (hopefully) question: I'm going to crossplay Zuko next year and want to do his armour from book 3 (like tereshkova2001) since it looks awesome. My problem is, I'm a weapons girl: they're easier and make more sense when i make them then when sewing (because i suck at sewing). So I've decided i'm making Zuko's double dao swords (from blue spirit days etc). It isn't technically wrong, you just never see them together. I'm halfway through making them and kind of started wondering how i'm going to wear the scabbard. He generally wears it over his shoulder, but he never wears it with armour, so my question is: should i make a strap to wear it over my shoulder (and armour) like he does, or just make some configuration and sturdier belt and hook it up to that? Thanks for your thoughts, in advance.
Simetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #1672
tereshkova2001

I'd probably make a shoulder strap that's adjustable, so you can wear it either with the armor or without it. A belt scabbard wouldn't look quite right, in my opinion.
Unread 12-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #1673
harmonyisarine

I can't believe I forgot to post this! I finally got my nice Zuko pics uploaded. He got out to a Japanese garden with an experienced cosplay friend and a fantastic photographer friend. Sadly, I was too busy to join. The story is pages back, but the short version is the staff of the garden loved the costume so much, they let him into a room that guests normally can't go in. It looked fantastic!

They're all in my gallery here (not here yet cause he's lazy).
harmonyisarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 01:21 AM   #1674
TinTango

Your Zuko pics are awesome! Love the night time firebending.

Also, I wanted to post my Uncle Iroh pics... it's the first costume I've made myself, and also
first wig I've worn.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3087434/
TinTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #1675
harmonyisarine

Fantastic Iroh! There needs to be more Iroh cosplays, he's such a marvelous character.
Unread 12-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #1676
tereshkova2001

Say, could I get folks' opinion on armor design? As I said, I'm working on Zuko's royal armor in leather.

The shoulder piece I can make out of water-hardened leather, with lacing so I can get in and out of it. My real concern is the skirt-like piece. It can't be hardened leather, or he wouldn't be able to move. It could be thick fabric, but that's not very protective. Historical Japanese armor is lamellar, or made of a bunch of small leather plates laced together. Chinese armor used interestingly shaped metal scales sewn onto fabric. (It's called mountain scale, because the plates look like the character for mountain.)
Now, check out this replica of a Beijing Opera costume for an Emperor. Doesn't his shoulder piece look just like Fire Lord Ozai's? And his skirting, covered with those fancy metal scales, looks a lot like Zuko's in shape.

So my question is, if I were to make elaborate scale mail for Prince Zuko and add some decoration to his shoulder piece, would that still read as Zuko? Will increasing the realism make it less like the animated series and thus less recognizable? Or should I just use single flat colors, the way the screencap does?
Thanks!
Unread 12-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #1677
silent_dreaming
Oh, huzzah!

I, personally, love seeing more elaborate versions of anime/cartoon characters. I love the added realism, and how the costumer interprets the design to give it more life.
I would LOVE to see a more 'realistic' Zuko. I think that it will still read Zuko, just upgraded. Definitely stick with historical Chinese styles for the Fire Nation, the clothes are pretty spot on when you look hanfu designs.
-Shuurei - Saiunkoku Monogatari - 15%
-Izayoi - Inuyasha - 10%

2012 Convention Plans

TrekCon Vegas - Las Vegas, NV
AnimeFEST - Dallas, TX

~~Cosplay Blog~~ last updated June 6, 2012

DeviantART Facebook Twitter
silent_dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #1678
Tayyy-chan
Team Zuko!

I agree with silent_dreaming, although I do know some ATLA cosplayers that dislike added realism. However, I think it would look amazing with Zuko's armor. As long as your scar is done well, and your armor looks good, I think people will love it, as well as recognize you. I can't wait to see your finished product.

All this talk makes me wanna get home now, and Finish Mai so I can make my Kyoshi warrior mock up. >B| My Sokka bought our silk, and I'm waitin for her to dye it.
Unread 12-22-2011, 07:37 PM   #1679
harmonyisarine

The fantastic thing about Avatar is that a lot of the designs are historically accurate to one area or another. The shape is so similar, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Bryke had researched Chinese armor and simplified it to aid in animation.

I'd say (knowing how tedious even making simple things in leather can end up) go for the fancy one, if you have the patience. ^_^ If you detail the skirt that much, though, make sure you make the rest of it more detailed, too. Keep the color scheme and shapes and a very elaborate and detailed one will still read as Zuko. ^_^
Unread 12-24-2011, 11:58 AM   #1680
tereshkova2001

Thanks for the encouragement, all! I'm still looking for good historical references; the shoulder plate seems to be created mostly from scratch and not based on a Chinese design. By rights, all his armor should be metal scales sewn to fabric, but that would be too flexible for what's shown on screen.
Sheesh.