Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.92 average.
Unread 04-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #1696
touchmon
Make All The Things!

I'm planning on cosplaying Korra for next year and I'm hoping I can get my friends to cosplay with me so we can have a group. Question though, what is everyone using in terms of fabric for Korra's top and arm bands? And what about the hair pieces?

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #1697
harmonyisarine

We have at least two and maybe four people for a Korra group for Otakon, if I can find a way to afford the con badge.

The way her top clings, it's definitely got to be a fabric with stretch in it. I did some research and found out that the jersey weave was made in medieval times, but wasn't worn as anything other than underwear until 1917. Coincidentally, Korra is set in a 1920's-esque time. Between that and the fact that I'm a detail freak, I'm using a wool jersey for her top. It will cling like hers does, but it will still have the wool look that I think fits water tribe clothes. For people with more sense than me, however, a cotton jersey would work.

That's as far as I've gotten, unless you wanted to use tooled leather for her armbands (which I'm guessing is a no...).
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #1698
nikkiolie

I am super excited to start working on Azula again. I got the costume over half way done this time last year and got bored and moved on to something else. This year I am going to finish so I don't lose a bet (that I wont change my cosplay plans at all after I set them). I just need to sew the lining for my dress and attach it to the other part, remake the mantle since I used my old one for Deedlit, finish the boots, make the bracers and the belt.

The bracers and belt will maybe take an hour or two. Sewing the lining will take a second but it will take a little longer to actually attach it to the outside of the dress. I also need to get a wig. A wig store here in Portland has a lace front black wig that will be perfect for her.
nikkiolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #1699
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonyisarine View Post

The way her top clings, it's definitely got to be a fabric with stretch in it. I did some research and found out that the jersey weave was made in medieval times, but wasn't worn as anything other than underwear until 1917. Coincidentally, Korra is set in a 1920's-esque time. Between that and the fact that I'm a detail freak, I'm using a wool jersey for her top. It will cling like hers does, but it will still have the wool look that I think fits water tribe clothes. For people with more sense than me, however, a cotton jersey would work.

That's as far as I've gotten, unless you wanted to use tooled leather for her armbands (which I'm guessing is a no...).
Well that makes sense to me. I might go with cotton though since wool sounds like it might get really hot in that since all my cons are pretty much in the summer time. >_> I'm thinking about just making fabric armbands since I've never used leather before. Also what kind of pattern are you using for that top?

I'm also thinking doing some embroidery for the band she wears on her upper arm. Lol, I think I'm just a glutton for punishment.

Oh and I've bee trying to figure it out, what's the blue thing under her leather-furred skirt-like thing? Is there any scene where she wears it by itself?

Quote:

Last edited by touchmon : 05-01-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Unread 05-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #1700
harmonyisarine

I had a wool tunic/robe for Katara at Otakon, and as long as your arms and legs are free, it's not so bad. The really nasty thing about the wool jersey is the price. It's usually way more than cotton, for only a bit of a different look. As for pattern, I tend to draft my own, sorry. I'd go and look for a pattern for one of those fitted Chinese tops, and just alter it so that there's not the crossover piece in the front. Other than that, it's got the snug fit and the collar.

Embroidery will be absolutely beautiful for the upper arm band. I'm doing leatherwork since it's what I know. I'm still not sure of how exactly I'm going to pattern it, but that'll come.

I haven't gone ref hunting yet, but I'm pretty sure that piece is just a single panel with a pointed hem. I'm just going to attach it to its own waistband and tie it on, I think.
Unread 05-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #1701
Garen
unapologetic yorozuya

Putting in my two bits on the subject of waist-wraps:

From what I've seen, they generally seem to be attached to people's pants, as some sort of fastening mechanism. How it works, I haven't a clue.
"Give it your best shot if you think it's worth it, so if you fail it won't be for lack of trying. If it's not worth your best shot, then why bother?"

Sewing commissions are on hold, but I still do custom pattern-drafting. PM for details.

Katsucon:
Natsu (Fairy Tail), Alibaba (Magi), modern!Kili (The Hobbit)

AnimeBoston:
Yuri (ToV), Allen Avadonia (Evillious Chronicles), Yukimura (SDK)
Garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #1702
sandysaur

I really want to cosplay Korra at some point in the future, and the one thing that I've really gotten stuck on is the hair band things. I don't even get how to do the back ponytail ;o;
How have other people done their wigs and hair band sort of things?
Unread 05-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #1703
touchmon
Make All The Things!

I found a tutorial online that showed how to make them with PVC pipe.

Quote:

Unread 05-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #1704
DPWolf

I'm in the midst of working on my Korra costume, if anything it'll be done this summer since I can only work on it when I'm home. Goal is to do a photoshoot with my dog, who I recently finished Naga's harness for.

(rest of the images can be seen here)

I'm planning to get back into shape for this one too, since last year I had about the exact same build as Korra, but due to the lack of an accessible gym at college I've lost a fair amount of muscle mass.

2012 Conventions/Events
Star Wars Celebration VI
Star Wars Reads Day
NYCC
Toys on the Hudson

Last edited by DPWolf : 05-08-2012 at 07:28 PM.
DPWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #1705
sandysaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmon View Post
I found a tutorial online that showed how to make them with PVC pipe.
That's super cool, PVC is such a good idea, thanks!
Have you figured out what wig you're going to get yet? I had kind of thought of the Jasmine from Arda, but I'm not sure that the pieces that hang on the side of her face will work with it.
Unread 05-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #1706
harmonyisarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPWolf View Post
I'm in the midst of working on my Korra costume, if anything it'll be done this summer since I can only work on it when I'm home. Goal is to do a photoshoot with my dog, who I recently finished Naga's harness for.

I'm planning to get back into shape for this one too, since last year I had about the exact same build as Korra, but due to the lack of an accessible gym at college I've lost a fair amount of muscle mass.
Adorable! My friends were joking that I needed to make a harness for my absurdly large golden retriever, but I hadn't planned on it. After seeing how awesome yours looks, though...

I've also been working out for Korra. I managed to keep my dancer's physique for years (which means I'd need a bit more arm work, but that was it) until I got sick for a year and gained a lot of weight. It's finally coming off, and now I need to stop slacking and seriously start doing my resistance training. Yay, Korra! Inspiring people back to the gym!
Unread 05-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #1707
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPWolf View Post

That is so cute. *_*. I wish I had a pet so I could do that. And I wish I could get the muscle mass for Korra. >_>. The chance of it happening are slim though so I guess I'll be a skinny avatar. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysaur View Post
That's super cool, PVC is such a good idea, thanks!
Have you figured out what wig you're going to get yet? I had kind of thought of the Jasmine from Arda, but I'm not sure that the pieces that hang on the side of her face will work with it.
I'm actually planning on using my real hair for this her because I know it is thick enough to hold up the PVC pipe, sorry. :/ And I think it is possible to use the Jasmine. Just do some clever styling for the front parts.

Quote:

Unread 05-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #1708
DreamKitty
Living the Dream.

Hope this hasn't been asked too much, but I was wondering if anyone had made Zuko's swords / sheath before and could offer some advice? I'm currently working on my Zuko for Anime North, and I have enough time left to make the props.
I've never made cosplay props before, but my roommate is pretty good at it and willing to help me (thank god).

If anyone has a tutorial or anything that they could link me too, that would be great. I've looked for a while now and I can't seem to unearth one anywhere. D;

Come visit my cosplay page~ DreamKitty Cosplay
DreamKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #1709
Simetra
Weapon Master :D

I made zuko's swords: 2 6mm pieces of wood cut out for the blades, making sure to leave a finger of wood at the base to glue into the handle, a round piece of dowel shaped to a curve, cut in two and then chisel out a sliver for the finger of the blades to slide into for the handle. For the guard i got a bigger piece of dowelling, cut it in half length ways and cut out a bit so it would wrap around the finger at the base of the blade. Then just glued it all together, painted it with copper and silver leaf paint and wrapped the handle with material.

It's kind of hard to understand, so i hope it helps. Otherwise i can try and put some pics up for you. Have fun being zuko though! you get to scowl all day.
Planned Cosplays: Ember Island Players Ty Lee (Avatar), Ma Chao (DW7), Brienne (GoT), Adult Toph (Avatar), Daria, Some surprise ones?
Simetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #1710
DreamKitty
Living the Dream.

Great, thanks for the help! If you could pop up some pics for me, that would be amazing. I think I get the idea of what you're saying from your instructions though. :3

Ahaha. Yeah, I'm kinda looking forward to not having to smile all day. xD

Come visit my cosplay page~ DreamKitty Cosplay
DreamKitty is offline   Reply With Quote