Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 92 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 08-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #1786
heaven_firings

I think you're color preference is fine. The uniform does look darker in the show, plus I don't imagine a military force having a vibrant uniform anyway. Whenever I get around to General Iroh II I plan on using a more wine red color.

Gabardine I think should be okay, I have a Vampire Knight uniform made out of that. It's a more flowy material though so you might look at some other fabric for a military uniform. Military is usually a little more I dunno stiff maybe? Not sure how to describe it but you could always starch a scrap piece and see how that looks/feels.

@ Izaya: You're Lin looks amazing. I can't wait to see it at San Japan.
heaven_firings is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #1787
harmonyisarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaxCore View Post
So, I've started working on Commander Bumi and I was looking... and it seems to be a dark red/burgundy color, but the few people I've seen use a brighter red... so now I'm wondering if I should just stick to the more canon color or just use the same color everyone else did?

Also, I was at a bit of a loss as to what to use for the trim. Bias tape? Or should I just use fabric? Here's a picture for reference just in case :P

Also, what would be the best fabric choice? I got my self gabardine in the darker (close to the image) color, but I also feel like that might not have been the best choice...I'm always really bad at fabric choices.
Always use whatever color you want. It's your cosplay! Personally, I usually tone down the colors even if they were super-vibrant, unless the brighter colors are an exceptionally good fit for the character, since I like my costumes to look more real and less cartoon (just my preference). The fact that the darker red is more accurate here just makes your choice even better. ^_^

Bias trim would be ideal for the yellow portions. While you could just use strips of fabric, bias tape sews on so much nicer even on straight lines, but it will make those cuffs and corners so much easier. You can use the packets at any sewing store, or, if you want the fabrics to really match, buy a length of yellow/gold fabric that looks good with your main fabric, and make it on your own. This takes absolutely forever, though, comparatively.

And gabardine is a fabric that has been used for military uniforms and other jackets in the past. These days I've noticed a distinct trend to flowy rather than stiff, but it depends on the manufacturer. If your fabric isn't stiff enough to hold the shape of the jacket, just line the body in a nice, stiff fabric (preferably a cotton so that it will breathe better), interface the cuffs and collar, and put shoulder pads or sleeve heads in the shoulders to make them peak. I think the gabardine will have a nice look for it.

If you really want to replace your fabric (though I think you'll be fine with what you have), look for a heavy-weight wool (or wool blend) felted suiting. Through the first decades of the early 1900s, a heavy felted wool called Melton wool was used in most military uniforms for it's warmth in winter (and, incidentally, summer, but that wasn't important), and it's ability to shed smells and dirt, which is helpful in the field (and let me tell you, wool really won't hold a smell, I have four wool costumes to prove it). Also, warm when wet, good for a naval commander!

Finally finished with my overly-parenthetical long-windedness! I hope at least a little of that helped! ^_^

Last edited by harmonyisarine : 08-06-2012 at 12:10 PM.
harmonyisarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #1788
PetiteAltesse

Started on the armor! C:

Unread 08-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #1789
tereshkova2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayah View Post
Hey guys, this has probably been mentioend in the previous 100+ pages but does anyone have any tips as to do zuko's sash from season 3?
[Reference 1] [Reference 2]
I may just do one strip of fabric for the under sash thing, then pull another fabric strand over it and knot it on the front where I'll wrap yet another piece of fabric around it and safety pin it but if there is a better way to do it with less BS I'd love to know P:
No, that's about right. There's no seam or overlap in the back or the front, so it can't be a single belt. Either accept that cartoon clothing doesn't work like human clothing and let it overlap, or use 3 separate pieces. I've got one that's the main belt, which I tie in front. Then I have a small modesty panel I pin behind the knot, so as to get that smooth gold backing. I have a third small scrap which I wrap around the knot and pin. The actual style of his belt knots varies, and you could probably research Japanese martial art belts and find a good decorative knot. I didn't have quite enough length of fabric to tie one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetiteAltesse View Post
Started on the armor! C:
Leatherwork! *fistbump of solidarity* I can't wait to see how yours turns out.

Last edited by tereshkova2001 : 08-09-2012 at 08:47 AM.
tereshkova2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #1790
harmonyisarine

Quote:
Started on the armor! C:
Looks fantastic! I love to see leather on costumes like this! Your mask is also pretty boss.

So, I'm starting an Amon and we're going to be doing the armor out of leather. I've sewn leather, I've tooled leather, but this will be my first armor experience... mind if I shoot you some questions if I run into issues? (It's all right if you don't, I <i>think</i> I have it figured out, I'm just nervous that I'll make a mistake and waste my friend's leather money.)
Unread 08-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #1791
tereshkova2001

If PetiteAltesse can't answer your questions, I can give it a shot. My partner in crime is an SCA fighter who has made both steel and leather armor, and helped me shape my leather Zuko armor this past weekend. It looks awesome. In fact, I should post some photos someplace.
Unread 08-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #1792
Black_The_White

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaxCore View Post
So, I've started working on Commander Bumi and I was looking... and it seems to be a dark red/burgundy color, but the few people I've seen use a brighter red... so now I'm wondering if I should just stick to the more canon color or just use the same color everyone else did?
This is one of those 'its up to you' choices as far as the color goes. I personally try to stick to the canon colors versus what colors people use. It looks better, in my opinion, if it's what is canon or at least closer.

Conventions
Anime LA 2015
Fanime 2015

Last edited by Black_The_White : 08-09-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Black_The_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #1793
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

So, bought my fabric for my Azula costume. It's so cuddly x.x I love it. It should have the right amount of drape in the right ways as well.

I'm ordering the wig today. I'm so excited. I bought dark brown and I'm going to dye it dark....er brown. It's a Luthien The bottle of Rit Dye is sitting in front of me. When styling the wig I have a couple of ides.

First, I'm going to cut the bangs out of extensions and then hide them within the wig instead of cutting them out of the wig itself.

Second I'm going to put a few wefts in the back that will be sewn in upside down. That way, I can put it up in her classic high ponytail as well. May even make that hair pin she wears as well. That way I'll have the option of doing Azula before her fall. I'm excited.

For the armor, I was considering doing it in three pieces. For the top armor, it will be broken in to two. The chest and back armor will be connected to the side upper arm armor. Then I'm going to make a way for the shoulder armor to connect to it. The chest armor will be held together with black elastic so I can just slip it on.

I'm thinking about making it out of cardboard then putting a layer of craft foam over it and then using spray adhesive to put fake leather over it before trimming it with goldish yellow bias tape.

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Done/Working On/Pattern/Not started

Pants Tunic Dickie Surcoat Armor Boots Belt Wig
Check out my new facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/kesracosplay
Kesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #1794
harmonyisarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tereshkova2001 View Post
If PetiteAltesse can't answer your questions, I can give it a shot. My partner in crime is an SCA fighter who has made both steel and leather armor, and helped me shape my leather Zuko armor this past weekend. It looks awesome. In fact, I should post some photos someplace.
Thank you! Like I said, I've done my research and have tooling experience, but I'm really nervous about shaping since leather's expensive and it's not mine. ^_^ It may be a couple weeks till I'm ready, but I'll do some test pieces and come back with questions.

And seriously, post that Zuko armor! I'd love to see it!
Unread 08-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #1795
PetiteAltesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by tereshkova2001 View Post
Leatherwork! *fistbump of solidarity* I can't wait to see how yours turns out.
*fistbump* I knew I had to make it out of leather. Craft foam and pleather are way too flimsy for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonyisarine View Post
Looks fantastic! I love to see leather on costumes like this! Your mask is also pretty boss.

So, I'm starting an Amon and we're going to be doing the armor out of leather. I've sewn leather, I've tooled leather, but this will be my first armor experience... mind if I shoot you some questions if I run into issues? (It's all right if you don't, I <i>think</i> I have it figured out, I'm just nervous that I'll make a mistake and waste my friend's leather money.)
Thank you! C:

Awesome! Another fellow leather armored Amon. I love it when people go all out and use tough materials to get that perfect look. I knew, when I saw his design, that I would need to use leather.

Sure thing! I will be more than happy to help you. Want me to link you to some leather sales? In case you need more.
Unread 08-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #1796
harmonyisarine

Quote:
Thank you! C:

Awesome! Another fellow leather armored Amon. I love it when people go all out and use tough materials to get that perfect look. I knew, when I saw his design, that I would need to use leather.

Sure thing! I will be more than happy to help you. Want me to link you to some leather sales? In case you need more.
If you have non-Tandy sites, then yes, please! Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I saw every piece of leather on sale there last night. What weight did you use?

And I know what you mean for tough materials. I taught myself how to make leather boots two years ago because vinyl boot covers wouldn't cut it, and I think I've had wool in all of my costumes, despite attending summer cons, just to get that look.
Unread 08-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #1797
PetiteAltesse

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330638135850...84.m1497.l2649 <--- that's where my fiancee orders all of his leather. He's been using a medium weight (about 5 ounces or so), but he would like to move to the lager 7 to 10 ounce.

We do the same for our costumes. We want it to look it's best, so if that means being hot in layers, or in wool, then we'll deal with it (or take it to a winter con).
Unread 08-16-2012, 01:32 AM   #1798
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

Blarg. Accidentally bought a pack of single fold bias tape instead of double. Bummer.

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Done/Working On/Pattern/Not started

Pants Tunic Dickie Surcoat Armor Boots Belt Wig
Check out my new facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/kesracosplay
Kesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #1799
tereshkova2001

Woo I'm done enough to share photos!

Mantle and pauldrons by tereshkova2001, on Flickr

Breastplate by tereshkova2001, on Flickr

The leather in both cases has the same flame pattern and dye color; the lighting was just slightly off and my cell phone camera doesn't do a great job.
I've also finished my bracers, greaves, and sabatons (foot armor). I have some more assembly to do (like the collar on the mantle) and then I have to lace everything together and figure out exactly how it stays on me. The pauldrons are just kind of wedged into place at the moment; there will be actual leather lacing holding them in the right location.
Unread 08-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #1800
TK2386
The Cadet

I was hoping to be able to sculpt up a nice Zuko scar on my life cast and cast the scar in silicon for Dragon*con, but ran out of time to gather all the molding materials required for that process. So, I built up a sort of quick and dirty prosthetic using liquid latex. It should work for Dragon*con, and then I'll sculpt up a much nice, more realistic burned skin prosthetic to use in the future.

Plain liquid latex:

Quick and dirty make up job: