Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-12-2003, 09:44 PM   #1
Recca-kun

Ky Kiske - GGX

Ok so a friend told me last week that she was indeed going to cosplay Jam Kuradoberi from GGX at Katsucon, who is one of my favorite characters and was my one condition for making Ky Kiske. As far as the actual costume goes I want to make the same color/ two-button version of Ky, which won't be that different thankfully (dark teal instead of blue, and brunette instead of blonde) but will be different enough from the normal Ky.

Pictures ( some are fanart but you get the idea):
Color- 1 2 3
Sketches- 4 5

Before I got started I wanted to ask some questions/opinions...

1) Are there any parts that can be done by altering patterns? It would be much easier personally instead of going from scratch. To me it looks like the inner part is almost a lightweight trenchcoat or jacket, and then would there be a pattern for the top part (I want to call it a mantle but that's probably not the right word)?

2) Gloves/Gauntlets. The belts around them are easy enough, but any suggestions for the rest of the stuff (stuff that should be plastic but most likely won't)? Boots could do the same if it would work, although I'm thinking boot covers for those.

3) The sword. Any thoughts for materials? Maybe lightweight wood, although I hope that would be alright with staff.

Sorry to be spazzing guys, it's just that even though I'm usually good about doing costumes when it's close to the wire this one may take awhile if it turns out well, and at least half of the month will be spent at college. ^_^;

Anyway, will there be any other GGX(X) people at Katsu? I know there were a lot last year and I took pictures of a few...
Recca-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-14-2003, 05:01 PM   #2
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

Ack...don't bring that up. O_o* Can't do another group...too many cosplays for Katsu already. I think a lot of former cosplayers are retiring from the GGX scene for a bit, which was why I wasn't gonna bring Baiken this year. (That's okay cuz I don't look like her. At all...)

Anyway, for the gloves and such, I don't know if his are necessarily plastic-y...I think vinyl would do for most of it (check for the colored stuff by the roll or uphostelry fabric by the flat fold). Also check out old knee pads, safety harnesses, sport supplies etc. We used shoulder guards from a skating vest for my niece's May (for her gauntlet thingies) and just spraypainted them white.

As far as his sword, it is a pretty simple design (as far as cosplay weaponry usually goes) it's just really big. As long as you aren't aiming to have it light up or anything, you probably could get away with using a few layers of thin balsa wood. It's kinda a boxy shape anyway and not really metallic, so it's the most stable and cheapest material for the look. I'd recommend rubberizing it after you're done painting it tho...it'll make the edges softer without visually ruining them and also make the sword 'bounce' should it bang into anything. That should help appease the security peeps if they're being annoying. If you need any more references, I have the drafting art works book, so I can scan in some of the animation images for you if you want.
Unread 01-15-2003, 03:10 AM   #3
bANgZ
instrument of your death!

i love that ky costume!
Unread 01-15-2003, 07:30 PM   #4
Emeralda

I should probably AIM you this, but hell.. this way you can always look it up again.

Find a pattern in the costume section for either a duster, or a Civil War greatcoat. That will give you the mantle piece at the top, and just forgo the fact that they're going to want to make it double breasted, just leave the bottom open. That way you can cover the buttons or whatever closure you use with the front piece that's blue/teal.

For the gloves and gauntlets, I'd have to say.. umm maybe stiffened felt. Since you could probably find it in matching colors, and it would be easy to work in, as opposed to plastics.

And I don't have a clue on the sword.. sorry. I suck majorly at props.
Unread 01-15-2003, 11:58 PM   #5
Ellie Vyle

try foam-core board usually find that at like office depot or something, stamples maybe. it's a piece of poster-board on top of a layer of styro-foam. easy to cut, light-weight, becareful of banging it as it's pretty easy to break. (use a dowelrod for the center base)
Ellie Vyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2003, 08:11 PM   #6
Saeru
What is life w/o meaning?

Having done a Ky costume, I've got one suggestion. At wal-mart you can puschase this stuff in the craft section for the armor(like the gauntlets). Its called flexifoam, I think. Basically...its a sheet of semi-thick, fairly smooth foam, and it comes in many colors. The best part is...you can sew through it.
For the little circular buttons, I bought wooden car wheels in the craft section and spray painted them, then used velcro to keep em on. Seems to work like a charm!
Good luck.
Saeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2003, 08:50 AM   #7
TheLoneWolf
The Beast From The East

Firstly,dude: Stop reading my mind!!!

For Ky's top,I'd have to say that a civil war greatcoat is the way to go.As for his gloves,I'd have to say they're very vinyl-y,the only stiff part being his glove's upperside,look for modable plastic for that.
Try looking for stuff like:
http://www.fcsutler.com/fcusunifgreatcoats.asp
or
The M-016 Federal Mounted Services Overcoat here:
http://www.fcsutler.com/fcpatterns.asp

Last edited by TheLoneWolf : 04-06-2003 at 01:11 PM.
TheLoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2003, 01:12 PM   #8
TheLoneWolf
The Beast From The East

This might also work out for Ky. Pattern A
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bk3084b.jpg (20.7 KB, 14 views)
TheLoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2003, 06:51 PM   #9
AngilAdora
:3

Wah! Ky is soooo cute! =^^= He is my fav character in GGX! I wanted to cosplay as Jam.... -_-;; But I'm already doin alotta costumes... Maybe next year?
Unread 04-06-2003, 11:03 PM   #10
Recca-kun

That's fine, I may or may not have him for this year but will definitely have him sometime next. ^_^; Thanks for the help though everyone.
Recca-kun is offline   Reply With Quote