Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-13-2003, 03:25 AM   #1
Mizuho
Sara the Spider!

Help! What are those "Bodies" called that you fit clothes on?

What are those models that seamstresses use called?

They are basically a soft, adjustable torso on a metal stand... What are those things called?

Also, can anyone tell me about how much do those things go for, used?
Mizuho is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-13-2003, 03:40 AM   #2
MargauxZ
rox0rz your sox0rz

Dressforms?

Alot.
MargauxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2003, 03:41 AM   #3
Hikaruchan
Have camera, will travel

Type in dressform or dress form on ebay search
http://pages.ebay.com/search/items/basicsearch.html
to see prices or new & used
Hikaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2003, 04:40 AM   #4
Oshidori
Jesus is my homeboy!

don't get the adjustable ones though! they suck!

I spent waaay too much on mine, but that was due to sheer laziness. But it was brand new, and matches my measurements near perfect! (not to mention no more late nights at school and all)

Leela: Bender, maybe you can interface with the Femputer and
reprogram it to let them go?
Bender: Maybe you can interface with my ass... by biting it!
Oshidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2003, 04:58 AM   #5
nekochan
PILE IT ON!! xD

mannequins?
Unread 01-13-2003, 05:10 AM   #6
moo
I shall wake up Sensei.

Quote:
Originally posted by Oshidori
Can you enlighten me as to why they suck? I was looking around for a dressform and the ones you have to add pads to cost much more than the adjustable ones. I figure I better gather opinions of them before plunking down all that dinero.
moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2003, 06:16 AM   #7
Alaria
Arrowed!!

hai mannequins. also spelled mannekins by some straaange people. I got one from e-bay for 30...ones that actually fit u clothes (NOT the half torsos that u hang from something) are usually a couple hundred from fabrics or craft stores, so an online auction or recycler.com is ur best bet
Unread 01-13-2003, 06:40 AM   #8
MargauxZ
rox0rz your sox0rz

Mannequins and dressforms are 2 different things and have 2 totally different purposes.

Dressforms are made so you can "build the pattern on" or "drape" a garment. It is soft so you can stick pins in it, and fit the garment or pattern pieces to the "form." A mannequin is a hard human shaped piece of plastic or vinyl that you put clothes on for display purposes. I guess you could build things on a mannequin if you tried really really hard, and don't get discouraged easily..... But it's really for display.
MargauxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2003, 06:43 AM   #9
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Aeris accidentally got the wrong size dressform so we have an extra one if anyone wants to buy it. It's a size "medium" dressform from JoAnn's -
http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?C...2&PRODID=57119
It's brand new, we put it together and then found out it was the wrong size, then put it back into the box a few days later. I'll dump it for $60+shipping (probably 10-15 bucks via regular UPS but don't quote me on it, it's light but bulky).

If anyone is interested in buying it, PM me and I'll get back to you once I double-check that all the parts are still in the box from the move.
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2003, 06:53 AM   #10
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Quote:
Not so! I have a Fabulous Fit form, which you customize to your own shape and size through pads and a stretchy outer cover, and it's WONDERFUL. I can make it fit the idiosyncracies of my shape perfectly, and I can change it as I change.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2003, 07:19 AM   #11
Alaria
Arrowed!!

*nods* hai, margaux, but when u look on e-bay, the soft dress forms are usually lumped under mannequins as well o-o At least with my luck with it; when I put in dress-forms I get little miniatures
Unread 01-13-2003, 09:13 AM   #12
peaseblossom
Admiral Hardass

Adjustable dressforms are GREAT! I got a new one for Christmas from my Dad ( Hancock's on sale for $99) . It is such a big help!
Unread 01-13-2003, 01:12 PM   #13
A J
sets ovens on fire

Koumori,

I think by adjustable they mean the ones with the dials. I have one and I can see how it wouldn't be that sturdy. The metal bands that hold it open are not incredibly strong so you have to be careful, but it gets the job done and I got it really cheap with a coupon at JoAnns.
Unread 01-13-2003, 02:08 PM   #14
Oshidori
Jesus is my homeboy!

Quote:
Can you enlighten me as to why they suck?
sure, they break down easily. I've been warned by so many people not to buy them because of that. Plus, it's got these gaps between the peices, which, depending on what you're doing, can really make you want to tear your hair out when you need the form to be continuous in those areas. Sometimes the peices get bent in or out, which can totally screw up your measurements. Other than Koumori (it really was a shock to hear someone praise it lol, when i was shopping for one i got so many warnings it was burned onto my brain that adjustable= bad), i don't know another person that's bought one that didn't say it was a waste of money afterwards. (mind you, they break down after a few years, like 3 or 4, not immediately)

Meanwhile, my mother has had her dressform since '82, and it's still in great condition (minus the trackmarks from where my psycho cat ran up and down it for 10 years) There are some at school that have been there from the late 60's that are still in very good condition.

So, if you don't mind that, then the adjustable is good in terms of price. For an industrial dressform, at retail, you'll be spending at least 300$ more. What i suggest, is if your city has any sort of garment district, visit those buildings and ask maintenance what companies are closing down. Then head up to those companies and ask if they're trying to get rid of stuff. My mother bought her dress form for only 20$ that way. Yours might not be *as* cheap (remember, it was 1982), but anything under 400 is GOOD.

Also, if you can, DO NOT get collapsible forms. They break down easier to. And if you get a collapsible, never collapse it!!

ok the end

Leela: Bender, maybe you can interface with the Femputer and
reprogram it to let them go?
Bender: Maybe you can interface with my ass... by biting it!
Oshidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2003, 02:40 PM   #15
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Quote:
Other than Koumori (it really was a shock to hear someone praise it lol, when i was shopping for one i got so many warnings it was burned onto my brain that adjustable= bad),
Bear in mind, I didn't get the kind with the dials; mine is adjustable with pads. Which is my other objection to the dial type - while you can adjust the circumference, you are still stuck with the basic shape and dimensions of the dress form, while with my padded form I can replicate all of the idiosyncracies of MY body (low bust, broad shoulders, etc.) that I could not duplicate on a dial-type form.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote