Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Unread 01-13-2003, 04:35 PM   #1
Carmila
Katsucon Pocky Tart

Manga vs. Show Costumes

I was thinking of redoing my Kurumi then I came across the Steel Angels Manga and realized that the Manga costume is so much cuter. So, I think I will do it for the Manga, but am wondering what people will say.

Which do you prefer to make?

Join the Carmy Army!
http://www.thesteelangel.com/carmsboobs.gif
Carmila is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-13-2003, 06:34 PM   #2
soshi
onna kaizoku

It doesn't matter what people say - it's all about YOU being happy with YOUR costume. ^^

on another note ~ sometimes manga versions are more detailed and stylized.. I usually prefer manga designs over anime ones. ex.. Integral. *points to icon* ^^

And yes, this means you.
soshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2003, 08:13 PM   #3
KaitouKurogo
Whee! I'm Expendable!

Very much so agreement with Soshi. It doesn't matter which version of a costume you do as long as it's something you want and something that makes you happy.

However, playing both fields as I usually do, I personally prefer manga costumes. Under general purpose for keeping animation costs low, animators will have a character wear only one set of clothing and have it constant throughout the entire series. In the manga version, however, a character can have a nearly infinate wardrobe and gives much greater possibilities.

Still, it's all your personal preference.
--The First True Dark Link-- (Legend of Zelda, AX05)
KaitouKurogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2003, 09:06 PM   #4
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Quote:
Originally posted by KaitouKurogo

However, playing both fields as I usually do, I personally prefer manga costumes. Under general purpose for keeping animation costs low, animators will have a character wear only one set of clothing and have it constant throughout the entire series. In the manga version, however, a character can have a nearly infinate wardrobe and gives much greater possibilities.
Sure - but that also makes it a lot easier for other fans to recognize you if you wear the outfit from the anime, since it's the one most visibly associated with any individual character.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2003, 09:09 PM   #5
Radical Urd
Good to be Back

Soshi!!!!!!! I'm making a blue Intergral costume from the Manga!!!!!!!! Coolieos!! But I too prefer manga to anime costumes, because I prefer manga to anime, basically. I like the way its drawn better and how you get to know the artist thru this better. But I think manga costumes are prettier and there are more of them.
Radical Urd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2003, 09:36 PM   #6
KaitouKurogo
Whee! I'm Expendable!

Quote:
Originally posted by Koumori
Sure - but that also makes it a lot easier for other fans to recognize you if you wear the outfit from the anime, since it's the one most visibly associated with any individual character.
Very true and an excellent point. For many people, it's all about the photo-ops. ^_^ It's always nice to be recognized in costume. Personally, I think I'd be happier being recognized by one or two fans while in an obscure costume. Jus' me, I guess.
--The First True Dark Link-- (Legend of Zelda, AX05)
KaitouKurogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2003, 01:10 AM   #7
findthefullmoon

Quote:
Very true and an excellent point. For many people, it's all about the photo-ops. ^_^ It's always nice to be recognized in costume. Personally, I think I'd be happier being recognized by one or two fans while in an obscure costume. Jus' me, I guess.
I'm the same way. I tend to cosplay characters I love and often times people come up to me and say, "Cute! Errr... who're you?" I'm into cosplay to make cool outfits, improve my sewing skills, and run around dressed like someone fictional to appease the voices in my head. It's all for fun, right?

As for Anime vs. Manga version, I tend to get into the manga first and then the anime (*shrug* no idea why that is) so I'm usually more attached to the manga version. But it depends on which version you like more and which one is most realistic for you to make. ^_^

~Tori
findthefullmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2003, 10:31 AM   #8
Carmila
Katsucon Pocky Tart

I had lots of people ask me who I was at AWA this past year because SA was so new. The funny thing is after I told a few people, they even went and purchased the anime just to find out!

Join the Carmy Army!
http://www.thesteelangel.com/carmsboobs.gif
Carmila is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2003, 10:56 AM   #9
TheLoneWolf
The Beast From The East

I too prefer Manga to Anime costumes (don't ask why!)
But,IMO,Manga Costumes cooler and usually more do-able
TheLoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2003, 12:11 AM   #10
Freya
Doing the "FROdo"

Usually it doesn't matter to me if I do manga or anime styled versions but I've been having dillemas with my upcoming Yuki Sohma costume. In the manga it appears the boys' school uniforms are darkish blue but in the anime it is black.
Now I'm personally going with the black because it's more of a manlier color but I'm wondering what would people think if they've only read the manga? Or vice versa? "It's not the right color!" or whatnot? 0_o I'm confused...
Freya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2003, 07:42 AM   #11
scandia
Overachiever

If you like the character a lot, you can do both and make her your trademark

Anyhow, I do have to say that I do prefer manga versions. In fact, some of the costumes I have made are only found in manga artbook pics. I think I have made very few anime costumes- and they are series where there is only the anime or I have not read the manga at all, such as Nadesico.
scandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2003, 09:33 AM   #12
Scortia

Make whatever version you prefer. For my Ocarina costume (Violinist of Hameln), I'm melding the best qualities of both her anime and manga costumes into one. ^^
Unread 08-10-2003, 03:56 PM   #13
evaneko
under construction

I find that even between anime/manga versions of the same outfit that the manga versions usually have more pretty details. *_* I would say just do the one that is more appealing to you. If it isn't too far off the anime one you probably will still be recognized. ^^
evaneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2003, 10:00 PM   #14
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Quote:
KaitouKurogo, you seem to write in manner that is befitting of Xelloss, your avatar.

Returning to the topic, one has to enjoy the costume they are wearing. Is the purpose the making of the costume, or is it the desire to be recognized?
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2003, 11:50 PM   #15
Jehuty
"Lets go ADA!"

I'd say just go with it ( well it being the one you want to do most I guess that's the manga version ). Haven't read the manga for SA but i've seen some cover shots around the costumes look pretty much the same to me?
Jehuty is offline   Reply With Quote