Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Suggestions

Unread 05-14-2005, 09:27 PM   #1
Squall_009
Top Dog

Exclamation I need a challenging costume

Ok I guess you need a really hard costume to win a cosplay contest...so here are my stats...I can work a basic sewing machine...im taking classes all summer...my friends an expert at sewing...and I can do really good fx makeup..
i need costumes for Anime festival orlando, Jacon, and Megacon
...please help I really want to win....Oh and im cosplaying hiei with a latex jagan...and the dragon wraps around my arm and almost comes off it...but I need other costume ideas...
ps. Im a girl
Metrocon 09: Hetalia- ( England- Plain and Revolution), Gundam wing (duo maxwell)

Cosplay Making in Progress
Arthur kirkland (hetalia): 10 %
Arthur kirkland revolution: 5 %
Squall_009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2005, 09:47 PM   #2
Clueless Case
unce unce unce!

Trinity Blood..i have yet to see a good accurate american cosplay of i.

Taking Wig Commissions
Clueless Case is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2005, 10:22 PM   #3
Singe
Out of the Cosplay Loop

Well. I'd take a look at some of the J-Rock/Pop groups that are out there. The first one that pops into my head is any recent T.M. Revolution outfit due to the tons of small details that most people don't have the time to do, not to mention the awesomeness (is that a word?...) of some of the costumes.

And as far as the really hard costume thing to win a costume contest...that's not generally true. Most contests are divided by skill level and experience and judged on a variety of things, though a well made costume always helps.
Singe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2005, 11:16 PM   #4
Nina Star 9
Amano Tsukiko Addict

ah, megami-sama. when do you need this by? i hope you ahve a lot of time. XD i was about to suggest tsukiko amano in teh koe video, but the single will be released july 27th. ^^;; there is only a small portion of her costume released. ^^ (and i already want to cosplay it.)
Nina Star 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2005, 09:12 AM   #5
zekitty
Come along to rainbowland

I REALLY agree with Saeto... And on a personal note, I can't see why anyone would want to make a costume of a character they don't really like/know/want to cosplay unless the costume is complex.

But if you want a hard cosplay, cosplay Nightmare from Soul Calibur, a gundam from the Gundam series, or maybe something from Final Fantasy X-2 like Alchemist Yuna or Warrior Rikku? In my opinion, the most complex costumes out there involve armor and hard-to-make accessories.
San (Princess Mononoke)
Mamimi Samejima (FLCL)
Mika Itoh (Bible Black) -- maybe
Incredibly rainbowy raver

zekitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2005, 10:56 AM   #6
hoshikage
Zettai Cosplay Mokshiroku

I'm with Saeto on this one. The trouble is, you cannot ever guarantee that you will win something. You cannot control what other people will bring to the contest, you see. Or what the judges will like. (Or for that matter, sometimes even what the judges will SEE! They might not get to see your hard work up close at all!) If your goal is to do your best, and have fun, that is a goal you can acheive, every time. Trouble is, if your goal is to win - sometime, inevitably, you won't. If you go into cosplay determined to win, you are, in effect, merely setting yourself up for disappointment.

Last edited by hoshikage : 05-15-2005 at 11:03 AM.
hoshikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2005, 12:43 PM   #7
Squall_009
Top Dog

thanks for some Ideas...but really Im not fueled totally by winning ...I have done a few simple costumes..Van from escaflowne..and kurama from yu yu hakusho...but I want a challenging costume...Im just bored with the simple costumes...I see so many people make so many good costumes and not win..somone did sheshomarru( her name was misty) and had the claw arm that he replaced his real one with...hand made armor...beutifully done fx work and they looked right over her for the easily done costumes...personally I think the judges just pic people they know personally or friends..I would just like somthing to show for hard work...and a good costume that looks clean and nice...Im trying to go as more girls but I cross play...I was thinking sakura from naruto(yes its overdone)...but I need some more ideas...some j- rockers(I love dir en gray..) or some video game char...I was thinking also of doing duo maxwell(shinigami version) but I need alot of time for the wings..oh by the way thanks sato you gave me some very good advice.. I didnt think anyone would post ...
Metrocon 09: Hetalia- ( England- Plain and Revolution), Gundam wing (duo maxwell)

Unread 05-15-2005, 01:04 PM   #8
Digital Blush
Nextcon: Dallas Comic-con

if you want to make a challenging costume go through the list of your favorite characters.. one is bound to be a challenging costume @_@.

Digital Blush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2005, 01:46 PM   #9
Nina Star 9
Amano Tsukiko Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchiha
if you want to make a challenging costume go through the list of your favorite characters.. one is bound to be a challenging costume @_@.
well, i know that in my case, i want a challenging, detailed, colourful costume, but i know of no characters at all with a costume like that. ^^;
Unread 05-15-2005, 01:52 PM   #10
Squall_009
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina Star 9
well, i know that in my case, i want a challenging, detailed, colourful costume, but i know of no characters at all with a costume like that. ^^;
I know how you feel...thats what I was aiming at...

Unread 05-15-2005, 02:01 PM   #11
Nina Star 9
Amano Tsukiko Addict

how some people on here tends to think they can choose what everyone else feels seems kinda wrong to me, but, whatever... at least i understood what you mean! XD
Unread 05-15-2005, 02:07 PM   #12
Squall_009
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina Star 9
how some people on here tends to think they can choose what everyone else feels seems kinda wrong to me, but, whatever... at least i understood what you mean! XD
I didnt mean it that way...I was just saying I know kinda what you mean not how you feel....

Unread 05-15-2005, 02:10 PM   #13
Nina Star 9
Amano Tsukiko Addict

no, i was not reffering to you! not at all! i was refering to all the people that assume things and say things like "just cosplay what you like". well, what is there are no costumes that you kknow of that you like or want to cosplay? what is you want somethign differnt? tha tis what i meant. sorry. ^^
Unread 05-15-2005, 02:43 PM   #14
kiwi
DATURA

There is an elegance in "simplicity". Most trained judges are more awed by something done immaculately well than something extremely complex that isn't hemmed correctly. Start with what you can do well, and work from there. As others have said, you will be extremely disappointed if you make an elaborate costume for the sole purpose of winning and then don't win. It's very difficult to win a cosplay award; not only is there a lot of competition for a small number of awards, but also every judge has different tastes and looks for something different. It's impossible to know how any judge at a given con is going to lean.

If all you want is attention, pick a costume of a popular male hero. You'll get attention then whether or not it's a complex costume.
kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2005, 04:17 PM   #15
dead pixle
insert quirky title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Case
Trinity Blood..i have yet to see a good accurate american cosplay of i.
I think this is an awsome version of it tho: http://www.storms-end.com/japanphoto...nity_blood.jpg