Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 05-15-2005, 03:49 PM   #1
hoshikage
Zettai Cosplay Mokshiroku

Makeup Critique/Advice wanted

So I did a test run this morning for my new Synergy (Jem and the Holograms) costume, and the makeup really didn't turn out as well as I was hoping. So I'm looking for some advice on how to improve it. I have a couple of ideas for things to try, but I think that the more ideas I get, the better off I'll be!

Here are the photos:
http://images.cosplay.com/showgaller...465&userid=984

Thanks!
hoshikage is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2005, 04:39 PM   #2
kaligoddess
Frost Fanatic

Insert obligatory squealing. You are awesome.

The skin make up looks a little more pink than the bodysuit to me, but that could be my monitor. Could you add a little blue to it? Or is it straight out of a container and that color?

I don't know if the makeup in the picture is the only makeup you are planning to wear, but Synergy has really, really 80's fire-engine red lipstick going on. I think adding that would really bring out the 80's awesomeness of the costume. When doing your final make up, I also suggest pencilling in some thin black eyebrows.

Overall, I'm really impressed with how smooth and even the full face makeup is. Hell, I'm just impressed you made the costume.

You have no idea how badly I just want to show this off to everybody I grew up with. Its just that awesome.

Last edited by kaligoddess : 05-15-2005 at 04:46 PM.
kaligoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2005, 04:55 PM   #3
hoshikage
Zettai Cosplay Mokshiroku

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligoddess
The skin make up looks a little more pink than the bodysuit to me, but that could be my monitor. Could you add a little blue to it? Or is it straight out of a container and that color?
It does come out of a container that color, but I did also buy a container of blue just in case of too much pink-ness. I could try mixing some blue in, though I'm a little concerned about ending up with an uneven, mottled tone (it's a creme foundation, and prefers to smudge and smear rather than coat evenly). Also, the difficult thing is it really depends drastically on what the lighting is like - those were taken on a cloudy day outdoors with no flash, but I discovered that if we did use flash, it yellowed everything and made the color (and the shininess) a lot closer to the unitard. So now what do I do - compensate for flash photos, since those are mostly what will be taken? Or compensate for real life, the way people will see me in person? It's a really tough dilemma. :/

I'll try mixing some blue in on my next makeup test, though.

Quote:
I don't know if the makeup in the picture is the only makeup you are planning to wear, but Synergy has really, really 80's fire-engine red lipstick going on. I think adding that would really bring out the 80's awesomeness of the costume. When doing your final make up, I also suggest pencilling in some thin black eyebrows.
Huh, I thought I should go for more of a hot pink lip look, but I'll try fire-engine red next time since I've got some of that lying around too. You're right on the eyebrows, though I wasn't sure if I should try black - they definitely do need to be darker, though. (Especially since this is intended for stage...)

Quote:
Overall, I'm really impressed with how smooth and even the full face makeup is. Hell, I'm just impressed you made the costume.
Thanks! I'm glad you like it. But I still must do better on the makeup next time. *is a perfectionist*
hoshikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2005, 08:51 PM   #4
kaligoddess
Frost Fanatic

FYI, I'm going partially from doll images, and partially from screencaps, so my colors may be off. It looks like red or reddish orange lipstick to me, but a very bright pink might work as well. I guess the point is just to go for that 80's look.

I hate flash photography for what it does to colors. Since you will be indoors at a con, I guess work for what looks best in that light and worry about everything else second.
Unread 05-15-2005, 09:40 PM   #5
kheal_chan
Samantha

I pretty much agree with kali, though maybe add some translucent powder so your not quite as shiny. and it might dull out the pink some. But over all, im quite impressed! then again im just happy someone did Jem cosplay..... >_>;; (<--- is still a geek of the 80's)

.....now all i need is a goonies cosplayer and im set!
kheal_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2005, 01:20 PM   #6
angellover02171

all you need is a darker purple in the right places to contor you face. you should put some fake eyelashes on and ultra black eyeliner. you face color was too thin and your face was too shinny. you use more of the purple base and make you own powder using purple eyeshadow. you can contour your lips so they look like a cupids bow and make you top lip a little bigger. don't use the pink lipstick. you hsould go with the 1950's red lipstick color.

Last edited by angellover02171 : 05-21-2005 at 01:23 PM.
angellover02171 is offline   Reply With Quote